Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I put my taskbar at the top because most of your mousing is on the top half of the screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

quote:

"When you think about having the taskbar on the right or the left, all of a sudden the reflow and the work that all of the apps have to do to be able to understand the environment is just huge."

What the gently caress are apps doing that they need to understand where the task bar is? They exist in a window. The window can be arbitrarily resized. The task bar is literally outside of their context.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

isndl posted:

What the gently caress are apps doing that they need to understand where the task bar is? They exist in a window. The window can be arbitrarily resized. The task bar is literally outside of their context.

That's because that answer is complete bullshit. StartAllBack lets you put the Windows 11 taskbar on the sides anyway, and everything continues to work just fine. And afaik that is the project of a single dude, so it's not like he's making adjustments to help every single app out there handle this unbearable burden.

But yeah, if you do any productivity work on your machine at all, Windows 11's multitasking snapping options and the window persistence on sleep/restart/changing what monitors are plugged in is undeniably incredible. There are definitely plenty of annoying changes, but they pale in comparison. Taking the free upgrade and then paying StartAllBack a whopping $5 to fix the minor taskbar and start menu issues is absolutely the way to go. Anyone choosing to suffer Windows 10's bullshit for the sake of some grognard principle is absolutely mental imo. The only fixes I've had to put in place were EarTrumpet and StartAllBack, and now it works almost how I would ideally want it to.

Now if I can only find a utility to give me the loving system tray on all monitors...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Unsinkabear posted:

That's because that answer is complete bullshit. StartAllBack lets you put the Windows 11 taskbar on the sides anyway, and everything continues to work just fine. And afaik that is the project of a single dude, so it's not like he's making adjustments to help every single app out there handle this unbearable burden.

But yeah, if you do any productivity work on your machine at all, Windows 11's multitasking snapping options and the window persistence on sleep/restart/changing what monitors are plugged in is undeniably incredible. There are definitely plenty of annoying changes, but they pale in comparison. Taking the free upgrade and then paying StartAllBack a whopping $5 to fix the minor taskbar and start menu issues is absolutely the way to go. Anyone choosing to suffer Windows 10's bullshit for the sake of some grognard principle is absolutely mental imo. The only fixes I've had to put in place were EarTrumpet and StartAllBack, and now it works almost how I would ideally want it to.

Now if I can only find a utility to give me the loving system tray on all monitors...

$5 spend happening right now, thanks for the heads up!

Also I thought being pissed at the taskbar lock was a meme, but I guess I'm desensitised by how loving aggressively archaic my profession is. I had a person get semi annoyed at me today that I wasn't deeply impressed they can take an email scan of a document instead of a wet signature document as if that is some kind of 'and another thing' from a 2003 Apple keynote.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

isndl posted:

And those same apps running on windows 10 magically are able to handle the taskbar on any edge of the screen just fine. That person’s explanation is quite honestly insulting.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Josh Lyman posted:

I put my taskbar at the top because most of your mousing is on the top half of the screen

It is after you do that.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

ILikeVoltron posted:

All hail single ultrawide monitors! No other display needed (imho)

i did this move with the gigabyte 30" 4k. sometimes i think i shoulda done an UW but less pixels.......

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

beuges posted:

And those same apps running on windows 10 magically are able to handle the taskbar on any edge of the screen just fine. That person’s explanation is quite honestly insulting.
I don’t know about left/right but there are definitely applications that will default to the top of the screen with a top taskbar. It’s annoying to move them since the part you click and drag is under the taskbar.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Microsoft posted:

[ ] Tabbed browsing in Explorer
[ ] Color management at the desktop
[x] Cementing the taskbar to the bottom of the screen so applications know where the it is

Good job, multi-billion dollar corporation. You really nailed your users' priorities with this one.

I'm glad to see that it wasn't just me losing my poo poo over a feature others may have not have cared about one when I first encountered it. Whoever made that decision should be forced to do web development work on one of the many 16:9 1080p laptops that still make up at least 95% of the market. Once the taskbar, browser controls, and developer console all take their angel's share, you're left with about as much visibility as Geordi LaForge in a modern Camaro. Moving the taskbar to one side makes this at least a little more bearable. And it's still super beneficial on 16:10 screens as well.

I was originally opposed on principle of using a whole shell replacement as a solution to the only major dealbreaker I have in Windows 11, but StartAllBack does such a good job of replicating the stock UI that I don't care as much.

beuges posted:

Even Windows 11 could do it up until last year, even if it took a registry edit to accomplish, but they went out of their way to remove it. Microsoft isn't just being complacent anymore, now they're actively hostile against their users.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 22, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

champagne posting posted:

What do you do with 5-7 windows at a time?
remember his license plate number

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Needed something for this big empty wall next to my computer

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

Was more monitors not an option?

j/k looks rad

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TheDK posted:

j/k looks rad

I see 4 great locations for additional monitors.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Get a keyboard tray and put a monitor on it

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

TheDK posted:

j/k looks rad

I could definitely use another monitor!! I'm making due with what I have currently however. Maybe a monitor above.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

What the gently caress is that luminous orb on the left? I want a tiny solar eclipse in my office too

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

What the gently caress is that luminous orb on the left? I want a tiny solar eclipse in my office too

https://www.amazon.com/Kira-Home-In...pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Hand Applied Golden Flakes

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

High End Leather Design

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

quote:

Prop 65 Harm: cancer, birth defects and/or other reproductive harm

:thunk:

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

"Out of this world"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

isn't it quicker to list products that don't have that prop65 disclaimer, whenever i look at american stores it seems to be everywhere

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I believe it's a California-specific thing, which means if it's available for purchase there, then you have to state the warning. And it's easier to just include the warnings in one listing, instead of creating one for California and another for everywhere else

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

repiv posted:

isn't it quicker to list products that don't have that prop65 disclaimer, whenever i look at american stores it seems to be everywhere

Usually yeah. Prop 65 was "undermined" very early on by broadening its coverage so widely as to make the warning useless. Great for companies since they're less likely to get caught putting actual carcinogens in; not great for consumers who are working with worse info than if it was done right.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
It could be worse

Dollar store products commonly tested positive for toxic chemicals

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
I mean, in this case it's pretty clear and not a big deal... the listing says the warning is for lead, which is definitely from the included LED.

Unless Hand Applied Golden Flakes are also toxic.

alo
May 1, 2005

Actually if I had to guess, the power cord has lead in it.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Our pocket office has become my wfh cave over the past couple years.

Work Dell Latitude folded backward on a vivo laptop holder on the left, iPad for music and these dead forums in the middle, Xbox S for boring meetings behind the generic 16” screen on the right.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

After years of looking for a nicer chair I caved in and bought a (used) Aeron and now I feel like my setup is complete. Well, I'm still waiting for my actual deskmat (a group buy supposed to ship later this year) but this one's close enough.

You can probably guess from the astro-turf behind my desk that the room is more home gym than office.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

CordlessPen posted:

After years of looking for a nicer chair I caved in and bought a (used) Aeron and now I feel like my setup is complete. Well, I'm still waiting for my actual deskmat (a group buy supposed to ship later this year) but this one's close enough.

You can probably guess from the astro-turf behind my desk that the room is more home gym than office.
How much/where did you get the used Aeron? I've been looking periodically on FB marketplace and all the Aerons are either overpriced or look run down.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

You can try Madison seating

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Photex posted:

You can try Madison seating

The prices (without shipping) are surprisingly good. I picked mine up from an office furniture distributor for $450 and figured it was a good deal. Turns out the one I got is incredibly old (at least 15 years old by my estimates) but regardless it still has great support and I never feel cramped or fatigued from sitting, like I did in some of the $60 chairs I've had over the years.

It is starting to deteriorate though, with a pad beneath the front of the seat beginning to disintegrate, and it collects dust unlike anything else.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I grabbed a Leap from a failed startup, good investment (from a bad investment).

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

How'd you find it?

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Josh Lyman posted:

How much/where did you get the used Aeron? I've been looking periodically on FB marketplace and all the Aerons are either overpriced or look run down.

I did get it from FB Marketplace and it may have been overpriced (AND a bit run down). Over the years I've seen plenty of size B for $5-600 CDN but they never had size C, so when I found one I paid 700$ for it because I didn't want to risk haggling and losing the chair. It's grey when I'd have preferred black and it shows its age a bit but it's so much nicer than my old racing/gamer chair that I don't mind. And after a bit of cleaning and oiling it still looks pretty good and all the adjustments work well.

And maybe (probably) it's because I'm used to garbage but the casters are so smooth!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

How'd you find it?

Craigslist I think. It was probably close to 8 years ago and it still looks new. Quite happy with it though it lacks the Aeron wow factor.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I got my leap V2 from an online scratch and dent store I found on goggle for like a third price. I literally could not find any damage so I dunno maybe it's stolen.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Charles Leclerc posted:

Ah yeah, that other thing about Windows 11...

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-explains-why-you-cant-move-windows-11-taskbar

People on the internet were/are very mad about it.

The Venn diagram of people complaining about this and people blocking telemetry is a circle. Witness:

”Some MS PM” posted:

She continued, citing the fact that the feature is not in high demand.

"And when you look at the data, while we know there is a set of people that love it that way and, like, really appreciate it, we also recognize that this set of users is really small compared to the set of other folks that are asking for other features. So, at the moment, we are continuing to focus on things that I hear more pain around."

The ability to be able to move the Taskbar is one of the most-requested features in the Feedback Hub, so Roth's claim is likely based on telemetry gathered by Microsoft or other data.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I got my leap V2 from an online scratch and dent store I found on goggle for like a third price. I literally could not find any damage so I dunno maybe it's stolen.

I was at a Goodwill last week, glanced over and saw what looked like an Aeron, thinking it was a knock-off. Checked the bottom, official sticker. They had 2 bucks on it. I got it home, turns out it's a 2014 Mirra 2.

It's a pretty comfy chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Koskun posted:

I was at a Goodwill last week, glanced over and saw what looked like an Aeron, thinking it was a knock-off. Checked the bottom, official sticker. They had 2 bucks on it. I got it home, turns out it's a 2014 Mirra 2.

It's a pretty comfy chair.

straight into my veins