Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Elentor posted:

I've been told to just get her as soon as possible, c/d?

If you like Amber's charged shot aim at the head while people are distracting by a taunt playstyle, then Ganyu is right up your alley and objectively better in almost every way (Baron Bunny is much cuter than Ganyu's taunt.)

Anyway Cyno seems fun and funny but he is also a cop for the Akademiya so nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Elentor posted:

I've been told to just get her as soon as possible, c/d?

Her banner is only available for a few more days, but while it's up you should definitely shove your primos into trying to snag a lucky Ganyu before she's gone if you like charged shot archery. It's difficult to justify sticking with Amber in the long run since she's one of the few characters who's really pretty weak, but Ganyu is easily worth sinking all of your resources into.

There's another great charged shot-based archer (Tighnari) but he was on the banner just before Ganyu. Really your best bet is to try going back in time and starting this game just a few weeks earlier.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Vargs posted:

Her banner is only available for a few more days, but while it's up you should definitely shove your primos into trying to snag a lucky Ganyu before she's gone if you like charged shot archery. It's difficult to justify sticking with Amber in the long run since she's one of the few characters who's really pretty weak, but Ganyu is easily worth sinking all of your resources into.

There's another great charged shot-based archer (Tighnari) but he was on the banner just before Ganyu. Really your best bet is to try going back in time and starting this game just a few weeks earlier.
It is truly said: "The best time to start playing Genshin is two years ago. The second best time is right now."

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Take your time, you'll go mad trying to "catch up" to everyone else. Trying to get to and finish the last summer event with only a week left was an exercise in exhaustion for me.

Trying to decide if I should use my last free pulls on this version to finally get Kokomi, or save the guarantee and soft pity I'm at for Nahida.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nahida, as someone that rolled for her on the first run ever.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The ability to save weapon/artifact sets per team sure would be nice.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Now you gotta do the follow-up Anna quests!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Now you gotta do the follow-up Anna quests!
That's fine, I still have business in Mondstadt.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 25, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just so I'm clear here, I'm looking at Ganyu's coefficients and her charged arrow is just... a lot better than Amber's, and it splashes even if you miss?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elentor posted:

Just so I'm clear here, I'm looking at Ganyu's coefficients and her charged arrow is just... a lot better than Amber's, and it splashes even if you miss?

Correct. Ganyu hits like an absolute truck.

In general 5-star characters like Ganyu are going to have higher stats and higher multipliers than 4-stars, though that doesn't mean 4-stars are bad (in fact many of the game's early 4-stars are among the best characters in the game).

sandorius
Nov 13, 2013

Elentor posted:

Yeah, people joke about Ganyu having a rocket launcher all the time. She's still meta even after a year and a half, and if you set her up right she can do more damage in three shots than most characters can in half a minute. She's also very fun in coop because you can sit back and watch people struggle while lobbing artillery shots from a safe distance.

Having said that, charged shot gameplay can be annoying, especially on mobile, and I feel like an idiot every time I line up a headshot, miss, and watch it go sailing off into the distance.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Before Ganyu came out people joked that she was just "5-star Amber" because their playstyles are fairly similar. Those jokes stopped when Ganyu released and people saw just how powerful her rocket launcher is.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Elentor posted:

Oh hey Elentor! Glad to see you here!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Elentor posted:

Yes. For whatever reason when the game launched charged shots were totally, horribly undertuned. There's a lot of support for the mechanic in weapons and artifacts but baseline it's just unbelievably weak. This why Amber's kit feels like total nonsense, because charged shots basically aren't real and it's what she's theoretically meant to use. Ganyu's is 2.5x as strong as a normal charge attack and even then the only way the charge attack damage keeps up with other five star options in the game is due to its special melt interaction.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 22, 2022

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

basically the only way for amber to be a remotely functional character is to get her to c2 and do bunny explosion gimmicks, glitch out the game with rapid aiming/unaiming to rapidfire, or just use her at c6 as a generic buff bot with a 5* weapon.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

trying to get constellation for the Standard characters though....oof

except the ones that rotate in the shop obviously

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I don't even remember who Anna is. At first I thought that was the blind girl and I was like :eyepop: but I guess thats Glory.

Kale
May 14, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I don't even remember who Anna is. At first I thought that was the blind girl and I was like :eyepop: but I guess thats Glory.

Anna is the one who is apparently sick and her brother is trying to look after her and theres a daily commision where she runs away and you find her either at the top of a windmill or on the Barbatos statue. She's not anywhere near as involved in the story as say Dunyazard though.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Elentor posted:

The splash is on impact, so depending on whether or not your shot him the ground or sailed over it may/may not catch in the aoe. You want headshots for Prototype Crescent (her big 4*) so when you miss you tend to miss big. It's not like this game is a twitch shooter but mobile is mobile and the accepted theory is that she's overtuned specifically because of mobile.

Dumb internet jokes aside she's really good, and good in a way that's kind of hard to nerf without outright nerfing freeze. She lags behind others on single target but there's always floors where you need multiple things dead fast and she's the queen of that. Being able to rocketsnipe stragglers from across the arena is just a bonus.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

She's the sister of the guy who picks coins up out of the fountain. You cure her with medicine from Dr Baizhu after fetching ingredients three times, then in 2.4 or so she got a long pointless commission chain following that with an achievement at the end (they gave the same kind of thing to little Meng in liyue at around the same time) which has to be the rarest achievement in the game.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Ah, yeah I just did the little Meng one recently. Pretty dumb.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
As a side note, the other 3 4 stars on Ganyu's banner are Xingqiu, Sucrose, and Dori. While getting materials for Dori may be a huge pain in the rear end, all 3 are good characters for a new player.

The only downside to Ganyu is she's powerful enough that she kinda changes your perspective on how you play the game.

edit: Don't feel bad if you miss out on her, You'll be missing out on lots of other 5 stars as you play. Unless you have deeper pockets than sense.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ganyu's really not above the curve in terms of power level, if I'm having trouble with an abyss room she's not someone I think about bringing. The best day of my genshin career was taking the amos bow and wanderer's pieces off of ganyu and putting them on Tighnari.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 22, 2022

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

ninjoatse.cx posted:

edit: Don't feel bad if you miss out on her, You'll be missing out on lots of other 5 stars as you play. Unless you have deeper pockets than sense.
I don't even see it as missing out, really. They'll all come around again eventually.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Endorph posted:

basically the only way for amber to be a remotely functional character is to get her to c2 and do bunny explosion gimmicks, glitch out the game with rapid aiming/unaiming to rapidfire, or just use her at c6 as a generic buff bot with a 5* weapon.

On the topic of that rapid aim thing, I've seen the clip of someone doing it, but it just doesn't work on the Playstation controller. Is there some rapidfire software running? Weirdly enough on my Playstation the camera angle slightly chances each time so the character slowly rotates.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unrelated: I still find it both annoying and amusing that Hoyo created a sword for Kazuha, perfectly matched to his aesthetic and part of a story that he plays a major role in, and didn't even try to make the sword actually make sense as something Kazuha would actually want to use

Like not even an EM or ER secondary stat. I wouldn't even mind if it wasn't as good on him as Iron Sting or Sac Sword or Favonius but it's just like not even in the same realm as a sword Kazuha would want to use

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I've had Ganyu since day 1 of her first banner and forget I even have her sometimes.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

ninjoatse.cx posted:

While getting materials for Dori may be a huge pain in the rear end,

No kidding, does anyone in sumeru sell plants?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Harrow posted:

Unrelated: I still find it both annoying and amusing that Hoyo created a sword for Kazuha, perfectly matched to his aesthetic and part of a story that he plays a major role in, and didn't even try to make the sword actually make sense as something Kazuha would actually want to use

Like not even an EM or ER secondary stat. I wouldn't even mind if it wasn't as good on him as Iron Sting or Sac Sword or Favonius but it's just like not even in the same realm as a sword Kazuha would want to use
You still have to use it, though. If you give him anything but a katana, you'll be thrown in jail by the fashion police.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

padijun posted:

I think theres an Aranara that does, hes a fat one thats underneath a rock archway.

just checked, he sells both the kalpalata lotus and the sick girl's mushrooms

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 22, 2022

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

padijun posted:

there's the above menitonned Aranara and also Ashpazi in Gandharva Ville - he sells 5 mushrooms

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

..I have just been informed that mushrooms are not technically plants

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

gandlethorpe posted:

I've had Ganyu since day 1 of her first banner and forget I even have her sometimes.

Same but only because playing bow characters on a controller was a complete pain in the rear end

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Excelzior posted:

Sounds like you need to listen to your Aranara friends more.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Sounds like you need to listen to your Aranara friends more.

the forest will remember

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I just got the second set of Anna dailies after her cure where she becomes an adventurer and starts doing daily commissions herself. I thought it was new with the Sumeru patch but apparently it's been in the game since Shenhe released back in 2.4.

Kind of funny that she's all excited for her first commission then she gets the same one again the next day and it slowly dawned on her what she signed up for.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

I'm the person paying the adventurer's guild to have an adventurer bounce on a bouncy mushroom five times

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Also playing Wack-a-shroom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Excelzior posted:

Legally, mushrooms are plants. Biologically, they aren’t.