Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'll show you my whole butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It’s really good. That decision is just way out of a left field in an entirely different ballpark. Would love to see Grant or Sam come back. Katie and Raph had their moments but it never felt like they fully committed to the bit and I wonder if being in person would have made them open up more.

How is Tiny Heist. Some stuff I’ve read suggests the McElroys are incredibly annoying and steamroll the game. I’m not super familiar with them outside of the little youtube series where they use character creators in video games so I have no real opinion, just trying to figure out if that or the rest of the Fantasy High CU is next after i finish Unsleeping 2.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 23, 2022

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

If you aren't used to the McElroy dynamic they can come off as kinda mean but Tiny Heist is good

Justin McElroy consistantly comes up with absolutely amazing characters

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Tiny Heist is very good all around, but Justin's character in particular makes that entire season.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

"OK, COUSINS, WHAT THE gently caress IS UP? WHAT'RE YOU DOING? HOW YOU LIVING?"

Court of Fey & Flowers rules so hard, that's the best I can mention from the episode without spoiling anything. :allears:

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

weekly font posted:

How is Tiny Heist. Some stuff I’ve read suggests the McElroys are incredibly annoying and steamroll the game. I’m not super familiar with them outside of the little youtube series where they use character creators in video games so I have no real opinion, just trying to figure out if that or the rest of the Fantasy High CU is next after i finish Unsleeping 2.

Full disclose I'm a McElory fan – but I also dig that season a lot. The setting is cute as heck, and the characters are all pretty solid. Justin is far and away the most entertaining of the characters, with *amazing* but the from memory Jess Ross and Griffen have really fun arcs too.

The sets! So good.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I found the first episode or two to be a bit slow to get going. I think that's because it seemed like they had a lot less time than other seasons for the players and DM to collaborate beforehand so they had to establish more background lore and whatnot early on. Also, I feel like the McElroys and Brennan took a bit to gel their particular dnd styles together.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Pinwiz11 posted:

"OK, COUSINS, WHAT THE gently caress IS UP? WHAT'RE YOU DOING? HOW YOU LIVING?"

Court of Fey & Flowers rules so hard, that's the best I can mention from the episode without spoiling anything. :allears:

This just keeps getting better and better. Seriously if you haven't checked out this season yet, do it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol the part in the most recent episode where the camera cuts to Lou so nervous about a roll he's holding Oscar. he's so good, just the most supportive improv guy you could imagine

this current season is really good, my favorite in a while. brennan's scene that culminates in the "goblin identify spell" is also one of his best character moments ever

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 3, 2022

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

I love the whole cast but Omar is just loving breaking me as he stumbles into the scenes and turns them into gold.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I haven't even started yet but you better believe I'm gonna watch this Make Some Noise with SungWon Cho/ProZD, Caitlin Reilly, and Brian David Gilbert right drat away.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

MikeJF posted:

I haven't even started yet but you better believe I'm gonna watch this Make Some Noise with SungWon Cho/ProZD, Caitlin Reilly, and Brian David Gilbert right drat away.

It's a very, very good episode.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
After getting kinda hooked on Fantasy High a few weeks ago, I've gone full bore into D20 stuff -- I loved fantasy high, I loved The Unsleeping City, but now I'm starting A Court of Fay & Flowers and it has to be immediately one of the funniest things I've ever watched. Lou & Emily together in this is such an incredibly powerful duo, I am full on cackling watching the two of them bounce off each other

This is also the first campaign I've watched with Brennan as a player and it's lovely to see him be able to put all of that creative energy he's got into a single wildly interesting character

Burginator fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 6, 2022

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Burginator posted:

This is also the first campaign I've watched with Brennan as a player and it's lovely to see him be able to put all of that creative energy he's got into a single wildly interesting character

Check out Misfits and Magic afterwards, the Brennan/Lou dynamic is great (and Brennan, again, has a very good and weird character).

I'm almost caught up on F&F and it's extremely good, everyone at the table is killing it. D20 overall has maintained amazing quality throughout the seasons.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Court of Fey and Flowers is so great.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

This latest episode is spectacular.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

:f5:ing until someone uploads an internet radio station of Lord Airavis reading

also I love Omar desperately trying to get a word in before the episode ends because Andhera now knows how Hob & Rue feel about each other

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 8, 2022

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was re-watching some of Brennan's Message from the CEO videos for the first time in a while (they're always worth a re-watch), and saw in the comments that the first Tide-Pod one was Brennan's first video for College Humor. Which, god drat, he didn't gently caress around when he came on board :tviv:

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

tsob posted:

I was re-watching some of Brennan's Message from the CEO videos for the first time in a while (they're always worth a re-watch), and saw in the comments that the first Tide-Pod one was Brennan's first video for College Humor. Which, god drat, he didn't gently caress around when he came on board :tviv:

It was recorded the same day that the first couple episodes of Fantasy High were filmed. An incredibly fateful 24 hours, as Brennan himself notes when he recounts the story

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Play It By Ear is extremely not for me, but if you are someone whom it is for, you're going to love it.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

weekly font posted:

Play It By Ear is extremely not for me, but if you are someone whom it is for, you're going to love it.

"Welcome to Mountport" is my favorite thing Dropout has ever done, and I listen to basically every episode of Off Book. I really really disliked the first episode of Play it By Ear. There's just too much; too many people, too many characters, too much direction given, too much stage. I'm really bummed as the issues I have with it don't appear to be issues that are likely to change between episodes.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Yeah, I have to agree, there were some moments of brilliance but I think Zach, Jess and one other person is a sweet spot and it was more than a bit overcrowded. I showed my wife who works in theatre and it was frankly a bit embarrassing, I can appreciate it's hard to improvise harmonies but man they were pretty off in the first song.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I took a peak at the Dropout Discord for the first time ever and just lmao what a dumpster.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

weekly font posted:

I took a peak at the Dropout Discord for the first time ever and just lmao what a dumpster.

On the other hand, I wanted to find out about Ify Nwadiwe's old Dragon Ball podcasts after he mentioned doing some during an episode of Um...actually and someone in, I think the NaDDPod thread, recommended messaging him on the Dropout Discord; so I signed up for it and he replied within a a few minutes. I still have the channel open in my Discord list, even if I mostly use Discord for college stuff, but I've never looked at it for anything else. Still, it has some uses if you want to ask any of the staff a question.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

weekly font posted:

What makes a good vs. a bad discord? I had a look and it seems like it's just the normal circle jerk that you get from most online communities.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I use the schedule channel on the Discord

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

What makes a good vs. a bad discord? I had a look and it seems like it's just the normal circle jerk that you get from most online communities.

I guess? There’s not very appealing. Spewing memes and solo liveposting into a void makes a discord of entirely white noise. I also noticed they were relentlessly dogpiling anyone with anything remotely critical of Play It.

I do really like how transparent Sam is though.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

weekly font posted:

I guess? There’s not very appealing. Spewing memes and solo liveposting into a void makes a discord of entirely white noise. I also noticed they were relentlessly dogpiling anyone with anything remotely critical of Play It.

I do really like how transparent Sam is though.

Yeah that makes sense. Just wasn't sure if there was something especially egregious I was missing.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I just finished last week's episode and the Cousins doing their revelations to each other slayed me.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

They continue to slay in the next episode.

"But a comma in the life of the arch fey!"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Diving into Fey and Flowers, a few episodes in. I thought my favourites in advance would probably be Lou+Emily+Brennan (and they are spectacular) but at this point I'd watch an entire show just of Andhera being awkward.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The cousins are basically an engine, stirring up trouble and action in the game and it's an absolute delight but everyone shines in A Court of Fey and Flowers, everyone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I've been rewatching some old CH stuff and I had forgotten is used to be actual actors doing sketches. Is there a reason they made the switch around '15?

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I've been rewatching some old CH stuff and I had forgotten is used to be actual actors doing sketches. Is there a reason they made the switch around '15?

2015 was the beginning of the 'pivot to video' era where platforms were going wild to have their content on Facebook native video - so shorter form content, less scripting, fewer staff. Turns out the numbers Facebook were giving out were grossly inflated: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pivot_to_video

You can find people like Adam or Sam talking about it in places, and it's held up as the beginning of the slide that ended in CH going under a few years later: https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1183209875859333120?t=AV4x4-URpIF938ZNp1il2g&s=19

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Cannot wait for "The Green Hunter" movie.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
the new Play It By Ear is very good. clicked all the way through for me in a way that the first one didn’t.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Bard Maddox posted:

the new Play It By Ear is very good. clicked all the way through for me in a way that the first one didn’t.

It's drastically better than the first. Still not hitting as much as I wished it was, but much better.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Green Hunter may be the best running gag in D20 history.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

MikeJF posted:

The Green Hunter may be the best running gag in D20 history.

It's truly special.

THEY GOT RENNER!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

They posted something on the Discord, apparently they had some scheduling issues with the last couple episodes so they're doing adventuring parties remotely for the last two episodes, and the final episode is pretty short cause they had to finish, something like an hour and a half or a little under that.

The Green Hunter is incredible though.