Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Guy Axlerod posted:

I'm pretty sure op is dealing with Sony playstation devkits so they probably can't virtualize this. My friend is a solo dev and complained about the static IP requirement.

Then, you deffo don't want to work with split tunneling and should move the work PC\Laptop and said "proprietary hardware with hard network rules" behind something like the meraki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

If it’s Sony devkits there are definitely ways. I’m not really comfortable talking about it publicly due to NDAs and poo poo. If it’s this PM me and I can see if I can point you in the right direction.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.
Yeah I'm just trying to be extra careful. I did just get some additional info since stuff did change due to the pandemic and I don't have to go nearly as nuts over the hardware. I'll still need a VPN for the debugging stuff but that opens up a lot more doors for me. Thanks for the tailscale suggestions, been reading up on it and sounds like it'll make setting this up much less a pain.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
So, we've all got these clients coming off of IMAP service on, like, BlueHost, and want a more reliable registrar and name servers once we get their mail host to GW or O365...

Who do you all use/recommend? My local contact is big on Powweb but I am not versed in the differences.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

If you're an MSP then look at who's gonna give you a good deal. I know at my old company we used godaddy because we could resell their SSL certificates easily somehow. IDK the details. I am not recommending godaddy.

Free tier cloudflare is good enough for the kind of clients that come off of IMAP on bluehost. I know cloudflare is generally considered Not Good for a variety of reasons but they're reliable and easy to use and well-known.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

use azure dns or route53 for name servers, use any of the dozen registrar recommendations that will be forthcoming

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gandi have a great reseller programme, but agree with putting DNS zones into Route 53 or Azure, just so that domain transfers become super easy without having to migrate a bunch of records into some poo poo interface.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I recently switched from hosting DNS on-prem to CloudNS and their interface is pretty decent. I don't have any domains registered with them but it looks easy enough to manage, and they do SSLs too

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
JFC I need a strong drink.

Site manager X has this weird fetish where he insists new hires hit the ground running in the extreme. This means logging in to their laptops, set up loving gmail etc. for them, log into unix accounts, check out SW, build it for them. He's one step away from preheating their loving office chair and adding sugar to their coffee.

Then, quelle surprise, the next time the hire needs to do a rebuild of the software he's completely lost because he's never done it before.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What software would you use to do a automated full image backup to NAS?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

codo27 posted:

What software would you use to do a automated full image backup to NAS?

Depends what fits your needs, but I set one machine up with Macrium reflect workstation. I think it was $75 for the license. I set it up with a windows "server" that's running Windows 7 on a haswell dell optiplex (I was not responsible for setting it up or hardware choice, but I wanted to get them a solution to replace it if something bad happened). I figured it makes sense for a machine we may want to replace rapidly and can't interfere with much. Macrium has rescue boot media for dealing with images to disk if needed, but I'd probably just use a USB 3 adapter to my laptop to write it back if I needed to.

Oh, and macrium has a mode for grandparent/parent/child (their terminology afaik) style backups where it does a full one monthly and the others are just mods to that full image that are weekly and daily. On the machine I mentioned it looks like the full backups are ~78GB and the weekly and daily are 1-2GB so far.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
We use veeam but the licensing is confusing.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Rick posted:

We use veeam but the licensing is confusing.

You have been visited by the blessed private equity angle...angel. I will tolerate veeams licensing because it has consistently worked (and, more importantly, restored) for years. The game has changed a bit and I should take my blinders off to see whos the new game in town.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

incoherent posted:

You have been visited by the blessed private equity angle...angel. I will tolerate veeams licensing because it has consistently worked (and, more importantly, restored) for years. The game has changed a bit and I should take my blinders off to see whos the new game in town.

Datto is making some serious inroads.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
I didn't return to say thanks for the DNS/domain info. The people in these threads are just such a super resource, and I'm very grateful.

New query: A private K12 school needs to get away from a predatory phone system upgrade. Imagine thee campuses all in the same city, about 85 desk phones/extensions (classrooms), but only a few incoming lines.

I'm a fan of Verizon One Talk, but even their tiered pricing is too much. I am aware by association of services like Intermedia Unite and some other names like 3CX.

Who doesn't suck and doesn't cost $25 per phone/softphone/etc. the One Talk way?

I've disavowed ownership of the project but am still getting hit up for suggestions.

Suggestions? Thank you.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You get Teams Phone with faculty Office 365 A5 licenses, you can do a lot worse than doing that and finding an Operator Connect carrier partner to provide you with minutes.

You don't want to roll something yourself, Teams does all the emergency location stuff for you.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Silly Newbie posted:

Datto is making some serious inroads.

Hasn’t Datto been around longer than Veeam? I once took the bios battery on one of their appliances out to get past the bios password to find it running centos with the gnome desktop if I recall. Turned it into a really slow lab machine with a ton of hard disk space. This was years ago.

Fake edit: I googled it Veeam was founded in 2006 and Datto 2007

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 25, 2022

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

If the school is already a Microsoft shop Teams phones is probably the way to go, what you get for education pricing is great. If they're Google, it's still feasible but you risk splitting your productively suites and confusing the gently caress out of your faculty

I run 3CX at a few locations, it's very cost effective and easy to run. The CEO is a bit of a nutter. Solid product though for sure, would recommend for that size and use case.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

That is, of course, assuming you've got someone to run and maintain it. Not a full service thing like 8x8 or Ring, I think all of those providers are in the ~20-60$/mo price range

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I'm about to do 8x8 myself.

Would've done a Teams-only but I need to provide phone service to subtenants and with 8x8 I can just give them the 8x8 as a separate location and not give them m365 accounts.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Can anyone recommend a simple IDS for Linux? We're currently running AIDE, which seem to still be able to do the job, but I'm sure something has happened in that space since my predecessor set this up in 2011.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

bolind posted:

Can anyone recommend a simple IDS for Linux? We're currently running AIDE, which seem to still be able to do the job, but I'm sure something has happened in that space since my predecessor set this up in 2011.

Snort is the one to beat.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Anyone have a quick guide to setting up RDS correctly on 2016? I have a pair of servers with RDS half-installed, enough to put the CALs on there, but the previous guy installed Hyper-V and put 2012 on those, and set up Terminal Services on the VM servers. I'd like to pull this into the (barely) modern age with 2016 fully on RDS. I've already got the CALs I need, have those installed on the 'primary' server, but I want to make sure I'm, again, doing this correctly. I'm reading a lot in the Microsoft (here) but that's tons of info to filter through to do a basic set up.

e: As I posted this I realized I gave no real information. I don't have need for any compatibility apps, there's only about 3 or 4 programs that might be used (Might talk to the Office Manager about Office as well, but different story), and really don't have much need for specialized VMs. I think Dragon Recorder is the only software that will be using an external device, but we should be able to pass that through no issues.

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 22, 2022

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Desktop or remote apps? Single server deployment or proper separation between gateway, connection broker, license server, and session hosts?

I would encourage you to read the docs. It's all there. But this looks fine from a superficial read through https://www.slashadmin.co.uk/how-to-setup-a-single-server-rds-deployment-using-server-2016/

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 23, 2022

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Happiness Commando posted:

Desktop or remote apps? Single server deployment or proper separation between gateway, connection broker, license server, and session hosts?

I would encourage you to read the docs. It's all there. But this looks fine from a superficial read through https://www.slashadmin.co.uk/how-to-setup-a-single-server-rds-deployment-using-server-2016/

I have two physical servers set up for this, I could potentially add a third that is the primary DC and DNS server. It'd be mostly desktop vs remote app, but I could probably get it set as remoteapp. Reading through the docs, I get to a spot, get stuck for a bit then figure it out, then move on. Just want to make sure I'm getting it done at least somewhat properly.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Off the cuff, I would do two independent single server deployments and allocate users manually to load balance. Any reason why you're using physical servers?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Off the cuff, I would do two independent single server deployments and allocate users manually to load balance. Any reason why you're using physical servers?

I'm pretty sure that is how he has it set up currently, and they connect to the 2012 TS VMs via their IP directly. I just want to make sure that when I upgrade them to 2016 the users will still be able to connect.

That is what I took over. Pretty sure the previous guy hosed this place for money pretty hard. I haven't been able to glean what he charged them, but I'm pretty sure it was well over 50k and probably creeping closer to 75-100k. It was a Dell poweredge model that was modular. It's a 2U rack mountable, and had 4 physical servers in it. All 4 had Intel E5540 processors. All were bought used. The "array" and setup originall was each "server" had a pair of 2TB drives in RAID 1, except for the primary DB server which had 2 sets of drives in RAID 1. One was the "OS" and one was the "Data" drive, though the DB and software components are all over the loving place. The DB server was crawling, and taking 24 hours to back up to a 2TB toshiba USB drive. I ended up replacing the DB server's drive with SSDs (DCT I think was the model) which helped but isn't ideal.

With all that, I'm using 2 of the physical boxes as the servers for the RDS setup. The last box is the primary DC/LDAP/DNS server.

I'd love to take them off of that and have a single set up with a single bare-metal host with nothing but VM's on top, it'd make backing up a hell of a lot easier I would think, but again, server isn't my strong suit.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So they're pushing upgrades on the 28th, so I know this is a long shot, but is there anyone that could remote in and help finish up the setup for this on at least one of the servers so they can move forward this week while everyone is off? If so pm/email me your rate and (and username if you email) and I'll make sure you're not a complete loving troll, and I'll send a username/password and the info to log in to the one server specifically. I'll either be in-house watching your EVERY SINGLE MOVE or remote doing the SAME THING.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

The 2016 single server setup can be done by the wizard. Do it. I believe in you :colbert:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

The 2016 single server setup can be done by the wizard. Do it. I believe in you :colbert:

You know, I may have figured out why I was getting so goddamn confused.

I have 2 'physical' servers, Server A and server B. Server A contains the CALs and whatnot. Server B is a simple server. Both have HyperV and two virtual servers (C and D) that are 2012 R2. C is the VM on A, and D is the VM on B. I was thinking that somehow A controlled the sessions directly on C, whereas C is actually set up with it's own RDS (or Terminal Services in this case), has its own sessions etc, and just refers to A for licensing, and everything else is handled that way.

SO now I'm setting up server E (a VM on A now, C is off), and am using the wizard to set it up. So, E will point to A for licensing and handle everything else on its own.

If I'm being a loving idiot, let me know, but I think poo poo is starting to actually make sense now.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I would need a diagram to parse what you've just described, but having an RDS server use some other server as a license server is totally normal. I've never tried a single-server-except-for-the-license-server deployment, but it's certainly plausible.

It's best for your hyper V server to just be a hypervisor. Even if it holds your RDS VM, it doesn't / you don't want it to do any management at the deployment level. It just lets you run your VMs. So I'm curious why you are using a VM host as a license server, and/or if you have a plan to migrate it to a VM

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 27, 2022

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

I would need a diagram to parse what you've just described, but having an RDS server use some other server as a license server is totally normal. I've never tried a single-server-except-for-the-license-server deployment, but it's certainly plausible.

It's best for your hyper V server to just be a hypervisor. Even if it holds your RDS VM, it doesn't / you don't want it to do any management at the deployment level. It just lets you run your VMs. So I'm curious why you are using a VM host as a license server, and/or if you have a plan to migrate it to a VM

It's confusing as gently caress. The reason is because the idiot before me set it up this way.

Server A (Physical)
- RDS License plus some other RDS stuff that isn't set up
- HyperV
- - Server C
- - - Proper RDS configuration with the sessions and whatnot.
- - - Currently the server being migrated to 2016.

Server B (Physical)
- RDS Set up (not even halfway done)
- Some kind of hosed up network config that makes it impossible to work on remotely with the VM running.
- HyperV
- - Server D
- - - Currently 2012 using Terminal Services.

disk setup for these are poo poo (raid 1 because who knows "backup" or some poo poo)

I'm not sure if the 32gb RAM is really enough to house multiple VMs. I'm going to have to look to see if there's enough RAM slots, but was kind of half debating just pulling one of the physical servers out of commission, setting up the drives in RAID 10 (Don't really need the space, but may do 5). I don't even know if these tiny rear end motherboards have enough SATA slots for that. However, all in the future, just trying to get things working with what I have right now.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Based on my five plus years old memory of this stuff:

32 GB is fine probably if your workloads are smaller. Don’t go raid 5 on something like that, not worth it. 5 sucks.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm not sure if the 32gb RAM is really enough to house multiple VMs. .

I haven't used hyperv in a looong time, but I would reserve prob 4 gb for the hypervisor. Windows GUI is pretty painful with less than 8 gb, but I would still provision a license server with 4 gb and deal with it for the hour or 3 it takes to set up. That leaves 24 gb for your other vms. In the case of RDS, it depends on how many users you've got and what they're running.

Edit: don't use RAID5 unless you have modern, performant hardware and need the space. 10 is the way to go.

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 27, 2022

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

raid 5 might be ok on ssd's but never do it on spinny metal

unless you want to spend a holiday weekend dealing with a data recovery service because a second drive failed while rebuilding the array from the first drive failure and the backups were garbage because any company that is going to cheap out on drives and do raid 5 is also going to cheap out on backups

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Just got back from being at the server physically. This is what I have. I might actually be able to condense two of the RDS servers into one. Cabling might be a nightmare, but what about this isn't?

Now that poo poo makes sense in my stupid little brain, a few questions:

I'm assuming that when I get to do this, something like this would happen:

RAID 10 with 4 2TB HDDs for a total of 2TB to be allocated (no reason for more in this situation).
64 GB of RAM (Looking, RAM is cheap enough I might just have them buy more).

Physical Server
- Hyper V (4GB RAM)
- - Licensing Server (4GB)
- - RDS server 1 (8GB)
- - RDS server 2 (8GB)

With that said, there's 4 servers, the DB, 2 RDS, and the "stuff" server (DNS, DHCP, DC, etc). Can I pair the Licensing server up with the last server to have them mirror functions so they both back each other up? I'd have 3 physical and 3+ virtual servers:

1 - Heavy lifter DB server
2 - HyperV server
3 - Primary DC, DNS, DHCP and RDS Licensing, with the licensing VM as a backup (Or vice-versa)?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Yes. You can do all those things. This is the small shop thread. It might not be a best practice, but you can do it.

A different way to think about this is to ask what you stand to gain by backing it up. Is the rest of your infra HA? Do you have other single points of failure?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Yes. You can do all those things. This is the small shop thread. It might not be a best practice, but you can do it.

A different way to think about this is to ask what you stand to gain by backing it up. Is the rest of your infra HA? Do you have other single points of failure?

By "high availability" you mean they were high when they made it available?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

High on all the cash they were getting from your employer by reselling used equipment that is poorly suited for their needs, perhaps.

I once did a site survey at a firm that had a 2 socket xeon with 128 gb of ram which they used as a DC and file share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

High availability is my nickname when I'm on the on call rotation :rimshot: