Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Gutcruncher posted:

Nuclear power plants have government regulations regarding the temperature of their water output. While it does warm up the water near it, it is kept within levels that shouldn’t harm the ecosystem.

Bitcoin turns nature into a hot tub. Bitcoin wins again.

You're being biased because you're not addressing how useful that heat could be if it were magically moved to a cold house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

looks like some more good for bitcoin news
https://twitter.com/sdnynews/status/1573059789021650944?s=46&t=7zozhloRGegIqDgn3AMLiw

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Salt Fish posted:

You're being biased because you're not addressing how useful that heat could be if it were magically moved to a cold house.

Using Maxwell’s Demon to heat houses is pretty grounded by crypto standards

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
You're going to post chubbyemu's post but not his excellent video on the topic? For shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr8bp8a2QS4

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Lol, coiners better start fleeing the country before the records are subpoenaed and everyone's visas get canceled

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Bitcoin was a way to cheat taxes and the law esp when it was relatively unknown, but the grift, any ponzi, requires exponential growth of the rube pool to work, and always dies off...but this time it died off and simultaneously got so large it will come under tax scrutiny, and people are getting double hosed for their hubris, LOL.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Salt Fish posted:

Talking to a coworker about their bitcoin investments and they explain casually "well this was before you had to pay taxes on crypto of course".

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

CoolCab posted:

so this is a more interesting question broader than just mining, imo. like the inherent contradiction here - we have a ton of waste heat and also a heating budget and as such we can save money by unifying them somehow makes perfect sense. joule is a joule after all it's just working out a practical implementation. some people are trying, here's some finnish person who is the first hit when i google it pitching it:

https://www.fortum.com/about-us/newsroom/forthedoers-blog/data-centres-and-district-heating-perfect-match

lots of people have chewed it out, here's a 2009 study on it

https://www1.eere.energy.gov/manufacturing/datacenters/pdfs/chp_data_centers.pdf

and at the enthusiast level there have been some cute efforts of like, here's a whole home water loop for the server room and pool, all the energy spent in our electronics is going to give us underfloor heating and year round warm pool instead of being pumped outside and wasted, stuff like that. loving extortionately expensive to build and maintain though.

Agreed that putting waste heat to use is a good idea. If you have a server or industrial process or something that actually has a reason to be running, any heat you can transfer to somewhere that needs it is a bonus as long as the efficiency is >1%.

The problem is that Bitcoin mining doesn't need to exist. So you end up with the choice of

• Burning gas at a power plant and transmitting it at ~60% efficiency, then running an over 100% efficient heat pump for up to 200% total efficiency
  • Burning gas in a furnace at ~90% efficiency
  • Burning gas at a power plant and transmitting it at ~60% efficiency, then running a 100% efficient resistance furnace for ~60% total
  • Burning gas at a power plant and transmitting it at ~60% efficiency, then running a 100% efficient but otherwise useless Bitcoin miner then somehow transmitting that heat (probably be lucky to hit 50%) for ~dogshit% total efficiency
Those numbers are all locally and artisanally mined in my rear end, but they're in the ballpark of actual numbers.

Again, I'm all behind making use of waste, but not if the waste was created intentionally. Bitcoin heating would be like throwing brand new stuff into a landfill so we can run a power plant off the "waste" methane.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
How do the market cap calculations deal with the fact that any significant sell-off of any coin immediately triggers a collapse in the value of it and all even tangentially related coins, to the point where cashing out is basically a death of a thousand prisoner's dilemmas?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Somfin posted:

How do the market cap calculations deal with the fact that any significant sell-off of any coin immediately triggers a collapse in the value of it and all even tangentially related coins, to the point where cashing out is basically a death of a thousand prisoner's dilemmas?

ok first step, do some cocaine. next step think about how the numbers are really big and you're gonna be rich. last step, do no think about how this all plays out, just focus on getting money out before it crashes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Somfin posted:

No, no, number go up.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

ok first step, do some cocaine. next step think about how the numbers are really big and you're gonna be rich. last step, do no think about how this all plays out, just focus on getting money out before it crashes.

I sold a bunch of $SMEGMA to buy some cocaine and apparently I have negative money now? Is that normal? My wife is wondering where our child's college fund went

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

One of the biggest points a large amount of crypto groups I have ever been in, ever had a problem with was:

that question on your tax return that amounted to: have you ever done anything with crypto?

Every year they laughed at me, and I always made sure to check the box, review my taxes with tax attorneys, and pay correctly. Because I don't ever want to deal with the bad side of the law - why should I? If you can manage to avoid all taxes through some legal tax structure and that works for you, more power to you. But...don't fuckin lie on your taxes. I expect a huge amount of bitcoin/freeper shock and cognitive dissonance on this one.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
As it turns out, a DAO is not a one weird "cant sue me, bro" trick

It is also generally a poor idea to publicly post your plans for doing crimes

full complaint

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What's funny is how Robinhood for a long time did not require providing any tax information or identity verification and all they could do for people who signed up before they started requiring it was send daily emails begging them to add all their personal info, so I bet in the end robinhood ends up liable for a whole lot of unpaid taxes from trades in accounts where they collected zero personal information

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

PITY BONER posted:

You're going to post chubbyemu's post but not his excellent video on the topic? For shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr8bp8a2QS4

His videos are interesting but often horrifying.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Big shock, Helium was scam from the start, it got pillaged before it really got off the ground.

Also, last month the network generated a total of $1500 in rewards.

https://twitter.com/SarahNEmerson/status/1573324892942270464

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Meanwhile, Helium is becoming a mobile carrier. Use your Helium 5G phone to connect through Helium hotspots and apparently T-Mobile towers. And I think your phone mines helium tokens or something. Seems dumb.

https://twitter.com/helium/status/1572245557292269574

Isn't this pretty much the Pied Piper product from Silicon Valley?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
A friend of mine’s brother in law got into Helium and bought a hotspot, gonna send him that so he can dunk on him.

“Hey BIL can I borrow $5, your helium earnings in the past 3 months lol”

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I suppose it's real easy to declare your mobile network is successful if what you're really doing is borrowing some other carrier's infrastructure.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PotatoJudge posted:

And I think your phone mines helium tokens or something. Seems dumb.
Love having a phone that regularly hits 102° near my nads and has a battery life of 39 minutes

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 23, 2022

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Why does this person have a tattoo of the Agilent logo?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

drk posted:

As it turns out, a DAO is not a one weird "cant sue me, bro" trick

It is also generally a poor idea to publicly post your plans for doing crimes

full complaint

Reminds me of InuYasha coin, who's basic legal defense was "huh, sucks". Did anything ever happen to them?

SettingSun posted:

I suppose it's real easy to declare your mobile network is successful if what you're really doing is borrowing some other carrier's infrastructure.

MVNOs are a really common thing. This would be like taking credit for the concept of franchising.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Oh god Inuyasha coins legal defense of “well it’s too late lol” is one for the ages

Well Ms Takahashi if you didn’t want me to steal your property you should’ve just minted it first, idiot

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 23, 2022

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Gutcruncher posted:

Oh god Inuyasha coins legal defense of “well it’s too late lol” is one for the ages

Well Ms Takahashi if you didn’t want me to steal your property you should’ve just minted it first, idiot

"So let me go over 'trade' and 'mark' to show why-" [immediately tackled by 15 NFL linebackers simultaneously]

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Gutcruncher posted:

I don't think anything happened to them yet, but yeah if the trademark/copyright owners ever go after them, they will no doubt find out that the law doesn't give a poo poo that you don't understand copyright law.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I cannot tell you how funny all the miner cope is as they realize their ROI was built around prices that haven't existed for most the year and cards that are plummeting in value

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Post quotes

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
regardign helium I kinda liked them because they seemed to be trying to providing something of utility, with the net work, maybe the net work can be utilized for poo poo posting.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

:hmmyes:

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I don't think anything happened to them yet, but yeah if the trademark/copyright owners ever go after them, they will no doubt find out that the law doesn't give a poo poo that you don't understand copyright law.

Last time I checked they had already changed their name to yasha coin or something like that. But it could be that yasha coin is a completely different anime coin and Inuyasha coin got rugged pulled. :bitcoin:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Eagerly inventing Blockchain based prostitution via Waifucoin

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:yeah:

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Rin-ne Coin came out after Inuyasha Coin, but it wasn't anywhere near as popular.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

PotatoJudge posted:

Meanwhile, Helium is becoming a mobile carrier. Use your Helium 5G phone to connect through Helium hotspots and apparently T-Mobile towers. And I think your phone mines helium tokens or something. Seems dumb.

Except more poorly done. Being an mvno doesn't exactly bring huge profits.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Speaking of free NFTs!

Thanks NY Giants!

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

PotatoJudge posted:

It's like when Walgreen's partnered with Theranos.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
TMo also has dumbass Starlink compatability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Lmao a contractor I work with got to talking with me about cryptocurrency and I mentioned that it seems like a greater fool scheme and that the price hit High water market it's been plummeting ever since. He counted saying that it was worth $45,000 a few months ago which is when he sold it. But he still sold it at a loss!

He followed up by saying "that's my gambling money I don't need to worry about it too much"