Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Steve Yun posted:

Deep fried eggplant is the best eggplant will ever be. I hate all other preparations of it. Squeaky, spongy, soggy, flavorless.

This is a terrible take. I mean fried eggplant is great, and a precursor to eggplant parm, but baba ganoush? Garlic eggplant? Fish fragrant eggplant? Miso roasted eggplant? Those are foods I could live off of. If your eggplant is coming out spongy and flavorless then someone has hosed up, because eggplant is loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

Deep fried eggplant is the best eggplant will ever be. I hate all other preparations of it. Squeaky, spongy, soggy, flavorless.

need more details. do you have a sauce for it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No sauce, just salted after frying to make sure it stayed firm

Flour, eggs, then a mix of flour and panko

Fried at 350 until brown

Skin doesn’t hold dredge well so if you fry put the pieces in skin side up first so they can harden before you flip it

Development
Jun 2, 2016

bergs tonight. snake river farms wagyu ground beef.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Development posted:

bergs tonight. snake river farms wagyu ground beef.

v nice

mystes
May 31, 2006

Isn't ground wagyu kind of pointless?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mystes posted:

Isn't ground wagyu kind of pointless?

nah it's pretty good. way better than steaks although thin cut for shabu shabu is my favorite.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

it's also not the same thing as super high-end actual japanese wagyu that you see go for hilarious prices; they interbred japanese and american stock to get something new (and tasty)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
there's a burger place in tokyo that does burgers with japanese wagyu and it's p good. i've never tried it at home because i like smashburgers.

https://tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1303/A130302/13096437/

mystes
May 31, 2006

But the whole point of wagyu is supposed to be the marbling and when you grind meat you can just add fatty parts to adjust the fat content so it doesn't matter how much fat is marbled in the meat?

Edit: I guess some people say there are other differences though

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 18, 2022

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Gumbo last night—shrimp, andouille, and okra.

I sprinkled a little curry powder in too, I love it.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Rooting through the refrigerator, turned out pretty good.

Orzo could have gone a few more minutes though.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 19, 2022

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stuffed peppers, though I took this before cooking and forgot to take one after they were done.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Too hungry for a nice photo, but after I tasted it I wanted to share

This was incredible - a top 5 dish for me. Is there a name for a sauce of mirin + gochujang + black vinegar? It seems related to bibimbap sauce but no toasted sesame oil.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Too hungry for a nice photo, but after I tasted it I wanted to share

This was incredible - a top 5 dish for me. Is there a name for a sauce of mirin + gochujang + black vinegar? It seems related to bibimbap sauce but no toasted sesame oil.

Is it fried tofu and green beans + sauce? Sounds good, loving me a spicy, tangy, sweet stir fry sauce.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hell yeah it is

I'm getting better at wok cooking, the recipe says all veggies at once but I had a better time doing batches and tossing to flash off the steam :)

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Sous vide hanger steak with Italian salsa verde on top of white beans cooked with garlic, Calabrian chiles, broth and vinegar with some thin red onions on top.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Filet steak with Café de Paris butter, not pictured, a salad of spinach, celery, walnuts and blue cheese.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

Hell yeah it is

I'm getting better at wok cooking, the recipe says all veggies at once but I had a better time doing batches and tossing to flash off the steam :)

Thanks for posting the recipe. I eat a lot of tofu eating out but to my shame I have never really cooked with it. The frying step kinda turns me off. Doing it all in one pan seems less of a bother.

Good excuse for finally getting a wok as well perhaps.

Torquemada posted:

Filet steak with Café de Paris butter, not pictured, a salad of spinach, celery, walnuts and blue cheese.

Healthy amount of butter, looks very good. Classic combo with the salad, but where are the potatoes?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Random Hero posted:

Sous vide hanger steak with Italian salsa verde on top of white beans cooked with garlic, Calabrian chiles, broth and vinegar with some thin red onions on top.

Sounds dope!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Vegetarian today, lentil soup with fried bread

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Chicken, bak choy, pepper stir fry over rice noodles tonight.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do you get decent bamboo shoots in the US help

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Arglebargle III posted:

How do you get decent bamboo shoots in the US help

Your local Asian supermarket can probably hook you up.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Made a miso salmon bowl for dinner last night. Salad and thicc toast for hangover lunch today.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Oneiros posted:

it's also not the same thing as super high-end actual japanese wagyu that you see go for hilarious prices; they interbred japanese and american stock to get something new (and tasty)

SRF again last night. to be honest, SRF wagyu short rib is very overkill and I would be fine just with regular prime rated short rib.

cross section of the short rib after we separated individual bones.

cook: sous vide 48 hours @ 62.5C

cross section after searing

sliced into small pieces. it's way too rich otherwise.

plated. sauce was the sous vide juices cooked down a bit. crispy bits were fried beef fat trimmings.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Goddamn

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

That looks great.

Your commentary reminds me of an article I read once and can’t find again: a food site set out to review the premium steak options available. All told it was 7 or so steaks up for review, from US wagyu to imported Japanese beef.

There was originally going to be a video to accompany the article, but scrapped it on review because the reviewers started struggling halfway through the tasting. They didn’t think viewers would enjoy watching people look miserable while eating snow beef that cost hundreds to import from Japan.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Reminding me of a dish of bottarga and lardo I ordered in Sardinia, which was exquisite for about four mouthfuls but exhausting thereafter.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Democratic Pirate posted:

That looks great.

Your commentary reminds me of an article I read once and can’t find again: a food site set out to review the premium steak options available. All told it was 7 or so steaks up for review, from US wagyu to imported Japanese beef.

There was originally going to be a video to accompany the article, but scrapped it on review because the reviewers started struggling halfway through the tasting. They didn’t think viewers would enjoy watching people look miserable while eating snow beef that cost hundreds to import from Japan.

for sure, high end japanese imported wagyu is best served in small slices or small chunks. here's a few different preparations/amounts I have tried:

at manresa (los gatos): a single small chunk

at ranzan (redwood city): 3 small chunks - this was the perfect amount

at ancora (san francisco): 6 small chunks - too much. I had trouble eating this (masami cattle ranch, american wagyu)

one thing I cannot do is wagyu served as nigiri sushi. the flavor profile and strength of the wagyu really takes away from being able to taste the sushi rice.

at ju-ni (san francisco): wagyu nigiri. meh.

at akiko's (san francisco): wagyu with truffle on top. meh.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
as someone who has never had it - why is it such a struggle?

is it like having too much buttercream frosting is just sickeningly rich? i've never considering that eating too much good steak would be a chore

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s not really ‘good steak’, it’s its own thing. It’s like the difference between foie gras and beef liver, or lardo and bacon.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

kumba posted:

as someone who has never had it - why is it such a struggle?

is it like having too much buttercream frosting is just sickeningly rich? i've never considering that eating too much good steak would be a chore

It’s super rich. I had Miyazaki A5 and it’s kind of like eating steak flavored butter. It coats your mouth in fat like eating toro.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Torquemada posted:

It’s not really ‘good steak’, it’s its own thing. It’s like the difference between foie gras and beef liver, or lardo and bacon.

Chemmy posted:

It’s super rich. I had Miyazaki A5 and it’s kind of like eating steak flavored butter. It coats your mouth in fat like eating toro.

never would have considered that but totally makes sense

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I've only had A5 wagyu twice in my life: once with very small, thinly sliced portions, and once an entire ribeye.

They were both fantastic experiences but boy howdy did I regret tackling the whole steak later on, the richness definitely messed with my stomach.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I've only had A5 wagyu twice in my life: once with very small, thinly sliced portions, and once an entire ribeye.

They were both fantastic experiences but boy howdy did I regret tackling the whole steak later on, the richness definitely messed with my stomach.

sometimes you wag the steak, sometimes the steak wagyu.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

LifeSunDeath posted:

This would be a fantastic thread title.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lmao nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Acorn squash soup. Color and volume was a bit lacking so I also added a cup of orange sweet potato