Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Agreed posted:

Metro Exodus Enhanced is so good. I hope S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 is like that, but, you know, stalker-y.

I wouldn't count on Stalker 2 ever existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

buglord posted:

Speaking of selling GPUs, how do I give a buyer confidence that my RTX 3070 wasn’t used for mining and has the wear and tear of a card that belonged to one owner for 2 years? Is there any way to demonstrate that or is it just a trust thing?

I don't think there is much you can do aside from posting a picture of it in your gaming PC or something.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

buglord posted:

Speaking of selling GPUs, how do I give a buyer confidence that my RTX 3070 wasn’t used for mining and has the wear and tear of a card that belonged to one owner for 2 years? Is there any way to demonstrate that or is it just a trust thing?

I think it's mostly an honor thing, if you clean it pretty well and have the original box those are usually a bonus.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have a feeling that, since the new NVIDIA GPUs are so expensive they're not going to suppress the 3000 series GPUs' price very much.

Before it was like "why spend $600 on a 2-year-old GPU when you can get a new one for $700" now it's like "the new one is $1200" so paying near MSRP for an old GPU is very valid

Also, a responsibly (lol) used mining card will probably be less hosed up than a gamer's card over the same time period apparently.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-geforce-cards-have-issues-after-windows-11-2022-(22h2)-update.html

Hold off on updating windows if you haven't already, I guess.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

cheesetriangles posted:

I wouldn't count on Stalker 2 ever existing.

A man can hope!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I was gonna ask. Yesterday I booted Valhalla and was getting 20fps less than usual, despite GPU usage being high. I was starting to worry something was wrong with my card.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Agreed posted:

A man can hope!

they moved development to czechia, and a couple of weeks ago they re-asserted that they're still on track for the new release window (2023)

we'll see i guess

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Already updated, d'oh

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
https://youtu.be/p-VCHOp9PKw

Nothing really new of substance. I get the impression from Steve that he thinks EVGA is gonna try hanging on. EVGA is offering refunds to people who bought 10 year warranties “recently”. I’m assuming this is at the very least as early as when EVGA made the decision in private to pull out earlier in the year, but details are unclear. Looks like PSUs and motherboards are their bread and butter now?

Oh, and they didn’t sign anything with NVIDIA as far as non-compete contracts go. They were extra loud on saying that part.

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 23, 2022

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Haven't been by this thread since the announcement, but I'm thinking EVGA CEO got the early units in and saw this was going to be the worst generation since the FX blow-dryer. Great time to haggle for better terms.

My 3070ti is just fine for what I do (5-8 year old games) so I don't care about the 40-series but I think ib the future I'll have to see what the best performer is for the PSU and go from there. My 750W is a Platinum model from a great run of manufacturing, and I'm not abandoning it for some flaky modern PSU in just a few years when it should reliably work for ages. There needs to be some sort of efficiency gain period rather than chasing performance benchmarks.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

If we're even allowed to, thanks for the "mandatory' updates Microsoft

Craptacular! posted:

Haven't been by this thread since the announcement, but I'm thinking EVGA CEO got the early units in and saw this was going to be the worst generation since the FX blow-dryer. Great time to haggle for better terms.

My 3070ti is just fine for what I do (5-8 year old games) so I don't care about the 40-series but I think ib the future I'll have to see what the best performer is for the PSU and go from there. My 750W is a Platinum model from a great run of manufacturing, and I'm not abandoning it for some flaky modern PSU in just a few years when it should reliably work for ages. There needs to be some sort of efficiency gain period rather than chasing performance benchmarks.

That's what the lower end is for, though? Look at the 3060Ti, for example. Better performance than the 1080Ti but at 50W lower TDP. Sure, it's been pushed down the stack, but that shouldn't matter. Likely in the next generation once the whales bite on the top end, they'll release the lower end parts that have the same performance but at lower power usage (though as for price, who knows?)

Shipon fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 23, 2022

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I've got a couple of 1000w EVGA PSUs and i'm not really worried at all even if they're not around anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The 22H2 driver fix is already live: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-releases-geforce-experience-3-26-beta-with-support-for-rtx-40-series

Curiously, this is also the 40-series driver. I guess they're pushing the whole thing early to fix the 22H2 issues.

edit: Actually, it's just a geforce experience update, but it supposedly still fixes the issues?

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 23, 2022

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Apparently the 5700 XT is going for less than $200 on ebay these days, which is a pretty great deal for a card that's about on par with the 2070 Super. Though pretty much all of those are going to be ex-mining GPUs since that was one of the most efficient mining cards, and I'm not sure what kind of condition mined-on 5700 XTs are typically in.

edit: geez, there are a lot of listings for $160 - $190. Ridiculous that this card was over $1000 last year.

I have a legitimate non-mining 5700 XT that I’m going to sell, so maybe I’ll try $200.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

infraboy posted:

Got 3090s over here for 600$, tempting if it was maybe 2 months ago.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sop/7517239320.html

poo poo is it really going to be possible to get 3090s for around $500-600? That's nuts, hopefully it's not a just a scam or soemething

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The 22H2 driver fix is already live: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-releases-geforce-experience-3-26-beta-with-support-for-rtx-40-series

Curiously, this is also the 40-series driver. I guess they're pushing the whole thing early to fix the 22H2 issues.

edit: Actually, it's just a geforce experience update, but it supposedly still fixes the issues?

Never install the Geforce Experience malware and avoid these kinds of issues.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

nvm - mixed up which of the 6-series are rdna2 cards. sleep would help.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 23, 2022

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

CoolCab posted:

if they are at all serious about moving into more of the GPU market it's a major opportunity imo, i can see parallels to the situation they were with intel a few years ago. incumbent is massive and dominant but because of that incredibly arrogant and lets the upstart have enough oxygen to lose market share. but i legit don't know if they care.

I think the last part is the important bit: I don't really think AMD actually cares right now. Why would they? They're making an enormous amount more per mm2 of wafer making datacenter CPUs, and there's no indication that they're anywhere near saturating that market. So why would they make a hard push in the dGPU market when doing so would functionally cost them money?

I expect they'll take this NVidia pricing as a gift and simply slot in ever so slightly below NVidia's cards on a price:performance basis. That keeps the mind-share of AMD being "a better deal" while also allowing them to ride NVidia's setting the stage to higher per-unit profits. As long as they produce just enough cards that people remember AMD exists, preferably enough to make the GPU side of the house at least a net-zero org, they're likely to call it a day. Certainly no need for them to overproduce and drive costs for consumers down when your only competitor is giving you an excuse to drive profits up.

If and when their datacenter line starts lagging, maybe then we'll see them push harder. But for now I can't think of a reason for them to actually do so.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Weren't AMD one of the ones asking to scale back their TSMC order? And TSMC is playing hardball? If true, then this isn't a thing where "every gpu could be multiple Zen 4 CCDs" since they may already be producing as many of those as they think they can sell.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Weren't AMD one of the ones asking to scale back their TSMC order? And TSMC is playing hardball? If true, then this isn't a thing where "every gpu could be multiple Zen 4 CCDs" since they may already be producing as many of those as they think they can sell.

They were reported to have scaled back their 7nm and 6nm orders, by about 20,000 wafers, but left their 5nm order intact.

7nm encompasses 5000-series CPU dies, PS5 and Xbox SoCs, and RDNA2

6mm encompasses 6000-series APUs, and Zen 4 I/O die. Also rumored the RDNA3 I/O die. AMD also moved PS5 chip production to this node as well.

Zen 4 chiplets and rumored RDNA3 chiplets are slated to be 5nm.

So if anything, AMD seems to have made the most of their cuts.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 23, 2022

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
Seriously what is the 5090 or 6090 going to be like at this rate? Is a separate enclosure/PSU actually something that might happen? Is SLI gonna come back? Or some kinda chiplet thing that’ll let them reduce the overall size? Seems like we are seriously approaching the limit of what can reasonably fit in a computer case

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lackmaster posted:

Seriously what is the 5090 or 6090 going to be like at this rate? Is a separate enclosure/PSU actually something that might happen? Is SLI gonna come back? Or some kinda chiplet thing that’ll let them reduce the overall size? Seems like we are seriously approaching the limit of what can reasonably fit in a computer case

eGPUs return but out of design necessity this time.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Lackmaster posted:

There won't be a 50xx or 60xx that an average goon can afford at the way prices in chips and shipping are unfolding tbh.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I way ahead of you and I’m sticking to windows 10.

Every other version of windows is poo poo.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

spunkshui posted:

I way ahead of you and I’m sticking to windows 10.

Every other version of windows is poo poo.

What about Windows 7
What about Windows XP
What about Windows 98 SE

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Lackmaster posted:

I've been saying for years that I expect a GPU physical formfactor change at some point because pretending these things are standard addin cards like a fuckin network adapter is just insanity at this point. Only problem is riser cables for PCIe > 3 are stupid expensive so I have no idea how that part would work. Motherboard gains a special "GPU slot" that you use to plug in a giant box with flow-through fans like it's its own small server (with hopefully less OSHA-relevant audio levels) maybe?

Either way I expect an nvidia announcement that opens with "so we partnered with [pick a case manufacturer] and you can only get the RTX 6090 Edition in this specific case because nothing else can fit it, suck it, losers".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I only run Windows ME, the best version of Windows

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Mark my words GPU's are gonna become a separate console that you attach to your PC like a Sega 32x

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

i might end up going with an off-the-shelf AIO solution this gen

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

shrike82 posted:

i might end up going with an off-the-shelf AIO solution this gen

I had an EVGA 2080 Ti that had an AIO and it worked great. Maintained high clocks while staying quiet, and it all fit inside my mITX NCASE N1. I think its the logical move with the 3090.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

power crystals posted:

I've been saying for years that I expect a GPU physical formfactor change at some point because pretending these things are standard addin cards like a fuckin network adapter is just insanity at this point. Only problem is riser cables for PCIe > 3 are stupid expensive so I have no idea how that part would work. Motherboard gains a special "GPU slot" that you use to plug in a giant box with flow-through fans like it's its own small server (with hopefully less OSHA-relevant audio levels) maybe?

the physical solutions for that currently would be SAS (u.2) and oculink for an industrial solution. The industry isn’t as concerned with single device speed so idk if there are any x16 solutions? But I’m sure you could come to an agreement on a ganging arrangement of four connections.

But yeah GPUs have been a growing sore spot for ATX for two decades now.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 24, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So when will motherboards just have both a CPU socket and a GPU socket and you just buy two tower coolers?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

KillHour posted:

So when will motherboards just have both a CPU socket and a GPU socket and you just buy two tower coolers?

yeah can we just standardize something like the nvidia SXM modules so the GPU sits flush against the motherboard and you can just put a D15 on it

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

KillHour posted:

It feels like we're either going to end up going either in this direction, or in the NUC Extreme Compute Element direction where the CPU and RAM are on a separate PCIe board that slots in next to the GPU - but like,

this is starting to feel unsustainable

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

KillHour posted:

I think the problem with this was how to handle the GPU RAM. A combination of needing much larger motherboards and issues with longer trace lengths (and getting the GPU vendors to agree on a standard so you don't end up with "oh yeah this is my AMD-CPU-Intel-GPU board"). Otherwise yeah please bring this on.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
When is my entire computer going to be a giant MCM with power input and I/O ports hanging off it?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

An alternative would be that manufacturers start selling complete SoCs with CPU, GPU, and memory all on the same package. Have that plug into a backplane that allows the connection of other components. Install a fuckoff huge cooler on the compute board. I have not thought this through enough to know how you're supposed to connect everything else.

AMD already makes high-performance CPUs and GPUs. Nvidia is getting into the CPU game (albeit with arm) while Intel is getting into the GPU game. Soon, all three will be theoretically capable of doing this, and the benefits of fully integrated SoCs are quite apparent by now. All that needs to happen is a standard to be established, and maybe it could happen? Or would nobody want to give up the modularity of the current ATX standard, even if it means worse performance overall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
We'll all be on Apple or Apple-like devices someday, which sounds kind of terrible in some ways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFQ3LkVF5sM