Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

It's worth noting that Ichigeki wasn't written by Jiro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

New chapters of Ragnarok in which we learn Beelzebub's tragic backstory, so it's really not looking good for Tesla

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

on the latest episode of shadow's house: emilico and shaun get #cancelled

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

New chapters of Ragnarok in which we learn Beelzebub's tragic backstory, so it's really not looking good for Tesla

Every fighter has a tragic backstory

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I have now read the second chapter I didn't realise was also realised and I think they will become best friends.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
one of the best chapters so far art wise

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Shame that group is dropping it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Next we'll elarn about Tesla's tragic backstory of falling in love with a bird.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I have now read the second chapter I didn't realise was also realised and I think they will become best friends.

SCIENCE!!!! Will find a way.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Pewdiepie posted:

Ichigeki ftw.

wow, this owns, thank you

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Regarding Tenkaichi, I think I want Choko the sumo wrestler to win this match. The tournament's oversaturated with Sword Guys, and of the two contenders, he feels more like a protagonist with room to grow than an obstacle to be overcome. I bet he can learn some really cool stuff from defeating Ise-no-Kami.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: Wrong thread

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Regarding Tenkaichi, I think I want Choko the sumo wrestler to win this match. The tournament's oversaturated with Sword Guys, and of the two contenders, he feels more like a protagonist with room to grow than an obstacle to be overcome. I bet he can learn some really cool stuff from defeating Ise-no-Kami.

I'm the opposite, I want the old man to win to stick it to Nobunaga and give me revenge for my man Toda's unfortunate death. Also Sumo wrestlers have a bad track record in mixed combat style martial arts and he's already pulling out non-sumo moves to stay relevant.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I’m happy that Fable: Second Contract hasn’t had a palpable drop in quality from its predecessor, which has happened to so many of the seinen I’ve read.

No new volume yet but I’m not sure if these omake were posted in this thread

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speaking of low quality, I just finished Karate Apocalypse last night, a manga from the 80s with a very deceptive title.

To its credit, it did have a lot of karate, but the apocalypse is entirely absent, despite the manga being inspired by Fist of the North Star (1986 release, right as Kenshiro's popularity was at its peak).

It starts out grounded, with the hero getting sent to juvie after removing a dude's eye with karate, but soon introduces chi powered martial arts, 20 foot tall sumo wrestlers, and the protagonist's karate expert brother being murdered by a branch of the mafia secretly being operated in the US military by a karate expert green beret who's also a fighter pilot. (And who also alternates between being 6'8'' and 20 feet tall, depending on the panel).

The art's not bad, although the flow of the fights is very pre-Dragon Ball and the style varies wildly from panel to panel, but the plotting is very poorly structured. The protagonist knows who killed his brother from pretty early on, and breaks into a military base to get revenge, fighting off every karate expert the US Army has, but then the plot goes off to have him fight a kung fu master hired by the Yakuza to get revenge, then he has to rescue his kidnapped childhood friend (who seems to mostly exist to motivate the hero by nearly getting raped until he can rescue her), and then he wanders off to master the secret super karate school that only 20 people can do, where he turns out to be the chosen one who will be the best at karate. That arc also introduces two new love interests in quick succession, who are both good at martial arts and who both immediately like the hero, but who don't seem to have anything to do in the plot beyond "talk about the hero".

Finally, the villains stagger back into the plot, where they reveal the whole plot (it's drug smuggling using karate gis) and then they get caught by the FBI off-panel, except the guy who actually killed the hero's brother, the evil Green Beret who goes everywhere in his own fighter jet.

The villain is a karate expert, which should be kind of intimidating, but he has no magic karate at all, while the hero has all the magic karate, and has beaten up the villain every time they met, so it's kind of a non-event when they fight for the last time.

It was a short lived manga, and it's easy to see why. The supporting cast appears and disappears without much impact, the brother's death doesn't build him or the villain up very well, the wider structure is weak, and the hero isn't interesting. Put it next to something like Fist of the North Star or Ashita No Joe, and it doesn't have anything to draw the reader over the competition.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
2022 Manga Taisho Award winner Darwin's Incident has a new group translating it and it's pretty good so far. But lol at the inner ring suburb of Saint Louis they chose as a setting pretending like it's some middle of nowhere rural shitkicker town. But a pretty good depiction of America for a Japanese manga

https://mangadex.org/title/1c3b6b2b-2d4f-47c3-a55b-574bf1bca616/darwin-s-incident

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Err, the new group doesn't seem to know English. It seems interesting, but the chapters uploaded by "monkescams" are really poor quality.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Found a neat little oneshot called Destronaut. It combines two things I really like, science fiction and Hanzo Steel.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Zeikin de Katta Hon

A delinquent gets a job at a library

I hope he completes his quest to kill the person who tore a page to use it as a bookmark.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

sinky posted:

Zeikin de Katta Hon

I hope he completes his quest to kill the person who tore a page to use it as a bookmark.

hell yeah

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

sinky posted:

Zeikin de Katta Hon

:woop: someone finally picked this up properly.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Fable is really good but the frequent rape-as-plot-device is getting old. Feel like the mangaka is self aware enough to do better.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Didn't see this posted RoR is BACK

https://mangadex.org/chapter/60e09657-298b-4caf-8839-18f597f6938b

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

This is so dumb. :allears:

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Is it just me or does the nefarious Japanese 'delinquent' always seem incredibly normal and mild by our standards?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

dipwood posted:

Is it just me or does the nefarious Japanese 'delinquent' always seem incredibly normal and mild by our standards?

I don't know if it's just because I mostly consume twee slice-of-life stories with hardly any real conflict, but I don't think I've ever come across a single instance where a character who is specifically referred to as a "delinquent" doesn't turn out to be The World's Nicest Idiot two panels later. You've got yankees and gyarus, whose crimes usually boil down to dying their hair, and you've got more stereotypical gangbangers (with the jacket, pompadour, punch perm and the like) who either turn out to have a heart of gold or are in fact common thugs, but in the latter case they'll never be referred to as "delinquents" because they'll just be background characters.

Outside of action stories where it's not rare to find petty criminals in lead or secondary roles, and the rare story that tackles troubled youth in a realistic way like Yomawari Sensei, I'm not really sure if I should take all those "Whoa! That person looks like a bad guy!!" moments as satirical takes on how obsessed Japanese society is with conforming, or as actual warning that you can become a social pariah in Japan for scowling in public.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SexyBlindfold posted:

I don't know if it's just because I mostly consume twee slice-of-life stories with hardly any real conflict, but I don't think I've ever come across a single instance where a character who is specifically referred to as a "delinquent" doesn't turn out to be The World's Nicest Idiot two panels later.

slam dunk has the delinquents doing crimes and regularly getting into gang fights

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I think its more just a matter of the current trend being to parody or subversions of the classic delinquent archetypes, but theres plenty of really good comics all over the place that deal with them seriously. A really good one I love is Bakuon Rettou, about the big biker gangs at their height in tokyo during the 80s.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The delinquents in Akira are pretty nasty. Also they're the main characters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

The delinquents in Akira are pretty nasty. Also they're the main characters.

Kaneda's great, yeah. The scene in the nurse's office is one of the coldest things I've seen from a protagonist, made all the better/worse by how casual it is.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
"Delinquent" also covers two superficially similar but actually very different groups of people. One is simply kids bucking against the cultural comformism, so they dress loud, act loud, etc, but don't really mean anything bad with it.
The other involves gangfights.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Kaneda's great, yeah. The scene in the nurse's office is one of the coldest things I've seen from a protagonist, made all the better/worse by how casual it is.

Though we're looking at really different time periods. Akira is 40 years old. I don't think there's really anything left of the militant student movements and even the disillusionment afterwards and we're looking at the echos of the echos as passed down through popular media.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Read through The Fable over the past couple weeks, thoughts: Very good. I couldn't stop reading most of the time. Art and expressions were on point. The only thing I didn't like were how The Satous were not really driving the plot forward. They were just reacting to things happening to them. Akira also had some serious Goku Syndrome with all the danger coalescing around him just because he exists. The blurry fist-fighting was also kinda lazy, they were portraying everything so realistic but those parts looked really strange, especially since in a lot of them aside from their arms, they were standing still. Otherwise, a great manga, 9/10.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dipwood posted:

Read through The Fable over the past couple weeks, thoughts: Very good. I couldn't stop reading most of the time. Art and expressions were on point. The only thing I didn't like were how The Satous were not really driving the plot forward. They were just reacting to things happening to them. Akira also had some serious Goku Syndrome with all the danger coalescing around him just because he exists. The blurry fist-fighting was also kinda lazy, they were portraying everything so realistic but those parts looked really strange, especially since in a lot of them aside from their arms, they were standing still. Otherwise, a great manga, 9/10.

Fable is best when it's doing comedy.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Any recommendations for manga like The Fable or GTO? With a focus more on adults than students, good comedy, Real Jobs, etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

dipwood posted:

Any recommendations for manga like The Fable or GTO? With a focus more on adults than students, good comedy, Real Jobs, etc.

Wave: Listen to me!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dipwood posted:

Planetes is good. Space garbagemen. You get comedy, character drama, mundane tasks, the trouble of smoking in space... It's by the guy who writes Vinland Saga, for whatever that means to you.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

Wave looks interesting, although it has an anime adaptation which makes me hesitate to read the manga. Always feel like I'll spoil myself for the eventual anime.

I have seen the PlanetES anime a long time ago and it was very good.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

dipwood posted:

Wave looks interesting, although it has an anime adaptation which makes me hesitate to read the manga. Always feel like I'll spoil myself for the eventual anime.

The anime was only one season and sadly not renewed. The manga has a good bit longer run (2-3x iirc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dipwood posted:

The manga for Planetes is very different (and, in my opinion, better). For the most blatant difference, the anime makes Ai Tanabe the primary viewpoint character, and has the Space Defense Front as a major plot throughout the show. Meanwhile, the manga doesn't introduce Ai until around a volume in, keeping Hachimaki as the usual focus character, while the SDF plotline is wrapped up relatively quickly.

It's worth reading the manga even if you've seen the anime, basically.

(Wave, from what I've seen, is a more direct adaptation, but the anime is only one cour with no indication yet of a sequel.)

Speaking of anime that don't have a sequel, Hinamatsuri is good. Not quite what you're looking for, since Nitta's regular job is with the Yakuza, but it's very funny.