Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know anything on this site? I've had it pop up in my Google News feed pretty regularly. This article has me wondering how large an impact pre-approvals are having.

https://betterdwelling.com/canadian-real-estate-fueled-by-pre-approvals-enormous-shock-coming-bmo/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Better Dwelling is co-founded by Stephen Punwasi who is crypto nutjob and a massive housing bear, but obsessively to the point of being delusional. I probably wouldn't trust most of the stuff being published there.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

lol, yeah they pop up for me all the time too.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Every article I've seen from there is wildly inaccurate sensationalist crap ripped straight from housing bear twitter. They don't just assert the housing market is going to collapse, they assert that it's going to collapse like Next Month, and they've been doing this for years now so it's super hard to take seriously.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Misread this as "Mei and Hammond" and thought it was an Overwatch 2 tie-in.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

qhat posted:

Every article I've seen from there is wildly inaccurate sensationalist crap ripped straight from housing bear twitter. They don't just assert the housing market is going to collapse, they assert that it's going to collapse like Next Month, and they've been doing this for years now so it's super hard to take seriously.

Canadian housing has been obviously overvalued for years now (just check the age of this thread), too. The fact that stupidly easy credit is finally drying up for the first time in a decade and a half seems to be forcing prices back into a reality where buyers' income and assets actually matter.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Star also had a somehow boring clickbait article about a couple who bought a home without an inspection and then discovered that it had problems, most of which they've fixed after spending $25k (that they didn't budget for and had trouble affording). I don't know what the point of it was, although I suppose I was suckered into clicking it so mission accomplished. I was just hoping the buyers would get soaked for more because $25k doesn't really sound like much for a nightmare reno.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

tagesschau posted:

Canadian housing has been obviously overvalued for years now (just check the age of this thread), too. The fact that stupidly easy credit is finally drying up for the first time in a decade and a half seems to be forcing prices back into a reality where buyers' income and assets actually matter.

This is true. But it also doesn’t make Stephen Punwasi less of a moron.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Xaranthius posted:

Does anyone know anything on this site? I've had it pop up in my Google News feed pretty regularly. This article has me wondering how large an impact pre-approvals are having.

https://betterdwelling.com/canadian-real-estate-fueled-by-pre-approvals-enormous-shock-coming-bmo/

On canadahousing subreddit which is pretty bearish, all better dwelling articles get a top voted comment on the source being untrustworthy. They feel good to read but they are skewed.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
I read them because they usually have links to banks talking about forecasts.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Our household incomes are similar but our mortgage is $1950 and fixed.
These goddamn morons.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

qhat posted:

Better Dwelling is co-founded by Stephen Punwasi who is crypto nutjob and a massive housing bear, but obsessively to the point of being delusional. I probably wouldn't trust most of the stuff being published there.

He's quieted his crypto bullshit since he's pivoted to running for Toronto mayor (and probably seeing the backlash PP got for his stupid poo poo). He's an interesting person for sure. Some of his housing takes are in fact, good though.

He's not quite Steve Saretsky bad - I'll give him that.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ontario's 23-year-old 'Crypto King' goes bankrupt, loses $35 million of investor's money.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

quote:

some of those investors borrowed their investment funds from a line of credit.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Even better lol

quote:

The terms of Moore's investment included a 70-30 split on any capital gains (with 70 per cent for her and 30 per cent for Pleterski), a commitment the initial investment would be paid back in full if it was lost, and target capital gains of 10 to 20 per cent biweekly, according to her investment contract.

Entirely deserved imo.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Slotducks posted:

No, he’s much worse. He’s an anti Ukraine turd and is pretty vocal about it too, all the typical Russian neo-nazi propaganda talking points etc. I’m telling you all these Twitter housing bears have absolutely awful opinions about one thing or another, whether it’s Chinese people, trans, Ukrainians, etc. Sometimes they sound reasonable and you check their likes on Twitter and yep there they are liking one of JK Rowling’s posts or talking poo poo on vaccines, or whatever.

qhat fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 20, 2022

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I mean, yeah it was a bunch of people hoping to get rich quick but it also speaks to the lack of financial literacy for many people.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Slotducks posted:

He's quieted his crypto bullshit since he's pivoted to running for Toronto mayor (and probably seeing the backlash PP got for his stupid poo poo). He's an interesting person for sure. Some of his housing takes are in fact, good though.

I'm kind of amazed that given his crazy housing bear persona on twitter, his housing platform is extremely mild, handwavy vague, and pretty much repeating various fiddling around the edges type ideas that have already been suggested before.

https://stephenpunwasi.com/campaign/platform/housing/

His platform pretty much feels like a bunch of status quo incrementalism.

* standardized plans for homes
* city of toronto housing corporation leveraging city owned land
* lower housing charges
* ~collect data~
* improve ~quality~ of housing (bigger floorplans?)

this is so handwavy. Um Let's not Do Housing Bad, Let's Do Housing Good.

quote:

We have a plan to encourage more adequate housing through various incentives. We’re going to leverage our City-owned housing and development charge plans to encourage adequacy. We’re going to build city where you’ll want to go to school, raise a family, and retire in. We all deserve better.

Lower developer fees + increase permit turnaround is bog standard right wing stuff. Wouldn't do anything to make housing more affordable.

Enforcing developers to do bigger floor plans would only increase the price of housing.

"Leverage city owned land" is more of a classic left thing but hindered by the fact that if you add it all up the amount of land is smaller than you think, and if you want to buy more, ok where's the money coming from? Looks like Punwasi has the more Liberal position of being ok with the product being market priced, which can then be leveraged to buy more land. That makes the idea a bit more sustainable and viable.

His website does look good he's got that going for him and he's clearly figured out the politician skill of writing a bunch of nothing remarkable ideas in a way that makes it sound like these are real solutions.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Ontario strong

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I like his defense of "the investors were dumb, what did they expect"

quote:

"Shockingly, it seems that nobody bothered to consider what would happen if the cryptocurrency market plummeted or whether Aiden, as a very young man, was qualified to handle these types of investments," wrote Simaan.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Ontario really do have the best people

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also me.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I started looking into the Vancouver municipal elections, and the majority (including the front-runners ) are talking affordable housing in one way or another. Other than the Greens (whose platform website doesn't work), the only real exceptions are rump parties -- NPA, Vision and TEAM.

ABC Vancouver:
(Ken Sim, the leading right-leaning mayoral candidate's party)
https://abcvancouver.ca/vision/
"Address the housing crisis - triple the number of housing starts and streamline permitting"

Typical right-wing pablum and pretty hand-wavey, but probably not the worst thing? Also lol that they're all "rah rah give more money to the cops" when, crime is at an all-time low.

Forward Vancouver:
(Kennedy Stewart, the leading left-leaning mayoral candidate's party; they don't actually list a platform, but do list some quite real accomplishments)
https://www.forwardvancouver.ca/housing_affordability
-Tripled the empty homes tax to move over 5,000 empty homes into the local rental market.
-Securing half-a-billion dollars from the federal and provincial governments to house working families and people without homes.
-Taking action to protect renters from renovictions.
-Fast-tracking the creation of affordable rental homes.
-Introducing the Making HOME program to encourage middle-class homeownership.

COPE:
https://www.copevancouver.ca/jean_swanson
Lots of focus on housing and supporting the homeless, plus mansion taxes. Proposing to build social housing on city land. A bit of "Let’s make sure we get affordability in new rental housing" which has historically translated to blocking much-needed apartment buildings.

OneCity:
(The only party with a platform that actually provides detail).
https://www.onecityvancouver.ca/the_homes_we_need
https://www.onecityvancouver.ca/community_power
https://www.onecityvancouver.ca/whole_communities

- Build social housing by transforming the VAHA into an actual developer rather than just a permitter.
- Change rules to encourage more 2BR and 3BR family-sized units.
- Land Value Tax
- End zoning restrictions on apartments
- Streamline permitting but only for social housing
- Tenant advocacy office to actively assist tenants against their landlords
- Preserve cultural neighbourhoods
- Legalize six floors and corner store city-wide
- Fund community building activities for apartment buildings
- Build social housing in nice neighbourhoods, not just the dregs
- Build social housing on School Board properties
- Continue and expand indigenous reconciliation development projects like Jericho and Sen̓áḵw
- Build new housing in communities that are declining in population, so existing schools and other services are better used

Progress Vancouver:
https://www.progressvancouver.ca/vision
Self-proclaimed YIMBY's; pretty similar to OneCity except they have some right-wing roots
- Reduce urban sprawl
- "free the permitting process from micromanagement"
- "we must reform outdated exclusionary zoning"
- public transit, biking, etc

Kinda excited really.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gonna start a Vancouver municipal party called SEETHE and ally with COPE so we can form the COPE and SEETHE alliance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I didn’t even know that my phone could display that.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Subjunctive posted:

I didn’t even know that my phone could display that.

𒄖𒁺𒂊 𒂉 𒂉𒂊 𒅗𒂵 𒅗 𒋛𒀀𒂵 𒀭𒋫𒀊𒉐, you know?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m living in the future.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
Canada is truly the land of opportunities

Even children can get rich when they work hard enough and persevere enough to defraud investors

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/NMBCanada/status/1572344728615518209?s=20&t=MdkllehH88Fbrgm68-ovHg

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mr. Apollo posted:

I like his defense of "the investors were dumb, what did they expect"

I think it's a fair defense if the moron yute didn't make any prohibited representations of himself or his qualifications.

I see this poo poo all the time: the blind leading the blind when it comes to investments. I don't think it's fraud, and I don't think that if you choose to listen to an idiot and do what the idiot says, you're owed recompense when it doesn't work out.

I think the guarantee of returns might border on fraud, but it's so patently ridiculous that in the absence of an attempt to defraud, such as a Ponzi scheme, I can't say it's criminal or even civilly negligent.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

I see this poo poo all the time: the blind leading the blind when it comes to investments.

I'm curious, what is the PT6A approved investment strategy?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Postess with the Mostest posted:

giving money to PT6A

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Index funds, mutual funds, or similar. Don't try to time the markets, invest for the long term.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
https://twitter.com/RE_MarketWatch/status/1573265443707559937

Underpricing by almost 50% and then being amazed at all the offers rolling in and this is news? Are you making GBS threads me?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Cold on a Cob posted:

Underpricing by almost 50% and then being amazed at all the offers rolling in and this is news? Are you making GBS threads me?

That list price won't look so absurd once the mortgage preapprovals under 5% run out.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Price it at $1 you cowards.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cold on a Cob posted:

https://twitter.com/RE_MarketWatch/status/1573265443707559937

They're desperate to make it seem like the good old days are back.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

tagesschau posted:

Holy poo poo this has been around since 2013?! God.

Personal real estate comedy: I bought a condo in Edmonton for 20K over asking (270 total) in 2006. On the advice of a family friend/realtor, who is now no longer either. I bought a house in 2011 (for 65K under asking!), with the intent to sell the condo. Attempts to sell the condo for a non-loss situation in 2011 and 2015 were unsuccessful, timed as the last one was with the oil crash.

I'm currently renting the condo out to a grad student who's been living there since her first year of university and would frankly feel terrible about selling it from under her; I'm renting for below market rate but it covers the cost of the mortgage and the condo fees so meh. I haven't really looked at the condo market since 2015.

I still could probably not sell the condo for what I paid in 2006, despite the insane run up in prices - my house is probably "worth" twice what I paid a decade ago - and at this point I probably will just hang on to the condo so my kids can live there if they go to university in Edmonton.

The moral, of course, is never hire a family friend as a realtor, especially if you're 26 and an idiot.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Albino Squirrel posted:

I still could probably not sell the condo for what I paid

Albino Squirrel posted:

I probably will just hang on to the condo

realestate.xlsx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights