Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Buff Hardback posted:

Do they really need to demo Wayfinder with not one but two separate compasses, one as the ring, and one as the complication?

The Android clock approach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

That’s not really fair, the two compasses do appear to be pointed on the same direction

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I’m not sure how much this will really come in handy since I don’t actually need the accommodation, but on the phone in accessibility settings there’s an option to turn on AirPlay mirroring of your watch for remote control on your phone, which is pretty :monocle:.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use my series 4 to set timers with Siri frequently. Occasionally, however, it will instead say the timer app is not installed. Any idea wha could cause this/is this something that's been reported before?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

mattfl posted:

If you have to ask, you probably don't need it is a pretty good way to describe it.

I have probably 0 use for all the extra rugged stuff, but I'm gadget nerd and can't wait to get mine on friday.

I feel like this will be 99% of people for sure.

That being said as a mountain bike enthusiast I’ve only become more excited to receive this watch since it was announced.

I cannot overstate this- the Ultra is a complete game changer for mountain biking, and even MORE so now that Applecare allows unlimited damage claims.

Previous watches were completely useless because they would not only instantly break, but with the cap on damage claims, there’s just no way you could ever use an apple watch on the trail.

You can also now go on trail rides and use backtrack to get home without having to worry about getting lost. And via cellular, I can usually keep my phone at home (or just go offline for times when I can’t get reception on the trail, which is fairly often).

GAH it owns so much. Thank you Tim Apple!

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
I'm really interested in the Ultra, but like many I have concerns about the size. I'm a tall dude but skinny wrists. Didn't look too bad in MKBHD's review, and I have similar wrists. But then when I consider an 8 with stainless, the price really starts to encroach upon Ultra territory. Ultimately, it's "try it on." But I'm also not an ultra marathoner. I run short distances.

Marklar fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 22, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If you are already strongly considering the stainless steel which is not much more expensive, then since this has never existed before, I think it makes a lot of sense to try on the Ultra. The much longer battery life and the programmable action button both seem like exciting improvements.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

"Always on" lasted about two days before I turned it off. There's something about seeing the watchface out of the corner of my eye that made me constantly think I had a notification to check or something. Completely in my head, but I turned it off anyway. Imagine it'll be the same when I get a new phone.

Perfectly content still raising my arm.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

"Always on" lasted about two days before I turned it off. There's something about seeing the watchface out of the corner of my eye that made me constantly think I had a notification to check or something. Completely in my head, but I turned it off anyway. Imagine it'll be the same when I get a new phone.

Perfectly content still raising my arm.

Yeah, this was my experience, as well. Maybe if I left it on and got used to it, I'd be fine, but I'm happy moving my arm to see.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yeah either ways I always raise my arm to check time I don’t have any need for it to be visible in a neutral position

Also, if you have the money for a stainless steel cellular Apple Watch I would just go for the ultra, you would get alot more out of it for barely any increase in price, just be sure to try it to check the size and weight for your own comfort.

Or just buy a Normal aluminum Apple Watch for much less and slap on a case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wear the big medium size already and I don't think I'd want to go any bigger (but maybe I'll go try the Ultra on next time I'm around an Apple Store), but I'm not going to worry about it for another couple years anyway.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I highly disagree with both the sentiment that having the always-on display isn't way better, and that you should just go for the Ultra if you're looking at the SS.

The always-on display is super useful to glance at while you're doing other things, and it also feels far less rude to use in a social setting rather than having to obtrusively raise your arm to look at it. I would definitely say give yourself more than two days(??) to get used to it.

As for the SS vs the Ultra, they are very different things. One is a nice-looking watch that you can dress up or dress down depending on the band, and the other is a massive chunk of rugged computer on your arm that has niche features most people will never need. I could maybe see an argument for battery life, but the recent watches last more than long enough to last through any normal day, sleep track at night, and the fast charge when you wake up.

But to each his own.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I went from a 40mm S5 to 41mm S8. Funny how noticeable that 1mm is.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

AOD rules. It’s great being able to see the time from whatever position you’re in. The raise wrist detection doesn’t always work 100% of the time and I feel like a doofus having to do the motion a couple times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You don't actually have to raise your arm to turn your screen on. In my experience, even a slight move of the wrist is enough - the same gesture you'd make to look at it anyway.

Also, my battery seems to have gone way down since WatchOS 9 dropped. I was previously ending the day at 70% or so including doing a workout. Now I'm down to under 50% in the same time. Still far more than the quoted 18 hours (if extrapolated) but a bit disappointing.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Plenty of every every model of Ultra for pickup but the trail ones, which are completely out of stock.

It's almost like - hear me out here - it's loving stupid to stock a shitload of alpine and ocean bands in the bay area because everyone is on the trails.

I surfed religiously for almost 15 years and you would get mercilessly mocked at the VERY least for wearing an apple watch in the lineup. And even here there just aren't that many divers, it's a super niche activity even in areas where it's possible and good.

The trail band is also what you probably get if you don't need the watch at all (ie most people) so yeah. Can't find the most popular model anywhere, cool. Nailed it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I like the Alpine band and might get one for my S7.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s just a watch band.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Call me crazy but I don't think it's amazing to have small loops of fabric on the outside of a watch when you're a mountain biker going at high speed through shrubs and such but I suppose that could be over-reaction.

And the ocean band makes material concessions to be the best in the water. There's no way that's as comfortable as the trail band outside of the water.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Which is how you accessorize the watch. Why hate on someone who likes different bands?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Oh I'm just elaborating on why a band isn't always just a band, wear whatever you want. People do exist though (and they are the primary audience for the Ultra) for whom these bands do have material downsides and upsides.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Taima posted:

Oh I'm just elaborating on why a band isn't always just a band, wear whatever you want. People do exist though (and they are the primary audience for the Ultra) for whom these bands do have material downsides and upsides.

Sorry that wasn’t directed at you. You just can just type a lot faster than me.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I ordered the alpine band and will mountain bike with it but if branches are catching on my watch band I’ve already hosed up pretty bad, at least on the trails I ride on.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Taima posted:

Plenty of every every model of Ultra for pickup but the trail ones, which are completely out of stock.

It's almost like - hear me out here - it's loving stupid to stock a shitload of alpine and ocean bands in the bay area because everyone is on the trails.

I surfed religiously for almost 15 years and you would get mercilessly mocked at the VERY least for wearing an apple watch in the lineup. And even here there just aren't that many divers, it's a super niche activity even in areas where it's possible and good.

The trail band is also what you probably get if you don't need the watch at all (ie most people) so yeah. Can't find the most popular model anywhere, cool. Nailed it.

I've never understood apple choice of packaging for watch, provide the core watch and charger in the box and sell the watch bands separately so you can maximize efficiency in skus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

It’s just a watch band.
It's bright orange and looks cool

SlowBloke posted:

I've never understood apple choice of packaging for watch, provide the core watch and charger in the box and sell the watch bands separately so you can maximize efficiency in skus.
This is what they do since at least the S7, and I think the S6 was when they started. If a store doesn't "have" a specific band SKU but have others, it means they don't have the band at all.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

100% dude!~

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

And they have a watch creator already built so just have to throw add to cart button on there and be done with it. All the logistics of creating new packaging notwithstanding.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Decided to upgrade from a space grey 4 to a red 8. I didn't think I could bear going with midnight and it being so close to black but not. So I went the opposite direction and decided to go "flashy". I noticed, and it's a bit of a disservice, you can only preview the Product Red watch with Product Red straps on Apple's site (I get why), so I had to go looking on reddit to see how it'd look with the graphite milanese loop. Turns out the black/red color scheme is quite nice.

Raised/AOD

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Got mine, first impression is that photos of it on my wrist make it look a lot larger than in reality. So you all on the fence may want to try one on for yourself and not judge completely by pictures.

Will be rolling with it for a while to see my opinion is changed or not, but so far it's a keeper.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jabro posted:

And they have a watch creator already built so just have to throw add to cart button on there and be done with it. All the logistics of creating new packaging notwithstanding.
Are y'all just gaslighting me or something? You "build" a Watch, hit "save" and it dumps you to the buy page with the exact configuration you picked. The packaging is an outer box that encloses two boxes: one for the Watch and one for the band.

(The Ultra isn't on this yet, but I bet it's the same concept.)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Endless Mike posted:

Are y'all just gaslighting me or something? You "build" a Watch, hit "save" and it dumps you to the buy page with the exact configuration you picked. The packaging is an outer box that encloses two boxes: one for the Watch and one for the band.

(The Ultra isn't on this yet, but I bet it's the same concept.)

My ultra came with separate boxes for the watch and the band.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I dont need one yet but I’m really eyeing up the ultra. I do like a lot of the features.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Spectracide posted:

Decided to upgrade from a space grey 4 to a red 8. I didn't think I could bear going with midnight and it being so close to black but not. So I went the opposite direction and decided to go "flashy". I noticed, and it's a bit of a disservice, you can only preview the Product Red watch with Product Red straps on Apple's site (I get why), so I had to go looking on reddit to see how it'd look with the graphite milanese loop. Turns out the black/red color scheme is quite nice.

Raised/AOD

What’s on the bottom left of your watch face?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The main reason I’ve used the Modular face is it’s one of the few faces that let you display your most recent heart rate reading (it seems to require a “middle” complication).

Anyone know of a way to show the actual heart rate in a corner complication?

Somewhat related, there are two things I don’t really get regarding faces:
1) Why have no option for displaying just the temperature?
2) Why not have an exemption for the activity complication on faces where you set the color? Seems to me they’ve spent years making the blue/green/red rings kind of the symbol of Apple + fitness.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Why would anyone need an hour-by-hour report on the weather on their watch face?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
"I need to go on a 40min run. Is there a dry spell coming up in the next few hours in this otherwise lovely weather? Can a quick glance on my watch fix this?"

Or something like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

1) Why have no option for displaying just the temperature?

There was in watchOS 8 and earlier when complications had two styles. That complication is still there but it has a colored ring around it that indicates the heat index and daily high/low range. It's not ideal but does the job.

I think maybe there should be toggles for simple/fancy mode but as a developer I sure wouldn't want to support that so I can kinda see why they unified everything.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

"I need to go on a 40min run. Is there a dry spell coming up in the next few hours in this otherwise lovely weather? Can a quick glance on my watch fix this?"

Or something like that.

That makes sense, I live somewhere with very predictable weather so the idea of looking at the weather more than once every two days or so is a lot to me.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am watching on an Ultra followup, at least different colors as the silver and bright orange just make it look like construction equipment.

(I get that the material is harder to color without scratching off)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!

ThermoPhysical posted:

What’s on the bottom left of your watch face?

A "Steps & Distance" complication from Pedometer++.