Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Heavily modded daggerfall 3rd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Ultra Realistic lighting was the worst thing that ever happened to graphics. Lighting in real life sucks. It’s full of blinding glare, doesn’t shine where you need it, has too much contrast, and doesn’t care about mood or tone. Why the hell would I want to replicate that in my game. And what the hell does “barely visible” even mean?! How visible do you want the image on the left to be game?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

As soon as he mentioned he was behind Daggerfall I wanted to punch him in the face and never touch this game. God what a loving shitshow that game was.

It actually bothers me that there's a lot of people who now go, "Daggerfall sure was fantastic." Motherfuckers, just try to play that flaming shipwreck unpatched and say that. After the fifth crash in an hour inbetween constantly falling through geometry and getting the exact same quest three times in a row, you won't be going "Daggerfall's a masterpiece!" The game sucked so hard they had to patch in hotkeys for skipping playing the game.

In short, gently caress that guy

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

galagazombie posted:

Ultra Realistic lighting was the worst thing that ever happened to graphics. Lighting in real life sucks. It’s full of blinding glare, doesn’t shine where you need it, has too much contrast, and doesn’t care about mood or tone. Why the hell would I want to replicate that in my game. And what the hell does “barely visible” even mean?! How visible do you want the image on the left to be game?

realism in general is a very bad thing in video games, doesn't matter if we're talking about rendering or mechanics.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

There is ultimate realism in tetris, the only true game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

SCheeseman posted:

Yeah it is, Elder Scrolls started as knockoff Ultima Underworld. The influences and lineage are pretty clear as is the intent, with a heavily simulated world and lots of player agency.

If anything, Bethesda created the first one with Terminator, an open world, open ended multi genre first person simulation of LA.

i know genre names are stupid as hell but you have to realize that "is immersive" and "simulates something" is not the qualification to be called an """immersive sim"""
none of the games you've listed are in that genre

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rutibex posted:

and minecraft makes morrowind look like crap. there has been a bit of progress in procedural generation since 1996

no it doesn't, morrowind has actual gameplay

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

There is ultimate realism in tetris, the only true game

We found the traitor lord Zim.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Tetris DS is the best version of Tetris. Since standard Tetris is eternal, what makes any version of Tetris better or worse than any other is the alternate game modes. DS has by far the most unique and fun ones. Especially Metroid mode.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

This video doesn't have enough in it for me to formulate an opinion about the game but ugh I hate everything about the way promotional content for games is made. 3 and a half minutes to showcase what makes their game cool

1) It opens with the guy talking about how he created Elder Scrolls and how innovative and groundbreaking Elder Scrolls was and how it pushed the boundaries of procedural generation and roleplaying. Okay so far so good, he's set the expectation that the game he's about to show me is going to once again push the boundaries of procedural generation and roleplaying.

2) "We've leveraged the power of modern tools like Unreal Engine" :barf: Literally 48% of next-gen games are using Unreal Engine, this is like an artist having an intro line saying "I've chosen Canvas to paint on because I can harness the unlimited power of the future with it"

3) Okay now they're showing off the first big feature that they harnessed modern tools to create. It's... it's procedural landscape generation where a heightmap is applied and then a texture is painted over. They make sure to point out the size of their open world as if a larger world is innovative groundbreaking technology, or as if making procedurally-generated-on-the-fly-in-gameplay landscapes larger is a feat of technical prowess and not just literally typing bigger numbers in a box during the dev process.

4) They zoom out from ground-level to an orbital view of the world to showcase this amazing technology but the framerate tanks as soon as they get to about a birds-eye level.

5) Next they brag about having buildings with random layouts. Wow, phenomenal. You've harnessed technology from the 80s quite well. Wow, some of the buildings even use different textures?! That's incredible, guy, how'd you do that?!

6) There's a large cinematic segment where the guy stops talking and they showcase building interiors set to orchestral music. Every single room shown is a completely empty rectangle. What they're showing off is that they have more than one wall texture and more than one floor texture. next fuckin' generation. Oh poo poo! You even have windows too?!

7) The next segment is about their groundbreaking procedural dungeon generation. They brag about how the dungeons are generated on the fly - holy poo poo, computers can do that? Then they showcase the dungeons it generates. It's on par with the procedural generation I've seen from solo indie traditional roguelike developers who are taking their first steps developing their first-ever game. Literally just... square and rectangle rooms connected by hallways. No furniture, no deviation, no interesting shapes or variation. But it's in 3d, so they take a moment to provide you with sweeping fly-over scenes of these basic-rear end roguelike maps.

8) Then they switch to first-person view and enter a dungeon and show you that different rooms have furniture in them! Goddamn! There are... barrels. And tables. And treasure chests and beds. The footage cuts between several different scenes of the player standing in the center of different rooms showcasing that some rooms have beds and some don't. Don't know about you all but I'm hype as gently caress right now.

9) Then they show that there's a skeleton in the dungeon and the player kicks it in slow-motion and the corpse ragdolls and gibs into various bones.

10) Then it cuts to concept art and the guy says "Working together in unity, these systems and more will create a roleplaying experience that exceeds expectations" which is perhaps cleverly worded because right now my only expectation is that this game will exist as at least a prototype tech demo at some point in the future.

And that's the loving end of the video. What expectations is it setting? How will it exceed them? What's going to be even remotely unique or interesting about this game? It was all marketing buzzwords! I get someone wanting to show off their work but at least tell us what interesting directions you plan to take it in!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 24, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

no it doesn't, morrowind has actual gameplay

Morrowind's gameplay is objectively worse than Minecraft's. When I swing my sword while in range of an enemy in Minecraft, the enemy gets hit and takes damage. When I do the same in Morrowind, there's a ~75% chance that nothing at all will happen. The graphical representation of you, your weapon, and the enemy might seem to indicate that you're involved in a skill based melee battle, but under the hood the game is just playing knucklebones. It's MMO gameplay except the auto attack isn't auto.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

galagazombie posted:

The best part is how they then use that same "barely visible" as the baseline visibility of "important but in the dark" objects and items, making their entire game barely visible except for the tiny little patches of light.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/TTFD1r3.mp4
(Footage from a player who said 'gently caress you' when the devs said to make the image on the left barely visible)

https://i.imgur.com/bwkkc3h.mp4
(Footage from a chump who made the image on the left barely visible)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 24, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Sorry about your fading vision, grandpa

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Much like difficulty there should only be one setting for brightness, and that setting is as bright as possible and with Japanese voice acting with subtitles for everything.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Redezga posted:

Much like difficulty there should only be one setting for brightness, and that setting is as bright as possible and with Japanese voice acting with subtitles for everything.

The subtitles are also in Japanese.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The greatest thing Nintendo could do is have a few total failures like the Wii U in a row. It sucks that the Switch has done well. Everyone would have been better off if Nintendo just gave up on hardware and went software only.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Actually it'd be cool if Nintendo could start releasing good hardware. Maybe they could start releasing good games, too

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

QuarkJets posted:

Actually it'd be cool if Nintendo could start releasing good hardware. Maybe they could start releasing good games, too

That's right. I forgot, Nintendo barely ever even releases games any more. And most of what they release is just rehashes or remasters of old games.

Nintendo is actually the worst of the big 3. At least they treat their employees well. It would be nice if they treated their customers well, too.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I feel like the switch has had maybe 3 games in the past 3 years.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Switch is the indie game and Splatoon machine in 2022.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

galagazombie posted:

Tetris DS is the best version of Tetris. Since standard Tetris is eternal, what makes any version of Tetris better or worse than any other is the alternate game modes. DS has by far the most unique and fun ones. Especially Metroid mode.

I spent years looking for a cheap portable Tetris player that was as good as the version of Kellogg's Tetris Watch version of the game. I even bought an official Tetris game keychain that wasn't as fun for me as that watch version was.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's best selling game is a port.
It's highest rated game is a port.
Nintendo fans are weird and think it's the greatest thing ever. Many of them are still playing Pokemon, though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Better 3 good games than 0 like Sony and Microsoft. I don’t even remember the last time Microsoft developed/published a game I liked. They came out swinging on the original Xbox but they just lost whatever fire they had midway through the 360 era.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah pretty much, console gaming has been a waste for over a decade

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Consoles made sense back when graphics processing solutions were still in their wild west era and every company had its own homegrown solution. FX chip, Blast Processing, Emotion Engine, etc. Now that everyone is just running a slightly modified AMD GPU, consoles are basically prebuilt home theater PCs with access to one particular software walled garden.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

Consoles made sense back when graphics processing solutions were still in their wild west era and every company had its own homegrown solution. FX chip, Blast Processing, Emotion Engine, etc. Now that everyone is just running a slightly modified AMD GPU, consoles are basically prebuilt home theater PCs with access to one particular software walled garden.

They are also way cheaper and don't require extra effort to configure them for every game. Consoles kick rear end for the investment and to pretend otherwise makes you out of touch with the modern zeitgeist.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

They are also way cheaper and don't require extra effort to configure them for every game. Consoles kick rear end for the investment and to pretend otherwise makes you out of touch with the modern zeitgeist.

Oh no, not the modern zeitgeist! Most people play games on their phones these days, my dude.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Then why are you complaining about consoles?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Then why are you complaining about consoles?

Why not? They kind of suck.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I appreciate your unpopular opinion, but you're wrong imo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Your "modern zeitgeist" is 20 years out of date lol

itry
Aug 23, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

Your "modern zeitgeist" is 20 years out of date lol

But so is Nintendo, so it works out :japan:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Consoles are cool because they're basically as good as the 2nd highest video card and they're half the price of building a :airquote: gaming rig :airquote: Also you can talk to the bros at work about Call of Duty or whatever without nerding people out. Plus consoles get (almost all) the best games first, if you're into that sort of thing.

Consoles are dumb because they're basically multiplayer internet boxes, which attracts & enables the worst people to ruin every online multiplayer experience. They're also dumb because its a crap shoot if you have the right console to play the console exclusive game, and consoles are too expensive to really own multiple ones, especially with the paid multiplayer subscription poo poo.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Consoles are great if you're a cool guy that likes to relax, pcs are for dudes who want to get super intense about Path of Exile builds or whatever

Vampire Panties posted:

Consoles are dumb because they're basically multiplayer internet boxes, which attracts & enables the worst people to ruin every online multiplayer experience.

Consoles are way less toxic than PCs nowadays and PCs are full of hackers and bots. PC gaming is full of angry weirdos who play MOBAs and Valorant or whatever.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
pc has like 100x more cool/weird indie games though
dont even need an expensive rig to play them

play demoncrawl:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Vampire Panties posted:

Consoles are cool because they're basically as good as the 2nd highest video card and they're half the price of building a :airquote: gaming rig :airquote:

if you want a super powerful dedicated machine, sure. But if you have a PC anyway for non-gaming reasons, which a lot of people do, then you just need a decent video card, and that's only if you want to play AAA fpses or whatever. Until I can post on SA, do my taxes, apply for jobs, and watch dumb internet videos all on an xbox, pc gaming is way way more accessible, from a monetary perspective. I speak from experience: there are a few console-exclusive games from the past decade or so that I'd like to play, but I am too poor :(

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

PC gamers are way more likely to buy 600 dollar video cards and then just go back to playing Binding of Isaac for another 1000 hours though, which is a very inefficient use of money.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Video games as a whole and as a culture are incredibly uncool these days. I don't mean people think video games are uncool, people think video games are very cool, but since video games are made for those people these days, video games are incredibly uncool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

PC gamers are way more likely to buy 600 dollar video cards and then just go back to playing Binding of Isaac for another 1000 hours though, which is a very inefficient use of money.

If you look at Steam hardware statistics most players are on mid-tier or budget cards. The most popular GPU is the GTX 1060, which was $300 MSRP 6 years ago. The second most popular card is the GTX 1650, $150 MSRP 3 years ago.