Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I mean they could just release 'Factorio but now Honk! is on by default' and I'd probably pay $15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Squashing Machine posted:

I do find it funny that the expansion development team considers "game too long" a problem and not a feature in a game where the most popular mods pride themselves on insanely long completion times.

Speaking of which, 140 hours into Space Exploration and starting to hit yet another wall as I start putting offworld resources together to break into level 2 of the space sciences. Finally learning some basic circuit functions so I can automate my supply rockets and beacons so I can take advantage of SE's modules. Learning tons of stuff in this run that I never even had to think about in the base game. Next up is learning how to properly signal trains as I'm still relying on single-line rail systems for each of my trains:

I think it's a fairly small subset of total people that play the game who go on to use mods like that.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Yeah it's a good thing frankly. If Factorio's Dev team was of the same mindset as the modders who turn it into masochiam simulator 2020: timesink edition, it would have rightfully never gotten off the ground.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
IMO the base game should be designed to be perfect for people that don't get into it enough to look for and install mods, and mods can take care of people that want something longer.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Squibbles posted:

I think it's a fairly small subset of total people that play the game who go on to use mods like that.

If the numbers are anything like the number of players who play multiplayer in RTS vs the campaigns, the number of players that play modded at all is likely somewhere around 10-20% of the playerbase. For those that use something like Angel's or Bob's, you're likely in that 1-3% range. Hell, only 18% of players on Steam have the "Finish the game" (read: launch a rocket) achievement.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Synastren posted:

If the numbers are anything like the number of players who play multiplayer in RTS vs the campaigns, the number of players that play modded at all is likely somewhere around 10-20% of the playerbase. For those that use something like Angel's or Bob's, you're likely in that 1-3% range. Hell, only 18% of players on Steam have the "Finish the game" (read: launch a rocket) achievement.

Mods disable Steam achievements :eng101:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Tamba posted:

Mods disable Steam achievements :eng101:

It's interesting to me that you think folks dive into mods before they launch their first rocket, overall.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Synastren posted:

It's interesting to me that you think folks dive into mods before they launch their first rocket, overall.

This was a majority of my friends, honestly, though we're all fuckin weird so not that useful of a datapoint (also we all went back for the achievements later anyway).

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I played several games before I installed mods, but also, I didn't make it to launching a rocket in any of those games.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Synastren posted:

I know for certain that I did. There are tons of handy QOL or fun addition mods, that don't teach the level of laborious overhauls

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I think I looked for and found squeak through very early on in my playing. It’s much better in vanilla to move through piped stuff than it was, so I might not have if I started after they made that better.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I also played it a bunch of times vanilla without launching a rocket. I got frustrated with various aspects and it's thanks to mods that I was willing to actually finish and launch a rocket, and I think so far after 1,090 hours played I've only launched the rocket 2 or 3 times. I like the idea of the Space Exploration mod - and Angel's/Bob's etc - but it just makes the game too long. In my opinion it just becomes tedious and I think my tolerance for tedium is already far above average through years of practice. Rather than the "launched a rocket" achievement, I would like to see some graph showing how many hours people have played the game.

I am definitely looking forward to the official version of Space Exploration and I hope they include some interesting new options for transportation and automation. The timing to unlock vehicles, trains, and construction/logistics bots in the current game is really well-tuned, changing up the style of game and really addressing the challenges of expansion when they start to get painful. I am sure that they won't just add "space trains" and call it a day - maybe some kind of warp or teleport technology built-in? Even weirder stuff? Give me some crazy star trek / star wars future-tech.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It reminds me, in a way, of Stellaris, of all games. I've got a mere 340 hours in that game, and I've seen the end-game victory screen... twice, maybe? Possibly even 3 times.
But I still go back all the time and play it, just getting far enough into it to satisfy whatever itch I had, even if I don't make it all the way to the end.

On the other hand, I stop playing Factorio when it gets overwhelming, and I have too many things to do in-game. With Stellaris, I stop playing because, basically, I get bored.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Synastren posted:

I think I installed my first mod after 4 hours. Vanilla is missing stuff

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Squeakthrough and Long Reach for life

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Squashing Machine posted:

I do find it funny that the expansion development team considers "game too long" a problem and not a feature in a game where the most popular mods pride themselves on insanely long completion times.

Speaking of which, 140 hours into Space Exploration and starting to hit yet another wall as I start putting offworld resources together to break into level 2 of the space sciences. Finally learning some basic circuit functions so I can automate my supply rockets and beacons so I can take advantage of SE's modules. Learning tons of stuff in this run that I never even had to think about in the base game. Next up is learning how to properly signal trains as I'm still relying on single-line rail systems for each of my trains:

A new addition that's accessible after an hour of play is, fundamentally, going to be seen by far more players than a new addition that's accessible after 100 hours of play

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Majere posted:

Squeakthrough and Long Reach for life

My 'for life' list of mods has gotten um... longish.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The only absolutely mandatory mod is Honk! :colbert:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

KillHour posted:

The only absolutely mandatory mod is Honk! :colbert:

No, you need Disco Science too.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

power crystals posted:

Facts

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

power crystals posted:

Absolutely this, it's an essential mod.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If you are playing anything like angel bob you want a building ratio planning mod. There's several but you really want one.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
How can anyone leave out Renai Transportation from a list of essential mods?

https://i.imgur.com/dqsE3ko.mp4

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Last time I tried that it broke multiplayer completely until I removed it which was sort of an impediment to using it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Other people will just get in the way of your brilliance

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Majere posted:

The more accurate ratio is 20-5-17 but that generally too much to start with or you use that when you eventually replace the 2-3 copies of the "simple" ratio.

Thanks for that! Now my petro industry is no longer in ruin. It's my first game, so I'm trying to stay away from importing blueprints, but knowing ratios like this is handy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mailer posted:

Thanks for that! Now my petro industry is no longer in ruin. It's my first game, so I'm trying to stay away from importing blueprints, but knowing ratios like this is handy.

Factorio Cheat Sheet is your friend.
https://factoriocheatsheet.com/#oil-refining

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
That being said, if you use a simple pump to storage connection to determine when you run the next level of cracking ratios become less important and you can just put down a ton of Chem plants to overservice each step. Sometimes having cracking capacity higher than the ratio suggested by you number of refineries is useful in regards to a sudden spike in demand for one type of oil or another if you have a lot stored.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Synastren posted:

I've done one or two rockets without mods. However I've only ever made it that far with blueprint books. The first time was without biters.

I'm now playing K2 without blueprints and loving the spaghetti as I learn these new production lines. Just got to yellow cards ( had to run some radar dishes in a little outpost ages away to even find rare metals). Now I have to rethink my rocket fuel recipe as HCL is eating up all my chlorine :(

But yeah really loving having to think about it instead of just slamming down a blueprint along a main bus. And the biters are now getting to the point where a couple of turrets and a flamethrower isn't enough (construction bots can repair/replace what was ruined). What's the best defensive strategy - just go out and destroy the biggest bases?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

For K2, the best anti-biter strategy is just spamming air filters because those are crazy strong.

e: looked up the numbers:
One air filter removes enough pollution to prevent one big biter or four medium biters per minute

Tamba fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 26, 2022

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

PancakeTransmission posted:

I've done one or two rockets without mods. However I've only ever made it that far with blueprint books. The first time was without biters.

I'm now playing K2 without blueprints and loving the spaghetti as I learn these new production lines. Just got to yellow cards ( had to run some radar dishes in a little outpost ages away to even find rare metals). Now I have to rethink my rocket fuel recipe as HCL is eating up all my chlorine :(

But yeah really loving having to think about it instead of just slamming down a blueprint along a main bus. And the biters are now getting to the point where a couple of turrets and a flamethrower isn't enough (construction bots can repair/replace what was ruined). What's the best defensive strategy - just go out and destroy the biggest bases?

You want, starting from the layer facting the biters, one layer of wall, then a solid line of flamethrower turrets. Behind that a line of gun turrets, with a single tile between for Inserters to pass magazines from one to the other and keep everyone topped up from wherever your belt feed runs to, and then behind that a line of laser turrets. Stretch this obstacle between impassable landforms, automate delivery of the fuel and ammo, then don't worry about that direction.

If you're not at the stage where you're keeping 100 of each type of turret available to your construction network, use some scaled-down version of this as blocking positions. 3-4 flamethrower turrets spaced out a little, backed by automatically-fed gun turrets, will be good enough for most purposes. You can blueprint this kind of pillbox and then lay them out such that any biter expansion patrol coming in off the usual routes will see and agress on one of them instead of passing between.

My first K2 run I was building them two max-length underground pipe segments away from each other and putting walls around the fuel feeds, but biters always got pulled into a fighting position and I never ran into a problem with the fuel feeds getting cut off.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I'm proud of babby's first (progressively built) drip feed science station. Not great, but it's mine. :colbert:

(Yes, I DID have to build over that iron patch... I've got bigger and it was in the way of prime real estate.)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Spoggerific posted:

How can anyone leave out Renai Transportation from a list of essential mods?

https://i.imgur.com/dqsE3ko.mp4

So I've seen the jumping trains and the throwers, but God drat the train crashing into a stopper and and just mass YEETing its contents onto a mess of belts and bounce pads is the most beautiful thing I've seen.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Does anyone use landmines?

I love them cause, you know, explosions.

The key is to have a separate network of roboports servicing your walls, so your base drones don't get tasked with refilling the fields. Also, to set the provider chests far enough back that the drones aren't flying in while the attack is still alive and getting slaughtered.

That way the waves are nicely reduced by the time they reach flamethrower range.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I don't see a lot of streamers using them, but I always use them. They are probably less necessary now that flamethrowers exist, but they really do chew through everything except behemoths.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I found them most useful when the infrastructure isn't quite in place to support a full flamers+lasers+walls setup, and they can still beef up a bottleneck, but i generally found that by the time i was able to use a bot and/or train network for replenishment, i was already making artillery, so attacks thinned out significantly anyway... i bet they're a good idea on deathworld

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
IIRC landmines are absurdly material efficient. But since they are fiddly to place and need loginet for automation I think most people blow right past into oversized uranium round turret arrays.

I think the best efficiency still comes from a mix of uranium turrets, flamers, and mines just cause of spatial limits of how many turrets you can put into one place vs how many large biters take up space. You run into a dps wall in a given spot without that forward deployment of mines.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I do wish they did more with turrets. A mine throwing turret that is made up of a fast inserter and a radar and some other junk that launches mines over your wall to replace exploded ones would be really cool.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

KillHour posted:

I do wish they did more with turrets. A mine throwing turret that is made up of a fast inserter and a radar and some other junk that launches mines over your wall to replace exploded ones would be really cool.

Oh man that would be rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

KillHour posted:

This is why I never leave off Rampant Arsenal, even if Shotgun Turrets are a bit stronger than they ought to be.