Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Why does Organized Play feel like it's so hostile to new players? I'm just looking for a local game, but their own event list is very thin and basically impossible to search by geography. Or they recommend several other web sites, none of which are much better in either regard.

Then the FAQs and such are chock full of what looks to be fairly esoteric rulings, which I'm sure are important, but as a new player what I really need is "here's where to find a game" and maybe "if you want to roll around character in advance here's which optional rules you can use." I think they address the latter, but the options are overwhelming. The important stuff really needs to be more visible, and the visible stuff could easily be tucked behind another click or two.

(While I've played a share of TTRPGs it's been literally decades. It shouldn't be this laborious and confusing to just find a place to roll some dice.)

Related: How lost, story-wise, would a new OP player be? It looks like I will have missed literally years of events, and my hunch is that nobody runs "old" stuff.

PFS OP is still rooted in 20-year-old ideals and cargo cults. And it was literally years behind the PF2 release. I like PFS in concept, but somehow they managed to be worse than AL in serving the OP community for PF2, and that's real dumb.

As far as story, none of it matters, the blurbs at the beginning of the adventure boxtext will tell you the bits you need to know.

As far as "what can you use", basically 99% of first-party stuff. Hopping in with a level 1 character built using official sources will Just Work almost certainly, and you can figure the rest out after you get started.

I haven't done it for PFS, but AL was very much a "just hop into one of the big discords and join a level 1 game and get your feet wet", but I do know that presents hurdles in PFS because of the antiquated design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

My group is going to try out a PF2 game (we're running Trouble in Otari) but something about creating a character higher than level 1 has me a little stumped. This whole 'permanent item' concept doesn't feel very well explained on the wiki, so it'd be great if someone could explain what it means when you're starting at level 2 with a "Level 1 Item" and 20-odd GP.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Hunter Noventa posted:

My group is going to try out a PF2 game (we're running Trouble in Otari) but something about creating a character higher than level 1 has me a little stumped. This whole 'permanent item' concept doesn't feel very well explained on the wiki, so it'd be great if someone could explain what it means when you're starting at level 2 with a "Level 1 Item" and 20-odd GP.

So you'd start with a level 1 common item. Weapon, armor or something along those rates. And then you could use your 20 gp to buy anything else you need with gm approval from how I'd read it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hunter Noventa posted:

An item is anything that's not a one-time use consumable, like a potion or an elixir. This is one of those cases where it's much easier to suss this out looking at the printed rulebook since it's got nice tables breaking down consumable versus permanent items by level.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Why does Organized Play feel like it's so hostile to new players? I'm just looking for a local game, but their own event list is very thin and basically impossible to search by geography. Or they recommend several other web sites, none of which are much better in either regard.

Then the FAQs and such are chock full of what looks to be fairly esoteric rulings, which I'm sure are important, but as a new player what I really need is "here's where to find a game" and maybe "if you want to roll around character in advance here's which optional rules you can use." I think they address the latter, but the options are overwhelming. The important stuff really needs to be more visible, and the visible stuff could easily be tucked behind another click or two.

(While I've played a share of TTRPGs it's been literally decades. It shouldn't be this laborious and confusing to just find a place to roll some dice.)

Related: How lost, story-wise, would a new OP player be? It looks like I will have missed literally years of events, and my hunch is that nobody runs "old" stuff.

Hi, I'm actually an Organized Play Venture Officer, and I'd love to help you out!

I'm at work right now though. Could you message me on discord ogrenoah#5291 and I can try to get you into contact with your local Venture Officer. I can also take you through creating your first character tonight or tomorrow.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

OgreNoah posted:

Hi, I'm actually an Organized Play Venture Officer, and I'd love to help you out!

I'm at work right now though. Could you message me on discord ogrenoah#5291 and I can try to get you into contact with your local Venture Officer. I can also take you through creating your first character tonight or tomorrow.
Yeah we're here to help.

And I'm not sure about Ogrenoah but I agree yes the process should be smoother but work is being done.

Also I wouldn't compare AL to PFS as they both had similar rules but I don't think anyone enforces the AL rules.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 21, 2022

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Running this for the first time soon and I have a player who is very interested in crafting. I skimmed the rules and they seem okay for a campaign that has a lot of overland travel and associated downtime. Are there any common pitfalls or idiosyncracies or horror stories to worry about being pretty laissez-faire with a PC crafting stuff by the book?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

The entire system is hampered by the fact that the Organized Play website, just like the rest of Paizo's website, is dogshit garbage. It's an absolute abomination and makes it twice as hard to even know what the rules are, let alone create and manage characters. I keep a Herolab subscription just for my PFS characters just so I can know what's permitted and make system-legal characters (the PFS checkbox in a Herolab character will show you anything you selected that's not allowed). A simple rule of thumb to create your first PFS legal character is just make someone that uses no feats/ancestries/backgrounds/spells/items/etc that have the Uncommon or Rare trait.

For finding games, you might consider playing a bit online if you have trouble finding local games (be sure to check your FLGS if you do want local games - they can usually put you in touch with the local lodge if there is one). For online play check Warhorn: https://warhorn.net/games/search?c=64

Like any other group of geeks, PFS is full of people who are happy to have you and will help you get started. The officers are awesome and helpful on discord and in-game so try out a few online sessions and see if you mesh with one of the lodges.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Syrinxx posted:

The entire system is hampered by the fact that the Organized Play website, just like the rest of Paizo's website, is dogshit garbage. It's an absolute abomination and makes it twice as hard to even know what the rules are, let alone create and manage characters. I keep a Herolab subscription just for my PFS characters just so I can know what's permitted and make system-legal characters (the PFS checkbox in a Herolab character will show you anything you selected that's not allowed). A simple rule of thumb to create your first PFS legal character is just make someone that uses no feats/ancestries/backgrounds/spells/items/etc that have the Uncommon or Rare trait.

For finding games, you might consider playing a bit online if you have trouble finding local games (be sure to check your FLGS if you do want local games - they can usually put you in touch with the local lodge if there is one). For online play check Warhorn: https://warhorn.net/games/search?c=64

Like any other group of geeks, PFS is full of people who are happy to have you and will help you get started. The officers are awesome and helpful on discord and in-game so try out a few online sessions and see if you mesh with one of the lodges.

That's one thing I really don't like is the whole Rarity system thing.
I mean, for magic items, I can understand. You shouldn't be able to walk into a corner market and buy Excalibur off the shelf. But gatekeeping ancestries/heritages behind the Boon system is absolutely loving stupid. I know a couple people who won't do PFS because not being able to play a Tiefling out the gate is a dealbreaker for them, which I understand to an extent, there's not much point in playing a roleplaying game if you can't play the role you actually want.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

They recently made it so every new account, and old account, got gifted 80 AcP for both PF2 and SF, which is enough to start out as one of many different ancestries. So if you go to the boons tab on anew account they can indeed pick a tiefling heritage for their first character.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

OgreNoah posted:

They recently made it so every new account, and old account, got gifted 80 AcP for both PF2 and SF, which is enough to start out as one of many different ancestries. So if you go to the boons tab on anew account they can indeed pick a tiefling heritage for their first character.

Ah, so that's why I had starfinder points despite having never played. Good to know

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

the_steve posted:

Ah, so that's why I had starfinder points despite having never played. Good to know

It's a lot of fun! You should try it sometime. I mean, this is official art, so it has to be good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Starfinder really is fun. Just the fact that Ysoki (ratfolk) can hold bag of holding levels of poo poo in their cheek pouches or Kasatha (four armed race) can actually hold/wield 4 things had me hooked early. If it was based fully on Pathfinder 2e and not kind of a 1.5e type of system it would really be perfect

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah I really just want a 2e starfinder at this point

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Everyone does, but Paizo are probably reluctant to burn all the current people by making the switch and breaking all their books.

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
I've run the beginner box for two people (liberal application of the weak template or halving the number of monsters) and this system seems cool. About to run Trouble in Otari for a full party of 4, and one of the players is showing up with a wit swashbuckler. Their level 2 pickups are weapon improviser dedication for the class feat and juggle for the skill feat. Both of these seem like they are going to cost the player actions for not that much actual benefit, which I suppose is alright because they're both fun, showy and unusual and when the swashbuckler is doing fun, showy and unusual things I can give them panache, which is a good reward. But just to be sure, am I underestimating these options on their own? Am I right to think that weapon improvisation just means they'll spend an action to pick up a chair when they could just get their sword out, and juggle basically just makes them spend actions getting their items into the juggle, which they will then utilize the same way as if they weren't juggling?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah.

There's some fun juggle/throw stuff for flying blade wit guys but you don't need juggle to do it.

Juggle basically lets you convert actions into extra hands, as I understand it

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

PastaBakeWizard posted:

I've run the beginner box for two people (liberal application of the weak template or halving the number of monsters) and this system seems cool. About to run Trouble in Otari for a full party of 4, and one of the players is showing up with a wit swashbuckler. Their level 2 pickups are weapon improviser dedication for the class feat and juggle for the skill feat. Both of these seem like they are going to cost the player actions for not that much actual benefit, which I suppose is alright because they're both fun, showy and unusual and when the swashbuckler is doing fun, showy and unusual things I can give them panache, which is a good reward. But just to be sure, am I underestimating these options on their own? Am I right to think that weapon improvisation just means they'll spend an action to pick up a chair when they could just get their sword out, and juggle basically just makes them spend actions getting their items into the juggle, which they will then utilize the same way as if they weren't juggling?

Juggle isn’t going to do anything fundamentally; it’s a way to maintain a free hand while using a weapon and a shield… which is handy for some spellcasting builds but a swashbuckler can and should just… leave a hand free. It’s flavorful but not really useful!

Weapon improviser though is a really strong chain actually. It doesn’t actually cost an action if, for example, before combat he picks up a bottle off of the bar because he’s expecting a fight. The dedication feat doesn’t do anything that just buying a rapier wouldn’t, mechanically (though, flavor off the charts), but there are feats down the chain that essentially give improvised weapons scaling potency/striking runes for free and other goodies. It’s a fun archetype.

PastaBakeWizard
Mar 4, 2020
Awesome, thanks for the help guys! I think that doing something unique and flavourful is more valuable than combat effectiveness to this person, and I do not consider that a problem, so I'll not mention it and be a little more liberal with panache. If they feel unhappy with their performance down the line, I'll suggest retraining juggle and possibly leaving it as a flavour-only informed ability that the character has.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm GMing a Pf2e game, and one of the challenges I'm having is that each creature has multiple actions that synergizes with each other and they're always different from one creature to the next and it's a bit annoying. Is running monsters in pathfinder just... more involved? I seems to take a lot more effort to run the pf2e encounters than it does 5e encounters.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm GMing a Pf2e game, and one of the challenges I'm having is that each creature has multiple actions that synergizes with each other and they're always different from one creature to the next and it's a bit annoying. Is running monsters in pathfinder just... more involved? I seems to take a lot more effort to run the pf2e encounters than it does 5e encounters.

Yes, PF2 is designed to be more crunchy than 5E, so encounter design is more complicated. Once you get familiar with the tags, though, it gets a lot more intuitive.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I found you can wing it decently by using whatever unique abilities the monsters possess as often as possible. Even if the party isn't challenged (either due to the GM not making good tactical decisions or an undertuned encounter) it'll at least feal different from yet another dude making strikes.

Your goal isn't to kill everyone and players enjoy the occasional decisive win.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 23, 2022

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Awesome, thanks for the help guys! I think that doing something unique and flavourful is more valuable than combat effectiveness to this person, and I do not consider that a problem, so I'll not mention it and be a little more liberal with panache. If they feel unhappy with their performance down the line, I'll suggest retraining juggle and possibly leaving it as a flavour-only informed ability that the character has.

Fortunately for the player, Juggle is a skill feat and most skill feats are borderline useless anyway. I would give them a bonus on perform checks that use it and call it a day.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

More effort to run, but less effort to set up, and with experience and system mastery that effort will be more automatic and you’ll move faster.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

PastaBakeWizard posted:

If you want to let them do juggling for panache I'd suggest a custom feat to add a check a la One For All.

Oh you said wit. Juggler dedication is cool. Juggler still feat is lame.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 23, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Also, remember: if those feats don't work out for them in practice, retraining them is only a week of downtime by default. It really isn't hard to change that kind of thing out in a fun little in-universe way.

EDIT: And I just realized you already mentioned retraining. Either way, it's good to remember that pretty much anything short of class or ancestry can be changed after the fact without worrying too much.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 23, 2022

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i think 5e DnD is better than this game, actually

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
no you don't

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

pog boyfriend posted:

I think they're different games for different folks actually. Personally I like PF2e, but 5e gave me a lot of great memories with my friends, too.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

pog boyfriend posted:

:frogout:

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
My uncle works at Paizo and he gave me early access to Pathfinder 3e which is better than both of them but I can't tell you anything about it :smaug:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

GetDunked posted:

My uncle works at Paizo and he gave me early access to Pathfinder 3e which is better than both of them but I can't tell you anything about it :smaug:

hosed up they'renot doing starfinder 2e first i'm done with pf2e now

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Jokes aside, I think we should change the thread title. It feels a little needlessly combative to me (although I agree with it). I'd rather it be a pf2e in-joke, like Patherfinder 2e: Putting Casters under Martial Law or something like that.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

VikingofRock posted:

Jokes aside, I think we should change the thread title. It feels a little needlessly combative to me (although I agree with it). I'd rather it be a pf2e in-joke, like Patherfinder 2e: Putting Casters under Martial Law or something like that.
Pathfinder 2e: What the gently caress is a Goloma?
Pathfinder 2e: We've got Mithril Pans.
Pathfinder 2e: Our Elminster is cooler.
Pathfinder 2e: We based a class on The Mummy

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Pathfinder 2e: If your MAP is too high, use your third action to Post.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

blastron posted:

Pathfinder 2e: If your MAP is too high, use your third action to Post.

This one is great if it fits!

MadScientistWorking posted:

Pathfinder 2e: We based a class on The Mummy

Wait which class is this?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

current title is fine as an extension of the 3.75 title imo

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

VikingofRock posted:

This one is great if it fits!

Wait which class is this?
Thaumaturge. I'm not joking either. T

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Thaumaturge is extremely funny as an aesthetic class design.

copied from old post of mine:

average thaumaturge turn
- psychoanalyses you and says you have mommy issues and waves a binky in your face (Personal Antithesis)
- makes a crucifix and an inverted crucifix scissor to make you cringe (divine disharmony)
- hits you while you cringe with their weapon for W+4+halflevel damage while waving the binky around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I've found out that PF2e is really crunchy but Foundry makes it seem really light and automated, don't think I'd ever play it in real life much less GM it. I'm also very thankful of the organized internet plays because otherwise it would be very different for me to find a Peruvian group. I have noticed that the amount of games decrease once you level up to 5 tho so my poor Redeemer Champion sees less and less action nowadays.