Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Failed Imagineer posted:

The GOP doesn't give a poo poo about that lol

jarlywarly posted:

The GOP isn't going down any roads, they are driving in random directions full speed over wild landscapes in a raised truck rolling coal on the justice system. If they decide this doesn't apply to Trump it sure will if someone they don't like ever does a similar thing.

As long as they can get it to someone who can make a judgement call in their favor they will.

Pretty much this. It's just guns, bibles and USA USA USA chants all the way down in between counting money made off the backs of wage earners while using talk radio and poo poo like that to convince 80% of their audience that this actually a good thing that will benefit them.

Countdown now to how the special master is a loser, a huge disappointment and voted for a democrat once 25 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AvesPKS posted:

The executive branch (although not necessarily the congressional) is treating the deletion of Jan. 6 USSS texts as if it happened because people did not understand policies and the law, and did not understand their responsibilities as records custodians.

But is that even plausible? It seems like it has to be a cover for willful deletion...right?

I don't know how they're actually treating it, but yeah it's either a huuuuuge gap in procedure and training, or a coverup. I'm leaning toward the latter because "don't delete records from the biggest event in our* lifetimes" seems like a pretty obvious thing to ensure.

*I mean USSS here

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Sep 23, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Countdown now to how the special master is a loser, a huge disappointment and voted for a democrat once 25 years ago.

Also to the inevitable chud death threats that will be sent to him

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

mobby_6kl posted:

I don't know how they're actually treating it, but yeah it's either a huuuuuge gap in procedure and training, or a coverup. I'm leaning toward the latter because "don't delete records from the biggest even in our lifetimes" seems like a pretty obvious thing to ensure.

The biggest event in our lifetimes so far

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
'Election denier playbook': Trump supporters seeking state office raise fears of 2nd insurrection

https://news.yahoo.com/election-denier-playbook-trump-supporters-seeking-state-office-raise-fears-of-2nd-insurrection-181705184.html

quote:

Supporters of former President Donald Trump seeking to control elections across the country have raised the specter of a second insurrection, akin to the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol, and fears that they will help try to rig the election results for Trump if he seeks the presidency again.

But experts tracking an array of races for positions with control over elections — from governor to county election clerk — say it’s unclear what form a second insurrection could take.

The threat is clouded in part by uncertainty over how much lawmakers will clarify about the previously obscure Electoral Count Act (ECA) and what the Supreme Court will do regarding the “independent legislature” theory, which could block courts from intervening in how elections are run.

bipartisan groups tracking the threat of another insurrection have consistently warned that Trump supporters running to control state elections — from Arizona secretary of state candidate Mark Finchem to Pennsylvania gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano — could take the reins and attempt to certify whatever results they want.

“The problem is, the coup did not actually end on Jan. 6. It simply went into a brief hibernation and almost immediately began gathering energy to succeed next time,” said Norm Eisen, founder of the bipartisan group States United Democracy Center and a former top official in the Obama administration.

“They saw that the election refs applied the existing rules to produce the right result,” Eisen said of the 2020 election. “So now they’re going to replace the refs, and they're going to replace the rules so they can change the results. It’s the election denier playbook, and you see this in state after state.”

Huh. I can't imagine for the life of me how the current SCOTUS would come down on this and surely Thomas would have the decency to recuse himself, right?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
poo poo or get off the pot

https://mobile.twitter.com/CREWcrew/status/1573046628377919490

LFMAO
https://twitter.com/rgoodlaw/status/1573116315304329216

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 23, 2022

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

If it turns out that Cannon knew that Trump was trying to delay and instead brought the SM in to corner him, while also eliminating his ability to delay by bringing it up to SCOTUS, I will eat my hat.

I hope Trump's lawyers got paid in advance.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

J.A.B.C. posted:

If it turns out that Cannon knew that Trump was trying to delay and instead brought the SM in to corner him, while also eliminating his ability to delay by bringing it up to SCOTUS, I will eat my hat.

I mean, obviously it's incompetence on her part.

He literally paid 3.89 million dollars on lawyers last month, most of it due to a 3 million dollar retainer that a supposedly good lawyer demanded.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

J.A.B.C. posted:

She’s just incompetent as well as partisan. Some reasonable people have tried to characterize her as just inexperienced and in over her head leading her down a path of bad choices. I don’t think that’s all of it, she’s willfully rejecting advice from the foremost experts in these areas to make her rulings.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1573105368175190018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Something tells me this guy won't see a penny of his final invoice from Donald "I will never pay" Trump. Just going out on a limb here.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

nine-gear crow posted:

Something tells me this guy won't see a penny of his final invoice from Donald "I will never pay" Trump. Just going out on a limb here.

Would it be contempt of court for Trump to not pay, or even to argue the bill? The SM is authorized by the court to bring in help as needed, and the court has ordered Trump to pay for said help.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

He just paid nearly 4 million on legal bills in the last month.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Levitate posted:

what's the next tactic other than trying to get the supreme court to take it up

He's not above summoning an armed violent mob.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I have doubts that a proper SM can judge anything "not claimed". Perhaps there are some obvious cases, but given the workload here there's very little point in them reading every line of a document if the plaintiff claims no right to it.

That may sound like good news but think like Double Peach for a moment: He will claim that every single document is c+d+e+f (and half of those are also a)!
I see the stuff that's already been returned by the filter team as ultra low hanging fruit. The SM told Trump's team to do that poo poo first, and as long as they put forth the barest minimum of effort the DOJ probably won't contest any of it.

The fireworks would be if they gently caress around with that stuff, which would be a pretty giant signal that they aren't serious. That's where I think things would go very poorly for both Trump and his lawyers.

It kind of seems like busy work, so that's where I'm curious about how common it is for a special master to request litigants to do it with documents that aren't even being contested.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1573128920291053569

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ok but unless the financial penalty actually hurts them this is meaningless.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Could you please, please link an actual loving article and not a tweet reaction.

Here are two articles covering this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-will-have-to-pay-for-special-masters-assistant-2022-9
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/22/special-master-trump-mar-a-lago-magistrate-00058437

The order is sketchy because a) the judge being requested at least helped draft it and b) they're known for taking some at least controversial positions on privacy issues.

Angry_Ed posted:

Ok but unless the financial penalty actually hurts them this is meaningless.

Could you please, please read the loving article. It's $120k (which is likely a significant amount for Veritas), Project Veritas is at least proposing to appeal, and there are several parallel cases against the group which will potentially be aided by this finding.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 23, 2022

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Discendo Vox posted:

Could you please, please read the loving article. It's $120k (which is likely a significant amount for Veritas), Project Veritas is at least proposing to appeal, and there are several parallel cases against the group which will potentially be aided by this finding.
They’re raised 6.6 million over eight years and have paid $150k in fines before. I think they’re built to withstand this, and if not there’s certainly some cretin glad to throw money at them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

They’re raised 6.6 million over eight years and have paid $150k in fines before. I think they’re built to withstand this, and if not there’s certainly some cretin glad to throw money at them.

Repeatedly insisting that nothing matters while not citing facts (or not backing up your claims) doesn't do anything to contribute to the discussion.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

The executive branch (although not necessarily the congressional) is treating the deletion of Jan. 6 USSS texts as if it happened because people did not understand policies and the law, and did not understand their responsibilities as records custodians.

But is that even plausible? It seems like it has to be a cover for willful deletion...right?

At the level of individual Secret Service agents, it's extremely plausible that the texts were simply accidentally lost.

At the organizational level, a highly competent administrator would have realized the risk of data being lost and sought to come up with policies and procedures to minimize that risk. A mediocre administrator, more focused on on-the-ground protection work to the exclusion of routine IT procedures and legal compliance requirements, might very well fail to recognize the risk.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

Could you please, please link an actual loving article and not a tweet reaction.

Here are two articles covering this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-will-have-to-pay-for-special-masters-assistant-2022-9
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/22/special-master-trump-mar-a-lago-magistrate-00058437

The order is sketchy because a) the judge being requested at least helped draft it and b) they're known for taking some at least controversial positions on privacy issues.

I don’t see how this is ‘sketchy’. If I were requesting a colleague be added to a team I was managing I would give them a chance to review and edit or provide changes to the request.

I also don’t see a FISA court judge who has voiced privacy concerns as a bad thing at all. Also, DoJ can object to his appointment if they want (they won’t). The classified documents are out of play and this is just separating legit protected docs from government owned documents or ‘private property’, whatever that means in this case since they were seized legally. This isn’t a process that DoJ gets no say in, they can and will object to any determination they don’t agree with and none of this is really the subject of the criminal statutes listed in the warrant.

On the contrary I see Dearie adding an experienced pro who is steeped in the need for government secrets as an unobjectionably good thing. That he’s also proposing to use EDNY staff who are all professionals used to the rigors of legally consequential work as a good thing. The clown show alternative would be so much worse, some 3rd rate conservative know nothings like cyber ninjas screwing everything up so horribly it can’t be recovered.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 23, 2022

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Plus the judge already holds a TS clearance from being a FISA judge so it'll help things move faster since they won't need background checks.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Discendo Vox posted:

Repeatedly insisting that nothing matters while not citing facts (or not backing up your claims) doesn't do anything to contribute to the discussion.
I literally stated specific facts you can check on Wikipedia, and this “sit back and watch the republicans gently caress up and lose :smug:” attitude is how we ended up in hellworld 2016-current.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I literally stated specific facts you can check on Wikipedia, and this “sit back and watch the republicans gently caress up and lose :smug:” attitude is how we ended up in hellworld 2016-current.

I did not, nor has anyone else to my knowledge, made the claim you are assigning to “we” as an “attitude”. It reads a lot like objecting to having any kind of discussion that even might entail positive outcomes.

“We” are also not supposed to have track down the uncited sources for your claim, which appears to be an incompletely cited sentence in the opening paragraph of a Wikipedia article- which you also misinterpreted. Project veritas is in multiple court cases, and their most recent 990s, available from the IRS to 2019, show an expense pattern in which the group burns through 75-80% of income each year. It’s a low-level individual-based operation and this relatively vulnerable to legal pressure.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

V-Men posted:

Plus the judge already holds a TS clearance from being a FISA judge so it'll help things move faster since they won't need background checks.

Not really how it works with SAR/SCI. Each silo determines who can and can not have access and can have non-standard requirements that need to be vetted individually. TS just gets you past the first hurdle of being eligible to be considered.

That said I don't think the judges will be required to review any of those documents with classification markings. The ODNI will perform their review and some senior member of government will provide an affidavit that "We certify that we have performed a classification review as set forth in this standard and following this procedure and that this document contains information critical to the national security on penalty of perjury" for each and every one of those documents and that will be sufficient for the SM and any sane judge.

For Trump to refute it he will need to cite specific evidence for each document that he wants to challenge that calls into question the honesty of the governments sworn statement. "I swear on penalty of perjury that I mentally thought that document was unclassified and so the governments review was incomplete and invalid" which he will never, ever do. And would be irrelevant because the classification status is just an organizational tool, the important part of all this, and more importantly the part codified in law (and recognized by the appellate court in their ruling), is that the contents of the document could cause great harm to the security of the united states. And no matter what mental gymnastics trump does that fact will not change and is not dependent on red block letters on a piece of paper.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
White House switchboard called a Capitol rioter on January 6

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/denver...inkId=182781555

Hadn't heard this before. I can't think of a reason this could happen without knowing who was going to be there that day.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

AhhYes posted:

Hadn't heard this before. I can't think of a reason this could happen without knowing who was going to be there that day.

Jesus Christ, haven't these jokers heard of burner cellphones?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Cimber posted:

They thought they were gonna win

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

AhhYes posted:

We'll probably hear about this at the next J6 hearing on Wednesday

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

We'll probably hear about this at the next J6 hearing on Wednesday

Assuming that the release of this info was planned, the J6 media game has been spot on. Who gets people to watch congressional hearings in July, but millions of people did. Thats amazing.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

AhhYes posted:

Is this during the period of missing call logs?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Cimber posted:

Burners are for criminals, duh.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
During Donnie's 1st month, to stop leaks / spying from OBUMMER, his WH staff bought not a burner/2nd phones to use. They're real phone was put in shoeboxes wrapped in foil.

warning if youre ignorant about the details of the next guy DONT look it up.
Also the Druggar son thought just downloading a linux iso and tor browser covered his tracks.

these people arent good at info sec, then again the system is poo poo at getting them compared to non regressives so lol.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

AhhYes posted:

So if Riggleman knows about one end of that call....which end was it?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

So if Riggleman knows about one end of that call....which end was it?
He says in the quotation it wasn't the WH side. Nothing more specific.
Here it is:

quote:

"I only know one end of that call," Riggleman said. "I don't know the White House end, which I believe is more important. But the thing is the American people need to know that there are link connections that need to be explored more."

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 24, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

He says in the quotation it wasn't the WH side. Nothing more specific.

Ooooo

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah this feels rather coordinated. Why this guy and why now right before the hearing? I’m with the ‘drum up interest’ faction. ‘The call was coming from inside the (White) House’ is classic plot even the dumbest most tuned out non-voter knows and it’s a great teaser.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

I just can't get over the realization that this news item is coming courtesy of the Bigfoot sex book congressman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1573833376775151616

In case you were worried.