Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Gotta come clean, I basically have no idea what to do any time a tether shows up. Do I run away from what it’s connected to, do I run towards it, do I drag it to another unit - I’ll never keep it straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabbering Idiot
Jun 5, 2013
I dunno, this sounds kinda anecdotal.

In my anecdote, I did Puppet's Bunker with a min ilvl raid in 6.05 or something and it was smoother and faster than they tended to be at 80, probably because the group was composed of the kind of player that wants to do a min ilvl raid just for the hell of it.

Even if we assume the maths of the stat-squish were balanced perfectly, from ShB to EW the damage values of actions didn't increase at 80, they were maintained. To compare alliance raids from previous expansions, the damage potencies of all jobs going into ShB were massively inflated compared to StB, even beyond things like tanks no longer having stance dancing, and going from HW to StB, direct hit swapped in for accuracy. From ARR to HW, things were mostly the same as actions prior to level 52 were largely unaltered at the time. You'd typically see much more of, say, Glasyas Labolas' or Cloud of Darkness' fights during HW.

All to say, all 24 mans have pretty much taken the same amount of time when they were current, ~25-40 minutes, and every other older expansion series other than Nier has a key reason for it being absolutely smashed nowadays.

I think LotA and ST especially contribute to Nier raids feeling like hp sponges. They'd feel more in line with the Tower with a lower ilvl ceiling, but that probably wouldn't go over well with most players since many are interested in the rewards and not the gameplay.

Edit:

Roach Warehouse posted:

Gotta come clean, I basically have no idea what to do any time a tether shows up. Do I run away from what it’s connected to, do I run towards it, do I drag it to another unit - I’ll never keep it straight.

The tether's mostly there to make you look to the other end of it, but it's not really consistent after that.

If it's something chasing you, probably run away from it. If you're connected to a player and start exploding, probably run away from them; if you're near them and not exploding, probably stick with them.

If it's just the boss tethering to something, they want you to look at that something and then figure out what to do based on that, especially if it's something outside of the arena (robots, scales, crystals etc).

Jabbering Idiot fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Sep 22, 2022

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Roach Warehouse posted:

If the tether is fat and spiky, run away until it becomes thin. Otherwise do ?????

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

also gonna lol at the idea that the typical stb alliance raid runs didn't also suddenly turn into long shitshows after ew dropped because i was seeing "new" mechanics from nearly every boss. hell, i've actually seen mateus start looping several times since

i also did a launch-morning lighthouse run that was 100% people on the new jobs (except the tanks) that was faster and smoother than any i had seen before. it's the people in your party, not the stat crunch

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

So let me get this straight, people are saying that spending five seconds peeping the optimized rotation before setting the day's workshop schedule is too hard? It's as easy as it gets. Not bothering to do that after setting up the island seems more like willful ignorance than being casual.

I'll check the optimized rotation and do it if I have the materials or could get them in one or two gathering cycles. Otherwise I just set potion/firesand or maybe something else with increasing demand that uses super common materials and call it a night.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Qwertycoatl posted:

If the tether is fat and spiky, run away until it becomes thin. Otherwise do ?????

Yeah, if the tether looks like this, it wants you to run as far away as possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbshRFIdJ2Q&t=1276s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noDYZh238fc&t=283s

sometimes it will change color when you're far enough (like in the first video), sometimes it just stays like that, but it always means "get away"

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

reloading the page fixed it but i just want to say this is what your post looked like a few moments ago and it was hilarious because it sorta works with how i used to handle tethers:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there a good video out there that breaks down the workshop and the supply/demand stuff?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

YESSSSSSSS

2/7 down

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Ibblebibble posted:

YESSSSSSSS

2/7 down

that owns grats

i got my own elastosaurus just a few moments ago except mine runs on kerosene:

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I do not notice literally any difference in the Nier raids. They've always been long.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is there a good video out there that breaks down the workshop and the supply/demand stuff?

Popularity is a multiplier to an items base value (80%, 100%, 120%, 140% for low to very high popularity). It will stay that way for the whole week. "Predicted Demand" has nothing to do with demand at all, and is just a preview for next week's popularity.
Supply also is a multiplier (60%, 80%, 100%, 130%, 160% for overflowing to nonexistent supply).

The only weird thing is "Demand Shift". It actually shows how the supply changed compared to the previous day. If you did craft that item, it's kind of useless, but if you haven't touched that item for the whole week, it can be used to predict the supply for future days. This is because each item is assigned one of 12 patterns for the week:
- It's demand will peak (the supply will be the lowest) on one day of the week (2-7)
- The peak will be either strong (supply goes down to the 160% level (nonexistent) , and reverts to the 100% level the next day) or weak (supply goes down to the 130% level (insufficient) and stays there for 2 days until reverting to 100%)

Each point of Groove is worth +1%, but you generally should not worry about it and go for high value crafts when available. The amount you lose spamming cheap crafts to increase Groove is not made up for by the increase it provides.

There's charts for all the patterns and calculators and stuff, but if you don't want to bother with that, the only things you need to know is:
- If the supply is "insufficient" and demand is "skyrocketing", then that item will have a strong peak tomorrow, so you probably want to craft that unless it has super low popularity (and maybe even then, because 80% and 160% together still leaves you with 128% value and the only things higher than that are "insufficient" with anything but "low", or "sufficient" with "very high" )
- If the supply is "insufficient" and demand is "increasing", it's on the first day of a weak peek and will also be insufficient tomorrow.

Or you can just let other people do all the math and just craft the recommendation for each day :shrug:

Tamba fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 22, 2022

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

the problems with alliance raids is that the average ff14 player is utterly atrocious at the game, by level 70 rotations become just complex enough that being bad at video games is a massive dps loss, and being 24-player content means your contribution is proportionally smaller than it is for 4-player or 8-player content. obviously things like item level, number crunches and balance changes will swing the pendulum one way or another, but as Jabbering Idiot's anecdote shows the biggest impact will always be player skill.

it's something you can observe with aglaia even right now. after week 1, doing it on tuesdays for the first month or two generally got you runs around 29 to 31 minutes, because that's when the hardcore savage raider types still did it because they wanted coins to upgrade alt or even main job gear. doing it later in the week or after the savage players were done gearing, you'd see runs around 35 to 40 minutes. by 6.5 or 7.0 the playerbase will have a massive ilvl advantage over aglaia, but i'm also almost certain that's when we'll see 40+ minute runs because the kind of player who enjoys pressing buttons will have the least reason to revisit that content.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

we've all experienced that time when we played ast in a dungeon roulette, only to have more personal dps than one or both of the actual dps players. now imagine it's 10 or 12 out of 15 dps being outperformed by an astrologian. this is alliance roulette.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I have one of every rare animal on my island except the alligator (quit running away you fat gently caress!) and the paissa (because I don't have flight yet), so that's nice.
Started doing fishing expeditions again last night after not having done any since ShB, trying to catch the Stonescale but drat it is rough.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I've been complaining that Hansel and Gretel have too much HP for the entirety of their existence. So welcome to the resistance I guess

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

I've been complaining that Hansel and Gretel have too much HP for the entirety of their existence. So welcome to the resistance I guess

All of the Nier bosses have way too much HP

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I think the change in clear times has less to do with stat crunch and more to do with the ridiculous power creep that Stormblood and Shadowbringers brought to the game. Stormblood basically added like 50 potency to every button in the game and didn't really make any effort to rebalance the game before that point. That combined with really generous ilevel syncs is why stuff like level 50 trials and the CT raids end so insanely fast and you don't have to care too much about mechanics, assuming you see them at all (poor Glasya Labolas). And it's been like that for a while so it's not something new introduced with the stat crunch

If they do another big power creep expansion then we'll start making jokes about how you don't see mechanics in the FFT raids and how Nier raids are pretty brisk

e: Also notice how the redesigned fights, like all the MSQ roulette and Thornmarch, actually have longer clear times than older stuff, because they're balanced around modern power levels and (I think) have tighter ilevel syncs

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 22, 2022

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't think the "stat squish" had any effect on the Nier raids, the bosses have always had about 20% more HP than they needed. The raids are just taking longer as they fade out of players' memories. Alliance rou is also home to the most freestyle of Samurais and the least mitigationy of tanks, you don't go into it looking for good players.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

maybe it's just because people die a lot in nier raids

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

When Tower was current, the first boss would usually only yeet a couple people off the platform. Now it's like 1/3 to 1/2 of the raid consistently (with a bunch more getting nuked by standing in the wrong spot to avoid the kb).

It's absolutely about people forgetting how to do the mechanics because they haven't done it recently. With a dash of "people good at pushing buttons aren't running this roulette half a year after the level cap was raised".

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
It'll happen to the aglaia raids in the next expansion too, just you wait.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Nothing like loading into Puppet's Bunker, seeing four dancers in your party, and then getting hit with the paralyze aoe from your group's trash after the first boss anyway

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The only NieR boss I feel like has too much HP is the tower final boss. By the time you've reduced 3/4 of it's HP you've seen everything which is where most bosses should end imo.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Nier bosses are chunkier so you can slap along to the music longer.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Electric Phantasm posted:

The only NieR boss I feel like has too much HP is the tower final boss. By the time you've reduced 3/4 of it's HP you've seen everything which is where most bosses should end imo.

That fight should be longer so I can listen to more of that song.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fair point on the music

Also for retainers I finally got my pair up to 80 (Summoner and Botanist) anything specific I should send them out on for the best chance at minions and other rare items?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The 18 hour explorations are the ones that return minions. Woodland exploration XXV level 80 can bring back the bacon bits minion, for example. The good poo poo is really rare though.

Quick explorations can return rare dyes and the occasional valuable item.

You can browse the specifics here: https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Retainer_Ventures

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Field exploration when still leveling the retainers, or before you head out for the night.

Quick exploration during your active playing time, unless you're really low on venture coins.

Most of the returns from both are trash, but the occasional rare thing makes it worth it. Rebel boots for example can still get you in the neighborhood of a mil if you don't keep them for yourself. Desynth or get GC seals for notrade gear, MB minions and glam, vendor trash or MB mats. Keep or sell rare dye as you like.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thank you for the answers!

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
re: island, I hit rank 10 today... on my Aether alt. Was a few minutes before a paissa window too which I caught. Just need alligator there, and I'm already well on the way to the 17k achievement after yesterday's 5k haul.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The 18 hour explorations are the ones that return minions. Woodland exploration XXV level 80 can bring back the bacon bits minion, for example. The good poo poo is really rare though.
I don't know how much they've changed the venture loot tables but during ShB, retainers could bring back the rare minions from Quick Ventures. There was one week that my Botanist retainer brought back like 5 Bacon Bits from Quick Ventures so I was handing them out to friends

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thundarr posted:

When Tower was current, the first boss would usually only yeet a couple people off the platform. Now it's like 1/3 to 1/2 of the raid consistently (with a bunch more getting nuked by standing in the wrong spot to avoid the kb).

It's absolutely about people forgetting how to do the mechanics because they haven't done it recently. With a dash of "people good at pushing buttons aren't running this roulette half a year after the level cap was raised".

I still remember one time when everyone was positioned for the melee block, I was in a safe spot for one at range (because bard) and one of the healers "helpfully" rescued me, leaving me in the middle of nowhere to get shoved.

I hate Rescue so much. I have had it be useful once, and instead it gets used for griefing or just being annoying.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

My reaction time is nowhere near good enough to make Rescue useful as anything but a tool to troll friends with.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If it makes you feel better, it's more like ffxiv's netcode is bad enough that it only exists as a troll tool

Even times you feel like you saved someone there's a good chance they were already moving or using an evasion skill on their end

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Best Rescue I ever pulled off was in Amaurot. One of the DPS was on a platform that was about to collapse so I pulled them into the safe spot directly across right as the laser beam fired. It was the coolest poo poo I ever did in this game.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Rescue requires you to recognize that someone's not making a proactive move to evade a telegraph (or actively moving into it, in some cases) with a good 3-4 second lead time so that you can actually target them, use Rescue, and give the netcode enough time to process it. It's not a bad idea, but you have to have an unreasonable degree of knowledge of most fights in the game and be paired with someone brand new to get much use out of it.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Rescue is one of the types of skills that in theory is really good and is exactly what people want when they're asking for "utility" but in practice is never properly used because the situational awareness necessary to use it (for both the caster and the rescuee) is too high for the playerbase to actually benefit on top of the lag involved. I'm sure there's been many times where you've tried to Rescue someone only for them to just walk back into the exact spot they came from and get pasted.

The exception is Hello World 2 where Rescue was in the preferred way to resolve the mechanic.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That reminds me my co healer and I used Rescue creatively in E4S, rescuing each other from spread positions because it was faster than walking.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Badger of Basra posted:

All of the Nier bosses have way too much HP

I think all the 24 man bosses have too much xp, except LotA and Circus. At the time those were relevant I'd have probably included them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've been rescued out a few Ancient Flares but aside from that I don't think people use it on me very often. Also I have a terrible habit of forgetting to check my targeting before I use Thunderclap so I slam into the boss I was running from instead of the friend I was trying to follow.