Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Coward posted:

I remember rushing the Heavy Infantry early and just getting stacks of them, but it seemed like I was losing because everyone else had stacks of Light Infantry only or mostly and I was getting countered. Might have I been misinterpreting what was going on?

Champions do seem like they might be the winner. Might have to Martial focus initially before moving on to Learning (want to make Manding the developed and enlightened centre of the world).

You didn't have enough HeavyInf built up, is what happened. Unit countering works by every 2 dudes negating the damage output of 1 enemy dude. Early on when you've only built like 300 MAA total, running into a guy with 200 of your counter will hurt a lot. But once you've got two full 500 slots, you'll have 1k to their 200 still, as they've diversified their roster while you've doubled down and suddenly their 'counter' is just being overrun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

And also with armored footmen you have to be careful about how much you're biting off, particularly before you get many buildings going they aren't that much stronger than levies, and you can't plan to go into battles too badly outnumbered.

Armored Cav on the other hand have no such problem, they're worth every penny.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

It was something like my 1500 Heavy vs their 1000 Light plus 500 Archers and levies on both sides, with me a bit bigger. I might have had the one building I could build? Not sure.

Don't know how long it would take to get Heavy Cav in West Africa.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Coward posted:

So, can I get some advice for MaA in West Africa specifically as I am trying to find time to redo a Mali run? Does rushing Heavy Infantry make sense if you're going to be facing equal numbers of Light Infantry? Or should I just stack Guinean Highlanders? Being stuck in Tribal for a while means not being able to build many of the buildings, does that make a difference? After the first run it kind of feels like I should focus on ridiculous Champions strategy.

Light Horseman are amazing in Pagan Africa. They eat bush hunters alive and do really well against guinean uplanders which seem to be most of what you run into. They're also fairly cheap next to heavy infantry and make the transition to fuedal less painful, plus when you go north or east if you hold land in the desert there you can build the op camelries and keep it going, or shift to heavies depending on your preference and what the muslims are stacking.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Oh poo poo yeah. Before I read I'm very curious if he shares my thoughts re:

• The MaA meta really encourages you to play as a fiscal-military state of the 1600s, with the focus on dumping as much cash into your MaA to become a bad actor in an anarchic world lacking stabilizing political institutions.
  • The world starts off overly economically under developed, with far more difference in the development state of the world between the start dates and end dates than there should be
  • Individual AIs, while supposedly being motivated by their personalities, even powerful ambitious characters don't seem to do much (which I understand is probably done in the name of computational non-complexity, but the outcome is that the most the AI seems to do is plot to murder everyone they know, which is hardly ideal)

Yeah as Dallan Invictus said, his focus is on the history not the mechanical balance. He talks a lot about how the personality system and focus on individuals interacts with the Great Man theory and how that applies to the players understanding of the time period. Just as a comparative example, the EU4 series talks a lot about how the mechanics force the player to engage in aggressive expansion as a result of interstate anarchy for security, lest they be absorbed themselves by their neighbors and how this related to actual states in that time.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oh yeah I'm a regular reader of his blog, and he's talked about how he's already been playing Crusader Kings months ago, but yeah it might have been expecting too much for the first entry. But the two first points in particular are what get to me in terms of historical verisimilitude; the MaA arms race is really something that feels much more typical of a later period (covered in the EU4 era), while the second is how little the game actually feels to be about personal relationships and organizing the elite behind <insert goal here> vs. just building up your local economy via investment and doing everything yourself. Maybe the big issue is the former, turning yourself into a 16th century fiscal military state just allows you to disengage from the latter.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

Ah yeah, gotcha. He hasn't gotten into that stuff yet but I wouldn't count it out, especially if he goes for like 5 articles or whatever like he did for EU4

VVV You're welcome! VVV

Saganlives fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 20, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Saganlives posted:

If you're a history nerd you should know Brett Devereaux, an actual historian, started writing a series on Crusader Kings 3 and how it presents a theory of history via mechanics and gameplay and how accurate that theory is in it's portrayal of the period. (Hint: pretty close in interesting ways!) He also wrote a (completed) series on Europa Universalis 4 and Victoria 2. They are all interesting reads. I also recommend his series titled The Fremen Mirage which tackles the idea that decadent men lead to hard men that lead to decadent men again, it's very good though not immediately relevant to Paradox games.

Thanks for linking this, I've played enough hours of EU4 to be 1/10th of an expert so this was an interesting thing to start reading

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
That feeling when some 60 year old Jewish grandma gets an Adventure inspiration, and you send them off on a lark like "Lol sure, whatever, go ahead", and then after a couple events you kinda half forget about them for a while, and then they come back with the actual loving Ark of the Covenant

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

PittTheElder posted:

• The MaA meta really encourages you to play as a fiscal-military state of the 1600s, with the focus on dumping as much cash into your MaA to become a bad actor in an anarchic world lacking stabilizing political institutions.)

If anything, I think it's the opposite: the rulers are too involved in economics and peaceful development. Medieval European (and I assume everywhere else) European lord would solve legal disputes and stuff, and maybe finance a church construction in memory of his poor mother. But expanding mines and building markets and sending your man to *develop* your land is very gamey. People didn't expect prices or tributes to change for generations.

In EU4 analysis Brett says that it encourages "tall" play much more than it was in history. It's still less optimal than expansion, but in reality there wasn't a modern thought of whether I should invest into army or into internal development. So, like, most rulers were judges and warlords. They put their income almost exclusively into the court amenities and army.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Nordick posted:

That feeling when some 60 year old Jewish grandma gets an Adventure inspiration, and you send them off on a lark like "Lol sure, whatever, go ahead", and then after a couple events you kinda half forget about them for a while, and then they come back with the actual loving Ark of the Covenant

Don’t look at it, no matter what happens.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So I started the tutorial up, I'm figuring some stuff out.

When picking a potential spouse how important are their traits and skill levels?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I somehow never noticed before that CK3 made sadbrains a congenital trait. Accurate, but :smith:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

When picking a potential spouse how important are their traits and skill levels?

Not that big a deal, generally - their skills will be added to yours as part of the council, but it's not something that is so useful that it overrides all other potential considerations. Traits generally don't matter, but you do want to keep an eye out for congenital ones - both positive ones like strong/genius/etc. and negative ones like slow/ugly/etc, since these will all have a chance to be passed on to your children and you generally want to seek out the former and avoid the latter. Depending on what stage of the game you're in and how powerful your realm is, you might not care about any of these factors and finding a spouse is more about finding a good alliance, or ideally marrying some claims into your line of succession so your children can press them to grow the realm. The best thing to look for is a spouse that straight up holds a title or is first in line to inherit one, and is willing to accept a marriage where their heirs will be in your dynasty, essentially giving you the titles for free, but it's generally pretty rare to get that so don't worry if you can't find any matches like that.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

QuarkJets posted:

It depends on what you need right now.

I've never given a poo poo about their traits though I suppose if your own were crap, you could select a spouse to educate your kids instead.

Skill levels are quite important - you'll get a portion of theirs if they are in your court: either 20% of all, or 50% of one skill. Especially useful for hitting the next multiple of 5 stewardship for another county holding.

Also worth keeping an eye out for positive inheritable traits if you're trying to build a superhuman dynasty.

Marrying for alliances can be very important in the early game or when you have a strong neighbour. Once I'm at the multi-kingdom or empire level, I only do alliances to protect the other one (eg to protect a dynasty member's domain from losing it). At that point, you'll get pulled into constant defensive war requests.

Saganlives
Jul 6, 2005

I mean, it's also worth considering traits more the longer your game goes and the more power you have. For instance, if you get a divorce but already have an heir and then marry an ambitious wrathful woman with high intrigue then you're going to have to worry about her plotting to murder your heir in favor of her own children that she has with you. (this comes up all the time if you're playing as a muslim with multiple wives) In general though other posters are correct in that you mostly are looking for alliances, positive congenital traits and skills.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The best thing to look for is a spouse that straight up holds a title or is first in line to inherit one, and is willing to accept a marriage where their heirs will be in your dynasty, essentially giving you the titles for free, but it's generally pretty rare to get that so don't worry if you can't find any matches like that.

My partner just started playing, and while playing the tutorial, she managed to arrange a marriage for her heir with the firstborn daughter and, at the time, only child of the Duke of the Isles and Galloway... who then contracted the pox from his wife, kicked her out of bed and never slept with her or anyone else again, leaving that daughter as his heir and giving their eventual son half of Scotland for free. I had to tell her that that's incredibly lucky and usually it'll only happen with a lot of murder.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I guess that 4% chance I’d die on the hunting trip was 4% too many. You win this time bear. Actually worked out since my singular son took over at 9 and managed to not get murdered by his uncle despite nearly everyone hating me including my grandmother.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So one of my favorite things is pinning a random person of interest and keeping up with their life.

I assassinated the king of Moldavia to the north and his scaly, bleeding son took over at the age of like, 7. I checked back a bit later and he had abdicated the throne to his one-year younger brother, who was an inbred giant. Well, lil bro passed away from consumption at 11 so mr. scaly took back over. He now has a daughter who is also inbred and scaly. :downs: And that's just so far! I can't wait to see how this continues.

Also for whatever reason his dwarven steward tried to seduce me. (The reason being that I am a hot basilissa of the byzantine empire of course.)

I do want to play a game where I stick with just one kingdom and try to get my dynasty their own high positions abroad and let them wreak havoc instead. In this one I started in the county next to Constantinople though and while I had no claims or almost anything to do for the first bit, it snowballed a bit and the empire was right there to make myself of a claimant of...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bloody Pom posted:

I somehow never noticed before that CK3 made sadbrains a congenital trait. Accurate, but :smith:

IIRC there's two types of depressed and lunatic. One is congenital, one isn't. Which is very accurate! You can get it from nature OR nurture!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Clocks posted:

So one of my favorite things is pinning a random person of interest and keeping up with their life.

I assassinated the king of Moldavia to the north and his scaly, bleeding son took over at the age of like, 7. I checked back a bit later and he had abdicated the throne to his one-year younger brother, who was an inbred giant. Well, lil bro passed away from consumption at 11 so mr. scaly took back over. He now has a daughter who is also inbred and scaly. :downs: And that's just so far! I can't wait to see how this continues.

Also for whatever reason his dwarven steward tried to seduce me. (The reason being that I am a hot basilissa of the byzantine empire of course.)

I do want to play a game where I stick with just one kingdom and try to get my dynasty their own high positions abroad and let them wreak havoc instead. In this one I started in the county next to Constantinople though and while I had no claims or almost anything to do for the first bit, it snowballed a bit and the empire was right there to make myself of a claimant of...

the only record that exists of a House that has been wiped out is a book a muslim duke wrote about his mother after she died of disease which i stole during a raid :smith:

and i dont know what i did with it! I've misplaced it!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Crusader Kings 3: (I am a hot basilissa of the byzantine empire of course)

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I bought the strongest potions and frickin died, 1% chance my rear end potion seller

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I had a king die of laughter once. I will never not take that roll.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vando posted:

I bought the strongest potions and frickin died, 1% chance my rear end potion seller

They warned you about the potions, though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm not sure I like the Iberian Struggle mechanic. It's just so loving fiddly.

I started as a custom duchess of Gothia in 867. Vassal to the king of West Francia, but still Involved in the struggle from the start since my realm was in the peninsula (capital is Barcelona.) Grabbed some more land, got independent soon enough, founded my own new kingom. Then I just kinda kept going on from there, conquering or otherwise acquiring Iberia bit by bit.

And then last night I hit a snag and it just kinda took the wind from my sails. The snag is in the requirements for the Dominance resolution, where it says:

- At least one of these:
1. You hold and completely control at least 2 De Jure kingdoms of Hispania
2. You united the Spanish Thrones under your Primary Title.

Both of which are unfulfilled.

1. According to the game, the De Jure kindoms of Hispania are Asturias, Aragon and Portugal. None of those exist, nor can they be created, because they "have no de jure counties". Reforming Portugal was always in the decisions list, but I started on the wrong side of Iberia to ever bother to go for that. Asturias and Aragon, I have no idea how I could've ever created them.

2. I don't know what the game specifically means by that. I personally hold every single Kingdom on the peninsula: Navarra, Leon, Castille etc etc, under my Empire title, which I just recenltly created when I got tired of fiddling with like 7 kingdom elections to keep the realm together (I figured I could just destroy the title once I end the struggle and create the official Empire of Hispania). I guess it's probably referring to some Major Decision to "officially" unite the thrones, but again, no such decision has ever been visible. And I mean, has not been in the decisions list,, not just that it's been unavailable due to requirements.

So ya know, I just don't know what the game expects of me at this point.

TL;DR version, It seems to me I sequence broke the Iberian Struggle by just playing the game in my usual fashion, and it's bumming me out.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Nordick posted:

I'm not sure I like the Iberian Struggle mechanic. It's just so loving fiddly.

I started as a custom duchess of Gothia in 867. Vassal to the king of West Francia, but still Involved in the struggle from the start since my realm was in the peninsula (capital is Barcelona.) Grabbed some more land, got independent soon enough, founded my own new kingom. Then I just kinda kept going on from there, conquering or otherwise acquiring Iberia bit by bit.

And then last night I hit a snag and it just kinda took the wind from my sails. The snag is in the requirements for the Dominance resolution, where it says:

- At least one of these:
1. You hold and completely control at least 2 De Jure kingdoms of Hispania
2. You united the Spanish Thrones under your Primary Title.

Both of which are unfulfilled.

1. According to the game, the De Jure kindoms of Hispania are Asturias, Aragon and Portugal. None of those exist, nor can they be created, because they "have no de jure counties". Reforming Portugal was always in the decisions list, but I started on the wrong side of Iberia to ever bother to go for that. Asturias and Aragon, I have no idea how I could've ever created them.

2. I don't know what the game specifically means by that. I personally hold every single Kingdom on the peninsula: Navarra, Leon, Castille etc etc, under my Empire title, which I just recenltly created when I got tired of fiddling with like 7 kingdom elections to keep the realm together (I figured I could just destroy the title once I end the struggle and create the official Empire of Hispania). I guess it's probably referring to some Major Decision to "officially" unite the thrones, but again, no such decision has ever been visible. And I mean, has not been in the decisions list,, not just that it's been unavailable due to requirements.

So ya know, I just don't know what the game expects of me at this point.

TL;DR version, It seems to me I sequence broke the Iberian Struggle by just playing the game in my usual fashion, and it's bumming me out.

Can’t be emperor and Unite The Spanish Thrones. Can only hold kingdom titles to do it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
'Completely control' means all de jure counties are part of your realm. Bordergore might have messed with that. I started in the same place but using the historical "xxx the hairy" guy, and the Aragon arose naturally as I conquered. It's probably still there if you have a bunch of stuff on the eastern side.

The domination decision sounds a little different than to when I played it (has it changed?), which is probably a good thing as the original one was a PITA as it tallied culture and religion.

edit: Oh yea! If you've created a new empire, it'll have de jure drifted all the kingdoms you control into it, leaving only the uncreated kingdoms left in Hispania. You done hosed up!
edit: The Aragon decision only applies if you're duke level iirc, and you can't end the Iberian struggle as an emperor unless you're interloping. Forming custom kingdoms/empires fucks with the game's historical decisions, news at 11.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 22, 2022

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Can’t be emperor and Unite The Spanish Thrones. Can only hold kingdom titles to do it.

That's good to know, but like I said, I've never seen the decision to begin with. I only created the empire title very recently, I already held most or all the kingdom titles way before that.

EDIT: I guess it might have something to do with my primary Kingdom title also being a custom one I created way early in the game.

Serephina posted:

Forming custom kingdoms/empires fucks with the game's historical decisions, news at 11.

Yeah, so I'm beginning to learn. :( It's really frustrating tbh.

MORE EDITING:

It would be a lot better if the game just let me see all those decisions and their requirements from the get-go, so I knew what I shouldn't do if I want to take them.

I mean, the "Form Portugal" decision was there in the list from the beginning, why the gently caress were the ones for forming Asturias and Aragon not? Or the Unite the Thrones one? How are we supposed to know the requirements for these decisions, and what not to do in order to not lock ourselves out of them, if the game doesn't loving tell us?
Ugh, I'm getting worked up now, I gotta go play something else.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 22, 2022

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
the dominance option is also super obnoxious because titles can and will de jure drift into a kingdom that you then have to convert and wait around for yet another hostility phase to roll around

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Clocks posted:

That's how my Ireland/Alba game has been going. Jerusalem, Syria, and Africa were crusaded for, and my beneficiaries got them all, but I messed up and the queen of Syria was in a patrilineal marriage.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The decisions for Aragon etc where probably there very briefly, right before you mashed the "form a custom kingdom" button which I'd wager sucked up all their de jure land and rendered them impossible to complete and so the buttons where hidden away again. I play with custom kingdoms/empires enabled, but only as a catch-all in case the game goes someplace weird; it's usually much more gratifying to stick to the default kingdoms and get all the cool events associated with them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The fundamental point of the struggle is to determine who, if anyone, can make the Hispania title and unite the entire peninsula. Creating your own custom Empire that controls half of it does kind of ruin it but there's very little point to any of the endings if you're not gonna make Hispania anyway.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Hellioning posted:

They warned you about the potions, though.

Listen, I was going into battle ok

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

All vanilla baby :grin:

Turns out craven and shy don't really matter if you're already top dog. Dread makes up the difference. Game good!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The pope gave me a gift.

Is this a known easter egg, or what's going on here.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Son, whats wrong? Youve barely touched your Jesus face.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

It's from this event.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Just a general complaint, but the rewards from DLC decisions seem to be massively better than vanilla decisions.

Elevate Mann and get a ton of renown, get to raid still, auto feudalize. Restore Israel, and I got a puny prestige and piety bonus. Woo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bird in a Blender posted:

Just a general complaint, but the rewards from DLC decisions seem to be massively better than vanilla decisions.

Elevate Mann and get a ton of renown, get to raid still, auto feudalize. Restore Israel, and I got a puny prestige and piety bonus. Woo.

Yes. This is intentional.