Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Patti Harrison should be HulkKing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

nooneofconsequence posted:

Patti Harrison should be Hulkling.

I don't even know who Patti Harrison is outside this show, but I just like the closeness/pun in that handle.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There's leaked video of the trailer. I wouldn't describe him as lame. He looks like a weird giant CGI nightmare face.

My understanding is that he’s now just a robot, instead of a guy with a huge head.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

This show desperately needs to learn that being meta doesn't make it funny. Making a poo poo show and then predicting your own criticisms is so weird. Like oh yeah, we were aware most people would find our character unlikable and annoying but continued to write her this way anyway to really stick it to em. Genius.

youtube comment lol

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't much like Nikki either -- I've said it before, she's like some amalgamated nexus being of every single over-the-top clownish best friend character rolled into one -- but I think the last two eps in particular show that she's at least pretty good at her job and knows how to get things done so like, I can see why Jen (and now Mallory) keep her around.

Barreft posted:

This show desperately needs to learn that being meta doesn't make it funny.
Hard disagree, every meta beat has landed great :buddy:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

tsob posted:

I don't even know who Patti Harrison is outside this show, but I just like the closeness/pun in that handle.

https://youtu.be/-ZBwPmla8QQ

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
What a good episode.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

tsob posted:

https://twitter.com/JarettSays/status/1412861225516507139?s=20&t=bVV0mAYcJWEOYGbiBSKIzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZBwPmla8QQ

I'll just keep plugging ITYSL, tbh.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Is that supposed to be funny? It’s so far removed from my sense of humor I honestly can’t tell. It looks like a skit that Tim and Eric would have turned down.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ApeHawk posted:

I swear, this show alone is just showing how blind most of the viewers of TV/movies are these days.

There are actually people out there complaining about the plot and they don't realize this is just a silly sitcom about a hulk lady as a single lawyer and that's it. Like, it HAS to have some impressive story just because it's Marvel or something.

I do kind of wish they'd go a little more seriously on occasion like you'd see Ally McBeal or Boston Legal do. Like may the firm gets hired because some little kid with super-powers gets grabbed by Damage Control or something.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Everyone posted:

I do kind of wish they'd go a little more seriously on occasion like you'd see Ally McBeal or Boston Legal do. Like may the firm gets hired because some little kid with super-powers gets grabbed by Damage Control or something.

That can be Ms. Marvel S2. Bruno will be in LA.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 23, 2022

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Apparently the Madisynn and Wong scene at the end of episode 4 was completely improvised. That had leftover shooting time and just decided to come up with something on the spot.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Super Deuce posted:

Is that supposed to be funny? It’s so far removed from my sense of humor I honestly can’t tell. It looks like a skit that Tim and Eric would have turned down.

are you?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Super Deuce posted:

Finally, something I can agree with you about. I feel like one of those kids watching this, just utter confusion. Like I can tell it's supposed to be comedic, and it seems like it might be building towards something funny, but then nothing ever happens.

Don't mind me, I'll just go back to youtube and watch some brian alvarez and michael henry skits.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I Think You Should Leave is one of the funniest sketch shows in years.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Barreft posted:

This show desperately needs to learn that being meta doesn't make it funny. Making a poo poo show and then predicting your own criticisms is so weird. Like oh yeah, we were aware most people would find our character unlikable and annoying but continued to write her this way anyway to really stick it to em. Genius.

youtube comment lol

The show isn't predicting it's criticism though; it's predicting the shallow hate from a specific sector of society. Which is insecure men. It's not predicting legitimate criticisms on it's pacing, the depth of it's characters, the quality of it's humor etc. Ones I don't agree with, or at least don't agree are a problem given the show's focus, but which I can see why people hold against it regardless. What it's predicting are things like men in universe asking "why is She-Hulk stronger/better than Hulk?".

The show's primary focus isn't the characters or any particular narrative though as far as I can see, it's exploring women's place and power in society through She-Hulk. Who, superficially, should no longer have any real worries or be prone to a lot of the problems other women are because she is super strong and basically invulnerable. The fact she's a superhuman does put her above some worries, see:

Jen: "I can walk home at night while listening to headphones"
Nikki: "That's the dream..."

...but, she still has to deal with a lot of the social stigma and hate that other women, both in real life and in the show, receive on a regular basis. If not an amplified version of it because she's so visible as a super powered woman who certain men think is encroaching on a male figure that they almost certainly revere. The Hulk is a super strong, invulnerable ball of anger who could theoretically crush anyone or anything that displeases him if he's in a bad mood and then immediately brush of any and all responsibility. "It wasn't me though! It was the other guy; my anger. I can't control that. It's an entirely separate personality. What a dick head, right?" But, he also gets to be a hero when he saves the day using that same persona. Which, to some people is basically the best of both worlds. All the power, no responsibility.

And now Jen has the same deal. Only, she can't brush off the responsibility since she retains at least most of her personality and control when she transforms. Which means all the power and all the responsibility even when she doesn't want or deserve it. See the Wrecking Crew douches walking up to her and claiming that if "she's going to parade around showing off her powers" that they're going to smack her down for it. She transformed once to save people, and got fired for doing so despite it being the right thing even by the judgement of the guy firing her and they're going to punish her for having the temerity to do so. The real reason is probably just that they hate that she has something they don't though.

One thing that I liked in the last episode was when Nikki and Mallory were scrolling through RedditIntelligencia that the last visible post was basically some guy saying "The Hulk could totally beat her up. And should. I don't even know what I'd do if I saw them fighting for real lol. I could probably beat her up myself, she's not even super strong". Like, super strength is what defines a Hulk even in the MCU and was on evidence even in her brief tussle with Titania in court, but both the Wrecking Crew and some random keyboard warrior think they could beat the She-Hulk up because "pssh...women can't actually be strong!". Which echoes sentiments I've seen online several times in the past about random guys thinking they could take professional athletes like MMA fighters or wrestlers because they're women.

This episode is more of the same even outside that though. Jen wanted to go to a wedding and show off for once, as Jen and as She-Hulk and go "look at me; my life is actually going pretty good", but everyone wanted to quash that. The bride obviously wanted to stop She-Hulk from overshadowing her, but she even pushed normal Jen out of the way on several occasions. Which all the other bridesmaids appeared happy to go along with. Not douchebag men, but women who've been taught that life is competition and they have to squash anything threatening them, basically.

Which Titania is the ultimate symbol of in the show. Titania has been grafting for years now to get some slice of fame and a good life, but rather than celebrating someone else doing well she wants to punish Jen for doing so without working for it as far as Titania can see. She got super powers for free, and that's all Titania knows or cares about. The lawyer part of Jen's life means nothing to her. Jen got powers by chance, and then free press despite not looking for it and now everyone loves her even when she doesn't want that fame. She has everything Titania wanted, and rather than celebrate that or be friends, Titania is jealous.

I don't know how to end this as such, especially since I'm very much aware I'm now mansplaining a show primarily about women's issues so someone else is surely better placed to do so, but I find it a fascinating look over the fence to another segment of life that I'll never really know. Like, I cannot imagine being scared to walk home at night, with or without headphones, but I can also totally imagine why a woman would be. I'd never even think twice about doing it, and have done so probably thousands of times in the past, but if not for a quirk of birth I wouldn't feel safe doing even something so simple and small and the show highlighting that, and all the issues surrounding it is cool to me even if I didn't think it was funny and have a pre-existing love for the central character.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Another great episode, I love everything about this show and Nikki is the best character by far.

The fact it pisses off certain sections of the Marvel fanbase endear it to me even more.

I *was* looking forward to seeing Matt Murdock though, not gonna lie

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Dell_Zincht posted:

I *was* looking forward to seeing Matt Murdock though, not gonna lie

Jen told us this wasn't going to be a cameo show!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sitcoms and legal dramas just aren't my cup of tea, alas. I enjoy the show ripping incel types to shreds and there's been a few funny gags, but the meat of the show just isn't for me.

All the same, I'm glad the show exists.

Stay mad, incels.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Shageletic posted:

At least for Patti it was clear that she was faking her collegiality with She Hulk due to all the people that were watching and taping her.

She was just pissed because Eddie Munster got dirt all over her tables.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

I Think You Should Leave rules. It's main thematic joke is riffing on people who (because of a certain circumstance usually comedic) get out of control-crazy, to the detriment of others.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Oasx posted:

My understanding is that he’s now just a robot, instead of a guy with a huge head.

He has a huge head in the leaked trailer footage. But, he's also wearing a giant helmet, the guy who leaked it has his cell phone down by his knees to hide it and is taking the video at a 45 degree angle, and he's only in the trailer for about two seconds. So, it's hard to get a good look.

I know there is a T-Shirt that is allegedly a leak of his design.

He could be a robot with a huge head or a guy with a huge head and a helmet. Either way, he has a giant head and a tiny body.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Super Deuce posted:

Prompted by like all of your posts in this thread, it's time to let you in on a secret -

Culture is kind of like language, in that if you don't "get" a piece of art or culture, 90% of the time it is because you're not fluent in in the various cultural contexts and signposts that its assembled from and (crucially) is in conversation with, and thus you are finding it inaccessible - not that it is bad, or beneath you. There are whole music genres I don't really get, because I'm not culturally literate in them, and my ears aren't tuned to the various sound shapes, what they represent, and how it might be referencing or responding to its genre or adjacent genres. Metal is essentially in another language to me, although it's clear that people in that scene are having a great time.

But a post like this + many of your others are the cultural equivalent of picking up a book in a foreign language and saying that you don't think it's very good because none of the symbols make sense.

I hope this helps

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

tsob posted:

The show isn't predicting it's criticism though; it's predicting the shallow hate from a specific sector of society. Which is insecure men. It's not predicting legitimate criticisms on it's pacing, the depth of it's characters, the quality of it's humor etc. Ones I don't agree with, or at least don't agree are a problem given the show's focus, but which I can see why people hold against it regardless. What it's predicting are things like men in universe asking "why is She-Hulk stronger/better than Hulk?".

The show's primary focus isn't the characters or any particular narrative though as far as I can see, it's exploring women's place and power in society through She-Hulk. Who, superficially, should no longer have any real worries or be prone to a lot of the problems other women are because she is super strong and basically invulnerable. The fact she's a superhuman does put her above some worries, see:

Jen: "I can walk home at night while listening to headphones"
Nikki: "That's the dream..."

...but, she still has to deal with a lot of the social stigma and hate that other women, both in real life and in the show, receive on a regular basis. If not an amplified version of it because she's so visible as a super powered woman who certain men think is encroaching on a male figure that they almost certainly revere. The Hulk is a super strong, invulnerable ball of anger who could theoretically crush anyone or anything that displeases him if he's in a bad mood and then immediately brush of any and all responsibility. "It wasn't me though! It was the other guy; my anger. I can't control that. It's an entirely separate personality. What a dick head, right?" But, he also gets to be a hero when he saves the day using that same persona. Which, to some people is basically the best of both worlds. All the power, no responsibility.

And now Jen has the same deal. Only, she can't brush off the responsibility since she retains at least most of her personality and control when she transforms. Which means all the power and all the responsibility even when she doesn't want or deserve it. See the Wrecking Crew douches walking up to her and claiming that if "she's going to parade around showing off her powers" that they're going to smack her down for it. She transformed once to save people, and got fired for doing so despite it being the right thing even by the judgement of the guy firing her and they're going to punish her for having the temerity to do so. The real reason is probably just that they hate that she has something they don't though.

One thing that I liked in the last episode was when Nikki and Mallory were scrolling through RedditIntelligencia that the last visible post was basically some guy saying "The Hulk could totally beat her up. And should. I don't even know what I'd do if I saw them fighting for real lol. I could probably beat her up myself, she's not even super strong". Like, super strength is what defines a Hulk even in the MCU and was on evidence even in her brief tussle with Titania in court, but both the Wrecking Crew and some random keyboard warrior think they could beat the She-Hulk up because "pssh...women can't actually be strong!". Which echoes sentiments I've seen online several times in the past about random guys thinking they could take professional athletes like MMA fighters or wrestlers because they're women.

This episode is more of the same even outside that though. Jen wanted to go to a wedding and show off for once, as Jen and as She-Hulk and go "look at me; my life is actually going pretty good", but everyone wanted to quash that. The bride obviously wanted to stop She-Hulk from overshadowing her, but she even pushed normal Jen out of the way on several occasions. Which all the other bridesmaids appeared happy to go along with. Not douchebag men, but women who've been taught that life is competition and they have to squash anything threatening them, basically.

Which Titania is the ultimate symbol of in the show. Titania has been grafting for years now to get some slice of fame and a good life, but rather than celebrating someone else doing well she wants to punish Jen for doing so without working for it as far as Titania can see. She got super powers for free, and that's all Titania knows or cares about. The lawyer part of Jen's life means nothing to her. Jen got powers by chance, and then free press despite not looking for it and now everyone loves her even when she doesn't want that fame. She has everything Titania wanted, and rather than celebrate that or be friends, Titania is jealous.

I don't know how to end this as such, especially since I'm very much aware I'm now mansplaining a show primarily about women's issues so someone else is surely better placed to do so, but I find it a fascinating look over the fence to another segment of life that I'll never really know. Like, I cannot imagine being scared to walk home at night, with or without headphones, but I can also totally imagine why a woman would be. I'd never even think twice about doing it, and have done so probably thousands of times in the past, but if not for a quirk of birth I wouldn't feel safe doing even something so simple and small and the show highlighting that, and all the issues surrounding it is cool to me even if I didn't think it was funny and have a pre-existing love for the central character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXPC2HXjrYU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

gently caress off with this

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Cythereal posted:

Sitcoms and legal dramas just aren't my cup of tea, alas. I enjoy the show ripping incel types to shreds and there's been a few funny gags, but the meat of the show just isn't for me.

All the same, I'm glad the show exists.

Stay mad, incels.

https://twitter.com/SheHulk/status/1572935098722394112?t=GooblwbEob2EfNobgEw7lw&s=19

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:five:

Dead on Arrival
Nov 4, 2008
What a perfect picture for the message presented. Somewhere out there Ben Shapiro creates a new folder...

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

amazing

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

FYI that is a post from a fan account which appears to have gotten the username @shehulk, the verified one is @shehulkofficial

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Super Deuce posted:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

FYI that is a post from a fan account which appears to have gotten the username @shehulk, the verified one is @shehulkofficial

Ohhh that makes way more sense, I wondered why they re-used a meme that someone else made & posted a couple days ago without crediting or apparently asking them.

https://twitter.com/wpposters/status/1572331005964419074

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Lmao goddamn

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Do I have a weird face blindness thing or does She Hulk not look a lot like Tatiana Mosley? To me it’s super clear that Smart Hulk is Mark Ruffalo and Thanks is Josh Brolin is clear but something about She Hulk I just don’t see the actress in the face. Maybe it’s because Tatiana is so expressive in general? (Her ability to independently control her eyes is impressive)

Not that they are under any obligation to make She Hulk look like the actor but I’m wondering if it’s just me and the resemblance is super clear to others.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The key features are there but the hairstyle makes a huge difference imo

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Tom Tucker posted:

Do I have a weird face blindness thing or does She Hulk not look a lot like Tatiana Mosley? To me it’s super clear that Smart Hulk is Mark Ruffalo and Thanks is Josh Brolin is clear but something about She Hulk I just don’t see the actress in the face. Maybe it’s because Tatiana is so expressive in general? (Her ability to independently control her eyes is impressive)

Not that they are under any obligation to make She Hulk look like the actor but I’m wondering if it’s just me and the resemblance is super clear to others.

It is her face but the issue is that the She-Hulk model is not always as expressive as Maslany's performance, so the ressemblance gets diluted. Another part of it is that both Hulk and Thanos have exaggerated features
while She-Hulk has regular features. It might be more work to get detailed expressions out of her (matching a comedy performance) than from Hulk and Thanos.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Tom Tucker posted:

A lot of is that She-Hulk is over a foot taller, quite a bit bigger in terms of weight/body, has green skin and different hair. Plus She-Hulk is CGI. And CGI departments are incredibly overworked.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

That makes a lot of sense! I also imagine the show has less budget to do the full frame by painful frame motion capture but because of the run time has probably 10x the number of frames to animate.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also there's only so much that Marvel's VFX people can do when they're working on 3 hours of sleep and the threat of thumbscrews being applied to their firstborn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

It's the hair