Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

“You could say that Beyond Meat is taking a nose dive”

https://gizmodo.com/beyond-meat-nose-bite-taco-bell-plant-based-1849563464/amp

“He bit beyond meat and into the cartilage”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'm no longer nosey about why beyond meat always tasted a little off

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Goatse toastie?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Toastse

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Steve Yun posted:

“You could say that Beyond Meat is taking a nose dive”

https://gizmodo.com/beyond-meat-nose-bite-taco-bell-plant-based-1849563464/amp

“He bit beyond meat and into the cartilage”

BYND has been nosediving for a long time.

How do we know this isn't just the first time he got caught?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Cassius Belli posted:

BYND has been nosediving for a long time.

How do we know this isn't just the first time he got caught?

I hope they do ok. I really love their products.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sounds like an investment opportunity to me. :dance:

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

therattle posted:

I hope they do ok. I really love their products.

The Panda Express beyond orange chicken is genuinely good, I prefer it over the actual chicken

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hawkperson posted:

The Panda Express beyond orange chicken is genuinely good, I prefer it over the actual chicken

I think their burgers are better than about 90% of burgers I’ve had. The sausages are really good too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The only time I've seen beyond meat in real life was on a night shift in the ICU, a vegetarian nurse I worked with ordered takeout from I think A&W and vomited immediately after eating it. Maybe she doesn't like meat texture who knows.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Beyond definitely fails the ground beef verisimilitude test in burgers

But if you stop thinking of it as fake ground beef and think of it as seasoned protein it’s not bad. Kind of works if you think of it more like a meatloaf/tvp/Japanese hamburg

In Taco Bell burritos it kind of doesn’t matter

I guess the initial rush of curiosity is over and it’s settled into a back burner interest at restaurants

Hmmm… Impossible foods isn’t public atm

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

When it comes to getting food out, I've found I've preferred Impossible's burgers over Beyond's. But when it comes to cooking for myself, I've preferred Beyond's grounds and breakfast sausage style patties over Impossible's.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I freaking love Beyond. We’re meat eaters, doing 3 racks of ribs tomorrow, but still go through at least 1 pack of Beyond per week. It doesn’t taste like meat though.

Impossible is MUCH closer to actual meat. They’re both good for what they are.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I miss loving next to Grocery Outlet and the end cap freezers full of 80 cent impossible patties. I bought so so many back in 2020. I find beyond meat far too sweet.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Hawkperson posted:

I had it a few weeks ago and wasn’t impressed. I think impossible burgers are indistinguishable from fast food beef burgers, for the record.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Not enough salt. Makes them stand out more.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Chemmy posted:

I had it a few weeks ago and wasn’t impressed. I think impossible burgers are indistinguishable from fast food beef burgers, for the record.

Yeah I like impossible burgers too. Unfortunately I am not into the cashew cheese that my local vegan place puts on their burgers, although I guess I could just ask them to leave it off

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I feel like vegan cheese and vegan eggs are going to be harder to develop than the meat alternatives. By that I mean "cheese" that has the same consistency when melted, or "eggs" that can be scrambled.

Cheese-like sauces or egg replacers in baked goods are probably not too hard.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Eeyo posted:

I feel like vegan cheese and vegan eggs are going to be harder to develop than the meat alternatives. By that I mean "cheese" that has the same consistency when melted, or "eggs" that can be scrambled.

Doesn't vegan cheese already exist and work fine?

MarsPearl
Feb 19, 2021

mystes posted:

There's very very few vegan cheeses that are anything but disgusting gluey starch goop.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
JustEgg scrambles really nice actually. I think it's mostly mung beans.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mystes posted:

They vary wildly in quality

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Eeyo posted:

Vegan egg substitute works great in most applications, especially baking.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The thing about imitations is that they become very tasty if you don’t regularly eat the source material. Give up dairy for a year or two and a so-so imitation cheese hits the spot. Partner is dairy free and recently most of our friends are vegetarian, so we end up hosting or eating veggie a lot. I still love butter, but for heavy cream dishes like alfredo, I far prefer a cashew based sauce.

I will say I haven’t figured out a good swap for desserts with cream. Full fat coconut milk can work great in cakes 1:1, but gets grainy and imparts heavy flavor in ice creams and custards.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Purple tomatoes are coming soon

Genetically modified to contain anthocyanins

Maybe lower your risk of cancer

https://www.globenewsinsider.com/2022/09/26/researchers-have-prepared-purple-tomatoes-with-anti-cancer-properties-know-its-benefits/

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hear me out

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Lets make every food purple. I love royal meals

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

Purple tomatoes are coming soon

Genetically modified to contain anthocyanins

Maybe lower your risk of cancer

https://www.globenewsinsider.com/2022/09/26/researchers-have-prepared-purple-tomatoes-with-anti-cancer-properties-know-its-benefits/

can't wait to make a purple red sauce with these bad boys

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
First things I’m doing with them:

Purple bruschetta
Purple gazpacho
Purple chicken tikka masala

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

But purple tomatoes were already a thing?

https://bonnieplants.com/products/cherokee-purple-heirloom-tomato

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I was going to say I was pretty sure I've seen purple heirloom tomatos

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

That’s what I thought!

Doom Rooster posted:

First things I’m doing with them:

Purple bruschetta
Purple gazpacho
Purple chicken tikka masala

There is a company here in the UK that imports a lot of premium food from Spain and they have their own branded gazpacho. They recently started doing a beetroot one; it’s got pickle juice and cumin as prominent flavour elements and it is DELICIOUS. We were already going through substantial quantities of regular gazpacho (Alvalle; excellent) but are probably drinking even more. My wife is slightly gazpacho obsessed and my son loves it too, especially the beetroot one. He often has a glass with breakfast (and then goes to school reeking).

Our fridge, now. (Not pictured: open carton in the door)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

That’s not purple that’s like a maroon or burgundy at best

These new ones are like grimace purple, and not just in the skin but all through the flesh. They got so much anthocyanins they’re gonna eat your cancer’s rear end

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I bought that.

It tasted exactly the same, soi don't see what the problem is.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, I've grow purple-as-in-aubergine cherry tomatoes. The start out green with some purple dappling, ripen to eggplant purple and some retain some mottled green, and then they turn almost black red (think a dry bedded black krim) if they get overripe. From the garden a couple years ago:

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Sure there were already purple tomatoes, but these new ones are commercially harvestable and viable so we can have them underripe and flavorless all year round

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Sure there were already purple tomatoes, but these new ones are commercially harvestable and viable so we can have them underripe and flavorless all year round

Still relevant:

https://www.audible.com/pd/Tomatoland-Audiobook/B005QDNZQC?ref=web_search_eac_asin_1&qid=DCaPmaDRFl&sr=1-1

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
As a matter of fact, I grew Cherokee purple tomatoes in my garden last year. They were fantastic. I switched over to Golden Jubilee‘s this year and while these were great, I will be switching back to the Cherokee purples next year. They grow to a really big plant they averaged about 8 foot high and were plentiful. I would really recommend growing that variety if you can if you’re in the right temperature zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I grew some a couple years back and yeah, they're super delicious. Mine kept splitting though.