Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Yup :science: says they can actually fall from like 7 stories & survive with little to no injury because of their small size & how they sort of control/brace themselves

Tangentially related, man I miss those weird-rear end games :lol: I mean just LOOK at the box art they had, how can anyone not want to check it out?

God I remember downloading the demo from some demo website (maybe puppy was in the url?) at my dad's office. Moonlight sonata whilst floating through a cows GI track was a level, iirc.

E:happypuppy.com

Leon Sumbitches has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Sep 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Me and my brother played the crap outta

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Moonlight sonata whilst floating through a cows GI track was a level, iirc.

Jim's a Blind Cave Salamander, from Earthworm Jim 2. Classic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Earthworm James

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Yup :science: says they can actually fall from like 7 stories & survive with little to no injury because of their small size & how they sort of control/brace themselves

Tangentially related, man I miss those weird-rear end games :lol: I mean just LOOK at the box art they had, how can anyone not want to check it out?

Doug Tenappel is a creative genius.

Also try not to look into his politics.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

jesus christ lol

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I read in interesting study that said a cats fall survivability may increase above a certain height. At lower heights, if a cat falls it's still trying to right itself and freaking out trying to prepare for the landing. At higher heights, the cat has more time to right itself, prepare to land, and once it hits terminal velocity it no longer feels the forces of acceleration and may calm down slightly which would aid in sticking the landing.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I read in interesting study that said a cats fall survivability may increase above a certain height. At lower heights, if a cat falls it's still trying to right itself and freaking out trying to prepare for the landing. At higher heights, the cat has more time to right itself, prepare to land, and once it hits terminal velocity it no longer feels the forces of acceleration and may calm down slightly which would aid in sticking the landing.

I've also heard that but wonder how true it is after watching the episode of Smarter Every Day where he drops his cat from shoulder height and it has time to flip over. I guess that cat knew it was in a precarious situation as opposed to a cat slipping off a balcony?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Cat Hatter posted:

I've also heard that but wonder how true it is after watching the episode of Smarter Every Day where he drops his cat from shoulder height and it has time to flip over. I guess that cat knew it was in a precarious situation as opposed to a cat slipping off a balcony?

Probably. Who knows though, the data is all anecdotal from cat owners whose cats fell by accident, or theoretical since no one (we hope) is tossing cats off skyscrapers to see what happens.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
yeah sort of figured cats have a pretty low weight to surface area, so looked it up:

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17492802

They do get pretty fast (97kph/60mph) but interestingly mentioned:

quote:

"Cats have long, compliant legs," says Jim Usherwood of the structure and motion lab at the Royal Veterinary College. "They've got decent muscles. In that they're able to jump quite well, the same muscles divert energy into decelerating rather than breaking bones."

The springy legs increase the distance over which the force of the collision with the ground dissipates, says Dr Biewener.

"The impact forces are much higher in stiff collisions," he says. "If they can increase the collision time over a longer period, that reduces the impact force."

And a cat's legs are angled under the body rather than extended downward, like human or horse legs.

"You're not transmitting the forces really directly," says Dr Socha.

But yeah unsurprisingly turns out cats are very well evolved to take a fall.

Edit:
Also:

lol brilliant.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Probably. Who knows though, the data is all anecdotal from cat owners whose cats fell by accident, or theoretical since no one (we hope) is tossing cats off skyscrapers to see what happens.

Yeah, even the YouTube video I cited had them dropping the cat into a box of pillows.

It's like trying to make sense out of cats jumping onto a refrigerator but sometimes they'll just be dumb and eat poo poo jumping onto a chair.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cat Hatter posted:

It's like trying to make sense out of cats jumping onto a refrigerator but sometimes they'll just be dumb and eat poo poo jumping onto a chair.

There's nothing funny than seeing a cat try and make a jump, complete gently caress it up, be dazed for a second, then immediately act really cool like they 100% meant to exactly do that dumb poo poo.

Cat's are amazingly weird sometimes, but yeah that's relatable.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

dr_rat posted:

There's nothing funny than seeing a cat try and make a jump, complete gently caress it up, be dazed for a second, then immediately act really cool like they 100% meant to exactly do that dumb poo poo.

Cat's are amazingly weird sometimes, but yeah that's relatable.

Yeah their tendency to start grooming or more precisely to lick one paw and casually swipe an ear back is a very interesting choice after a devastating ego injury.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
gently caress it, here's the video. The whole thing is worth watching if you want to know how cats can flip over without violating conservation of momentum, but if you just want to skip straight to watching cats fall in slow motion I've got it linked to the first drop:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtWbpyjJqrU&t=65s

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The studies I've seen along those lines were based on observations from veterinarians, who don't see the cats killed by high falls.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I've seen a cat flip itself over in a two inch fall, they're just weird angels who poo poo in boxes

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

lmfao, putting that one in my onedrive folder

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

ultrafilter posted:

The studies I've seen along those lines were based on observations from veterinarians, who don't see the cats killed by high falls.

QI had a bit about it, and the studies were exactly that from New York City. Below 7 stories there were a lot more deaths/extremely serious injuries, above that and they might have a broken leg or be scratched up but they mostly made it.

Took a long time for the study because they specifically weren't throwing cats out of windows, they just asked all the vets to keep track.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

seaborgium posted:

Took a long time for the study because they specifically weren't throwing cats out of windows, they just asked all the vets to keep track.

Cowards

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Seems somewhat relevant

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

verbal enema posted:

Seems somewhat relevant

:sickos:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
There's a short documentary on Netflix right now called Inside The Mind Of A Cat that's actually worth watching. It goes into some depth about their self-righting instincts and other fascinating stuff. And if nothing else, it's got great high-def slow-motion footage of cats doing hilarious stuf.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

verbal enema posted:

Seems somewhat relevant

Man, imagine Pinky but worse and there's four of them. And you're skydiving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okZW3_5Gr4s

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1573025397758992386?cxt=HHwWhIC9gfuQwdQrAAAA

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

verbal enema posted:

Seems somewhat relevant

Less relevant, but I'm going to mention it anyway.
I once knew a guy who needed over 100 sutures (126, if memory serves) in his face, neck, chest and arms because he got drunk and thought it would be a good idea to pick up a goanna (big Australian tree-climbing lizard; huge gently caress-off claws).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Lady Disdain posted:

I once knew a guy who needed over 100 sutures (126, if memory serves) in his face, neck, chest and arms because he got drunk and thought it would be a good idea to pick up a goanna (big Australian tree-climbing lizard; huge gently caress-off claws).

nah its relevant animals with big gently caress off claws are badass for a reason!

what i want to know is whats the difference between claws and nails? like my hamster has "claws" but he sure dont use them offensively against me when i feed him thats what his horrible teeth are for gently caress me those hurt

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Lady Disdain posted:

I dealt with goanna bites and scratches half a dozen times in Texas because of a reptile shop that was cavalier with their handling policies

Some of those people got hosed right up.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

verbal enema posted:

nah its relevant animals with big gently caress off claws are badass for a reason!

what i want to know is whats the difference between claws and nails? like my hamster has "claws" but he sure dont use them offensively against me when i feed him thats what his horrible teeth are for gently caress me those hurt

The ability to retract them?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Nah, some animal claws don't retract. Claws are more hook-shaped and thick, while nails are just a curved flat surface that's not particularly sharp. Kinda like comparing steak knives to butter knives.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

freeedr posted:

I dealt with goanna bites and scratches half a dozen times in Texas because of a reptile shop that was cavalier with their handling policies

Some of those people got hosed right up.

I knew some guys who owned a reptile shop in Australia and they're weren't exactly cavalier about their handling policies but they were pretty relaxed with all their animals ..... with the one exception being the big lace monitor they had in the back. That was the only animal which had the special rule "Do not do ANYTHING involving that fucker unless at least 2 staff are present"

verbal enema posted:

Scathach posted:

Nah, some animal claws don't retract. Claws are more hook-shaped and thick, while nails are just a curved flat surface that's not particularly sharp. Kinda like comparing steak knives to butter knives.

Also claws are generally used for actively grasping things (prey, perches, climbing trees) and nails are generally used passively/indirect

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
so my hamster DOES have claws what an absolute unit

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Lady Disdain posted:

Holy poo poo, I once read somewhere that the average chainsaw injury is only 120 stitches.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lmao that we have an idea of "the average chainsaw injury"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The average treatable chainsaw injury, mind you.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Chainsaw injuries are often not stitched at all or only a few to hold in basic approximation because chainsaws chew tissue right the gently caress up and the wound borders are too tattered to pull together nicely and have a good effect anyway. I have seen a few get fully repaired. That’s my experience after seeing ~ 20 chainsaw injuries, so small sample size overall.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My dad, logger by birth who started working in the woods with his dad at 14 back in the 60's, was so thoroughly horrified/impressed by the demonstration of a chainsaw against a pork hock, and then against a pork hock wearing kevlar chainsaw chaps, that he immediately bought chaps and wore them the rest of his career.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Big deal my dad also wore chaps

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The chainsaw was invented to cut flesh, by Bernhard Heine in 1830.

Only in the 1920s did chainsaws begin to be used on trees.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Platystemon posted:

The chainsaw was invented to cut flesh, by Bernhard Heine in 1830.

Only in the 1920s did chainsaws begin to be used on trees.

And then in 1993, it was finally used for its true purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Death of Rats posted:

And then in 1993, it was finally used for its true purpose
:hmmyes: