Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You can still camp in Goldeneye if that's the big complaint. I would look away to obscure where my vantage point was. Is that really the complaint, though? All the times I've heard about seeing other people's screens and it was from people sad that camping wasn't as big of a deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lobok posted:

You can still camp in Goldeneye if that's the big complaint. I would look away to obscure where my vantage point was. Is that really the complaint, though? All the times I've heard about seeing other people's screens and it was from people sad that camping wasn't as big of a deal?

Not comparatively. You can't even camp in an X Y axis properly, which Quake introduced.

I don't get why this is an argument. You had crap single player FPSes like Jurassic Park on SNES or bad single player ports like Doom on 32x. The main first multiplayer FPS which is years behind PC FPS games due to framerate, split screen, no mouse look (!!!) and you're arguing with Quake based origin site Something Awful people on if it was always crap?

Like, the maps were okay for kids at the time to work for a group setting to be a kind of Mario Party fun time thing, but any seasoned FPS player at that point found it lacking for multiple reasons, as it was multiple years behind the time and only acceptable in a silly but sometimes fun group setting. It's an entirely nostalgia based thing that your next generation would feel about Halo (or late gen and CoD) and think Goldeneye is garbage - where the same issue existed. Except not quite as bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You deserve to lose if you camp. Campers suck rear end

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Darko posted:

As an ex game developer

Oh, I get it now. This guy worked on Quake II, and now spends all his time involved with it, like Howard Hughes after producing The Conqueror where everyone got cancer.

I'm so sorry.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's funny because he's assuming that I played those games as a kid before a bunch of PC shooters and not years afterwards. There's no possible way I could have enjoyed them after experiencing other shooter games!

Also, making GBS threads on Halo and pretending it didn't do some pretty revolutionary stuff that redefined the genre is somehow even more tired than complaining about people liking Goldeneye.

I think the best part is still absolutely him doubling down on how playing games with his friends was terrible because the game totally wasn't this other game that he liked which was waaaaay cooler.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Sep 14, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darko posted:

Not comparatively. You can't even camp in an X Y axis properly, which Quake introduced.

I don't get why this is an argument. You had crap single player FPSes like Jurassic Park on SNES or bad single player ports like Doom on 32x. The main first multiplayer FPS which is years behind PC FPS games due to framerate, split screen, no mouse look (!!!) and you're arguing with Quake based origin site Something Awful people on if it was always crap?

Like, the maps were okay for kids at the time to work for a group setting to be a kind of Mario Party fun time thing, but any seasoned FPS player at that point found it lacking for multiple reasons, as it was multiple years behind the time and only acceptable in a silly but sometimes fun group setting. It's an entirely nostalgia based thing that your next generation would feel about Halo (or late gen and CoD) and think Goldeneye is garbage - where the same issue existed. Except not quite as bad.

My argument was just a question about why people had such an issue with split-screen. If you want to argue a game sucks if it isn't built for pro tier competition then so be it but you also seem to keep saying that people who liked GoldenEye multi could only have been ignorant console players who didn't know what they were missing. I had a PC and internet, with Quake and many of the single- and multi-player FPSs that came before and after GE.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

pretty soft girl posted:

The backlash to GE (maybe my sample size is too small because I only ever see it on these forums) always seems to come from dudes who think quake 1 is the height of culture

Without fail lol

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Lobok posted:

My argument was just a question about why people had such an issue with split-screen. If you want to argue a game sucks if it isn't built for pro tier competition then so be it but you also seem to keep saying that people who liked GoldenEye multi could only have been ignorant console players who didn't know what they were missing. I had a PC and internet, with Quake and many of the single- and multi-player FPSs that came before and after GE.

Also this

imo quake was a weird game with unsatisfying feeling weapons even at the time and felt like a necessary dip between the pseudo 3d games like doom and stuff that'd refine the formula a few years later like ut99/half life. idk why it's always the comparison point to dunk on goldeneye, I'd much rather be playing Duke 3d

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Unless I'm missing some kind of joke, XIII was more than 5 years later and another console generation...

so what

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

It’s odd, XBox is getting the remaster, but only local multiplayer. The Switch is getting, it seems, no remaster, but online multiplayer.

It would be great to have both the remaster and online multiplayer on either system, but that’s apparently not happening.

The reason why is because the unreleased 360 remaster didn't get its online implemented back then, and this is just a dump. The Switch version is the original ROM, but because their emulator has a universal online system your friends can just be assigned controllers 2-4. They're both just the lowest effort defaults.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

But the important thing is being able to shoot Russians to lovely synthetic midi rock. Preferably while dual weilding klobbs and yelling "it's klobbering time!"

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

CelticPredator posted:

You deserve to lose if you camp. Campers suck rear end

This is why Perfect Dark included the perfect weapon, the Farsight XR-20.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

pretty soft girl posted:

Also this

imo quake was a weird game with unsatisfying feeling weapons even at the time and felt like a necessary dip between the pseudo 3d games like doom and stuff that'd refine the formula a few years later like ut99/half life. idk why it's always the comparison point to dunk on goldeneye, I'd much rather be playing Duke 3d

Quake had (free) mods like Threewave CTF (which had the grappling hook and runes for upgrades and became the basis for a lot of what Unreal did) and Team Fortress (which Half Life ended up adopting) which everyone was playing competitively at that point; nobody was playing vanilla Quake, which you seem to be comparing it to. By the time of Goldeneye, it had a ton of different weapon mods (which address your complaints about the weapons) and multiple modes including AirQuake when you were flying around and riding vehicles, etc. You were playing a 16 person competitive goal oriented shooter with different classes by the time Goldeneye was doing 4 player deathmatch/golden gun mode/single flag mode, etc.

It seems like a generational gap with Xers and Mills more than anything; a lot of Mills went back and played (vanilla) Quake and try to use that as a comparison. In 1997, though, it was the platform that got all the developers to make baby versions of all the current games that evolved into the major shooters and people were playing the mods that matched the game style they wanted created by those people, which nothing else at the time had. That's why it's used as a comparison; it's literally what all the competitive PC players were playing in 1997 and was just a pure casserole of budding FPS development and innovation and the mods were the birth and basis of what everyone is playing now.

I played Goldeneye and liked a few things about it and it did implement a lot of things well, but a lot of those things were already done, too, unfortunately. Hit detection and varying damage was great and a great evolution over (vanilla) Quake, for instance, but the Team Fortress guys had added it to Team Fortress by release, etc.

Single player is different - had a much better single than Quake or Duke Nukem.

Cacator posted:

This is why Perfect Dark included the perfect weapon, the Farsight XR-20.

Quake had something even better if you wanted to play without campers, the "Camper Killer Mod" which blew up campers: https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/Camper-Killer,_Next-Level_Cycler,_Item_Randomizer_%26_Fairness-mod

Darko fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 14, 2022

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Counter-Strike revolutionized camping. I always enjoyed cs_facility.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Darko posted:

Quake had (free) mods like Threewave CTF (which had the grappling hook and runes for upgrades and became the basis for a lot of what Unreal did) and Team Fortress (which Half Life ended up adopting) which everyone was playing competitively at that point; nobody was playing vanilla Quake, which you seem to be comparing it to. By the time of Goldeneye, it had a ton of different weapon mods (which address your complaints about the weapons) and multiple modes including AirQuake when you were flying around and riding vehicles, etc. You were playing a 16 person competitive goal oriented shooter with different classes by the time Goldeneye was doing 4 player deathmatch/golden gun mode/single flag mode, etc.

It seems like a generational gap with Xers and Mills more than anything; a lot of Mills went back and played (vanilla) Quake and try to use that as a comparison. In 1997, though, it was the platform that got all the developers to make baby versions of all the current games that evolved into the major shooters and people were playing the mods that matched the game style they wanted created by those people, which nothing else at the time had. That's why it's used as a comparison; it's literally what all the competitive PC players were playing in 1997 and was just a pure casserole of budding FPS development and innovation and the mods were the birth and basis of what everyone is playing now.

I played Goldeneye and liked a few things about it and it did implement a lot of things well, but a lot of those things were already done, too, unfortunately. Hit detection and varying damage was great and a great evolution over (vanilla) Quake, for instance, but the Team Fortress guys had added it to Team Fortress by release, etc.

Single player is different - had a much better single than Quake or Duke Nukem.

Quake had something even better if you wanted to play without campers, the "Camper Killer Mod" which blew up campers: https://quake.fandom.com/wiki/Camper-Killer,_Next-Level_Cycler,_Item_Randomizer_%26_Fairness-mod

I still found the user produced stuff in quake games to not be that great feeling and didn't really enjoy the quality of user created content until hl1/ut99 rolled around

I get that quake was first for a lot of this stuff and deserves credit for that but action quake and team fortress both felt janky and didn't grab me until they were reimagined for half life

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/PaulTobin/status/1571511842396311553?t=Z4LWiDKF1WetGdErpiH5Ig&s=19

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Welp, gues we have to remake OHMSS into On His Majesty's Secret Service. How will we survive having to listen to that amazing theme some more?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

mite watch that tonight. in honor of her majesty of course.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

numberoneposter posted:

mite watch that tonight. in honor of her majesty of course.

Diana Rigg, yeah

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Oof

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A page with words like GoldenEye, Duke, Nukem, and Quake, that's a good page. I look forward to playing one of these GoldenEye official ports, been a long time. GoldenEye Source was a fun multiplayer mod.

Man James Bond rules. Tarantino's new podcast The Video Archives has an episode with a lot of Moonraker discussion, and a bonus one with even more that they cut out. Funny stuff. I'm with Roger Avery on thinking Roger Moore Bond rules, but I'm with Tarantino on not being big on Moonraker.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 19, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

FoolyCharged posted:

Welp, gues we have to remake OHMSS into On His Majesty's Secret Service. How will we survive having to listen to that amazing theme some more?

Remake it as a period piece :getin:

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Looks like the title Golden Eye was a sex joke too

https://witness2fashion.wordpress.com/2015/06/14/nell-brinkleys-women-1913-to-1940/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ian Fleming was likely reading Reflections in a Golden Eye by Carson McCuller, one of the few big gay/fetish novels of the 1940s, and named an operation he planned with intelligence after it. He then named his villa in Jamaica after it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I played GoldenEye last year on the Project64 emulator which gives you mouse aim and widescreen and it's great like that. I don't know if I could play it on original hardware or in fact with any controller, that poo poo is HARD even if you can play it with a kind of precision and aim speed that it was never intended to have. The levels are great and everything explodes, I don't think it needs to go deeper than that.

The whole skill in multiplayer argument is entirely orthogonal to that because nobody ever played GoldenEye multiplayer to hone their camping skills or whatever. At least I'm pretty sure, I never did because I hate multiplayer in FPS. Anyway GoldenEye still rules but it helps to cheat its controls a little.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

continued my chronological journey through the Bond movies and Thunderball very nearly broke me. What a weirdly miserable experience to watch. I loved the setting, I loved Connery, I loved the on-ground combat, but man those extended underwater scenes were torturous. I'm impressed with how much the practical effects improved and filming that much underwater is theoretically amazing, but I was fighting to stay awake for a good quarter of the movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Inflation-adjusted, Thunderball was the highest-grossing Bond film until Skyfall, which boggles my mind. It has its moments, but there are long stretches where it's just so boring. (Mind you, I think Skyfall is hugely overrated too.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Famethrowa posted:

continued my chronological journey through the Bond movies and Thunderball very nearly broke me. What a weirdly miserable experience to watch. I loved the setting, I loved Connery, I loved the on-ground combat, but man those extended underwater scenes were torturous. I'm impressed with how much the practical effects improved and filming that much underwater is theoretically amazing, but I was fighting to stay awake for a good quarter of the movie.

Yeah, Thunderball shocked me with how boring it was. With the rights for it being battled over for years in the courts, I just assumed it must be something special. And yikes, nope. Part is how it's made (as you said, slow moving underwater scenes, sped up camera shots for the fight at the end), but part is just how it's written. It's just not a good movie.

I actually find myself liking the remake, Never Say Never Again, a bit more. Because, while that movie has some serious problems (mainly old man Connery), it just feels more competently made.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Payndz posted:

Inflation-adjusted, Thunderball was the highest-grossing Bond film until Skyfall, which boggles my mind. It has its moments, but there are long stretches where it's just so boring. (Mind you, I think Skyfall is hugely overrated too.)

Goldfinger was the biggest pop cultural thing of that surrounding time, so whatever sequel happened would blow up hugely. As a kid, I really liked Thunderball too; the water parts were slow, but my imagination filled in the holes. Now, yeah, it has elements and the structure that became Bond standards for the majority of movies after but that climax/finale - woo boy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, Thunderball shocked me with how boring it was. With the rights for it being battled over for years in the courts, I just assumed it must be something special. And yikes, nope. Part is how it's made (as you said, slow moving underwater scenes, sped up camera shots for the fight at the end), but part is just how it's written. It's just not a good movie.

I actually find myself liking the remake, Never Say Never Again, a bit more. Because, while that movie has some serious problems (mainly old man Connery), it just feels more competently made.

I also think that the hold SPECTRE (or whatever its off-brand equivalent) has over Petachi - they got him addicted to heroin and use that as motivation - is far better than the ridiculous doppelganger from Thunderball.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thunderball was huge spectacle. It came on the heels of Goldfinger so like Darko said it already had wind its sails on opening day but it goes much bigger than Goldfinger. It starts off with an actual jetpack! While Goldfinger had the military help save the day at Fort Knox they went full GI Joe cartoon with the underwater battles in Thunderball. And while it looks hokey now the end battle being a high speed boat scene was thrilling back in the day.

And not for nothing, I don't think the Bond girls as a whole in Thunderball have ever been topped for how gorgeous they were. I don't mean to say that just to be crass or shout out my personal preferences but when talking about movies as spectacle sex appeal is going to play a part.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

I grew up watching Thunderball on television, and the commercial breaks disguised how boring it is. You watch a bit of it, and when you start to get antsy, the commercial comes and you can walk away and do stuff for a few minutes, refreshes you before you get back into it. When I finally saw it straight through, commercial-free, I was surprised at how it drags in places.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I also think that the hold SPECTRE (or whatever its off-brand equivalent) has over Petachi - they got him addicted to heroin and use that as motivation - is far better than the ridiculous doppelganger from Thunderball.

see, I love the stupid doppelganger plot, and I love the idea of goofy frogman battles. they just needed to cut some of that footage down by about 40 minutes. I'm all about soaking in the 60s sleaze and cheese. it's a wonderful departure from slick modern movies, generally. I think I'll dig Moonraker + Roger Moore when I get to it for this reason.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

see, I love the stupid doppelganger plot

Same, it's one of the bits of Thunderball that I prefer to Never Say Never Again. I really like how the doppelganger says "pay me more, who else are you gonna get to do this now?" And SPECTRE is just like "touche, you're good at this"

Fiona Vulpe is also very very wasted on Thunderball, she's such a good femme fatale character

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

pretty soft girl posted:

Fiona Vulpe is also very very wasted on Thunderball, she's such a good femme fatale character

She is a very welcome change from the infamous Pussy Galore barn scene. In fact, I think some of Volpe's dialogue was meant as a repudiation of that Goldfinger scene.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Famethrowa posted:

see, I love the stupid doppelganger plot, and I love the idea of goofy frogman battles. they just needed to cut some of that footage down by about 40 minutes. I'm all about soaking in the 60s sleaze and cheese. it's a wonderful departure from slick modern movies, generally. I think I'll dig Moonraker + Roger Moore when I get to it for this reason.

One of Moonraker's biggest problems is that it's sandwiched between two MUCH better Bond movies (The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only). It just can't hold up on any level, other than, "That space stuff sure was weird."

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 22, 2022

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

thrawn527 posted:

One of Moonraker's biggest problems is that it's sandwiched between two MUCH better Bond movies (The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only). It just can't hold up on any level, other than, "That space stuff sure was weird."
It's basically The Spy Who Loved Me Again, just with submarines swapped out for space shuttles. Eon weren't even planning to make it - TSWLM's end titles say the next film will be FYEO - but then Star Wars became the biggest hit of all time, and they hurriedly decided to grab some of that sweet, sweet space money in the easiest way possible by rejigging the previous script. (They also went all-in on the wacky family-friendly comedy.) It paid off for them, as Moonraker was the #1 movie of the year, but they then opted to go back to basics rather than continue as a spy version of the Pink Panther series.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Payndz posted:

It's basically The Spy Who Loved Me Again, just with submarines swapped out for space shuttles. Eon weren't even planning to make it - TSWLM's end titles say the next film will be FYEO - but then Star Wars became the biggest hit of all time, and they hurriedly decided to grab some of that sweet, sweet space money in the easiest way possible by rejigging the previous script. (They also went all-in on the wacky family-friendly comedy.) It paid off for them, as Moonraker was the #1 movie of the year, but they then opted to go back to basics rather than continue as a spy version of the Pink Panther series.

Yup, and that's why, I think, everyone looks so loving bored in it. No one wanted to make this movie, they wanted to move on to FYEO, but had to make this uninspired piece of junk instead. Moore, the villain Drax, the main Bond girl Holly Goodhead, everyone just looks like they wish they were anywhere but being in Moonraker.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think maybe the only real unsalvageable Moore movies are Man with the Golden Gun, which nearly killed the series, or Octopussy, where he spends like 30 minutes dressed as a clown. It's kind of incredible that they had one more Moore film left in them, because Octopussy screams "out of ideas."

In Moonraker I think Michael Lonsdale really understood the assignment and luckily has plentiful one-liners. Moonraker recycling plots in the Bond seems to go without saying. Of the "funny" Moore movies I think it's the best.

Michael Lonsdale looks and sounds so much like Peter Dinklage that it's also outright weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1572611839485251587