Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
Participating in an insurrection and it’s not even close

Stolen valor happens all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Naramyth posted:

Participating in an insurrection and it’s not even close

Stolen valor happens all the time

One makes you an rear end in a top hat, the other is a hanging offence.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The most likable troop I know irl thinks stolen valor is hilarious because "who would want to pretend to be in the military". Well, we found him

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Milo and POTUS posted:

The most likable troop I know irl thinks stolen valor is hilarious because "who would want to pretend to be in the military". Well, we found him

This dude loving gets it

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Milo and POTUS posted:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Everything about this photo is so great, but the best part of all is that chain of command photo board hanging out in the background.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Iirc, that guy was wrangled up at his stepkid's graduation from boot camp.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Iirc, that guy was wrangled up at his stepkid's graduation from boot camp.

:pusheen:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

every time I see this I can't decide if the best part is the anarctica ribbon, the somalia ribbon, or the BMT Honor Grad ribbon

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
The "V" device on a long service ribbon.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That picture really was a gift to the world. I want to shake the hand of the drill sergeant that took it.

Scraping the back of my brain pan hard to remember more than his stepkid was in army boot, I think at Jackson. Can't remember clearly but that dude may have washed out of AF basic. This was sometime before 2010, iirc, or close to it. Can't remember if he was featured in a drunk/civ thread or a milpic thread, but we definitely covered this guy over a decade ago.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrath posted:

One makes you an rear end in a top hat, the other is a hanging offence.

New thread title

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1573048984700178436

Which is the bigger offense? Having been in DC on January 6th or lying about how long he was In and what he did while In?

Porky POG here just lost his RNC funding and support.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Rakekniven posted:

Porky POG here just lost his RNC funding and support.

How does someone get above the local level in politics without anyone making sure that there isn’t low hanging fruit for opponents to rip them apart for?

Like this seems like politics 101 level poo poo where someone throws a poly sci intern at googling some poo poo about the opposing party candidate.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hekk posted:

How does someone get above the local level in politics without anyone making sure that there isn’t low hanging fruit for opponents to rip them apart for?

Like this seems like politics 101 level poo poo where someone throws a poly sci intern at googling some poo poo about the opposing party candidate.

Republicans.txt

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Hekk posted:

He didn't go through the local level, this appears to be his first election. From his biography, he's a project manager for an energy company right now.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Apparently lying about your trooping is the red line because not much else seems to be as long as you'll own the libs

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

He didn't go through the local level, this appears to be his first election. From his biography, he's a project manager for an energy company right now.

Probably a coworker with Borbert’s husband.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Americans, by and large, assume everyone in the military is a trained killer on some level. You don’t have to lie about what you did in the forever wars, the public just assumes you were vital to our “win.”

Lying about the military is gilding the lily for a politician. Look how unremarkable Pete Butt’s career was- he didn’t try to pretend to be a SEAL and reaped SOME benefit politically from his service. Can’t say I’m a fan of him, or his service or the reasons therein- but dude didn’t Steal Valor at least.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Its all so terrible.

Like: Some basic googling or research would've told you how to make a uniform that likely would've slipped under the radar. No, he just award shotgun'ed a set of blues and though nobody would notice.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 23, 2022

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Americans, by and large, assume everyone in the military is a trained killer on some level. You don’t have to lie about what you did in the forever wars, the public just assumes you were vital to our “win.”

I vividly remember trying to explain to a boomer-era boss with no experience in risk mitigation why we couldn't just ask one of our staff who had been a NG medic deployed to Iraq to develop security protocols for staff in high-risk areas. He thought everybody in the military came out as Liam Neeson from Taken.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Even Zhukov would have laughed his rear end off at all those bars.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 23, 2022

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1573346732775194630?t=g_w9yho327-mWUDXPkrfuw&s=19

Lol

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

And his girlfriend goes to a different school, no doubt.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Apparently lying about your trooping is the red line because not much else seems to be as long as you'll own the libs

"To own the libs you must first own yourself. No, not like that." - Sun Tzu, from "The Secret Teachings"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CommieGIR posted:

Its all so terrible.

Like: Some basic googling or research would've told you how to make a uniform that likely would've slipped under the radar. No, he just award shotgun'ed a set of blues and though nobody would notice.

iirc he had on marine bloodstripe pants and some black steel toed boots.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The first rule of classified deployments is you talk about them a lot

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The first rule of classified deployments is you talk about them a lot

Rule number 1 after finishing BUDS

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

The hardest part was the SEAR training. The instructors are absolute assholes about getting the right temperature in the steak, and they don't make any allowances for poor quality charcoal.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

I thought that was "publish a book"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arrath posted:

And his girlfriend goes to a different school, no doubt.

In Canada.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
It's behind a paywall now, but https://www.duffelblog.com/p/us-navy-seal-training-writing-course

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The classified documents from Mar-a-Lago solely detail Majewski's military records. Goes all the way to the top

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

What a loving dork

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soul Dentist posted:

The classified documents from Mar-a-Lago solely detail Majewski's military records. Goes all the way to the top

To be honest here's a part of me that knows trump thought he could just classify any crimes and no one would need to know.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The master of my Masonic lodge was in the military and one time we were talking about stolen valor stuff and his take on it was really interesting. He was a “paper pusher” in logistics and is quite open about how he never even left the United States. But he was still in the military and assuredly did something that was important in many small and big ways. He says one issue with these stolen valor people is that a lot of them were in jobs like his, they get out and see all the positive praise the actually deployed shooters get, the “hero and bravery” stuff, and somewhere in their warped mind they start asking themselves “well what about me?” Like, they feel entirely unrecognized and left out of the general public praise for the pipe hitters. They want in on it. So they start misrepresenting what they did in the military and it just snowballs all the gently caress of the way from there. Watching that Don Shipley guy, a lot of the stolen valor idiots he goes after fall into this group. They’ll have been a petty officer or whatever on some ship that hung out on the east coast for a year and turn that into “deployed with navy seals” because one time a seal was in the cafeteria with them.

But there seems to be plenty of others that are a) insane and never even attempted to join the military and build some wild bullshit persons or b) washed out extremely early but cannot ever, ever, admit to themselves their failures so instead hide behind a bunch of increasingly bigger lies to prevent ego implosion.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheWeedNumber posted:

What a loving dork

He could at least talk about the benefits of jerking off.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

This reminds me of a post I saw re: "dreaming about being in high school even though I'm 40"

One guy commented about having dreams about being back in, and even while dreaming thinking "There is no way I was dumb enough to reenlist what the gently caress is going on"

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

To be honest here's a part of me that knows trump thought he could just classify any crimes and no one would need to know.

Good old EO 13292 is pretty clear on this:

Trumps own goddamned executive order posted:

Sec. 1.7. Classification Prohibitions and Limitations.

(a) In no case shall information be classified in order to:

(1) conceal violations of law, inefficiency, or administrative error;

(2) prevent embarrassment to a person, organization, or agency;

(3) restrain competition; or

(4) prevent or delay the release of information that does not require protection in the interest of the national security.

I mean, it’s an E.O. not a law. Decades ago I remember (early 2000’s) there was a federal statute on classifying illegal things is actually illegal and bad and will only make the penalties for your illegal poo poo worse.

A lot of laws have sundown provisions, or just go away so I don’t know if it’s still the case that there’s a law on that poo poo. Definitely an E.O. though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh cool so it's loving worthless since EOs get erased by the supreme court all the time, right?