Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I took piano lessons for 6 months when I was like 8 or 9 from some ancient lady (she was probably 30) I still remember the bass clef by starting at the bottom and going up

On the lines- Good Boys Do Fine Always

In the spaces - All Cows Eat Grass

I still think of these every time I try to read music.

I remember treble is that the spaces spell FACE, and the lines were Every Good Boy Does Fine

Right? I dunno for sure I’ve never really sight read treble clef since then?

Mnemonics work (unless I’ve screwed this up)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

My favorite is guitar strings, Eddie Ate Dynamite, Good Bye Eddie

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'm not much of a mnemonic person (I have to think too long on how a word is spelt) but they do help. I only really like battle ends and down goes charles' father/father charles goes down and ends battle for accidentals/circle of fifths.

What I do like is stuff like this: https://www.musictheory.net/exercises/note

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Eddie Ate Dynamite, Good

Fixed for bass

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Looks Good to me!

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

My favorite is guitar strings, Eddie Ate Dynamite, Good Bye Eddie

Easter Bunny Gets Drunk At Easter

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

User Error posted:

Easter Bunny Gets Drunk At Easter

I bet he does, now I'll never forget that. Thanks!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Brought the Precision in to get setup after the Hipshot bridge. I love the colour in natural light - like a really oxidized Olympic white without smelling like a smokey bar. It’s a great feeling bass that’s easily a pound or so lighter than my Japanese Geddy.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I really like that color

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
This seems as good a place as any to ask this.

Can anyone indentify this bass? This is a from a 1975 video.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I know poo poo about old basses but that looks custom/modified to me. Are those Burns Tri-sonic pickups in there or something else, does anyone know? And of course, who's the band/where's the video from?

Edit: I'm locking in my guess that it's some flavor of Burns Sonic bass that's been modified to look like bites have been taken out of it (like the lower left on this ad off GIS). Again I know nothing so take with a big heap o' salt.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 9, 2022

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Turbinosamente posted:

I know poo poo about old basses but that looks custom/modified to me. Are those Burns Tri-sonic pickups in there or something else, does anyone know? And of course, who's the band/where's the video from?

Edit: I'm locking in my guess that it's some flavor of Burns Sonic bass that's been modified to look like bites have been taken out of it (like the lower left on this ad off GIS). Again I know nothing so take with a big heap o' salt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjtD8A-MWBc

Jigsaw - "Sky High".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You don't tend to see alot of modified basses anymore

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Neat song, apparently made for an action kung fu flick of the time starring George Lazenby, so that explains why it sounds like 70s James Bond in the beginning. Apparently this question has come up on the talkbass forums before and they also say it's a modified Burns bass. Makes sense as the band's British, and there's even a pic where the top knob hasn't been lost yet:

I still say modified Burns Vista Sonic painted white because the top of the pickguard matches in shape, in the video you can barely make out the screw holes for the missing bridge cover plate, and there's a deep enough cut in on the lower horn portion of the pickguard to take out the logo.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Shageletic posted:

You don't tend to see alot of modified basses anymore

Lots of bespoke ones though

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Turbinosamente posted:

Neat song, apparently made for an action kung fu flick of the time starring George Lazenby, so that explains why it sounds like 70s James Bond in the beginning.
Hey, I've seen that movie! It's pretty fun, and a great example of 70's Australian action movies. Definitely recommended. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_from_Hong_Kong

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Thanks to all for the replies.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Been playing a few outdoor events/festivals lately, which means FULLLL STAAAAACK! I haven't played through my full rig (410+115) since before COVID :feelsgood:

I'd still like to grab a 212, for gigs where I don't even want to lug the 410 out... but man I love feeling all that air move behind me.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Looks like Fender is expanding the Aerodyne line. MIJ, no more P/J though...

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Ugh, aside from having binding these look like the cheap Squier II Precision Basses from the 80s.

I always thought the original Aerodynes were pretty neat, IIRC Fender didn't have much in the way of PJ selection at the time and they looked different enough than the regular Jazz bass they seemed a little special. Plus they were good enough for Duff McKagan!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAgvQBaMn9A

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Scarf posted:

Looks like Fender is expanding the Aerodyne line. MIJ, no more P/J though...

oh yes, now this is something for a ska band if i've ever seen it

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
You should pick it up, then

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Captain Splendid posted:

You should pick it up, then

:golfclap:

I wish fender would just make an offset PJ that’s not mustang sized.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That baby blue is incredible

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
When are they expected to hit stores? I'd want to try it out against a regular jazz to see, but looks really nice.

Otherwise, good to see pastels are coming back, here is a powder blue pre-2018 Stringray

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
Hi gang. I keep trying to tackle things that are beyond my skill level. I live alone in the woods and have no friends so I’d appreciate any feedback. Phone recording so the room is captured and doesn’t sound great. Certainly won’t sound great on your big systems but seems to be fine on the home, earbuds, car, etc. at least intelligible “enough”.

It’s always been a bit painful for me to play in positions 1-3 and I tried this higher up but forcing myself to play toward the headstock really does make a big tone difference. Do my hands look painfully positioned? Is my timing bad? My time feel? Anything at all. Although saying the audio sucks while valid won’t really improve the technique of the fingers. I appreciate it. I’d much rather get feedback from y’all than to have to suffer through Reddit or YouTube. Tia.

Cover is Oliver-Big city. Pretty sure it’s a very well programmed bassline . But had top of his game Fred Falke vibes who I love.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1enGEiMlHVD6UKEYMF0gVaJGDwacHvW2b/view?usp=drivesdk

Basic Poster fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 24, 2022

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That is a cool bass line, and I feel like you really kept the groove going nicely. Everything sounded pretty cohesive to me. Nicely done IMO.

I’m not the most technically savvy musician myself, so I’ll defer to others who are better versed there.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

nitsuga posted:

That is a cool bass line, and I feel like you really kept the groove going nicely. Everything sounded pretty cohesive to me. Nicely done IMO.

I’m not the most technically savvy musician myself, so I’ll defer to others who are better versed there.

Thank you very much for the feedback. Most folks aren’t versed musicians so the fact that it sounded passable to anyone especially a thread reader is high praise. Very much appreciated.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Basic Poster posted:

Hi gang. I keep trying to tackle things that are beyond my skill level. I live alone in the woods and have no friends so I’d appreciate any feedback. Phone recording so the room is captured and doesn’t sound great. Certainly won’t sound great on your big systems but seems to be fine on the home, earbuds, car, etc. at least intelligible “enough”.

It’s always been a bit painful for me to play in positions 1-3 and I tried this higher up but forcing myself to play toward the headstock really does make a big tone difference. Do my hands look painfully positioned? Is my timing bad? My time feel? Anything at all. Although saying the audio sucks while valid won’t really improve the technique of the fingers. I appreciate it. I’d much rather get feedback from y’all than to have to suffer through Reddit or YouTube. Tia.

Cover is Oliver-Big city. Pretty sure it’s a very well programmed bassline . But had top of his game Fred Falke vibes who I love.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1enGEiMlHVD6UKEYMF0gVaJGDwacHvW2b/view?usp=drivesdk

your time is fine, but some of the articulation seems a little bit looser than it should be for this style. some of that might be the phone recording, but try to focus on having a more consistent attack on your notes - some of the busier passages and legato stuff is slurred more than it should be. it's easier to get the hyper-consistent articulation if you slam a hotter signal into a fairly aggressive compressor, it's easier to miss the target window when you have more dynamic range available.

i was resistant to compression for a long time because i valued dynamic range so much playing live, but that was foolish of me. it's a really great tool for not taking up too much of the mix, especially when you play busier lines.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

creamcorn posted:

your time is fine, but some of the articulation seems a little bit looser than it should be for this style. some of that might be the phone recording, but try to focus on having a more consistent attack on your notes - some of the busier passages and legato stuff is slurred more than it should be. it's easier to get the hyper-consistent articulation if you slam a hotter signal into a fairly aggressive compressor, it's easier to miss the target window when you have more dynamic range available.

i was resistant to compression for a long time because i valued dynamic range so much playing live, but that was foolish of me. it's a really great tool for not taking up too much of the mix, especially when you play busier lines.

Definitely loose for this style. I had to slow it down but 20 bpm just to get close! This is at the published bpm though. I do have an empress compressor but not in this recording. I went into the computer with some stock NI guitar rig 6 patch that had a compressor in but hardly on at all. I do definitely need to work on the articulation for sure. I love a compressor but it’s also easy to hide behind. Should definitely slow it back down and get the articulation correct. Thanks for the reminder. Always slower for longer than I think is appropriate!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

So I recently got a classy tuxedo stingray, and it’s great, but I noticed one odd thing about it. I’m not sure if this is normal or not, but the string spacing is a bit weird - the middle two strings are closer together than they are to the outer strings, and the saddles are offset a bit. Is this expected? If not, anything I need to do to fix it?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

I can’t find it right now, but there’s a site that goes over all the EBMM bridge configurations over the years. But I did find a picture of my old SUB and the saddles were not configured like that.

The strings all pass on the left side of the screw. It’s possible on yours someone took it apart and put the saddles through the string holes.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
It looks like the E is way too far off the edge of the fretboard. Would agree the E and A need to have the strings through the hole the screw is in, and vice versa.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Echoing the above posters, check the bridge saddle screws are in the right position. Failing that see if the centre of the neck aligns with the centre of the bridge.

E: looks like the saddle is flipped backwards on the EA strings, just flip them over and use the other hole like the 3 posted images here

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 25, 2022

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Thanks all, looks like it will be really simple to take care of when I change strings. I think this must be the site with all the bridge info (and everything else): http://www.musicmanbass.global/bridges-pre-eb-eb/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

I think the bass line would be instantly improved by playing all notes staccato instead of holding out the ones you do. Maybe keep the last slide. That goes along with the articulation comments above.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You seem like an alright player but man that is a pretty boring bass groove to me (yeah def sounds pre programmed). No room for improvisation or changing dynamics or adding your sound into it.

Also it's begging for some slapping. Slapping is the worst that's why you have to do it lol.

E: Good tone tho!

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

Bottom Liner posted:

I think the bass line would be instantly improved by playing all notes staccato instead of holding out the ones you do. Maybe keep the last slide. That goes along with the articulation comments above.

Totally agreed and thank you for the feedback. Generally I try to get as close to the original as I can in order to glean whatever things I can from the piece because I like it, but my articulation definitely needs some work so thanks for pointing that out. I’ll take it back down to 100 bpm and work on that. Good to be reminded to do so.

Shageletic posted:

You seem like an alright player but man that is a pretty boring bass groove to me (yeah def sounds pre programmed). No room for improvisation or changing dynamics or adding your sound into it.

Also it's begging for some slapping. Slapping is the worst that's why you have to do it lol.

E: Good tone tho!

Thank you. I definitely consider myself an “alright player” at best. I have a pretty narrow set of styles that I care to spend time with but living in the PNW it’s hard to find a good instructor who can help me improve in that direction. I end up just reaching out for remote stuff for people online. Structurally I think you could easily call the bass line boring. It’s basically just two 8 bar phrases that share one fill. So 7 fills total in the form of ABA (breakdown) BA. But I like the artists work and the speed and timing of the sixteenth note syncopation with the ghost notes it has was something to stretch for. If I could snap my fingers and be like any bassist it would probably be Bernard Edwards, so this I felt was in the general vicinity.

I agree about slapping as well. It is so drat hard for me to get (bad mutes, missing strings, inconsistent attack, bad right hand speed). If you know of any online guys that are real good at it I’d love any recommendations (those the will do 1v1…I’ve finished YouTube on the topic and hasn’t done much for me). I know I’m doing many things wrong, I’m just not sure what they are or how to practice my way out of them.

Thank you both for the feedback. Very constructive and taken very seriously.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hell yeah Bernard Edward's. My fav bassist as well. Learning Chic and Sister Sledge and the song I'm Coming Up more than anything is responsible for my playing style. I had the chance to do that by starting a cover band that the rest of the band didn't know was really about getting the chance to play enough amazing bass lines that I'd be a better player.

But I guess I take it for granted being in a place like NYC where you can't help but trip over other musicians. Do you try covering classic 70s and funk poo poo as well? There's no better teacher (other than playing live and with an irate drummer).

E: I never used online guys. Along with the cover band spent 4 years sitting across from a similarily irate bass teacher. Again, I'm lucky that I got to have the chance with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've been playing Edwards bass lines from I Want Your Love for six years now and yeah there's some sharp 16ths in there but there's such a variety of playing styles, real languid pulls then almost metal style speed. It's such a fun (and relatively) easy way to tackle a wide swathe of techniques. But it also allows you to play, and you can see Edwards do the same, changing up his style based on what live vid you watched.

Btw his last performance in Japan is such a show esp when you find out the backstory....