Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

OneMoreTime posted:

If you are meaning more recently post-Neumann, I have no idea. If you mean when he was in charge...

This oversimplifies things, but what it came down to was that WeWork was constantly buying additional office space and renting it out for dirt cheap via special deals and other incentives just to get said spaces filled and get more investment money. The issue however was that these cheap deals weren't making up for the cost of owning the spaces, much less buying new ones, so they made up the difference with said investment money. Since they kept getting new customers, this meant on-paper they looked like they were bringing in a ton of revenue when in reality, they were losing basically all the money in the world. This then became known when they decided to have their IPO and they had to open their books and everyone realized how much a tirefire the company was in terms of finances. This caused pretty much all VC funding to dry up until WeWork got rid of Neumann, but not before paying him a ridiculous amount of money to just leave.

That's pretty much the definition of a Ponzi scheme isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Capt.Whorebags posted:

That's pretty much the definition of a Ponzi scheme isn't it?
No. A Ponzi pays old investors with money from new investors. WeWork never paid any investors, it's just an ordinary unprofitable business. There's also nothing really novel or techy about it, "buy or lease a building, then rent it out in smaller pieces" is just a normal office space landlord.

I don't think there's any fraud allegations on their investment side. All of their nominally-financially-sophisticated private investors had access to the financials saying that the company was losing money hand over fist while paying Neumann an enormous salary, they just decided to be idiots and buy a share of the company anyway.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Foxfire_ posted:

No. A Ponzi pays old investors with money from new investors. WeWork never paid any investors, it's just an ordinary unprofitable business. There's also nothing really novel or techy about it, "buy or lease a building, then rent it out in smaller pieces" is just a normal office space landlord.

I don't think there's any fraud allegations on their investment side. All of their nominally-financially-sophisticated private investors had access to the financials saying that the company was losing money hand over fist while paying Neumann an enormous salary, they just decided to be idiots and buy a share of the company anyway.

What's baffling to me is that there's no added value to having this be a big national company other than VCs subsidizing it. Coworking spaces, either singular or as local chains, are a dime a dozen.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What's baffling to me is that there's no added value to having this be a big national company other than VCs subsidizing it. Coworking spaces, either singular or as local chains, are a dime a dozen.

But have you considered Disruption? And I assume WeWork had an app.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
You have to keep in mind that there is still a significant amount of people with money to throw around who think computers are literally magic.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
WeWork hjad chocolate fountains and a DJ.

do normal office space rental companies pay for that?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

My only exposure to WeWork was that their Sydney office had free beer on tap and you could get to the break room from the street without being challenged or requiring credentials. So thankyou WeWork investors for providing free beer when stuck in Sydney.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
At least it went to a good cause.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Huh, I thought WeWork crashed and burned once the pricing on office space restabilized with everybody being forced back to work in the office again.

They're bleeding money at a pretty hefty rate, but they've got enough banked that they can afford to circle the drain for a couple more years before their coffers finally run dry.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You have to keep in mind that there is still a significant amount of people with money to throw around who think computers are literally magic.

That's what's kinda funny. WeWork somehow got lumped in with "Tech" but there's not really any innovation. It's somewhat similar to the food box companies like Blue Apron and scooter rental companies. It may or may not be a viable business but there's not really anything new,, innovative or disruptive about it.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Capt.Whorebags posted:

My only exposure to WeWork was that their Sydney office had free beer on tap and you could get to the break room from the street without being challenged or requiring credentials. So thankyou WeWork investors for providing free beer when stuck in Sydney.

I rented a WeWork space once on a trip to LA, and at around 2pm people started showing up and drinking, by like 4 it was a massive party.

I realized the manager (guy in his early 20s) had invited a few dozen friends to come drink the free WeWork beer.

Kinda hard to get work done in the middle of a frat party, so I left.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OneMoreTime posted:

This caused pretty much all VC funding to dry up until WeWork got rid of Neumann, but not before paying him a ridiculous amount of money to just leave.
Wasn't there also some sort of scam where Neumann owned the properties (or held long-term leases) and WeWork leased them from him? That would explain why he's still able to forfeit them in this new investment deal.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
already owned properties that he rented to himself?

why do i get the feeling this is just another kid that hustled and gradded college debt free all by his ssj john galt self. (oh and has parents that gifted millions of dollars of NYC properties, paid for college, a nice off campus apartment, etc)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I also thought I remembered reading something about how WeWork technically rented a lot of their space from him, was basically a way to redirect VC funding into personal income.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
He did, he actually bought a ton of properties that weeork then rented. The biggest is he personally trademarked WE and they had to pay him to use the trade mark. Dude was massively grifting the company and it's one reason he got ousted because as more came out he became a figurehead of how bad alot of silicon unicorns were.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
my current tech nightmare is twitter links not embedding, what's up with that?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Lack of twitter is a tech blessing

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

starkebn posted:

my current tech nightmare is twitter links not embedding, what's up with that?

Read this thread's title and you shall be enlightened.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

I figured as much, but people just keep on postin 'em

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgyvb7/tesla-recalls-over-1-million-cars-because-windows-could-injure-drivers

Tesla Recalls Over 1 Million Cars Because Windows Could Injure Drivers

The potentially painful problem will be fixed by a software update, and the company plans to notify owners in November.

Electric car maker Tesla is recalling nearly 1.1 million cars in the U.S. because the automatic windows may not detect a person's fingers when going up, Reuters reported on Thursday.

The recall affects nearly all Tesla models manufactured since 2017, according to recall documents posted by federal regulators. Tesla says it first noticed the issue during testing in late August of this year, when technicians found the "window automatic reversal system performance that had greater than expected variations in response to pinch detection." The testing continued nearly into mid-September when Tesla decided to do a voluntary recall.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

How do you gently caress up something that basic?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

By hiring people who have never done the job before but are Very Smart (software) Engineers who have to constantly reinvent the wheel (due to lack of experience of the subject matter at hand) and don't know enough about the physical side of wear, tolerances, etc to properly test.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

software engineer switches to car manufacturing, still struggles with windows

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^^^ - :lol::lol:

Reinventing sixty years of wheels

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Stexils posted:

:five:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Stexils posted:

:kiss:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I choose to not blame the workers and instead blame the people running the place. There's probably some poor engineer that sent emails warning them that removing the sensor that detects fingers would lead to this, but they wanted to save the $0.50 or whatever. Tesla has a corporate culture of referring to the pre-existing auto manufacturers as 'legacy' (their customers picked up on this) and studiously avoiding all the accumulated knowledge. That kind of poo poo starts at the top.

Or sure, yeah, blame the rank and file for being dumb, that certainly lets management off the hook.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Family Values posted:

I choose to not blame the workers and instead blame the people running the place. There's probably some poor engineer that sent emails warning them that removing the sensor that detects fingers would lead to this, but they wanted to save the $0.50 or whatever. Tesla has a corporate culture of referring to the pre-existing auto manufacturers as 'legacy' (their customers picked up on this) and studiously avoiding all the accumulated knowledge. That kind of poo poo starts at the top.

Or sure, yeah, blame the rank and file for being dumb, that certainly lets management off the hook.

It's probably a software issue.

But anything like this is inherently a management problem. A non-clownshoes company would have someone who knows the regulatory requirements and is tasked with making sure that everything meets those requirements.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Family Values posted:

That's a nice story, but not how this works. It's much simpler: the body module (computer) that controls the window regulator (the motor and assembly that moves it up and down) can sense how much current is being used. When the current goes up you know there is more resistance to movement. The software in the body computer is written to detect events like this and act accordingly. This has been a solved problem for decades with every other auto manufacturer.

This is a software problem.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Motronic posted:

That's a nice story, but not how this works. It's much simpler: the body module (computer) that controls the window regulator (the motor and assembly that moves it up and down) can sense how much current is being used. When the current goes up you know there is more resistance to movement. The software in the body computer is written to detect events like this and act accordingly. This has been a solved problem for decades with every other auto manufacturer.

This is a software problem.

and that software wouldn't be broken if the management wasn't lovely and actually treated their workers well instead of forcing them to do poo poo like commute in person to their remote job after their whiny CEO got upset on twitter about remote work existing

all problems are management problems

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Iamgoofball posted:

and that software wouldn't be broken if the management wasn't lovely and actually treated their workers well instead of forcing them to do poo poo like commute in person to their remote job after their whiny CEO got upset on twitter about remote work existing

all problems are management problems

While all problems are management problems, making people come into the office/whatever you're saying here is not the root cause of things like this. It's a culture of hubris and terminal software engineer brain poisoning from the very top that thinks they know better than people and companies who have been designing and building cars for decades and that there is nothing to learn from them or the past. It's telling and believing a story that "software is better" (as if there is no software in GMs, Fords, VWs, etc) and that if the other companies just knew how to write good software everything would be better and self driving cars are easy to make.

These cars are physical manifestations of what goes on inside of the bay area reality distortion field.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Stexils posted:

New Thread Title plz

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Motronic posted:

While all problems are management problems, making people come into the office/whatever you're saying here is not the root cause of things like this. It's a culture of hubris and terminal software engineer brain poisoning from the very top that thinks they know better than people and companies who have been designing and building cars for decades and that there is nothing to learn from them or the past. It's telling and believing a story that "software is better" (as if there is no software in GMs, Fords, VWs, etc) and that if the other companies just knew how to write good software everything would be better and self driving cars are easy to make.

These cars are physical manifestations of what goes on inside of the bay area reality distortion field.

It's not even that. It's the fact that there is an actual list of federal regulations saying things like "the window needs to do X under Y conditions". At real companies in highly-regulated industries, there is often someone whose entire job is to make sure that everything complies with regulations. There should be someone in charge of checking that all these basic documented requirements are met, and that's not happening.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla's software teams have been overly influenced by "move fast, break things" methodologies, leading to failures to thoroughly test things before deploying fixes. And the inconsistent hardware of Tesla vehicles no doubt makes it rather difficult to keep the codebase stable. And of course, it doesn't help that Tesla promoted their last director compliance to Head of Legal, putting him in charge of all Tesla's lawsuits. That left the compliance job open until this summer, when a new director of compliance was hired, and a month or so before the aforementioned Head of Legal quit the company. I doubt it's a coincidence that the window problem was discovered around that same time.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I think some people have unrealistic beliefs about how perfect car software is (including other manufacturers), and about how broken the Tesla window thing is. The Tesla problem is not "the auto-reverse on pinch doesn't function at all and nobody ever checked", it's "under some combination of circumstances, it is possible for it to not work as intended". In terms of how well the car industry does generally, most manufacturers have had recalls for similar kinds of failures of autoreverse functionality (i.e. Ford 16V617000 for a window or Kia 18V338000 for a power sliding door)

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, it very much reeks of startup/entrepreneur brain where you assume that literally everyone else is just too stuck in their ways and afraid to innovate, only to run headfirst into hundreds of problems that literally everyone else has already encountered and solved before. It's doubly funny that it seems to happen in a software context. Basically the first thing I learned in practical development was: "No matter what you're trying to do, somebody else likely already tried it, and probably did it better than you would. Do your loving research and don't waste your time on solved problems".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it very much reeks of startup/entrepreneur brain where you assume that literally everyone else is just too stuck in their ways and afraid to innovate, only to run headfirst into hundreds of problems that literally everyone else has already encountered and solved before. It's doubly funny that it seems to happen in a software context.

Well said. This is part of the core point I'm trying to get across.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think it's an interesting corollary to the desire for diversity in the workplace, and an example of why it's actually incredibly necessary and beneficial. If you have 100 people with the same educational background and same experience and same general worldview, you're going to run into problems that someone elsewhere has already solved and would tell you about, if only you'd ask, and none of those 100 people are going to be of any use. Age, gender, cultural background, previous work experience, field of education, etc... you need to have a good mix not for the sake of appearances, or because it's a good thing to support marginalized groups (though it is), but because you can spot problems and then solve them much, much more effectively.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I feel like maybe because I had an unusual trajectory with respect to software engineering, maybe I just don't think about things in the same way. But while I occasionally like reinventing the wheel for fun, my usual go-to is to find an existing solution, and only implement my own if it doesn't exist, or it exists but has a bad license/is too pricey, or if it exists but is different enough to warrant a more suitable reimplementation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

A lot of it, to me at least, is just trying to come up with shiny new unneeded ways of doing poo poo that worked perfectly fine just the way it was and has for several decades. There's a lot of poo poo that's gotten broken on my cars that would ordinarily be really easy to fix except for some reason it has to be super high tech and "cool", for lack of a better term.

Looking at you broken hatchback that I can't afford to fix. I don't even like digitial inputs on my radio since the god damned knob I used to turn was actually much faster. Not that I listen to the radio that much but still.

Bascially, everything that Motronic said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, it very much reeks of startup/entrepreneur brain where you assume that literally everyone else is just too stuck in their ways and afraid to innovate, only to run headfirst into hundreds of problems that literally everyone else has already encountered and solved before. It's doubly funny that it seems to happen in a software context. Basically the first thing I learned in practical development was: "No matter what you're trying to do, somebody else likely already tried it, and probably did it better than you would. Do your loving research and don't waste your time on solved problems".

move fast and break fingers