Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Bullshit. Cyclists on roads should be fair game for any driver

They are. That's basically the law throughout the United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Wood chippers are plenty big enough to crush.

Why are you crushing the wood chipper after the snake/cyclist gore has already left it?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Like, I really can not stress enough how much "It should be legal for me to hit cyclists with my car because their existence annoys me" is the accepted position of so much of America including the judicial system. You aren't being a brave idiosyncratic thinker here,

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Because you have access to a crusher and you're going to crush every thing you can fit in there. Like renting a deep fryer.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Like, I really can not stress enough how much "It should be legal for me to hit cyclists with my car because their existence annoys me" is the accepted position of so much of America including the judicial system. You aren't being a brave idiosyncratic thinker here,

this sort of telling-on-yourself cyclist whining happens every time someone is like 'I wish cyclists would stop being dangerous and breaking the law by [riding on the sidewalk and ignoring bike lanes/etc.].'

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I like cyclists, I cycle myself, doing it on a road is incredibly dangerous and has no logical argument as to why they should be there and not on the sidewalks or on a bike trail.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
if people want to cycle they should go to a velodrome

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Captain Monkey posted:

this sort of telling-on-yourself cyclist whining happens every time someone is like 'I wish cyclists would stop being dangerous and breaking the law by [riding on the sidewalk and ignoring bike lanes/etc.].'

Yes I know you saw a cyclist swerve out of the bike lane because there was a car parked in it so now you have no sympathy as they fall beneath your tires. I get it.

Gaius Marius posted:

I like cyclists, I cycle myself, doing it on a road is incredibly dangerous and has no logical argument as to why they should be there and not on the sidewalks or on a bike trail.

Where do you live that there's always a well-maintained sidewalk or bike trail?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
If there is no bike trail, cyclists should be on the road, not the sidewalk. It's the job of the traffic to accommodate them.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

If a car strikes a bicyclist or a pedestrian, it is always the fault of the driver of the car. Because they're the one driving a car. You decided to take your 4,000 pound sealed metal contraption out and drive it through the city. You have chosen to do something inherently dangerous, so you bear all responsibility when you smash into someone.

"They came out of nowhere!" "they didn't observe proper street crossing etiquette!" Don't care, if you hit someone with your car that means you are unable to safely operate a car and should have your license revoked permanently.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You sound like someone mad they failed drivers ed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

You sound like someone mad they failed drivers ed

Nope. I drive all the time. It loving sucks. Driving is miserable.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Try hitting cyclists, that'll liven up the commute

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

But that does bring up a good point, the test to get a driver's license should be way harder. Like, 50% failure rate on the first time. You should be required to demonstrate a very high standard of driving mastery before you're legally allowed to operate a motor vehicle on public roads.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

if people want to cycle they should go to a velodrome

If people can cycle on roads (for pleasure) or jog on pavements, I should be able to drive in gyms or do donuts on football pitches.

But also if a car is parked in a bike lane, it is now considered road and cyclists should go straight over it, or kick it in an attempt to move it.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 00:27 on Sep 24, 2022

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Yes I know you saw a cyclist swerve out of the bike lane because there was a car parked in it so now you have no sympathy as they fall beneath your tires. I get it.

so you can't read either? too many head injuries from cycling without a helmet?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Gripweed is correct. Driving is awful, many drivers are irresponsible, and I would gladly walk into a teleporter even if there was only a 1% chance I'd come out a Tuvix (who was murdered) on the other side.

Unrelatedly, rice and noodles is an amazing combo. While visiting my relatives in Asia, my aunt was shocked to see me add rice to my fried noodles. Despite living in the thick of it, she did not know how good the carb-on-carb action is.

Captain Monkey posted:

so you can't read either? too many head injuries from cycling without a helmet?

I read your previous post 4-5 times and still can't say for sure what side of the should-cyclists-be-vehicularly-manslaughtered debate you're on, and I haven't even had that many concussions.

Caufman has a new favorite as of 00:33 on Sep 24, 2022

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Bicycling is such a terrible form of transit

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
All roads have belonged to pedestrians for thousands of years. Cars are a new and impractical mode of transportation that took over society for the worst reasons, and they are usurpers that must be destroyed. I do not acknowledge any space for cars to legitimately exist, not even in garages, and

CPColin posted:

Counterpoint: Everybody who has ever touched, seen, or thought about a car should be executed

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Cycling is great. Drivers should be kinder to cyclists, and we should be reducing car infrastructure in favor of (well, primarily public transit, but after that) cycling infrastructure. But it's really hard to argue for more cycling infrastructure when people don't loving use it once it gets built.

Also, no one should be vehicularly manslaughtered, that would put the anaconda breeders, wood chipper manufacturers, etc. out of business.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I am in favor of significantly more public transit solely so I can get as little traffic as possible when I drive my car

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I live in a place with a lot of back roads and blind corners and even at 20mph I've still almost killed runners that run out in the street because there are no sidewalks. I see this as a them problem, because WHY WOULD YOU RUN HERE, ITS STUPIDLY DANGEROUS

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I like cyclists, I cycle myself, doing it on a sidewalk is incredibly dangerous.

As a pedestrian I don't want to be run over by a cyclist barreling down the sidewalk. Either ride in a bike lane, or if that isn't possible, in the road.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I sometimes take a curvy, hilly backroad (Germantown Road, for any Portland Metro people) for my commute. The road is not wide, and cyclists sometimes use it, but I don't wish to stop them from using it. It's a pretty road.

What I do mind is when I'm driving on that road, a motorist driving the opposite way decides to try to pass a cyclist on a blind curve by driving into my oncoming lane. That is just incredibly dangerous, and we would have collided if I were just a second ahead of where I was.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Disco Pope posted:

If people can cycle on roads (for pleasure) or jog on pavements, I should be able to drive in gyms or do donuts on football pitches.

You already won. We destroyed our cities for your car. And when human beings try to live sometimes they have to intrude on your precious car space. Too bad, get over it, enjoy your bountiful free parking and endless miles of street where you can legally run over people.

Gripweed has a new favorite as of 02:10 on Sep 24, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Muscle Tracer posted:

Cycling is great. Drivers should be kinder to cyclists, and we should be reducing car infrastructure in favor of (well, primarily public transit, but after that) cycling infrastructure. But it's really hard to argue for more cycling infrastructure when people don't loving use it once it gets built.

Because a single stretch of bike lane doesn't actually accomplish much. You need a full path of bike lanes from where you are to where you are trying to go. And often the bike lanes have cars parked in them. Or are full of broken glass or debris from cars.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I live in a place with a lot of back roads and blind corners and even at 20mph I've still almost killed runners that run out in the street because there are no sidewalks. I see this as a them problem, because WHY WOULD YOU RUN HERE, ITS STUPIDLY DANGEROUS

Probably because that's where live?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Joe's Garage has great music on it, but it's not one of the better Zappa albums. Sheik Yerbouti is vastly superior.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'm not a fan of accommodating biking too much, it seems kinda ableist. Of course cars should not be accommodated either.

Instead you should have functional public transit, like trams, trains, subway, bus. Also cities where most things you need are within walking distance.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

doverhog posted:

I'm not a fan of accommodating biking too much, it seems kinda ableist. Of course cars should not be accommodated either.

Instead you should have functional public transit, like trams, trains, subway, bus. Also cities where most things you need are within walking distance.

Walking is ableist.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If you are using some alternative method, or service, "walking distance" is still more manageable.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That "your body is absurd" is terrible. I get why it would be popular right after the text was in the news, but it's 48 hours later and people are still doing it. It doesn't matter how funny your specific idea is, the whole concept stops producing any humor at all after you've seen, like, three of them.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

it's okay to bully lycra wearing helmet cyclists but not normal people on a bike

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

doverhog posted:

lol

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Consider that most of societal ills in this century are caused by the breakdown of the familial and community unit. The free exchange of wealth has a lot to do with this, now if we make it so instead of getting a loan through the bank you instead need to go to a patron who can loan you the cash you need, in exchange for helping him do labor, repaying him monetarily, lending him muscle if he needs to break heads, or becoming a patient for experimental procedures. You've then replaced a pure monetary transaction with a social one that deepens the community of people. Now that you've borrowed money from that patron you can consider yourself a sort of kin with the other borrowers and put yourself in contrast with the borrowers and patrons from other places. In effect banning private money lending would quickly revert the increasing social decay of capitalism with healthy and vibrant feudalism

This is why feudalism is superior to capitalism. You swear oaths of fealty to your lord and he in turn protects you. Under capitalism you have no value except what profit can be extracted from you. Capital accumulates capital and in the end unless you are part of the 1%, you will be either homeless hunted for sport or a slave living a rented apartment your employer owns. A few years more, unless you are in the 0.001% you and your line will be dead on a dead earth while your copied mind will work as a slave in Musk's Mars colony.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

doverhog posted:

This is why feudalism is superior to capitalism. You swear oaths of fealty to your lord and he in turn protects you. Under capitalism you have no value except what profit can be extracted from you. Capital accumulates capital and in the end unless you are part of the 1%, you will be either homeless hunted for sport or a slave living a rented apartment your employer owns. A few years more, unless you are in the 0.001% you and your line will be dead on a dead earth while your copied mind will work as a slave in Musk's Mars colony.

That all sounds fine, actually. But I'll draw the line at having to pay rent in the mind prison. That would be unfair.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

You know the lord didn't actually protect you, right? That's like when people say that slave owners cared for their slaves because they were an investment. It's a lie and a pretty evil lie at that

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Some lords were better than others. At least under feudalism you can believe you are following god's command, as all rules are passed down from the king, who has divine right.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

doverhog posted:

Capitalism is not really that different than feudalism. Instead of operating under the logic that the monarchy and the lords are in place because "god wills it", now we just say "Musk is rich because he earned it". Big corporations like Tesla are modern fiefdoms with a lord overseeing the serfs who own nothing but sell their labor. The peasants have a little more freedom but the underlying logic is largely the same.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Capitalism is not really that different than feudalism. Instead of operating under the logic that the monarchy and the lords are in place because "god wills it", now we just say "Musk is rich because he earned it". Big corporations like Tesla are modern fiefdoms with a lord overseeing the serfs who own nothing but sell their labor. The peasants have a little more freedom but the underlying logic is largely the same.

Yeah, I think lots of people don't quite get that the point of capitalism is the creation and maintenance of hierarchical power structures and that greed and money are just the tools to achieve that power. Which leads me to a related PHUO: many, if not most, online leftists and anticapitalists are perfectly fine with the status quo and just want more money and less work for themselves. I don't think a lot of them can imagine a world that doesn't heavily rely on servant labor and I get the impression that many would not be willing to trade 2am Uber Eats taco bell deliveries for human liberation. As an example, I've seen plenty of "communists" argue for nationalizing Amazons logistics infrastructure, as if it wasn't built entirely on abusive labor practices. Just speculating, but I believe thats at least one reason why we have so many tankies/authcoms taking up space in online leftist communities - people not willing to imagine giving up one iota of comfort even if it means a better world for everyone.

Basically this:

John Steinbeck posted:

Except for the field organizers of strikes, who were pretty tough monkeys and devoted, most of the so-called Communists I met were middle-class, middle-aged people playing a game of dreams. I remember a woman in easy circumstances saying to another even more affluent: ‘After the revolution even we will have more, won’t we, dear?’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Yeah, I think lots of people don't quite get that the point of capitalism is the creation and maintenance of hierarchical power structures and that greed and money are just the tools to achieve that power. Which leads me to a related PHUO: many, if not most, online leftists and anticapitalists are perfectly fine with the status quo and just want more money and less work for themselves. I don't think a lot of them can imagine a world that doesn't heavily rely on servant labor and I get the impression that many would not be willing to trade 2am Uber Eats taco bell deliveries for human liberation. As an example, I've seen plenty of "communists" argue for nationalizing Amazons logistics infrastructure, as if it wasn't built entirely on abusive labor practices. Just speculating, but I believe thats at least one reason why we have so many tankies/authcoms taking up space in online leftist communities - people not willing to imagine giving up one iota of comfort even if it means a better world for everyone.

Basically this:

I think you're probably right. There are online leftists who tend to be pretty good on the major issues, but they lack solidarity (or even just the ability to empathize) with struggling working class folks. It may not entirely be their fault in a lot of cases; capital has worked hard to keep us atomized and alienated from each other to destroy any sort of solidarity from happening.