Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
My vote goes to second, just looks cooler for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Finally got back to painting, did up a heavy gunner for my Alpha Legion Kill Team

Unfortunately, the tracer rounds in the belt are coming off as Christmas lights, but then I guess a reaper chaincannon doesn't really scream "covert infiltration" anyways. Also lol at how low-res that decal from the Krieg sheet looks.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you might think you’re dumb, but are you “put resin sprue in your new bottle of sprue goo” dumb? :cripes:

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Gambrinus posted:

This is fantastic. Do you mind writing up how you made it?

That stuff is from a GW Necromunda set; sorry for any confusion. I'll snap some pics of my homegrown stuff, and then you can see if you still want to ask me how to make it (hint: glue crap from the recycling bin together.) :v:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
N'Stink is finished. I think I'm clearly working too hard and impatiently and just need to let my blending take more thin coats. I'm still having trouble visualizing how to shade and highlight sections of power armor and coming off very messy, but done is done and practice is practice. I also learned to do my basing first!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Ignore how generally bad they are, but I was thinking of doing silver for the helmets and breastplates and shin guards, what's the best process for that? Haven't painted since high school so I'm pretty rusty lol

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I would just get a silver metallic paint and use that. Then a black wash (e.g., Nuln Oil) over that for definition.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
If you want a really beat-to-poo poo looking metal/silver, you can try a lightish grey basecoat. Wash with Nuln and drybrush silver.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Xpost:
Well I'm calling the Terminator 2.0 projects "proof of concept" complete.

Assault Terminator #1

Terminator #2 (two angles)

I'll take better pics once I apply primer.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Look dope

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

DaysBefore posted:

Ignore how generally bad they are, but I was thinking of doing silver for the helmets and breastplates and shin guards, what's the best process for that? Haven't painted since high school so I'm pretty rusty lol

Because you're going for purple tunics, a little bit of gold trim on those silver breastplates would really define the transition and look dope AF.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Parkingtigers posted:

Because you're going for purple tunics, a little bit of gold trim on those silver breastplates would really define the transition and look dope AF.

I was thinking that too especially because some of the guys have symbols on their breastplates that would look good in gold. But on the other hand I finished blocking in the purple and white (their puttees and belts) on the whole group of fifteen and after seeing how that looks, yeah, I'm definitely not cut out to start doing really fine details.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think we’re going to try and start up a Kill Team club at my school thanks to GW’s learn to paint/ play school kit, so I’ll be printing up some terrain soon, so hopefully the recent terrain chat will come in handy

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

If there is a “miniature modeling thread” please direct me there, otherwise:

How do I fix this? I used my homemade sprue goo to fill the gap here and it worked well enough, but molding it into the right shapes had it come out looking like this. Or will paint kinda cover it up? Thanks.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I've inquired before but I think it's just this thread. I'll make a megathread if anyone wants it.

I would cut/sand the surface to both level it out and give it further shape. Do a rough sand, then a light one to finish the surface. Also remember to gap fill when necessary.

Might want to cut, gap fill, sand x2 in that order

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 24, 2022

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

alternatively, keep it as is, paint it up like it's been hit by a melta.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

There is a mini sculpting thread here but it's very quiet and oriented more towards sculpting from scratch, it seems.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

If there is a “miniature modeling thread” please direct me there, otherwise:

How do I fix this? I used my homemade sprue goo to fill the gap here and it worked well enough, but molding it into the right shapes had it come out looking like this. Or will paint kinda cover it up? Thanks.

Ideally modelling paste or plastic putty. Less ideally a two part epoxy putty like greenstuff. Paint won't fill that up enough to hide it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Vallejo-20ml-...096211937&psc=1

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Finally got the airbrush out and wanted to try some zenithal highlighting on some of my Warmaster stuff, figured that since I spent the money on it that I may as well actually get some use out of it for priming. Gotta say, Liquitex acrylic white ink is loving amazing, and Vallejo light grey primer sucks pretty hard without using some flow improver.

In any case, I was probably going to slap contrast paints over the zenithal, and was wondering if I should thin them out with the contrast medium first, or just apply them as-is. I would think that some of the more typically transparent colors (like red and yellow) would not need to be thinned, but at the same time I've used colors like Blood Angels Red and Iyanden Yellow on the HeroQuest minis I'm also painting up, and they actually do have some opacity to them straight out of the pot, more than I'd expect for those colors anyway. I've already stripped a few of these models more than once because of my own indecision regarding the paint scheme, and I'd really like to finalize a paint scheme and be done with them, so I want this to be a "one and done" kind of deal, at least with what I have primed up now.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Contrast paints are designed to work straight from the pot. If you do want the color to be less intense, you can thin with contrast medium to reduce the coverage without changing how the contrast paint is applied.

Some will be stronger than others. It's a bit of trial and error, or you can look up reference charts. Tale of Painters has a few chest sheet images that show them all side by side.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Indolent Bastard posted:

Ideally modelling paste or plastic putty. Less ideally a two part epoxy putty like greenstuff. Paint won't fill that up enough to hide it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Vallejo-20ml-...096211937&psc=1

Miliput? I have some but haven’t used it yet.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Miliput? I have some but haven’t used it yet.

That could work. Look up a video or two on using it.

It can be very sticky, so water can make a useful barrier on your fingers. Many recommend letting it sit for 20-30 minutes after combining the two parts.

You may need to sand it after it cures to get a properly smooth finish. But possibly not.

Give it a try. 🙂

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’ve started having a lot more fun with my airbrush after I’ve stopped trying to follow tutorials and do things correctly and instead just going with ~vibes~

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Started on a Narasimha model (Hindu avatar of Vishnu.)
Doing the throne next!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

xpost, also looked up focus stacking in photoshop after that was mentioned and that was very handy for condensing it down to one pic

Nazzadan posted:

Finished up my Havocs, now to get started on a Dark Apostle because the thread has posted so many recently that were great inspiration

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Aranan posted:

Contrast paints are designed to work straight from the pot. If you do want the color to be less intense, you can thin with contrast medium to reduce the coverage without changing how the contrast paint is applied.

Some will be stronger than others. It's a bit of trial and error, or you can look up reference charts. Tale of Painters has a few chest sheet images that show them all side by side.

Well that's some fortuitous timing. ToP just put out an article titled Visual comparison of all 61 Contrast, 23 Speedpaints & 24 GSW Dipping Inks. Might be worth bookmarking this.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
"Yes I am quite happy with how this wee plastic man has turned out, let me take a picture."

*Takes picture*

"Jesus Christ, that looks like hammered poo poo."

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gambrinus posted:

"Yes I am quite happy with how this wee plastic man has turned out, let me take a picture."

*Takes picture*

"Jesus Christ, that looks like hammered poo poo."

Nothing quite so humbling as seeing your mistakes in 4k lol

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Mirthless posted:

Nothing quite so humbling as seeing your mistakes in 4k lol

I uploaded a YouTube video painting that model I posted earlier and I can see every 3d printer support connection - I literally can't see them in real life. 4k was a mistake we need to go back to vhs quality :(

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I still do not know how to take good miniature pictures and I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to until I get a ring light and a macro lens attachment for my phone.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
The trick is to play with the shutter speed and aperature size to make the photo dark enough that you can juuuuuust make out the paint job.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I have a fancy phone and a full lightbox but still couldn't get decent pictures of my minis. So I bought a cheap used DSLR and instantly my pics look great.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

My Spirit Otter posted:

The trick is to play with the shutter speed and aperature size to make the photo dark enough that you can juuuuuust make out the paint job.

Can't have mistakes if you can't see them. :madmax:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

S.J. posted:

I still do not know how to take good miniature pictures and I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to until I get a ring light and a macro lens attachment for my phone.

Focus stacking was the biggest level up moment for my photos. It's pretty easy to do with image editing software (I used Photoshop, but I think the freebie stuff can do it too).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Aranan posted:

Focus stacking was the biggest level up moment for my photos. It's pretty easy to do with image editing software (I used Photoshop, but I think the freebie stuff can do it too).

I don't know what that is but I'll look it up!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/Garfytwit/status/1573623439423832065
Funny enough that's a topic that came up today on Warhammer painting twitter. :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

S.J. posted:

I don't know what that is but I'll look it up!

Put your camera on a tripod then adjust the focal length for multiple shots and then use Photoshop to merge all of them together so that every part of your mini is in focus.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
That sounds too easy, I don't trust it

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Take the different shots with the different focuses, put them in photoshop or something equivalent, Edit > auto align layers to get rid of the very slight shift in picture even from a tripod, Edit > auto merge layers with stack selected, done. The Havocs up there were 2 shots that i took by hand as steady as I could and photoshop still did the heavy lifting and merged it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

I've found that having my pics be slightly blurry makes them look better. So that's what I'm going to carry on doing.