Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

depends on what exactly you're struggling with but if it's the story then i think the common issue people have with stb is that it suffers from splitting focus and i'd say it starts to pick up once you go east and the ending and ramp into shadowbringers gets pretty dang intense. stb is also where they really start to settle on their "modern" encounter design and start to significantly ramp up the mechanical complexity of stuff in the msq

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Good News Everyone posted:

Hello fellow ffxiv goons! I got into the game a couple of months ago and it has summarily consumed my brain. I am currently struggling with the beginning of SB, which is pretty dull to be honest. I hear it gets better around 65? Please tell me it gets more interesting. I am possibly a bit burnt out from HW, but I really want to unlock things and progress.

Stormblood is boring, yeah.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Hello fellow ffxiv goons! I got into the game a couple of months ago and it has summarily consumed my brain. I am currently struggling with the beginning of SB, which is pretty dull to be honest. I hear it gets better around 65? Please tell me it gets more interesting. I am possibly a bit burnt out from HW, but I really want to unlock things and progress.

I'm a WoW refugee (played for 14 years) and ffxiv is so much nicer. So many things to do. Such a kinder community. A ferret lives on my shoulder. What a time!

in my opinion the start of SB is kind of blah, it wasn't until SHB that it reached "this is my favorite video game story" level

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Stormblood is good but it has two nearly back to back openers and if you were hoping for pure Ala Mhigo focus then oops.

Thinking about Ala Mhigan rpers and their facial expressions when they get to Kugane. :laffo:

Of course if you are a good Xaela like myself you know Stormblood made the correct choice. :smug:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I've got island fever. I have to physically restrain myself from going there to check in even though there's literally no reason for me to go back for another 36 hrs

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zenos... Zero... Zemus! Zeromus! :aaaaa:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i got a gator!

i have named him Shoes

Jabbering Idiot
Jun 5, 2013
Most people aren't looking at the tank in this game. They're just looking at the boss. Positioning gets noticed because it's where the boss is standing. If bosses feel like they don't follow you at times, the boss hasn't given up on you, it just really wants to finish its animation before chasing you.

Just go wait in the spot where you want it. They always run straight to you afterwards and stand with the edge of their hitbox touching you. Don't worry about missing a global cooldown or two if the positioning is more important. Once you've gotten used to how and when enemies move and respond (feels clunky coming from other games, but I promise its consistent), then worry about your rotation uptime.

I'm a WoW refugee (played for 14 years) and ffxiv is so much nicer. So many things to do. Such a kinder community. A ferret lives on my shoulder. What a time!

Hey! I'm a WoW refugee too but I jumped ship way back in MoP.

SB's leveling in particular is kinda all over the place with pacing, but certain zones kick rear end and there's a lot of good payoff. But if you're ever feeling burnt out or just charging through the MSQ because you're "behind," one thing you can do is try some old content at your level.

Regardless if you're into raids, lore or crafting, at the point you're at in the game there's plenty of things you can go and try out, especially at level 50 and level 60 cuz they're the old expansion level caps. 4 years worth of stuff, really, and thanks to syncing/roulettes/minimum item level, you can give yourself a variety of difficulties if you prefer some challenge.

It might help keep things fresh to just do a little bit of the MSQ at a time and if you're feeling like it's kinda bleh, take five and go unlock something new. A random dungeon, or a new job, crafting or gathering class. You could go exploring player housing, try some pvp, check out the gold saucer...

If you ever need help getting a group for something, the goons and Party Finder (PF) are great. Plenty enjoy helping new folks try older stuff out.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think a lot of the enjoyment of SB comes from how interested one is in the two settings of Ala Mhigo and Kugane. I couldn't really give two shits about either so the entire expansion was a snoozefest.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Jabbering Idiot posted:

I remember on that fight in particular there were players that would know if the "Plate Fracture" breaking the platform (the big windup-slam, not the punches where his fists glow) was going to hit front or back in advance, and not just left or right. I'm fairly certain there's no way to determine this visually or logically for the first punch, and yet they would run front or back correctly on the targeted side.

I figured that was cheating, at least. Even if there wasn't much gained from that in particular.

Yeah, there's a different animation played even if the start of the animation is the same.

Basically every mechanic cactbot can call early is because the server tells your client to play something and cactbot can just read the ID while you have to (visually) wait for it.

Current tier example would be the P8 ground fire lines, although I'm not sure how early that actually gets called, it might have multiple animation packets.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bruceski posted:

Finally got the head, it's a shame that's not dyable. Still gonna try and make it work in a Halloween glam. Are there any good chestpieces for tattered clothing or mummy bandages or something?

I want to suggest Uraeus Body Armor for a Joshua Graham outfit.

Otherwise, I know there's a coat that always looks good to me from the item thumbnail, but I pull it up and the hem is just all kinds of tattered and that does nothing for me, but I can't remember the name.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 23, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

aers posted:

Yeah, there's a different animation played even if the start of the animation is the same.

Basically every mechanic cactbot can call early is because the server tells your client to play something and cactbot can just read the ID while you have to (visually) wait for it.

Current tier example would be the P8 ground fire lines, although I'm not sure how early that actually gets called, it might have multiple animation packets.

from listening to my static mate's callouts p5s ruby3/simon says is called before the first topaz crystal finishes materializing

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Dareon posted:

Otherwise, I know there's a coat that always looks good to me from the item thumbnail, but I pull it up and the hem is just all kinds of tattered and that does nothing for me, but I can't remember the name.

is this the tattered coat you're thinking of?

its expeditioner's coat if so

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It makes perfect sense how cactbot works by just identifying what animation is playing. For p8 fires, the call comes out as soon as the lines start moving. More critically, it calls where the snakes will end up. But at least you can learn that yourself just slightly slower based on where they start and what direction they spin.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My latest friend to start playing had trouble getting through Stormblood because the central story element of putting the war on pause to ship the WoL across the world to do chores for people didn't make sense and annoyed him. He liked the ending of it, though, and he was up until 3 AM playing Shadowbringers because he had to see what happened next

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

I hated sb at launch but I look back on it a lot more charitably now. 65 is a roughly correct answer though, the story of zone 5 is excellent. 4's decent but everything up to that is kind of just loving about. Even zone 5 is a lot of loving about but at least it's with a lot of fun lore and characters.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
My friend took this and I'm in it and I love it so I'm showing it off.

https://twitter.com/KtisisEitheirys/status/1572429844855783427

And another

And something she just took of us while I was helping her with her Relic

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Zenos... Zero... Zemus! Zeromus! :aaaaa:

part of me feels a little scammed by the stormblood raid tiers focusing mostly on V and VI so I hope this comes through in 6.5.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In an expansion so laden with FFIV references I would be shocked if the overarching villain on the 6.x patches wasn't Zeromus or some thin reference to him.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vitamean posted:

part of me feels a little scammed by the stormblood raid tiers focusing mostly on V and VI so I hope this comes through in 6.5.

Yeah at this point I'm half expecting the next few patches to go Cagnazzo dungeon boss / solo duty + Rubicante trial in 6.3, then Golbez trial in 6.4, and Zeromus trial in 6.5. But with the end of the original main storyline they may mix it up with the patches thing forward so there might be a 6.6 patch and each enemy gets their own trial (except Scarmiglione).

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
The music of Stormblood is really great. The story is…fine. It’s good MMO story sprinkled with some fantastic bits but also some real pacing problems.

But yes, whether or not you like Stormblood, play through to ShB. The hype is well earned.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Stb has a lot of heavy lifting to do early to introduce characters, which makes the first half fall a bit flat imo. It's worth the payoff later, especially with the ramp up into SB, but yeah.

Best advice for when the msq feels like a slog: go do something else. Alexander raids, Hildebrand, etc. There's always plenty to do at most levels for a bit until the itch of needing to know what happens next in the story starts getting you to come back.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

FuturePastNow posted:

My latest friend to start playing had trouble getting through Stormblood because the central story element of putting the war on pause to ship the WoL across the world to do chores for people didn't make sense and annoyed him. He liked the ending of it, though, and he was up until 3 AM playing Shadowbringers because he had to see what happened next

Did they skip the quest text? It's presented through the vehicle of mmo style chores but it made sense to me as far as fantasy warfare strategy goes.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Going through the bullshit fetch quest grind again nearly got me to quit stormblood too. It is not an interesting or enjoyable experience.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Failboattootoot posted:

Really hope that concert comes to America. I went to the first one in LA and it was incredible and I remain sad as hell that whatever plans they may have had for the 2nd one to come stateside got killed by the pandemic.

If it's any consolation, the Distant Worlds concert is this weekend in LA, in case you happen to be able to make last minute plans to go to LA for a concert.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jabbering Idiot posted:

Most people aren't looking at the tank in this game. They're just looking at the boss.

Most of the time in dungeons there isn't a boss. Tanks lead the pace of the party so they're the most visible. It's perfectly natural to feel anxious about that even if the job is objectively easier than the others these days.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Is anyone else getting random disconnects the past couple days? I'm on Excalibur and I'm wondering if it's happening to anyone else or if its something on my end.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Allarion posted:

If it's any consolation, the Distant Worlds concert is this weekend in LA, in case you happen to be able to make last minute plans to go to LA for a concert.

Oh I love Distant Worlds (and New Worlds!) too. I've been to nearly all of the ones that come to TX, but the Eorzean Symphony was something else. That said, desperately hoping that the next time I end up at a DW concert, they play battle on the big bridge, think that's the only song off their albums I haven't heard live.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

Is anyone else getting random disconnects the past couple days? I'm on Excalibur and I'm wondering if it's happening to anyone else or if its something on my end.

It's been happening like once per day early mornings on couerl for the past week or so

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Trash Ops posted:

cactbot and gathebuddy are for cowards

Hell yeah brother.

I've been on a fishing journey to complete my fishing log. Over the last two months, I've gone from about 30% log completion to over 95% log completion. No mods. No masters. Only the sea.

Ibblebibble posted:

3 out of 7. 11 fish to go for a 100% filled log.

For as hard as some of the rare fish are, I feel like the ocean fishing blues can be even more frustrating.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Ibblebibble posted:

3 out of 7. 11 fish to go for a 100% filled log.

They all have the cutest backdrops, literally screams "do not desynth, put me on a canvas." I kept all mine for just in case someday.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

sassassin posted:

You're standing in front of the class giving a speech about your summer.

And if you're doing glams right, you're not wearing any pants.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dareon posted:

blatman posted:

its expeditioner's coat if so

Ooo, those could work, I'll play around with it. Thanks for the suggestions, I was having trouble figuring out where to start. It's not a style this game really goes for.

This dang thing isn't even an easy color to match OTHER dyes to. Grumble grumble...

Edit: yeah I can work with this, thanks!

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 23, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SB definitely starts slow but it ramps up. I think it's also a lot more focused around individual story arcs than community story arcs like HW is. But as far as action goes, you're gonna see some really cool poo poo and some really great voice acting. Keep it up!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m the sicko that likes StB more than HW.

Also, (HW spoiler) Harchefaunt’s death didn’t affect me that much.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

I’m the sicko that likes StB more than HW.

Also, (HW spoiler) Harchefaunt’s death didn’t affect me that much.

I also do tbh. I don't necessarily think it's better, but I enjoyed it more.

That being said I still cry at that scene

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

S.J. posted:

I also do tbh. I don't necessarily think it's better, but I enjoyed it more.

That being said I still cry at that scene

The scene following it is way harder to watch.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

100000000000000000000000000000%

I can also instantly cry on command merely thinking about the final scene of the 70 DRK quest

Note Block fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 23, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

poo poo I haven't done it in so long I'm having a hard time remembering which scene that is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

S.J. posted:

poo poo I haven't done it in so long I'm having a hard time remembering which scene that is?

The one where his dad finds out