Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

S.J. posted:

poo poo I haven't done it in so long I'm having a hard time remembering which scene that is?

Probably Edmont's reaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Oh gently caress I had forgotten. poo poo.

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Bruceski posted:

Seen someone using it on P7 normal. Or they're absurdly good at guessing which fist will punch. They were moving well before the markers appeared, and just enough to get out of the way instead of "head to the guaranteed safe spot in the back".

I did that this week (moved ahead of time just far enough to dodge the punches, that is) and felt like a god. Either the order in which the arms move forward after the back slams is always the same, or my wrong impression on that front was coincidentally right for that particular run! :sun:

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Bloody Emissary posted:

I did that this week (moved ahead of time just far enough to dodge the punches, that is) and felt like a god. Either the order in which the arms move forward after the back slams is always the same, or my wrong impression on that front was coincidentally right for that particular run! :sun:

In general the first few mechs of normal aren't randomized even when they could be. For example p8 always starts snake then bird even though the opposite would teach the mechanic just as well. Same with Shadowkeeper's front/back cleave in Eden.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bloody Emissary posted:

You might be right, just checked on my run this week and it was (their) LRRLLR which feels familiar. On the other hand, I've had plenty of bosses where I think I know the routine and then it turns out one mechanic has two options. The add phase of the last boss current dungeon gets a lot of folks who don't know that "outside explodes, then spread markers" can also be "inside explodes, then stack marker" and stand too centered. I was one of them.

Pyp
Jul 29, 2022
every single time ive done p7n its been the exact same mechanics in the exact same order, so i always just pre-position myself because i know how its gonna go

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

When you completely botch a fight and get four commendations. "No, give it to the healer! They saves my rear end so many times!"

I guess it makes up for the times I'm a golden god and nobody cares.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Bruceski posted:

When you completely botch a fight and get four commendations. "No, give it to the healer! They saves my rear end so many times!"

I guess it makes up for the times I'm a golden god and nobody cares.

I got three-commed for barely managing to keep the party alive for the back half of Dzemael and wiping several times on the front. I don't want your pity. :colbert:

It was dramatic, certainly, and we won, which is the important part, but I'd much rather play well enough people don't drop below 50% very often.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

as a healer that pretty much exclusively plays to do duty finder content i have noticed that the worse I play the more comms I get

the exception to this is if I die to a boss mechanic then I usually get 0 but this doesn't happen very often

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

blatman posted:

as a healer that pretty much exclusively plays to do duty finder content i have noticed that the worse I play the more comms I get

the exception to this is if I die to a boss mechanic then I usually get 0 but this doesn't happen very often

If you do well they don't notice their health getting low so forget you exist.

Had a healer solo-heal P7 today after the other guy ragequit because we didn't do a countdown timer before the pull. I'm surprised *anyone* else in the party got a commendation, they certainly got mine.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Dareon posted:

but I'd much rather play well enough people don't drop below 50% very often.
As a tank, it's always fun in dungeons to play the game of "is this healer letting me drop low so they can get maximum usage out of Bene/ED/whatever, or are they actually overwhelmed?" I respect the hell out of the former type of healer.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bruceski posted:

Had a healer solo-heal P7 today after the other guy ragequit because we didn't do a countdown timer before the pull. I'm surprised *anyone* else in the party got a commendation, they certainly got mine.

I've been in situations like this where I somehow got a comm and feel kind of weird about it, because someone else was obviously the MVP and deserved the full boat. (I think the last time was a Cloud Deck where a WAR was the last man standing and tried to solo the boss from like 20%, finally dying at 5% or so to a stack marker. I, a lowly RDM who did nothing of interest in that fight or the subsequent clear, got a comm. I know some people don't like tanks trying to solo, but... come on, that dude was a star, give him his props.)

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Antivehicular posted:

I've been in situations like this where I somehow got a comm and feel kind of weird about it, because someone else was obviously the MVP and deserved the full boat. (I think the last time was a Cloud Deck where a WAR was the last man standing and tried to solo the boss from like 20%, finally dying at 5% or so to a stack marker. I, a lowly RDM who did nothing of interest in that fight or the subsequent clear, got a comm. I know some people don't like tanks trying to solo, but... come on, that dude was a star, give him his props.)

It was probably from him.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sometimes I'll give a comm if I think nobody else will give them a comm.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

jalapeno_dude posted:

As a tank, it's always fun in dungeons to play the game of "is this healer letting me drop low so they can get maximum usage out of Bene/ED/whatever, or are they actually overwhelmed?" I respect the hell out of the former type of healer.

i can never get a handle on when a warrior is planning on using their crazy self healing but it sucks when we both have the same panic threshhold so i dump some healing into the guy the microsecond they start cranking out their own heals

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Warmachine posted:

I see this a lot, and should probably post this in the newbie thread, buuuuuuut as a tank of 15 years across various games:

You are not made of glass and you have all the tools you need to do your job at a base level of competence.

my tanxiety doesn't come from the job, it comes from the other people in the instance yelling at me (or just going and pulling extras) for not pulling hard enough in dungeons where I know i don't want to wallpull. it comes from, like i described in that last post, getting rescued because I was doing the right thing but not precisely enough for other people's tastes. it comes from supposedly being the person who sets the pace but never being allowed to play at my own pace

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

More derping at the island workshop:

I may be not so great at math and perhaps I missed something, but the spreadsheet recommendation for Cycle 5 is Caramels > Islefish Pie x2. Would it not be significantly more profitable to make Butter > Ink > Jam > Ink > Jam?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

blatman posted:

i can never get a handle on when a warrior is planning on using their crazy self healing but it sucks when we both have the same panic threshhold so i dump some healing into the guy the microsecond they start cranking out their own heals

From the warrior side of this: I don't always have a handle either and I'd rather we double up than both wait for the other. Bloodwhetting is a 25-second cooldown, it'll be back soon.

Tanking below 56 feels really scary because that when I start getting my self-heals and my tanking reflex is "wait until I start hurting, hit one of my heals, then start using mitigation to slow it down afterward." Before 56 if I wait until half health to use my mitigation I should've hit those buttons a long time ago.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I may be not so great at math and perhaps I missed something, but the spreadsheet recommendation for Cycle 5 is Caramels > Islefish Pie x2. Would it not be significantly more profitable to make Butter > Ink > Jam > Ink > Jam?

Yeah, it would. The calculator has issues with 5 and 6-combos.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I get the tank "setting the pace" thing, but remember that's it's a team effort. You can't see it on your bars but you're equipped with the most powerful mitigation of all: an entire person whose job is to keep you alive. If the healer is trying to get you to pull more then it's because they're confident they can keep you up regardless of what buttons you're pressing and also judged that you are actually playing just fine. They trust you and you should trust them.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Thundarr posted:

gotta look for the checkmarks, this one they put in manually cause of spreadsheet limitations

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kerrzhe posted:

gotta look for the checkmarks, this one they put in manually cause of spreadsheet limitations

Ah, my eyes slide right past that Build Your Own section. That would have saved me a good 10 minutes of mathing things out lol.

e: going Rapier > Crook > Rapier on cycle 7 because that's worth a bit more and I still have a fang shortage but plenty of garnet.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 24, 2022

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

GloomMouse posted:

I get the tank "setting the pace" thing, but remember that's it's a team effort. You can't see it on your bars but you're equipped with the most powerful mitigation of all: an entire person whose job is to keep you alive. If the healer is trying to get you to pull more then it's because they're confident they can keep you up regardless of what buttons you're pressing and also judged that you are actually playing just fine. They trust you and you should trust them.

i do trust the healer, but there are sections of dungeons I've done a shitload of times where I know for a fact overpulling will get us killed, and I slow down on those

this makes certain healers angry

but gently caress me for trying to apply my own experience to my gameplay, right?

some of those same dungeons, when I'm healing, I'll ask they slow down, before and after the inevitable wipe and get told to gently caress off and heal better

basically what the people in this game regularly tell me is that i should stick to a simple dps that can be safely ignored

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

hexwren posted:

my tanxiety doesn't come from the job, it comes from the other people in the instance yelling at me (or just going and pulling extras) for not pulling hard enough in dungeons where I know i don't want to wallpull. it comes from, like i described in that last post, getting rescued because I was doing the right thing but not precisely enough for other people's tastes. it comes from supposedly being the person who sets the pace but never being allowed to play at my own pace

The more they fill in the duty support the higher my tanks get leveled.

Also I'm never commed more than when I'm a dps who's only achievement in the dungeon is 'knows rotation'. Def more than whenever I heal and get nothing.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Pyp posted:

every single time ive done p7n its been the exact same mechanics in the exact same order, so i always just pre-position myself because i know how its gonna go

Even in P7S the Bough of Attis (hit front or back of the arena) is 100% fixed for the whole fight

e: commendations: I mainly play healer and I always give my commendations to the player with the highest DPS

Tamba fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 24, 2022

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

hexwren posted:

i do trust the healer, but there are sections of dungeons I've done a shitload of times where I know for a fact overpulling will get us killed, and I slow down on those

this makes certain healers angry

but gently caress me for trying to apply my own experience to my gameplay, right?

some of those same dungeons, when I'm healing, I'll ask they slow down, before and after the inevitable wipe and get told to gently caress off and heal better

basically what the people in this game regularly tell me is that i should stick to a simple dps that can be safely ignored

thank u for not wiping groups in stone vigil, dzemael darkhold frog canyon, bardam's mettle, holminster switch first hallway and sometimes zot right before the last boss

probably others too but those ones i listed are the ones that make me groan audibly when i get them

edit: also vanspati is a disaster more often than not, basically leveling roulette can be pretty aggravating

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

blatman posted:

thank u for not wiping groups in stone vigil, dzemael darkhold frog canyon, bardam's mettle, holminster switch first hallway and sometimes zot right before the last boss

probably others too but those ones i listed are the ones that make me groan audibly when i get them

edit: also vanspati is a disaster more often than not, basically leveling roulette can be pretty aggravating

Doma Castle, trying to pull the Colossus at the start into the next two packs can work, but goes wrong more often than not

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

tanking is the easiest job in the game, especially in endwalker where everything has a giant hit box and recenters constantly. the only real "tanxiety" is when you have poo poo dps not clearing the wall to walls fast enough that you and the healer get hosed when you run out of resources.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

yeah, exactly this (e: not the post directly above this one that just appeared while I was writing)

also the one with the winter zombie barracks ambush which comes after several twisty hallways that immediately take a sprinting tank out of line of sight of the healer almost immediately (snowcloak? the other vigil? i don't remember)

i know people want to get out of roulettes fast, so do i, but like, jesus, i just got out of work, it's like 3 am and I'm not coked up like some of these jabbering idiots seem to be, just let me take the extra minute or two

but no, time to yell at the person with brain problems for being bad at vidya

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Tanxiety is wholly unrelated to capability or performance, it's being the centre of attention and feeling like anyone can see the mistakes you make. Whether those mistakes exist to make or not doesn't matter, how easy tanking actually is to do doesn't matter, because it's entirely mental hangups on other people seeing you make any mistake at all as the centre of attention.

It's basically stage fright.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i mean, it's not really anything to do with what you're imagining people are seeing in your performance if they're literally there in party chat giving you poo poo about it

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

if someone's giving you legit poo poo in party chat you should report them for being dicks because this game does not need those kinds of people

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i do, obviously, but there are a lot of people who play this game and for as good as the community is, it is still a video game player by Gamers

especially at the dogshit hours i get to play because i work nights (yes i am posting from work right now, shhhh, don't tell my boss)

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

this is an example of real pain as a tank

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tamba posted:

Doma Castle, trying to pull the Colossus at the start into the next two packs can work, but goes wrong more often than not

Doma Castle is my pick for stealth lovely trash packs. I always feel like I should be able to do big pulls in there, especially in the second segment where you can dodge the AoE maze like a boss, but somehow this poo poo always fails and I end up having to baby-pull after a wipe or two.

Also Dzemael, but my biggest irritation with it at this point is the loving ghosts who are casters and won't loving run with the pack when I sprint. GET INTO MY AOE, ASSHOLES

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Yeah at this point I'm half expecting the next few patches to go Cagnazzo dungeon boss / solo duty + Rubicante trial in 6.3, then Golbez trial in 6.4, and Zeromus trial in 6.5. But with the end of the original main storyline they may mix it up with the patches thing forward so there might be a 6.6 patch and each enemy gets their own trial (except Scarmiglione).

I'm hoping we eventually get a Golbez Ultimate where each of the four fiends gets a chance to shine.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lol if getting rescued causes you tanxiety.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Getting rescued usually means one of my FC mates decided they were owned and were gonna take me down with them, and its always funny

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Trash Ops posted:

this is an example of real pain as a tank

For those of us who don't speak parse whats going on here, is it cuz your a Drk with a Sage? Wait were you highest DPS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I'm still working on my "rescue a friend into danger, icarus back to safety" combo. when I can reliably hit that I will finally consider myself a competent healer