Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

MH but it follows the rules of that one Junkenstein's Revenge mode where everyone changes characters every 30 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Mystery heros but you keep the same ult charge would be an insanely stupid mode on par with no limits for insanely long games and id make it in workshop if i wasnt so lazy

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mystery heroes but you still role queue.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

teagone posted:

:hmmyes:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Mystery heroes, except you get a random mix of abilities from all the heroes.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

teagone posted:

I would unironically play this, it'd be a great practice mode.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

teagone posted:

they should replace the main mode of the game with this

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

headcase posted:

I guess it would be easier to hide my child brain if i just attacked people outright.

The question is: What makes overwatch different? What makes people want to queue for 20 minutes to play widow in this particular game while complaining the whole time? Why not play open queue? Why not play a game where everyone is hitscan?

I can't speak for everyone but for me the original draw of the game was the unique hero design with special abilities mixed with traditionally well-made shooter gameplay. However this just didn't pan out because only a fraction of the heroes are well-designed enough to not be actively frustrating to play in the same match with. Heroes like Reinhardt only serve to stall the match and prevent interesting things from happening. Roadhog presses 1 button and instantly kills you with his hook, even if you dodged or blocked it on your screen. Lucio and Mercy are terrible at fighting but they are obnoxiously slippery and thus awful to engage with a lot of heroes.

These are all personal opinions of mine but I think they are common sentiments in the playerbase, or they were before said playerbase left to play something else. Overwatch has been in an awkward spot for a while now, since all the actual normal shooter game fans are long gone and the main people left are people who actually like Overwatch's unconventional design in spite of how frustrating it can be. So honestly I'm not sure dialing back the "Overwatch" in Overwatch and increasing the more traditional shooter-style design would even help the game at this point. A lot of the Overwatch fans I know absolutely hate having to fight Genji on Mercy and they despise DPS mains on principle, even though fighting Mercy as Genji also tends to suck.

It is my bias talking but I wish Blizzard had designed the game less around MMORPG trinity battleground bullshit and more around shooting in the first place, and I wish they had been more competent about it. But I think Blizzard is just fundamentally bad at game design, like they keep adding frustrating hero designs into the game, they don't know how to analyze player feedback, they can't design a good map to save their lives. They are at a complete loss when it comes to understanding why people are so frustrated with the game, and they tend to design things around how they want players to play the game, not how the players actually want to play, or what they enjoy about it. It's a stark contrast to something like Robin Walker in the Team Fortress 2 team, whose game design process was more or less "players didn't want to do x, and it wasn't fun anyway, so we removed x"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It's felt for a while like they're just emptying out the suggestion box from 2019 and doing the stuff now. idk how much of the current playerbase still cares about all the 'i just want to play a purer shooter' complaints that were major points of contention several years ago. almost everyone I know who still plays OW just seems to really like the asymmetrical hero design stuff

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

On other hand:
Nothing feels better than being the Reinhardt slamming some sweet charges and winning mind games against enemy Rein. Just pour all heals on my butt and lets goooo!
Roadhog hook-combo is still very fun (for the Hog). Actually landing hooks is pretty hard if enemy respects your Combo-kill potential. Unaware opponents get wrecked though. Lets see if we get a Roadhog meta with the new cleanse-healer.

On other hand Good Widowmakers are just bullshit. Delete her tyia
Also disable Genji ult button if 3 or more of your team-mates are respawning.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they should have a popup box that minimizes the game when you click ult button while 3+ team mates are dead that asks you if you are sure you want to do this. it should take a couple seconds longer to close the popup than the time it would take the other team to kill you while alt-tabbed

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Really not looking forward to that new DPS passive, one-tricks are just going to be super oppressive.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

adhuin posted:

On other hand:
Nothing feels better than being the Reinhardt slamming some sweet charges and winning mind games against enemy Rein. Just pour all heals on my butt and lets goooo!
Roadhog hook-combo is still very fun (for the Hog). Actually landing hooks is pretty hard if enemy respects your Combo-kill potential. Unaware opponents get wrecked though. Lets see if we get a Roadhog meta with the new cleanse-healer.

It is fun to kill people as Roadhog but I'm not sure it's worth the pain of having people be on the receiving side of it. However I don't think there's inherently anything wrong about the random silly ability kills & deaths factor, but I think they failed to lean into it properly. I noticed while playing team deathmatch that these deaths are way less frustrating when life is cheap and you can instantly get back into the action if you do die. On the other hand, on a typical 2cp map, a single random death can snowball into a loss, and a lot of heroes have to go through an excruciatingly long walk of shame back into the action when they do die.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Sep 22, 2022

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Minorkos posted:

It is fun to kill people as Roadhog but I'm not sure it's worth the pain of having people be on the receiving side of it. However I don't think there's inherently anything wrong about the random silly ability kills & deaths factor, but I think they failed to lean into it properly. I noticed while playing team deathmatch that these deaths are way less frustrating when life is cheap and you can instantly get back into the action if you do die. On the other hand, on a typical 2cp map, a single random death can snowball into a loss, and a lot of heroes have to go through an excruciatingly long walk of shame back into the action when they do die.

Maybe it was because of the death of community servers and the shift to matchmaking only, but I feel like the last decade of games had this trend of pushing competition over everything else. Having the default game mode be TF2 style 12v12 maps would probably have alleviated many of the issues OW ran into.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

They’ve been pretty open in the past about Overwatch being so heavily weighted toward ultimates in part because they want to give players a rush from pressing q at the right time to delete someone or completely block the other team from killing you, irrespective of how the match has been going for you in general.

And that’s fine, the problem is that Blizzard decided to push their wacky unbalanced arena shooter shitshow as a competitive game, and Overwatch is on so many levels just absolutely not well designed as a competitive game.

Arcade’s Quick Play Classic and Mystery Heroes have the fastest queue times for a reason.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's a shame is I enjoyed playing sixes or Highlander in TF2, but it was a competitive mode built out of a game fundamentally designed for sprawling, brawling, sloppy matches of big teams, drop in drop out team comp, and ignoring the objective at least half the time. The problem is OW isn't just based off of TF2, it's based off of MOBAs, and those want tight games, set matches with a defined team you're with the whole time that you'll be judging and tilting with, and who you can come to despise instead of them existing in the relatively anonymous style of TF2.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

The problem is OW isn't just based off of TF2, it's based off of MOBAs, and those want tight games, set matches with a defined team you're with the whole time that you'll be judging and tilting with, and who you can come to despise instead of them existing in the relatively anonymous style of TF2.

Dotalikes have a much lower teamwork requirement than Overwatch, honestly. There is obviously a good amount of teamwork, but most of the time players play self-sufficiently or with selfish goals. Overwatch is really unique in the action multiplayer sphere in that it requires everyone to constantly be shielding someone or rubbing fairy dust on them, and not in a way that is fun, but more because you will outright lose if you don't. That kind of design can fly in a more cerebral game, but it struggles to work in Overwatch because the game is still an FPS game with very little room for any other kind of gameplay. People still keep trickling into the enemy team one at a time in 2022 because people generally don't fantasize about being the perfect cog in the system and doing some rote task exactly as prescribed by the game developers. They want to exceed expectations, go in and kill 3 people on their own. Shooters are much more mechanically skill-based and visceral games than MOBAs are. You actually can kill 3 people on your own and it is really satisfying when you do, and that feeling is often the crux of the entire gameplay in other shooters (even teamwork-based, tactical ones like CS:GO), which further motivates people to try it in Overwatch.

In contrast, if you try to fight someone who is stronger than you in Dota, or you try to fight multiple heroes at once, you will get unceremoniously and succinctly dunked on immediately, and no amount of mechanical skill can save you. Hence, why people are naturally more inclined to utilize more strategy and teamwork, because they won't be having any fun unless they do. It works better in Dota because the game doesn't rely on those rote mechanical tasks to be fun, it's more about things like outsmarting your enemy, the strategic creativity and the RPG power fantasy.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 22, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's a better description of what'd I'd say is my fundamental point: the two main inspirations for this game are in fundamental tension and, as someone who came into it only wanting a successor to one of those two sides, I'm always going to be disappointed until I internalize that Blizzard isn't going to suddenly realize they've been making the game "wrong" for years.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

That's a better description of what'd I'd say is my fundamental point: the two main inspirations for this game are in fundamental tension and, as someone who came into it only wanting a successor to one of those two sides, I'm always going to be disappointed until I internalize that Blizzard isn't going to suddenly realize they've been making the game "wrong" for years.

Yeah you summarized perfectly. They should've pivoted one way or another when the design issues first became clear, but alas, it is Blizzard

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
When I think of a gaming community that gets along, works as a team, and understands supporting each other to win it’s definitely DOTA that comes to mind.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Opioid posted:

When I think of a gaming community that gets along, works as a team, and understands supporting each other to win it’s definitely DOTA that comes to mind.

You jest, but it is actually kinda wild in Dota how everyone on your team can hate each other but people will still group up to fight as 5 unless someone is literally throwing the game on purpose

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I could go on and on about how I'd rather play inconclusively in a less rigid set up, but I can do that im arcade mode ... And the only reason I didn't play more arcade in OW1 was because I was very invested in Ranking Up as a Gamer. I had to reframe my own relation to the game. Which I still like but I had to realize it's a bit draining snd it's OK to okay to play arcade and relax. Hilariously now that I'm in a better position to appreciate OW2. they're complicating things with locking heroes behind the battle pass and just generally being revealed as a terrible company.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Minorkos posted:

I can't speak for everyone but for me the original draw of the game was the unique hero design with special abilities mixed with traditionally well-made shooter gameplay. However this just didn't pan out because only a fraction of the heroes are well-designed enough to not be actively frustrating to play in the same match with. Heroes like Reinhardt only serve to stall the match and prevent interesting things from happening. Roadhog presses 1 button and instantly kills you with his hook, even if you dodged or blocked it on your screen. Lucio and Mercy are terrible at fighting but they are obnoxiously slippery and thus awful to engage with a lot of heroes.

Its funny because the heroes and dynamics you mentioned are the sole reason I like Overwatch. Really, there are minority of characters that suffer. Widow, Soldier, and to a lesser extent Ashe and Tracer. Mcree is fine because he is a short range brawler with good shield break and the ultimate counterplay stun ability (His OW2 rework is dumb). The fact that Mercy can literally carry a game on her shoulders just by being unkillable is amazing.

OW2 is much more straightforward, and I don't see that as positive. Spewing various different colors of damage abilities down an open street with few shields, no crowd control, and very little cover was less fun. Overall the changes make a less dynamic, less complicated, less team focused game. It's really not interesting to me that a team won because one of their DPS has good mechanics.

I'm a little bitter I can never play OW1 again.

headcase fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 22, 2022

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

headcase posted:

OW2 is much more straightforward, and I don't see that as positive. Spewing various different colors of damage abilities down an open street with few shields, no crowd control, and very little cover was less fun. Overall the changes make a less dynamic, less complicated, less team focused game.

Yeah a lot of the changes seem like they'd just annoy the existing Overwatch players. I'm not sure they are going to draw in any conventional shooter game fans either.

headcase posted:

It's really not interesting to me that a team won because one of their DPS has good mechanics.

On the other hand it always really ticked me off that I'd have to work my rear end off to get poo poo done on DPS and still probably lose, but then I could switch to tank, use some common sense about engaging/retreating, press a couple of buttons and win because that's just how the role was designed. Bronze players reaching grandmaster and playing with pro players simply by one-tricking mercy was also lolworthy to me. But yeah I'm more of a sweaty arena shooter gamer and they honestly shouldn't even try to cater to me at this point (I will probably never play Overwatch 2 more than I have to)

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 22, 2022

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

You just have to accept that OW2 is focused on DPS players, and that tank and support are being bent around that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Again, playing support in OW2's beta was way more fun than OW1 after the brief era where 4 tracers and 2 lucios wasn't uncommon in KotH. Its way more fun using my survival skills more often which the 1 tank game facilitates. I really don't think it's being "bent around dps"

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ml7 (a good ow support player) has the opinion that mercy is the hardest support hero to climb into gm

if you've played with people at lower levels who main tank/mercy/etc you will know that you can't just roll your face on the keyboard to do well w/ these heroes

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Push it real good!
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/1572987346529796097?s=20&t=KhetushdsHXumbuYGUIhPg

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Macaluso posted:

Ya know I will say, for as bad as the battle pass is and the poo poo with heroes being locked to it and all that, I am quite happy for lootboxes to be removed from the arcade modes as an incentive to win. It really made mystery heroes into what should be a goofy gently caress around mode, into just a bad time because getting lootboxed depended on you winning this complete roll of the dice game mode. Now there's nothing on the line and these mods can just exist for the sake of being goofy fun
Is it? Have we actually seen what the daily challenges are going to be? Depending on whether the daily challenge is to play or win a game of MH, you could actually end up in a worse spot where some poopsocker who normally wouldn't bother with a 'casual' mode like MH now has to win to fill the battle pass.

Wheeee posted:

They’ve been pretty open in the past about Overwatch being so heavily weighted toward ultimates in part because they want to give players a rush from pressing q at the right time to delete someone or completely block the other team from killing you, irrespective of how the match has been going for you in general.

And that’s fine, the problem is that Blizzard decided to push their wacky unbalanced arena shooter shitshow as a competitive game, and Overwatch is on so many levels just absolutely not well designed as a competitive game.
That's the corner the game has painted itself into. Maybe things can improve with Geoff gone and a sizable influx of new players, but that's a ways off at best.

I know my harping on the PvE mode(s) sounds like a bit by now, but I genuinely think it's going to be a necessary alternative for sustaining interest once the game starts demanding engagement through the Battle Pass.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Not a fan of this new business model they're having, at all.

The part that sucks the most is that trying to find any other online shooter to jump into from Overwatch they ALL either do the same battle pass/provide monster can for verification bullshit, or they don't have any players.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

This is a super pretty map, but OW's Overton 3 with putting tables and chairs all over the place to make combat arenas feel more like real spaces isn't something I really vibe with. I find I'm just constantly bumping into poo poo during firefights and it makes rooms way smaller than they look initially given the otherwise large layouts and high ceilings.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It looks nice but it kind of just feels like a mash up of other maps. Idk why they leaned away from the futuristic stuff so much with these newer european maps.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

It looks nice but it kind of just feels like a mash up of other maps. Idk why they leaned away from the futuristic stuff so much with these newer european maps.

They probably score higher in the Diversity Space Tool.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
What are they supposed to do to make money with this game? Besides make a good game, of course.

I haven't seen any pricing on the battlepass (let alone what is totally included in them) and I'm a bit bummed that new characters are locked behind a grind/paywall but what would be a good pay model?

Good riddance to loot boxes anyways.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Battlepass is gonna be 10$ every 9 weeks, but of course you can't just pay and receive the thing you paid for, absolutely not. You pay 10$ and then you either start grinding the gently caress out of the game or pay up more to actually get what you allegedly paid for in the first place.

Capitalism baby!

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

If you get good stuff and its front-loaded then I'm not too scared off. If everything you would want is stuck at the end then... yeah no thanks.

Most of my excitement for this game died with the PvP delay (good luck with that ever seeing the light of day.) so I probably won't spend any money anyways, however.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

imagine dungeons posted:

If you get good stuff and its front-loaded then I'm not too scared off. If everything you would want is stuck at the end then... yeah no thanks.

There are 80 levels in the battlepass and Kiriko is a level 55 "reward".

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

There are 80 levels in the battlepass and Kiriko is a level 55 "reward".

Oh. Yeah, pretty stupid and I won't be doing that.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

No Wave posted:

can't expense report a trip to europe if it's a future map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If you already own OW and log in before the Season 1 battle pass ends, you get Kiriko for free.