Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
Last week, when I posted about G&L's B stock, I decided to get one of their guitars. I wanted something lighter weight than my the Tele, so I got the Doheny, which is their Jazzmaster.

I love this seafoam green finish! This guitar is lighter weight than my tele, about 8 lbs instead of 10, and I'm really appreciating that. The pickups sound NICE. One of the reasons to get a guitar from G&L is if you want the stock pickups and electronics to be legit -- they don't gently caress around with that stuff, even on their budget instruments (which is what this one is). Most guitars have a tone knob, but this one has two -- one for rolling off the bass and another for rolling off the treble. They call it the "passive bass and treble" system, and I think this should be a standard feature in all guitars, because it's a huge amount of tonal variety for free.

One of the reasons I went for this one was because I wanted to see if they could build a vibrato system that doesn't piss me off -- nope! I'm really missing the tuning stability I took for granted on my Tele. They say this vibrato system is supposed to be more stable than others, and I'm sure it is, but it's going out of tune all the same. Yeah, it's fun to bend a note flat, but its such a bad trade-off (to me) if I have to retune in the middle of playing instead of just once at the start.

Also, the factory setup on this thing was sloppy (unsurprising) and the strings were binding pretty badly in the nut, which really exacerbated the poor tuning stability. I widened the slots a little and used some lube, and it's better now -- maybe the situation will improve after a professional setup? Also, I didn't like hearing sympathetic vibrations of the vibrato springs or the boxy resonance of the cavity, so i ripped off the cover and stuffed some paper towels under the springs -- all better.

The intonation was sharp up the neck, but it was no problem for me to move the saddles and dial that in. The thinnest string broke at the tuning peg when I was doing this, so I replaced it with an extra acoustic guitar string I had sitting in the left over -- now it looks like a pirate with a gold tooth :D

Overall, I'm quite happy with it, but I won't be getting rid of my Tele anytime soon, and I will avoid vibrato systems in any future guitars.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

I don’t need fewer guitars, I need more wall space to hang them.

Although I did just sell my Alvarez RD8C after realizing I never pick it up since getting the Breedlove.

In general I like to keep one really good version of each type of thing.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
no reason to buy a new guitar if you already have one imo

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

hm but what about more guitars? You wouldn't want to be out of luck the moment one breaks in half from shredding too hard or something

PuffinUp
Sep 16, 2022

by VideoGames
The only problem with buying new guitars all the time is you won’t wear one out and have it look all cool

PuffinUp
Sep 16, 2022

by VideoGames
The finish on my fretboard is really starting to come off now and I’m here for it

She’s a beaut

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

PuffinUp posted:

Poofin a beefer to this, I think it’s the best music thing I’ve managed to record so far. Guy who plays keys with me is so good, I feel pretty lucky to be able to jam with him every week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYiKN_Z6H-U

this is excellent! you all have solid time-feel.

PuffinUp
Sep 16, 2022

by VideoGames

a.p. dent posted:

this is excellent! you all have solid time-feel.

Thanks! I’m pretty excited to get out and start playing shows, it’s taken forever to find the right people. It’s been me the key player and the drummer constantly trying out bass players and guitar players for the last year. Lots of weirdos, lots of heavy players who don’t wanna play “lounge music”(direct quote lol) and a couple guys who either couldn’t consistently show up to practice or wouldn’t practice at all on their down time. We finally got a good bass and a great guitar player to round everything out though.

PuffinUp
Sep 16, 2022

by VideoGames
Now instead of videos of me smoking weed with my acoustic I can put out full band poo poo lol.

feels good! I had music depression for a few years after getting replaced by a much better lead guitar player in my first band. I didn’t take it well and quit playing music for a few years.

Now I’m a singer in an objectively better band.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm sorry they did that to you bud that's a pisser :( Glad that things are going better for you now, never give up. Music isn't about being the shreddiest it's about putting feelings into sounds and, you know, vibrating the universe in your immediate vicinity in a cool way. (It is fine to be the shreddiest too though, but getting displaced in such a way blows)

PuffinUp
Sep 16, 2022

by VideoGames

Agreed posted:

I'm sorry they did that to you bud that's a pisser :( Glad that things are going better for you now, never give up. Music isn't about being the shreddiest it's about putting feelings into sounds and, you know, vibrating the universe in your immediate vicinity in a cool way. (It is fine to be the shreddiest too though, but getting displaced in such a way blows)

Yeah it was a real bummer, but the show must go on!

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

here's a recording of one of the early solo pieces from Modern Method for Guitar, "Second Solo": https://vocaroo.com/1hnidU65DNHH

i really love these, they're so melodic and the accompaniment is chromatic / complex enough to hold my interest

i think it sounds really pretty!

you said in another post that you are playing steel string with a pick more than classical. ever play your style of music on electric guitar? that's been my instrument of choice lately

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

PuffinUp posted:

Now instead of videos of me smoking weed with my acoustic I can put out full band poo poo lol.

feels good! I had music depression for a few years after getting replaced by a much better lead guitar player in my first band. I didn’t take it well and quit playing music for a few years.

Now I’m a singer in an objectively better band.

glad you were able to bounce back, your band's recordings sound good

PuffinUp
Sep 16, 2022

by VideoGames

Helianthus Annuus posted:

glad you were able to bounce back, your band's recordings sound good

Thanks man! Means a lot

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

i think it sounds really pretty!

you said in another post that you are playing steel string with a pick more than classical. ever play your style of music on electric guitar? that's been my instrument of choice lately

thanks! yes, this stuff sounds great on electric. i've just been to lazy to put new strings on and set up the amp

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
les paul havers of the thread, what era is your LP from or based on and what are the frets like?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

muike posted:

les paul havers of the thread, what era is your LP from or based on and what are the frets like?

2013 les paul 50s tribute (studio) and I think it has medium jumbo frets but I dont think Ive ever felt like they were jumbo frets.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

2010's-ish Epiphone LP

Frets are medium jumbo I'd say.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if every guitar I've played had the same frets or if I'm just not sensitive enough to tell a difference.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

a.p. dent posted:

no reason to buy a new guitar if you already have one imo

lol

E: my lp special is a 2004 frets are medium neck is skinny

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 22, 2022

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

muike posted:

I have a 50's Les Paul Standard (Goldtop) from 2019.

It had medium jumbo frets. It has the 50s vintage neck profile aka thicc.
It rules.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

a.p. dent posted:

thanks! yes, this stuff sounds great on electric. i've just been to lazy to put new strings on and set up the amp

one advantage of a super bright sounding guitar (like a tele with single coils) is that it still sounds bright even when the strings are a year old!

regarding the amp: i rarely turn it on. Instead, i leave my electric guitar plugged into my computer's audio interface at all times, which makes it very convenient to pick up and play along to any music i might be listening to.

anyway, i would be curious to read about Alexander Technique as it relates to playing fingerstyle on electric guitar with good muting technique -- i will make a post about it in the other thread

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

my LP was an Epiphone from 2008 with P90 pickups, and I often regret selling it! But then I remember it was heavy as hell and the frets were very very short, probably completely worn. The intonation was good, and there was no buzz, but I just didn't like the way it felt. So, someone else got a killer guitar that's easy to play and sounds huge, and good for them. I used the money to buy a guitar I like much better (but is also too heavy).

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Is there any good website or app out there to get you to think about chords (specifically triads) on your feet? Almost like a flashcard system.

Something like "play an Ab minor second inversion with the root on the third string. Go!"

I can personally figure out the shapes given enough time but I'm struggling to find exercises that force you to go through them and memorise them.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Captain Splendid posted:

Is there any good website or app out there to get you to think about chords (specifically triads) on your feet? Almost like a flashcard system.

Something like "play an Ab minor second inversion with the root on the third string. Go!"

I can personally figure out the shapes given enough time but I'm struggling to find exercises that force you to go through them and memorise them.

I've been trying to just brute-force them like this:

Random key/Skip anywhere you can't make a full triad.
-play root pos./1. inv./2. inv. rooted on E-string, then A-string, then D-string, etc.
-play root pos./1. inv./2. inv. starting on lowest fret where the root is and moving upward to 12 frets above that.
-play root pos./1. inv./2. inv. on each 3-string set: EAD, ADG, DGB, GBe.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Help me shop again:

Dad says he wants "a single pedal that'll let me boost, distortion, reverb, tuner; something compact I can leave hooked up at church." He's tired of hauling a board back and forth.

So I assume he's looking for a multifx of some type with at least 3-4 footswitches. What's worth investigating? Knobs of any kind would be a plus. I'm also going to pitch just a small board of amazon knockoffs because I suspect that's what he actually SHOULD get, but I'm not sure if he's in a problem-solving mood or a toy-acquisition mood (I'm sure we all understand).

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Line 6 HX Stomp?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Huxley posted:

Help me shop again:

Dad says he wants "a single pedal that'll let me boost, distortion, reverb, tuner; something compact I can leave hooked up at church." He's tired of hauling a board back and forth.

So I assume he's looking for a multifx of some type with at least 3-4 footswitches. What's worth investigating? Knobs of any kind would be a plus. I'm also going to pitch just a small board of amazon knockoffs because I suspect that's what he actually SHOULD get, but I'm not sure if he's in a problem-solving mood or a toy-acquisition mood (I'm sure we all understand).

Boss ME-80! I am very fond of mine, and it does exactly al of those things.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

Huxley posted:

Help me shop again:

HX Stomp is king. If he's more of an analog knobs kinda guy, Tech21 Flyrig might be more his speed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

800peepee51doodoo posted:

He knows his stuff, but I feel like I only understood what he was talking about with basic theory because I already knew it myself, for the most part. He's a terrible teacher. Reminds me of some of my professors that would get upset that we didn't intuitively understand complex concepts after brief explanations because they did this stuff everyday for decades and it seemed self evident to them. On the plus side, my professors didn't spend 60% of class time shilling their books.

Responding to old post, etc. etc. i've learned quite a bit from Beto, but yeah echo'ing what you're saying here as a brand new guitar player. Some of his stuff is really confusing to me and hard to understand because i've never heard of it before and so it is all new to me.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Huxley posted:

Help me shop again:

If he's not a tech guy ME80 for sure. No menus, just controls, and each pedal mostly does one thing (although it can do more complicated patch changes too).

If he's a bit more savvy then Zoom do a decent range with lots of worship-ready delays and reverb in there which work on a similar idea but with a bit more menu diving. G3n or G5.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thanks all! I'm sure how anti-menus he is so I like having a couple of options for him.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This thread inspired me so I bought a Boss Katana Mk. II and a used Fender Player Strat and am gonna learn guitar

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Buschmaki posted:

This thread inspired me so I bought a Boss Katana Mk. II and a used Fender Player Strat and am gonna learn guitar

Welcome to playing guitar!

So what guitar are you going to buy next?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Verman posted:

*chanting telecasterishly*
One of us! One of us! One of us!

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Verman posted:

An SG like my hero, the protagonist from the manga "Beck"

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
So back when I traded my Ibanez with the kaoss pad, the only person who was interested at all offered me three different RGs with floyd roses. He had a black RG320 with DiMarzio Gravity Storms, a flame top RG42 with unspecified Seymour Duncans and a d-tuna and then one of those Steve Vai numbers with the built in handle.

I rolled the dice on the flame top RG42 with the Seymour Duncans because it looked pretty cool, I wanted to try a maple fretboard and lmao the pickup will never be the limiting factor in me sounding like Steve Vai.

Anyway my low E bottomed out on the fine tuner today and while I was loving with the Floyd Rose anyway I decided to see what pickups were in it. Nazgul and Sentient! Score! I've really been enjoying the Nazgul, no matter how high I crank the gain or how many pedals I stamp I can still hear each note articulated clearly. So far I'm super happy with this trade.

Anyway my stupid question is that these pickups are a shitload harder to put back in than they were to take out, is there any trick to it? Do you push the pickup all the way down and then screw it in, or can you just line up the screws and have at it? I can't seem to get them all the way back down to where they won't interfere with the strings.

e: figured it out, the hole is a lil bit wider than whatever screw they used. Got some bigger screws, everything went back together right

Stalizard fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 23, 2022

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
thank you for answering les paul havers. most LPs have frets I dig but I haven't touched one in a while besides mine and I thought I was losing my mind about it having super tiny frets

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Buschmaki posted:

Hey, that's what I play most days (sort of, my Strat is a MIM) and I'm very happy. Welcome aboard!

Actually, that reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask the thread - can pick-ups lose potency?

The neck pick-up on my Strat doesn't feel as dark as it used to. It works fine, but the difference between the middle and neck isn't as "woody" as I recall it being, although there is a noticable darkening of the tone. Is this a psychosomatic thing? I did drop to 9s and shelve it for a bit after a got a Tele, so im wondering if I'm looking for that night and day difference you get on a Tele which just isn't there on a Strat, especially with janglier 9s.

Another possibility is I'm just better at playing - I used to avoid neck pick-ups a lot to avoid booming low strings due to en-even strumming, but now I'm better at that, I'm not hearing that unwanted bassy noise I used to get.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Disco Pope posted:

Hey, that's what I play most days (sort of, my Strat is a MIM) and I'm very happy. Welcome aboard!

Actually, that reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask the thread - can pick-ups lose potency?

The neck pick-up on my Strat doesn't feel as dark as it used to. It works fine, but the difference between the middle and neck isn't as "woody" as I recall it being, although there is a noticable darkening of the tone. Is this a psychosomatic thing? I did drop to 9s and shelve it for a bit after a got a Tele, so im wondering if I'm looking for that night and day difference you get on a Tele which just isn't there on a Strat, especially with janglier 9s.

Another possibility is I'm just better at playing - I used to avoid neck pick-ups a lot to avoid booming low strings due to en-even strumming, but now I'm better at that, I'm not hearing that unwanted bassy noise I used to get.

Short answer is not within a couple of months. More likely to be strings dying or action and pickup height changes.