Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The EGS stuff is whatever anymore, especially for early access. But man do I not want to give Brad Wardell another dime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS!

Told all my friends about this, had a pickup game vs computers with one that ended in a network error. Oh well, was fun. Underrated game. Sucks its' gonna be on Epic but...

SINS! SINS! SINS!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Anno posted:

The EGS stuff is whatever anymore, especially for early access. But man do I not want to give Brad Wardell another dime.

:same:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

On the one hand, Sins 2. On the other hand Brad Wardell. I suppose I'll split the difference and follow my disfavored AAA publisher guideline and only buy for a ridiculous discount several years down the line.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Alkydere posted:

SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS! SINS!

Told all my friends about this, had a pickup game vs computers with one that ended in a network error. Oh well, was fun. Underrated game. Sucks its' gonna be on Epic but...

SINS! SINS! SINS!

Looks like it'll be Epic exclusive just for the 1 year early access period and will release on Steam for the full release at the end of next year.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
https://store.steampowered.com/app/437440/Lord_of_Rigel/

Lord of RIgel's demo has dropped after nearly eight years of development hell (three of which after going Thanos on it and redoing it ourselves in UE4).

So hopefully some goons will enjoy it. No promises on the AI actually being great but the utility AI is at least internally consistent with its goals :-)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Atarask posted:

Lord of RIgel's demo has dropped after nearly eight years of development hell (three of which after going Thanos on it and redoing it ourselves in UE4).

So hopefully some goons will enjoy it. No promises on the AI actually being great but the utility AI is at least internally consistent with its goals :-)

Nice, congrats!

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Atarask posted:

Gonna try it this weekend and give some thoughts!

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
We'll be doing weekly bugfix builds, because if there's any way to find out there's bugs in a strategy game it's releasing it to the wild :-)

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Atarask posted:

I very vaguely remember you talking about this ages ago, must have been in a prior thread. Not to be rude but what's supposed to distinguish this game? I'm listening to and intermittently looking at the dev stream that's happening on Steam and it really looks like MoO (or specifically it looks like Remnants of the Precursors, since it has modern UI and graphics). The dev was just in the ship designer screen and it seems to be next to identical.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Kylaer posted:

I very vaguely remember you talking about this ages ago, must have been in a prior thread. Not to be rude but what's supposed to distinguish this game? I'm listening to and intermittently looking at the dev stream that's happening on Steam and it really looks like MoO (or specifically it looks like Remnants of the Precursors, since it has modern UI and graphics). The dev was just in the ship designer screen and it seems to be next to identical.

When we started work originally the current glut of games didn't exist. But the unique features are the grand menaces and existence of the elder races in the game with a cold war and doomsday clock. Those will be unlocked during Early Access towards the end of the year.

Trying to figure out a non-mop up stage end game was a major goal of ours. The galactic threat super monsters alone we knew early on weren't going to be enough (Stellaris' end game threats confirmed that for us).

So yes the idea was MOO2.5 with some nice graphics, some more automation (autobuild, colony focus instead of sliders) to avoid micromanagement and a focus on the end game.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Nice, I just wishlisted it for when I'm not at work

I saw it on iceberg interactive discord, I've really enjoyed the circle empire games.

Never played moo so that sounds pretty cool, I enjoy distant worlds 2 more than I ever liked Stellaris.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Atarask posted:

When we started work originally the current glut of games didn't exist. But the unique features are the grand menaces and existence of the elder races in the game with a cold war and doomsday clock. Those will be unlocked during Early Access towards the end of the year.

Trying to figure out a non-mop up stage end game was a major goal of ours. The galactic threat super monsters alone we knew early on weren't going to be enough (Stellaris' end game threats confirmed that for us).

So yes the idea was MOO2.5 with some nice graphics, some more automation (autobuild, colony focus instead of sliders) to avoid micromanagement and a focus on the end game.

Ahh, thank you for explaining. The idea of playing a minor race that has to skirt around the big AIs until you become powerful enough to challenge them(? I would assume) does sound like an interesting twist. I'll most likely give it a shot.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer

Kylaer posted:

Ahh, thank you for explaining. The idea of playing a minor race that has to skirt around the big AIs until you become powerful enough to challenge them(? I would assume) does sound like an interesting twist. I'll most likely give it a shot.

Right now EA1 and the demo are a bog standard MOO like experience but yes the idea is basically you can play as a standard 4x but if you do too many things like planet killers, bioweapons, etc. you'll raise the doomsday clock and the giants will wake up and start kicking everyone in final war (which no one will win).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of Distant Worlds 2: what’s the current state of the game? Is it good and fun and stable?

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Atarask posted:

Sounds really cool, threw it on the wishlist.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of Distant Worlds 2: what’s the current state of the game? Is it good and fun and stable?
It quit crashing for certain users, (including me) after about 6 patches from release. Patches have been coming weekly and a lot of time was spent on stability and performance.

Some of the patches fixed some weird stuff that was happening with ai behaviour, resources and other game systems that seemed to act weird sometimes.

It's fun and playable, more to come, they still plan on including the factions from the original distant worlds.

The fun for me was ruining several playthroughs with various levels of automation, even going full auto when I really put myself in a pickle until I relearned the systems well enough to go almost entirely manual and out perform the AI.

There is a lot to learn and some of the stuff like ship engagement rules could be better worded, but you can really get granular if you know what you are doing.
Example: a fleet can be set to damage an enemy to a point where you can capture enemy ships for tech or for your empire to use, or be more set to micro down individuals faster to get a numerical advantage.

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021
Not sure if it's the best place to talk about this but it's the only place I've found.

There is a remake of Solium Infernum!!!!!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1893810/Solium_Infernum/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DaysBefore posted:

Oh hell yeah, this rules

it is the raddest name of any video gam ever

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Loddfafnir posted:

Not sure if it's the best place to talk about this but it's the only place I've found.

Aww Hell yesss. :tif: :unsmigghh:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
It's a different studio that bought the ip off the dude but I'm still interested

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

Benagain posted:

It's a different studio that bought the ip off the dude but I'm still interested

Yes, a remake by the Armello devs.

The spiritual core seems intact according to the steam page, and they are big fan of the original.

I'm cautiously optimistic!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Loddfafnir posted:

I’ve never heard of this game. What kind of game was it?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

chaosapiant posted:

You play as an Archfiend (some sort of hell demon) in Hell, where the big bad himself has left the building for unknown reasons. Then the remaining demons gather forces, souls and other such resources, plot, conspire, cheat, betray and backstab to become the new head of Hell. Really cool concept, the original was something of a cult classic.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Part of SI's deal was to dodge the perma-total war that most MP 4X turn into. Most of your conflicts were limited to ritualized combats called Vendettas. After a diplomatic provocation, one side would would declare Vendetta and wager that they can kill X many units, or capture Y many tiles in Z many turns. Winner gets the Prestige stake and bonus depending on how well the conditions were fulfilled. Noone can take each others capital and Peace automatically kicks in after the time limit if neither side fulfills objectives.

Hell is extremely polite like that. Damaging internal conflict must be limited as all are united in rebellion against the Tyrant of Heaven, after all.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

chaosapiant posted:

one of the more interesting twists was that since this is hell, there were no map borders. the map simply wrapped in every direction which meant that you were always surrounded and there were no safe directions. plus there was amazing card art and unit descriptions, I gotta find if there was an album of those because they are absolutely worth checking out on their own.

one of the big things holding the original back was that the main guy was a fantastic game dev but an utterly poo poo (self admitted) coder the only multiplayer was pbem.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

cant wait to play as this dude

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

Actual Play:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/solium-infernum-the-complete-battle-for-hell

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

chaosapiant posted:

In addition to the other posts: If you play boardgames, it was a diplomacy oriented "4X" with a strong Dune/Game of Thrones vibe.

During your avatar creation, you could for instance use 2/3 of your points to take this perk.

quote:

King Maker
Some were born courtiers, some were born kings. At the beginning of the game you chose an opponent. If that opponent wins the game by Prestige, you win instead.

And then the mindgames begin: this opponent seems weak / helps me too often. Did they take King Maker (or the other similar perk)?

You could cast global spells and try to frame others for the act.

And there was the magnificent bureaucratic diplomacy system. You couldn't directly attack anyone. You had to insult them (you win prestige, they lose prestige vs no prestige change but they must claim a vendetta) or make demands (which is a polite term for racket, and if they refuse you can claim a vendetta on them the next turn)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Loddfafnir posted:

In addition to the other posts: If you play boardgames, it was a diplomacy oriented "4X" with a strong Dune/Game of Thrones vibe.

During your avatar creation, you could for instance use 2/3 of your points to take this perk.

And then the mindgames begin: this opponent seems weak / helps me too often. Did they take King Maker (or the other similar perk)?

You could cast global spells and try to frame others for the act.

And there was the magnificent bureaucratic diplomacy system. You couldn't directly attack anyone. You had to insult them (you win prestige, they lose prestige vs no prestige change but they must claim a vendetta) or make demands (which is a polite term for racket, and if they refuse you can claim a vendetta on them the next turn)

The vibes in the trailer and this post make it sound amazing. Presumably there are other win conditions, otherwise it sounds like if someone picks you for King Maker you just can't win (can you take them out of the game first?).

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

distortion park posted:

The vibes in the trailer and this post make it sound amazing. Presumably there are other win conditions, otherwise it sounds like if someone picks you for King Maker you just can't win (can you take them out of the game first?).

I took the example of Kingmaker because it's the most easily understandable perk of this type.

You could win by:

prestige (~points)

holding the pandemonium (ie the capital, a specific place on the map) for 5 turns, with the whole map being able to attack you without repercussion, and the world attacking you too

destroying the stronghold of your opponents. But you can't attack it during a normal vendetta, so you needed to win like three vendettas against the same opponent (which was a long process due to the sending of messenger, attaining the increasing goal of each consecutive vendettas, period of enforced peace and so on) before declaring a blood feud and being able to finally attack the stronghold. Times the number of opponent you had.

---

You could only make a very limited number of orders each turn, meaning each choice had a lot of weight.
I have very fond memories of Solium Infernum!

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 23, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
SI was an intriguing digital board game and I'm really interested to see what it looks like freed from the shackles of Adobe Director.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Speaking of Dune, I've been enjoying the House Corrino update for Spice Wars. I played it on release then gave it a rest for a few months, and in that time it feels like a lot has been tweaked for the better.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Senethro posted:

Part of SI's deal was to dodge the perma-total war that most MP 4X turn into. Most of your conflicts were limited to ritualized combats called Vendettas. After a diplomatic provocation, one side would would declare Vendetta and wager that they can kill X many units, or capture Y many tiles in Z many turns. Winner gets the Prestige stake and bonus depending on how well the conditions were fulfilled. Noone can take each others capital and Peace automatically kicks in after the time limit if neither side fulfills objectives.

Hell is extremely polite like that. Damaging internal conflict must be limited as all are united in rebellion against the Tyrant of Heaven, after all.

Yeah what made SI great was that it was designed to be a multiplayer game from the ground up, not something tacked on as an afterthought like other 4Xs.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Loddfafnir posted:

Whoah. Been following that since Dubious Quality days.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Supreme Ruler 2030 got announced and it might be here this year, even. New engine will allow more units and regions. Yea, these games are absolute jank but I love ‘em.

Edit: was meant for the grog thread but hell, works here too

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 24, 2022

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mokotow posted:

Supreme Ruler 2030 got announced and it might be here this year, even. New engine will allow more units and regions. Yea, these games are absolute jank but I love ‘em.

Edit: was meant for the grog thread but hell, works here too

"new" engine - looks just as dogshit as the old one.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Dreamsicle posted:

Sorry if this isn't the right topic. Master of Magic is currently on my backlog. When I do get around to playing it, should I play with Caster of Magic or is a patched version of the original better?

A few pages back but definitely play the original. There's a community fix that's included in the gog version that fixes a lot of things that were broken or missing in the original. It's really fun and I still have it installed on my laptop to go through a game with one of the premade wizards.
Caster of Magic is a heavily modded version of Master of Magic that is balls hard and caters to people who find Master of Magic too easy. I don't recommend playing it at all until you understand Master of Magic inside and out. If you want an idea of how much planning and micromanagement is involved just to meet toe-to-toe with the A.I. players and monster lairs, you can watch Hadriex's youtube channel where he usually struggles against average and above-average level AI opponents.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

SlightlyMad posted:

You play as an Archfiend (some sort of hell demon) in Hell, where the big bad himself has left the building for unknown reasons. Then the remaining demons gather forces, souls and other such resources, plot, conspire, cheat, betray and backstab to become the new head of Hell. Really cool concept, the original was something of a cult classic.

I feel like somehow you could add to this "And then you invade the world of Dominions".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Joe Chill posted:

Yeah what made SI great was that it was designed to be a multiplayer game from the ground up, not something tacked on as an afterthought like other 4Xs.

Yeah, its mechanics do a very good job of cutting loose from the pretense that an AI could be made to use them effectively and it makes a much better game for it.