Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Breya is a wincon in the command zone though. Her big selling point has always been that she’s the only infinite mana sink in those 4 colors plus her general synergy with artifacts.

She’s still a big threat and IMO super underrated right now even if Tymna/Kraum grind out value better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The two big problems with “cEDH Breya” are

A) Why not Tymna & Kraum? If you just want colors + value engine they are better

B) Breya is the most difficult 4-color commander to cast (no green) and the easiest to disrupt (can’t win through literally any Stax piece because she is a creature AND an artifact whose combos mostly rely on the Graveyard or other easily hateable zones).

Like, yes, Reya has a lot of text and does a lot of things and seems like she should transparently be very powerful and full of cool combos like Thopter Foundry etc, but the entire deck is completely made of glass without green, you could just literally die to a single Collector Ouphe.

That’s why you almost never see cEDH Breya at tables, Tymna//Kraum is just a safer/sturdier choice in the same colors with a laser focus on combos that work (Thoracle) vs combos that require a ton of set up and can be very easily disrupted (any combo that uses Breya)

You could build the deck you’re envisioning, but you have to spend more slots on janky combo pieces that do nothing than another Sans-green deck would, and they would absolutely bury you in card advantage while doing so.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The list linked just looked like a Thoracle/Breach deck with the addition of the Bomberman combo to win with Breya. I imagine it had to make some less than optimal choices to support Breya?

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Breya's fine. She gets over the threshold from high powered into cEDH without too much effort. Are there better decks? Sure, you should probably be playing Godo, MAD or Blue farm, or Inalla if you want the "most" competitive on paper. But during actual game play? She works perfectly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCXDKt4G_-Y

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Batterypowered7 posted:

The list linked just looked like a Thoracle/Breach deck with the addition of the Bomberman combo to win with Breya. I imagine it had to make some less than optimal choices to support Breya?

Yeah I mean you could also add Thopter Foundry combo, Time Sieve combo, Worldgorger Dragon Combo, Blasting Station Combo, etc, but like I said those are all just worse combos in your colors that require you to spend more slots on Dead combo cards in your deck, effectively negating the “benefit” of picking Breya over partners.

There isn’t really a good Breya centric combo that would stand out as being better or more effective/efficient than Thoracle, you’re just brewing/building/playing on hardmode.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

This is kinda just Kickstarter.txt tbh (not defending it) so I'm not super salty about it but I get what you're saying

Honestly I kinda like paying for something way in advance then basically forgetting about it until it just shows up, kind of a nice surprise

I'm in the same boat about it especially when the project is up front as to when actual delivery would be. And if there are delays then just being on the ball and notifying people about it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Breya's fine. She gets over the threshold from high powered into cEDH without too much effort. Are there better decks? Sure, you should probably be playing Godo, MAD or Blue farm, or Inalla if you want the "most" competitive on paper. But during actual game play? She works perfectly well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCXDKt4G_-Y

I'm still traumatized by that one video someone linked where the Inalla player took what felt like an eternity to loop several Wizards in order to tutor up the correct cards, in the correct order pertaining to the situation in order to win.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I wonder when wotc will finally make cards that prevent mill/library exile, and protect graveyards

Like, make an artifact with "if a player would mill any amount of cards, or any amount of cards would be exiled from a players library, put them on the bottom of their library in a random order instead"

Or an instant that phases out target players graveyard

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Silhouette posted:

I wonder when wotc will finally make cards that prevent mill/library exile, and protect graveyards

Like, make an artifact with "if a player would mill any amount of cards, or any amount of cards would be exiled from a players library, put them on the bottom of their library in a random order instead"

there are lots of cards that effectively reverse mill, so making a card so narrow as to only prevent mill from happening probably wont ever happen. Likewise the graveyard is the cause of 90% of modern magic's problems right now, injecting cards that protect your graveyard into formats like Modern or Legacy would be a total nightmare, so we'll probably never see these. Mill is only good in formats where its seeded with strong enough cards AND formats where Yorion is legal/good. If you find yourself in a heavy mill meta in Commander, consider jamming some Reanimate & Animate Dead into your decks and just zerging everyone's most broken bullshit for basically free, that's a good way to alert everyone to the mill player's threat and get the table to turn on them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Silhouette posted:

Giving yourself hexproof negates a few of the more common graveyard hate cards

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Wheel of Sun and Moon does this, though it's for one player. But precedent does exist so it's certainly possible they make more cards like it, though I think they prefer other forms of graveyard interaction like oneshot shuffle effects for protection or exile / "can't play cards from" effects for hate.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm talking about an edh specific anti-mill/exile card, to jam up thoracle shenanigans mostly, I'm not worried about the one dingus playing Bruvac and 35 Persistent Petitioners

It'd also screw Konrad and other similar decks, so it'd be kinda versatile

Edit: also a targeted instant that phases out the cards in a graveyard could also be used offensively

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Wheel of Sun and Moon on yourself is a good way to stop being milled

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Heath posted:

Wheel of Sun and Moon on yourself is a good way to stop being milled

Enchant the Thoracle player to prevent them from winning! Lol

E: Via milling*

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 22, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

Enchant the Thoracle player to prevent them from winning! Lol

E: Via milling*

It is worth noting that it's just better to run interaction against Thoracle in general instead of this, because winning via Thoracle specifically by milling is not super common iirc-- Pact and Consult exile instead of mill, and then the next most common would just be drawing your whole deck and winning with it in your hand. I suppose there could be a fringe case where you mill yourself out with Brain Freeze and win with Thoracle, but if you've got enough storm count to mill yourself out with Freeze, you've got enough to mill everyone out with it.

Definitely would be fun to play on a Brain Freeze or Hermit Druid player tho!

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The thing is that silver bullet cards just aren't very good, especially in a highlander format. There's a lot of hate cards in the format that work against Thoracle (RoL, hush effects, etc), and are run because they target and hit a fair number of other decks in the format. Even if your theoretical hate card was printed, it likely wouldn't see play because of how narrow the hate is. Yes it would kill thoracle until they found an answer, but so do a bunch of other cards. Thoracle isn't a menace because there isn't any hate against it, it's that it's incredibly resilient, efficient and only has 1 dead card in the combo (oracle).

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I dunno I can definitely see a card that says "if a card would be exiled from a player's library or graveyard or put into a player's graveyard from their library, put it on the bottom of its owner's library instead" being useful as a stax piece against a variety of decks if it's on like a 1 mv artifact or an efficient white creature or something. It would hurt impulsive draw, entomb effects, self mill, cards that exile and then play cards for free, and so on.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Shortest Path posted:

I dunno I can definitely see a card that says "if a card would be exiled from a player's library or graveyard or put into a player's graveyard from their library, put it on the bottom of its owner's library instead" being useful as a stax piece against a variety of decks if it's on like a 1 mv artifact or an efficient white creature or something. It would hurt impulsive draw, entomb effects, self mill, cards that exile and then play cards for free, and so on.

It would fundamentally break the game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It would cause a bunch of cards to force hard draws.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
A lot of cEDH lists with wiggle room in their mana bases opt for Cephalid Coliseum, which soft locks anyone from popping off with Thoracle. Endurance is also seeing lots of play, I slotted them in over Noxious Revival, which had been a mainstay for years in many of my decks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Toshimo posted:

It would fundamentally break the game.

Aphrodite posted:

It would cause a bunch of cards to force hard draws.

Yeah if WotC was to print a card that did something like that they would have to implement it differently so that it doesn't infinitely loop with cards like Demonic Consultation etc.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

The Shortest Path posted:

Yeah if WotC was to print a card that did something like that they would have to implement it differently so that it doesn't infinitely loop with cards like Demonic Consultation etc.

It could exile them until the other spell resolved then shuffle or place them in as a trigger. It's doable rules wise if written correctly, I think it's more it might create a bunch of unintended consequences.

Honestly it would be easier to print a white enchantment that cantrips that says "your opponents cannot win the game". Then they have to blow it or you up.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

It could exile them until the other spell resolved then shuffle or place them in as a trigger. It's doable rules wise if written correctly, I think it's more it might create a bunch of unintended consequences.

Honestly it would be easier to print a white enchantment that cantrips that says "your opponents cannot win the game". Then they have to blow it or you up.

Cast Angel's Grace as they try to go off (assuming they haven't played Silence)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just make a Feldon's Cane that can target.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Framboise posted:

It is worth noting that it's just better to run interaction against Thoracle in general instead of this, because winning via Thoracle specifically by milling is not super common iirc-- Pact and Consult exile instead of mill, and then the next most common would just be drawing your whole deck and winning with it in your hand. I suppose there could be a fringe case where you mill yourself out with Brain Freeze and win with Thoracle, but if you've got enough storm count to mill yourself out with Freeze, you've got enough to mill everyone out with it.

Definitely would be fun to play on a Brain Freeze or Hermit Druid player tho!

This is very much true, but don't forget that Grixis turbo Naus decks often run Brain Freeze loops as an inherent Underworld Breach win. It's not as common as it once was, but it is still a very real winning line for Kess decks and the like.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Just make a Feldon's Cane that can target.

They did? It's called Thran Foundry. Costs 1 to activate, though.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The Commander Social Contract | Learn These Unwritten Rules for Better Games

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I cannot believe that the Prof has to explain that hygiene is somehow an unwritten rule of a social contract, but here we are.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Framboise posted:

I cannot believe that the Prof has to explain that hygiene is somehow an unwritten rule of a social contract, but here we are.

Y know, I do love to make fun of the stereotypical goony nerds for being gross, but the way Prof set this video up and the way he’s talking really give me the impression that this video is low-key aimed at his neurodivergent/autistic/asperger’s viewers, some people who might be fully & completely willing to participate in social gaming without really understanding the importance of social queues, like not being a stank-butt or having your own tokens for your Angel tokens deck.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Have people figured out which Warhams deck is the best yet?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bust Rodd posted:

Y know, I do love to make fun of the stereotypical goony nerds for being gross, but the way Prof set this video up and the way he’s talking really give me the impression that this video is low-key aimed at his neurodivergent/autistic/asperger’s viewers, some people who might be fully & completely willing to participate in social gaming without really understanding the importance of social queues, like not being a stank-butt or having your own tokens for your Angel tokens deck.

Plenty of autistic people know how to dress and bathe themselves, Bust

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Tyranid is pre-selling for the most, followed by Necron, then Imperium, with Ruinous Powers in last place. Not sure if that is indicative of how good each deck is.

People are probably hyped for the Ping Lord in the Tyranid deck and to Rube Goldberg eon counters from the Necron enchantment over to Magosi, the Waterveil.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

like for playing out of the box or rebuilding? Also, using the face commander or switching to the inherently better commander that is in each deck?

Like the swarmlord sucks, but the guy who generates mana and doubles X spells is good. Big difference in how good the tyranid deck is depending on who you run as commander.

Same deal for Imperium, Calgar is much stronger than greyfax. Especially if you swap in some cards to calgar, I think he's potentially a really brutal stax commander, since you can run a bunch of token generating enchantments like smothering tithe.

The chaos deck is all over the place, which is kind of on point for a chaos deck. There's like 3 different decks going in different directions there

For necrons imotekh can do a lot of interesting stuff, especially if you are willing to sub in some artifacts, like the ones that all have triggers when other creatures die, you can generate a lot of necron warriors that way.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Bumming me out that the surge foil decks are so expensive. I was willing to shell out for one, but not THAT much

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I was expecting 125 or so, but 275 on tcgplayer is outrageous.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I play both 40k and Commander and I'm interested in these decks, but dang they're expensive. I'll probably wind up passing on them ultimately.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Aranan posted:

I play both 40k and Commander and I'm interested in these decks, but dang they're expensive. I'll probably wind up passing on them ultimately.

Yup

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Lol

https://mythicspoiler.com/unf/cards/themostdangerousgamer.html

E: Changelings are now Gamers.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 24, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b811XpRWxlA

Prof interviewing Sheldon, no idea if it's just full of softball questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Jiro posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b811XpRWxlA

Prof interviewing Sheldon, no idea if it's just full of softball questions.

Its good so far, one of the first questions he asks is about the ban list and why Dockside Extortionist isn't banned. And tells Sheldon he can think of many cards that should be banned but aren't.