Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

My favorite part about suicide cables is that every single time they come anywhere online, there are guaranteed to be a ton of morons in the comments insisting that while yes, they are very dangerous, they know better and their setup is perfectly safe.

Every. Single. Time.

this is the thing about human stupidity at large, a constant steam of idiots who have yet to burn down their house stepping into the void left behind by the idiots who burned their houses down and learned some humility, maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

why is the wall plugged into the wall

Smart Walls. There's an app. Puts you in complete control over your walls. Only $5 a month!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

"You know power outages - so inconvenient, right? So what we're going to do is wall a diesel standby generator in where the laundry chute used to be, route the exhaust into the second bedroom, put it on an automatic bypass switch made out of two tin cans and a 1901 penny I found in the foundation, and then connect it into the house with a suicide cable."

"Sounds great, Bob."

This is just Tool Time

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

My favorite part about suicide cables is that every single time they come anywhere online, there are guaranteed to be a ton of morons in the comments insisting that while yes, they are very dangerous, they know better and their setup is perfectly safe.

Every. Single. Time.

Yeah they should really be called gross negligence cables

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
some people think every idea that pops into their head must be smart because they had it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

number go up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

from the pages of Architectural Digest.........

https://twitter.com/TheAshleyClem/status/1573359733503070208

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lol but also guest rooms are stupid anyways, wow let me pay tens of thousands of dollars more for my home for a room that will be used twice a year

unless it's something you can utilize the rest of the year for some other purpose, then it's w/e

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

The biggest problem with a guest room is that if I have one, then my family will want to come over and stay with me.

Also dining room, let's reserve an entire room with doors for eating a meal. Get out the gold rimmed plateware, my stay at home wife spent 6 hours cooking a roast. But first, let us pray. You're the guest -- why don't you get us started?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
poo poo who needs a house anyway all I really need to do to survive is drink fresh water and eat freshwater salmon and hibernate in my den six months a year, gently caress

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
two houses on my street that would have been sold in a day are still for sale a week later. even in the “cheaper” market of west Michigan poo poo is cooling.

I know one of the families and they bought a house in a pricier part of the area but I know their incomes don’t match it. it’s more about how they bought their house 10 years ago at 120 and now on market for 315.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
my guest room is my couch

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

actionjackson posted:

number go up

:eyepop:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

we all knew it was coming, but still

endless sigh

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I want 6.9% because that’s the funny sex number

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol. $130k house on 40 acres I posted about earlier this week went from pending to knocking the price down to $100k flat in the past 3 days.

Also the "owner financing possible" string in the listing is now capitalized with many !!! after it. Lmao.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
It's interesting because with everybody who was lucky enough to buy a home (well, that needed to get a mortgage for it, anyway) having locked in crazy low rates just a year ago, the only people who are willingly selling in a time of falling prices are people who really need to sell, which is probably gonna push prices down even further. Eventually, I'm sure we'll see another Blackrock scooping them all up on the cheap and loving everybody else over, but for now, poo poo's gonna probably get pretty wild.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

bitmap posted:

living in europe and watching americans posting their bad houses and crazy prices :yum:

Just had a fun time looking up price to income ratio for various cities around the world.

Vancouver - 12.25
New York - 9.92
San Francisco - 6.42
Philadelphia - 3.84

Where I live:

Auckland - 12.69 (nice)

Which is obviously insanely unaffordable but also it's been that way for years and doesn't seem to be getting any better, so just because something's insane and unaffordable doesn't mean it can't be that way for decades

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Do you get any government incentives or tax advantages in for owning a home in Auckland? I had the impression that Australia was subsidizing homeowners to a large degree but I know even less about New Zealand.

This looks rather dire but then again its a small price to pay for proximity to New Eden Stadium. You could get munted and stagger over to watch the All Blacks.
https://www.realestate.co.nz/42125532/residential/sale/25-bellwood-avenue-mount-eden

Asking price is... $1,016,000 in USD.
Are 30 year fixed mortgages available, or is everything a ~5 year adjustable rate?

edit: I see many houses for auction but without a listed asking price, Auckland seems very expensive indeed if there aren't any houses listed for under 2,000,000 and you have to go to auction to have a chance.

palindrome has issued a correction as of 07:58 on Sep 24, 2022

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

palindrome posted:

Do you get any government incentives or tax advantages in for owning a home in Auckland? I had the impression that Australia was subsidizing homeowners to a large degree but I know even less about New Zealand.

This looks rather dire but then again its a small price to pay for proximity to New Eden Stadium. You could get munted and stagger over to watch the All Blacks.
https://www.realestate.co.nz/42125532/residential/sale/25-bellwood-avenue-mount-eden

Asking price is... $1,016,000 in USD.
Are 30 year fixed mortgages available, or is everything a ~5 year adjustable rate?

edit: I see many houses for auction but without a listed asking price, Auckland seems very expensive indeed if there aren't any houses listed for under 2,000,000 and you have to go to auction to have a chance.

No such thing as a 30 year fixed mortgage, the longest is usually 5 years, but more often 2 or 1 year. Interest rates on a 5 year fixed mortgage here are around 6 to 7%.

The vast majority of properties have been going to auction because they might be able to get more money that way, although in the last 6 months or so only about 25% of properties were actually selling at auction here, so most were eventually going to negotiation.

I don't believe there are any tax incentives for individual home buyers here like there are in Australia, at least none I could make use of that I know of.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
can any Canadians advise on how the hell people can afford homes there? it’s tough here in the states but I’m sure wages aren’t that much higher up there for homes 2x the value.

is it like in hot us markets where you either bought a house 20 years ago and your equity can buy a house or parent loans?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Blackhawk posted:

No such thing as a 30 year fixed mortgage, the longest is usually 5 years, but more often 2 or 1 year. Interest rates on a 5 year fixed mortgage here are around 6 to 7%.

this is the crazy poo poo to me. the mortgages in Canada, Australia and parts of Europe are just brutal and the prices are still so high.

it’s an ominous flashing neon sign with klaxons blaring warning danger for what could happen here.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

sonatinas posted:

can any Canadians advise on how the hell people can afford homes there? it’s tough here in the states but I’m sure wages aren’t that much higher up there for homes 2x the value.

is it like in hot us markets where you either bought a house 20 years ago and your equity can buy a house or parent loans?

My cousin in Canada got a home by buying a plot of land and, being a licensed carpenter, built his own house.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

Just had a fun time looking up price to income ratio for various cities around the world.

Vancouver - 12.25
New York - 9.92
San Francisco - 6.42
Philadelphia - 3.84

Where I live:

Auckland - 12.69 (nice)

Which is obviously insanely unaffordable but also it's been that way for years and doesn't seem to be getting any better, so just because something's insane and unaffordable doesn't mean it can't be that way for decades

where are you getting 6.4 for SF? when I saw a list it was 10-11

hong kong was 23 lol

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I dont suppose anyone here has built their own house in ireland

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

actionjackson posted:

where are you getting 6.4 for SF? when I saw a list it was 10-11

hong kong was 23 lol

My guess would be using mean instead of median, which is incredibly biased in any of the billionaire-housing markets.

Median household income is 120k and median house is 1.5 million in SF.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

bitmap posted:

I dont suppose anyone here has built their own house in ireland

I might have done that...hard to remember though rly

nah on second though I don't think I did

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

cool av posted:

I might have done that...hard to remember though rly

nah on second though I don't think I did

oh! well thankyou anyway

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Is this the highest YoY hike in mortgage rates historically, by percentage?

quote:

The average rate on a 30-year fixed mortgage rose to 6.29% this week, up from 6.02% the previous week, mortgage finance giant Freddie Mac reported on Thursday.

A year ago at this time, the 30-year rate was averaging 2.88%.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willa Rogers posted:

Is this the highest YoY hike in mortgage rates historically, by percentage?

nah there were bigger hikes in the 80s, even comparing to the starting point. 8->18%. this is fast approaching that though.

this is so far comparable to the 90s i think, but we're gonna see it go beyond that and maybe rival the 80s, but we're starting from a lower point.

anime was right has issued a correction as of 19:22 on Sep 24, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anime was right posted:

nah there were bigger hikes in the 80s, even comparing to the starting point. 8->18%. this is fast approaching that though.

this is so far comparable to the 90s i think, but we're gonna see it go beyond that and maybe rival the 80s, but we're starting from a lower point.

yes it topped out at 18%, but the median income to median home price ratio was much lower then.

I would love to find out what it was between 1950-1984

actionjackson posted:

here's my incredibly lazily produced chart of median sold home price / median real household income, using FRED data. They only had median income back to 1984.

anyway lol

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Sep 24, 2022

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah the affordability is a completely different scenario. median income to house price was like what, 1:5? on top of a lower CoL. it was much easier to accumulate a 20%-40% down payment in that era or even just save cash with you + your parents money with a union gig.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

anime was right posted:

yeah the affordability is a completely different scenario. median income to house price was like what, 1:5? on top of a lower CoL. it was much easier to accumulate a 20%-40% down payment in that era or even just save cash with you + your parents money with a union gig.

Yeah, people treating home prices as the only component (or even the most important one) for affordability is very frustrating.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

here's a few numbers I found

1968 21700/7005
1975 32700/11000

so around three

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

this is the crazy poo poo to me. the mortgages in Canada, Australia and parts of Europe are just brutal and the prices are still so high.

it’s an ominous flashing neon sign with klaxons blaring warning danger for what could happen here.

The 30 year fixed rate, government-backed mortgage and the notional idea of everyone (well not Those People but everyone else) being able to a detached sfh on a cul de sac is one of those uniquely American fictions that everyone here seems to assume is a Normal Natural Thing but is actually a massive government welfare program

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I know all that.

what’s stunning is that those other countries without that subsidy have housing inflation as bad or worse. how do you get those bubbles with such bad lending terms?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I know all that.

what’s stunning is that those other countries without that subsidy have housing inflation as bad or worse. how do you get those bubbles with such bad lending terms?

You are looking at some of the most expensive cities in the world in those comparisons, with the added point that those are generally very restricted, tiny areas. A quick google shows that Auckland has an area of 419sq miles, compared to SF with a metro area of 3500 sq miles.

But the other thing to keep in mind is the alternative: renting.

Here's a comparison of price-to-rent ratio around the world.
So this is price of the average square meter at city center to yearly rent of the square meter at city center:

https://www.numbeo.com/property-investment/rankings_by_country.jsp?title=2020&displayColumn=3

As you can see, the ratio for the US is really low. Meaning that compared to the rest of the world, rents, compared to home prices, are super high.

So sure, it can be expensive to buy a house in Canada. But rents are relatively low, so you are paying a year essentially 1/23 of the price of the house in rents. In the US, that number is 9.6. Which means that in a year you are paying 1/9.6 of the price of the house in rent.

joepinetree has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Sep 24, 2022

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, people treating home prices as the only component (or even the most important one) for affordability is very frustrating.

That reminds me of a really good video on that topic I saw a couple months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkJlTKUaF3Q

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

joepinetree posted:

You are looking at some of the most expensive cities in the world in those comparisons, with the added point that those are generally very restricted, tiny areas. A quick google shows that Auckland has an area of 419sq miles, compared to SF with a metro area of 3500 sq miles.

But the other thing to keep in mind is the alternative: renting.

Here's a comparison of price-to-rent ratio around the world.
So this is price of the average square meter at city center to yearly rent of the square meter at city center:

https://www.numbeo.com/property-investment/rankings_by_country.jsp?title=2020&displayColumn=3

As you can see, the ratio for the US is really low. Meaning that compared to the rest of the world, rents, compared to home prices, are super high.

So sure, it can be expensive to buy a house in Canada. But rents are relatively low, so you are paying a year essentially 1/23 of the price of the house in rents. In the US, that number is 9.6. Which means that in a year you are paying 1/9.6 of the price of the house in rent.

Yeah basically the vast majority of people in Auckland that I'm aware of rent, and not just rent an apartment but generally rent a room in a share-house with a bunch of other people, because the majority of housing here is detached single-family type houses. Only recently there have been some zoning changes and there's a bit of a boom in apartment and town-house construction, but generally anybody younger than gen-x can't afford to buy here. Oh and also most banks won't lend to you unless you can stump up a 10 to 20% deposit, so you're looking at needing $100 to $200k cash to have the privilege of a crippling mortgage.

But yeah really I don't see why a similar thing couldn't happen in the USA, people seem to be hoping that things just can't get any worse but I could see housing in the USA getting significantly less affordable, because what are your options? Without housing you're pretty much done, better to go without food than housing if you've got the option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Blackhawk posted:

But yeah really I don't see why a similar thing couldn't happen in the USA, people seem to be hoping that things just can't get any worse but I could see housing in the USA getting significantly less affordable, because what are your options? Without housing you're pretty much done, better to go without food than housing if you've got the option.

This has been happening in my city for a long time, single family houses have been bought up by investors and split into 2-3 units. I don't think it's legal for Joe the Landlord to just take a single-family 3br/1ba house and rent the rooms yet with assumed communal access to the bathroom and kitchen but that's coming.