Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Tom Tucker posted:

The performance by Deputy Inspector Fascist-Stick-Up-My-rear end was amazing. Every scene he was in was captivating, from him baffled by his superior telling him to sweep things under the rug, to him berating the people "working" for him just trying to punch their timecards, to the inspirational speech, to the dead-eyed look at the exploded speeder, it was just great.

I hope they don't bring him back though. I hope we never see him again and he's just some over-zealous prick we never see again except maybe referencing the inspector who got demoted so far he couldn't even use a desk. Just let that be his arc - I don't want him hunting Cassian across the galaxy looking for revenge. He was the far arrogant cop Cassian was talking about so to fit the theme perfectly they'd just walk right away from him. Maybe keep the Sgt on as the guy who follows up because the inspector absorbed all the poo poo rolling downhill but let him fade into obscurity it's the perfect contained arc for his ambition-cloaked-in-self-righteous-delusion character.

I was not and am not prepared for this show to be this good I'm going to have to do a double shift in the take mines tonight to get some fresh ones.

the whole thing seemed to be setting him up for a longer arc where we'll see him again as an imperial officer. fits right into an easy plot where he would be recruited and promoted for failure after he throws his boss under the bus and blames him for trying to cover up what appears to be a newly discovered terrorist cell. i dont think i saw him in a different uniform in the trailers though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Despite being absolutely burned by watching all of Obi-wan I was persuaded to check out Andor, which has no right to be good as it is, and I'll be writing it up like I did for Obi-wan but hopefully less bitterly and in (presumably) three-episode chunks:

quote:

It seems implausible that we actually see less of this future neon city than we do the party drug planet from Obi-wan given how much more vibrant and coherent it feels — in what will become a running mark of quality, there’s an extended scene of the club bouncer patting Andor down and giving him the house rules before he heads in. These small moments and subtle characters count tenfold in making the setting compelling, and Andor has them in spades: the busybody on the space transport who thinks everything’s crooked, the town bellringer who takes immense pride in his work without saying a single word, the guy who Cassian owes money to who has hired a local shark man to lightly menace him (yes, a loan-shark). These things could all easily be on the cutting room floor, and a persistent complaint I had about Obi-wan was that they invariably were, giving the impression of a world where people only ever talked when they wanted to muse about starting a rebellion.

https://josh04.medium.com/ando-calrissian-andor-episodes-1-2-3-abce250ecb32

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Owlbear Camus posted:

An argument could be made that on the causeway entrance he was acting out of desperate, solitary immediacy.

Something he didn't feel as urgently with Luthen at his side, already made with a 4 star wanted level, and a half dozen dead cops already and his escape no more or less secure murking one more helpless guy in cold blood.

Hell maybe he thinks Luthen is testing him and is playing it less murdery until he feels his new partner in crime out more.

The first cop he murdered was reasonable to me because

1) There was absolutely no way in hell that cop was going to just let Cassian go about his business if Cassian just bolted
2) There was absolutely no way in hell that cop was being honest about them going in together and coming up with a story, Cassian just got this cop's friend killed right in front of him, he would have executed Cassian the second he had the chance so he could have a more heroic story and not "my friend was a moron and slipped"

When he gets the drop on paladin cop later on look at the situation they're in. Keeping a low (well, low as you can) profile and setting up the poo poo with the speeder/bomb is the main priority, blaster fire or a physical altercation would have immediately drawn everyone there, and the other cops already generally know where Karn is. Like in heat of the moment Cassian just bolting there seems fine.

That said, it maybe could have been set up a little better, like maybe he's about to pistol whip him or kill him but then some he seems some of the other troops approaching or almost gets spotted, to make it more clearly not worth the effort.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
no because you can just watch Rogue One again if you want to watch Rogue One again

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

josh04 posted:

Despite being absolutely burned by watching all of Obi-wan I was persuaded to check out Andor, which has no right to be good as it is, and I'll be writing it up like I did for Obi-wan but hopefully less bitterly and in (presumably) three-episode chunks:

Reading through, this part jumps out at me:

quote:

The genius of Andor, at least in this first trilogy of episodes, is that it doesn’t even try. It’s barely Star Wars.

I agree with this. This is an SF show set in the SW galaxy more than that it is an actual Star Wars entry.
Watching it, I was starting to wonder if we're ever going to get a story even further detached from the main stories. Just a story of some people in space making a living. Not getting really caught up in the war, maybe use it as a backdrop. Throw in some references, but otherwise leave it be.
Like the life of Freck.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also thats another Lancer-class Pursuit ship next to it on the ship lot in Andor. There was also a VCX-100 (aka The Ghost from Rebels) further down.

I loving KNEW I'd recognized the front of that ship. Thanks for confirming! :)

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The one Corp guy stopping Bix was dumb, there's literally an entire town of people running around and dozens of people banging alarms but yes, make sure to notice and stop the one plot important character that you see so she can witness a snitch getting what he deserves.

Aside from that episode 3 was great.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm seriously thinking about putting together a video essay about this first arc over the weekend, just for the fun of it.

Two more observations about this first arc:

In a break from genre conventions, and maybe why the inciting incident with the two killed cops is loving some people up: In most fantasy media, the protagonist's intention when it comes to initiating violence acts as an almost absolute guarantor of outcome. Batman never intends to kill, and thus no amount of blunt trauma he inflicts on the joker's goons will result in a lethal brain hemorrhage, ever. The Punisher only ever intends to kill criminals, and thus unloading a SAW on a city street will never result in a single bullet overpenetrating and even injuring an uninvolved bystander. loving up a should-have-been-non-lethal takedown and snapping a guy's neck is Cohen Brothers or Vince Gilligan territory. You're not ready for that in a Star War.

The theme of deception and lies runs so deep, but what's interesting is that in a more fabulist telling, what would cook Andor's goose is one lie too many, or the tangled web of keeping them straight. Here that's not it. Everyone swims in lies. What fucks him up is when a truths he told to two people intersects, once with the sex worker admitting the woman he was looking for was his sister (and implicitly that he was from the obscure planet) likely to win over her sympathies and get her to open up more, and when he let it out that he was from that planet in the past as pillow talk with his lovers, including Bix.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The one Corp guy stopping Bix was dumb, there's literally an entire town of people running around and dozens of people banging alarms but yes, make sure to notice and stop the one plot important character that you see so she can witness a snitch getting what he deserves.

Aside from that episode 3 was great.

you can make up a few reasons about why it 'works' such as 'she was running in the wrong direction' or 'cops are always harassing hot girls' but for sure it's just a dumb squence. idk why timm walked towards the cops either, i'm sure he feels guilty but that wouldn't make him suddenly dumb. it's the only sequence in the first 3 episodes that i felt was really bad. the writers wanted to demonstrate how Gritty space war is i guess so they needed to up the emotional stakes with a death (that doesn't really work??)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ill admit I was confused and thought "wait was she a known associate of his, is that why?"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I know why Timm walked towards them. He thought since he was a good guy he could just walk up to them arresting someone but turns out he wasn't on their level. The cops hate everyone. And since he reported it he's a good guy, right? It's a classic, "I never thought leopards would eat MY face". And she was just running around after they told everyone to gently caress off - cops don't give a gently caress and she was interfering in their minds. It's classic brutalism. Not very hard to figure out.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
In the Mandalorian episode where he finally meets Ashoka (season 2, ep 13), isn't there a guy who was waaaay too invested in banging out the time on a big metal drum there, too?

I love the idea that the Star Wars universe just uses burly men as clocks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

And it's the best possible job.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Who wakes up the guy who wakes everyone else up??

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Who wakes up the guy who wakes everyone else up??

An alarm clock droid, probably.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Speaking of specialty droids - the loving step droid at the flying bus station where everyone steps in its head all day.

Real "pass the butter" energy.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Super-into-it-Bell-Guy is the kind of world building that makes these “alien” places feel alive.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Galaga Galaxian posted:

An alarm clock droid, probably.

That just raises further questions!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Speaking of specialty droids - the loving step droid at the flying bus station where everyone steps in its head all day.

Eh, it's a living.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I can't decide if I want a scene of the Time Grappler using those hammers to smash stormtrooper helmets in a riot, or if that would be a bit too much. I'm torn.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

We already had the Armorer do it, and after that Boba Fett smashed Storm Troopers.

If Andor wants to keep with tradition Time Dude will smash Storm Troopers, but I get the feeling this show wants to break from tradition.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

josh04 posted:

these little details make the difference between a world that the characters move through vs a stage that exists only when the main characters are around

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tom Tucker posted:

Super-into-it-Bell-Guy is the kind of world building that makes these “alien” places feel alive.

That really quick shot of him getting ready to start pounding was brilliant. It turned a background character into a real person inhabiting the universe.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

getting my job stolen by a droid

at the dicksucking factory

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I loved it. Half the fun with these Star Wars shows is seeing all the stupid fun droids they think up. Star Wars has the best robots of any fantasy world, bar none.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Love that the actor playing the "Time Grappler" has the surname Bell.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

burned a bunch of coaxium

Lmao I love the kind of realism in star wars that means "here's a guy who lives with his mom" but the setting is not allowed to have thermodynamics that's just absurd

What next are we gonna find out that Coruscant is 90% carbon capture facilities

edit: the snitch getting shot was a little weak and I feel that his killer immediately crashing his ship while trying to desert was a better implementation of a similar karmic idea

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 23, 2022

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1573337880348467202

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Pablo just laying down a lore-hammer on all the whiners.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The fact that people are so dumb that he had to do this is just....JFC

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Also notable C-3PO is the only one to say gently caress since they’re a protocol droid

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dorks gettin mad over certain dialogue use need to touch grass. Fuckin' dorks lol.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

drat, I think Lucasfilm has Marvel beat for "worst working conditions for post-production artists."

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/09/darth-vaders-voice-emanated-from-war-torn-ukraine

quote:

Belyaev was rushing to finish his work as Putin’s troops came across the border. “If everything went bad, we would never make these conversions delivered to Skywalker Sound,” he says. “So I decided to push this data right on the 24th of February.”

Respeecher employees in Kyiv also soldiered on while hunkered down. Dmytro Bielievtsov, the company’s cofounder and CTO, got online in a theater where tabletops, books, and more had been stacked in front of windows in case of blasts. Programmers “training” the A.I. to replicate Jones’s voice and editors piecing together the output worked from corridors in the interior of their apartments. One took refuge in an ancient brick “basement” no bigger than a crawl space.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Mameluke posted:

edit: the snitch getting shot was a little weak and I feel that his killer immediately crashing his ship while trying to desert was a better implementation of a similar karmic idea

He wasn’t trying to desert? The leader of his squad told him to go back to the pod and get it airborne, presumably as support and eyes in the sky.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alan Smithee posted:

Also notable C-3PO is the only one to say gently caress since they’re a protocol droid

"I AM THE ONE WHO SAYS gently caress!" ~C-3PO, Human-Cyborg Relations

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Robot Style posted:

drat, I think Lucasfilm has Marvel beat for "worst working conditions for post-production artists."

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2022/09/darth-vaders-voice-emanated-from-war-torn-ukraine

we need our treats

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

pretty good but John Andor needs to stop being such a sad sack. maybe the beautiful and smart Bix could be the protagonist

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I thought Cassian was calling her "Biggs" for the entirety of the first episode.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

mistermojo posted:

pretty good but John Andor needs to stop being such a sad sack. maybe the beautiful and smart Bix could be the protagonist

He has to find his sister Cassie Ann Andor

AndyElusive posted:

I thought Cassian was calling her "Biggs" for the entirety of the first episode.

She should have called him Wormy I would have lost my goddamn mind

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AndyElusive posted:

Before I turned on subtitles I was really curious about this word they kept saying at the start that was almost Canary but not quite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Subtitles are definitely recommended for this show, because otherwise you could easily not pick up that the character you thought was Tim was actually Timm