Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

tbh I was perfectly okay with the general ghost speed up because before all of two ghost types were actually threatening during hunts, with the rest being jokes that got even less threatening on big maps. Now hunts are actually scary and that's cool with me, even if they perhaps tilted too much the other direction with all the changes.

I do think the devs have tweaked it back enough now with all the small updates since that Professional is still fun but tense. Phasmo's always been rough on newbies because of the lack of real info on how many things function in game but half the fun was learning them originally for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

Sagebrush posted:

Tuning the difficulty is still #1 on my list. I have had a lot of fun introducing people to Phasmophobia, but even on the easiest settings it's super hard when you're a newbie.

I want to set it up so that:

- ghosts do creepy poo poo more often
- ghosts leave more obvious evidence (no disappearing fingerprints!!)
- ghosts hunt less often
- ghosts walk more slowly
- ghosts sometimes just disappear when they catch up to you, instead of killing you 100% of the time
- you have a chance to save someone being killed by a ghost, e.g. by throwing a crucifix at them to banish it

yes this would make it a rather different game, and way easier for the pros, but I think it would be a lot more fun just as an experience rather than a game. as it is, for someone who's playing for the first time in VR, if a hunt starts they're just dead. no chance of escape. I want them to be able to experience some of the creepy crawly poo poo and get sufficiently spooked out first.

Yeah, I mean, I would be down with all this. A kind of Casual/Story mode. I think the Crucifix (well, technically a Cross..) implementation is a bit weird, I think we all when we start playing assume that you can just walk about holding it and you'll be protected, like, every single vampire movie or what have you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, I feel like the crucifix and the smudge stick are not properly differentiated.

The smudge stick should burn for like 3 minutes and prevent hunts entirely in the room it's in, or within a certain radius, as long as it's burning. And that's all it does.

The crucifix should be a one shot item that will prevent you from being killed. If you have it out in your hand when a ghost tries to grab your face, it shrieks and disappears and the crucifix melts.

Again yeah that would make it easy for pros, but it would fit better with how newbies think the game should work. Whenever I played it with new people, someone always grabs a crucifix because duh, a cross protects you from ghosts right? There shouldn't have to be any further explanation.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

The smudge stick should burn for like 3 minutes and prevent hunts entirely in the room it's in, or within a certain radius, as long as it's burning. And that's all it does.

That's mostly what it does do - if you smudge a ghost room the ghost can't hunt for 90 seconds (3 minutes for one type of ghost) and increases the likelihood of ghost events.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

tight aspirations posted:

That's mostly what it does do - if you smudge a ghost room the ghost can't hunt for 90 seconds (3 minutes for one type of ghost) and increases the likelihood of ghost events.

Doesn't it only have an effect when you light it and when it goes out? So all the time in between when it's actually smoking, it's not actually doing anything? It should just be a fire and forget (if we're talking about this hypothetical newbie mode.)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Yoshimo posted:

Doesn't it only have an effect when you light it and when it goes out? So all the time in between when it's actually smoking, it's not actually doing anything? It should just be a fire and forget (if we're talking about this hypothetical newbie mode.)

Yep, it does one 5-meter (iirc) check when you light it. The smoking is now just a visual indicator for how long the smudge effect lasts, which is useful during a hunt because once the smoke's gone you know the ghost is going back to check the last place it saw you

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Yoshimo posted:

Afaik, the disrupting a ghosts hunt ability while it hunts is separate to the preventing a hunt ability when used in the ghost room.

I've heard that the anti-hunt trigger is a 5m radius pulse when you light it, and again when it goes out, so theoretically you can get two smudge effects per use.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

tight aspirations posted:

Afaik, the disrupting a ghosts hunt ability while it hunts is separate to the preventing a hunt ability when used in the ghost room.

I've heard that the anti-hunt trigger is a 5m radius pulse when you light it, and again when it goes out, so theoretically you can get two smudge effects per use.

It's confirmed that it's only once when you initially light it unfortunately. It used to do a pulse in the beginning at at the end, but now it's only in the beginning.

This video breaks it down pretty well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04mRYUjgsms

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ah, fair enough, thanks. This is part of what I love about phasmo, the kind of accumulation of folk knowledge about the ghosts and their behaviours and even the equipment that almost rivals real folklore.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

The VR update is out (full notes here). I can't comment on most of it since I only have PSVR and it's not available on that platform, but there are some smaller general updates for everybody, including the much-needed "unlimited sprinting after you've been killed" and "more names" updates.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Played for a few rounds with friends last night to get re-acclimated for the big update soon and wow, I hadn't played since like May or so and they really made the ghost AI way more drawn to technology than they used to. Ghost was hunting on the completely other side of the house and I did the ol "split second radio toggle" to see if it was still hunting and it immediately stopped patrolling and beelined straight for my location and got me. Won't be making that mistake again.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Yeah, barring a particular ghost type you really can't have a single electronic on or the ghost will just find your hiding spot.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
In VR, I now have muscle memory to throw anything in my hands on the ground whenever a hunt begins. I've lost so many lighters that way

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

there should be a ghost that gets pissed off from smudging and more likely to hunt

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Professor Wayne posted:

In VR, I now have muscle memory to throw anything in my hands on the ground whenever a hunt begins. I've lost so many lighters that way

Yeah those need a bright color or make the metal super shiny.

I set it on a table once, pretty sure the ghost smacked it or one of us did, and I spent about 5 minutes looking for it cause I really want the ghost to blow out a candle.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Professor Wayne posted:

realistic game

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I got a chance to try Phas in VR this past weekend, and hoooooollllllly poo poo, it felt way different than on the monitor. Levels felt way bigger. Just did Tanglewood, but despite some graphical jaggies, the neighborhood actually kinda of felt like I was on a suburban street somewhere. Being able to get way closer to objects was bizarre. And lastly, I stuck around for a hunt, and was promptly murdered by the ghost. My buddy was recording me with his phone, and got a great vid of me letting out a scream when the ghost hunted basically right in front of me and instant-killed my dumb rear end :iia:

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Did you play before the big VR overhaul a few months back? The overall experience is better now, but I'm a little nostalgic for all the jank that used to be in the game. VR players used to be gods with our glitching through walls, exclusive safe spots, and, my favorite, being able to have no hitbox if you would physically lie on the ground during a hunt. If people annoyed me, I would just lie down on my apartment floor and lead the ghost to them. And I feel like the game never loses its spookiness in VR, especially if you're the last person alive and are alone in the map.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

I got a chance to try Phas in VR this past weekend, and hoooooollllllly poo poo, it felt way different than on the monitor. Levels felt way bigger. Just did Tanglewood, but despite some graphical jaggies, the neighborhood actually kinda of felt like I was on a suburban street somewhere. Being able to get way closer to objects was bizarre. And lastly, I stuck around for a hunt, and was promptly murdered by the ghost. My buddy was recording me with his phone, and got a great vid of me letting out a scream when the ghost hunted basically right in front of me and instant-killed my dumb rear end :iia:

we're going to need to see that video. Thank you for your cooperation.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

https://twitter.com/KineticGame/status/1574723608726966273?t=59XCCqIr3oVMGHL9HhYXsg&s=19

It's happening! Very excited to see all the new things and changes.

I for one look forward to getting killed by a flying beer can thrown by a ghost.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
New asylum is pretty cool!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I had a break at work today and walked around the new maps for a bit. Seems like they went ham with the new asylum. It is huge and looks to be packed with content. The new camp site is way smaller than I was expecting. Makes it seem like every hunt could be dangerous there. I'm pumped about playing later tonight.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gently caress yeah custom difficulty. Finally! I had a blast doing a VR phasmophobia halloween party last year, but all the changes since then made it way too hard for newbies. Maybe I will actually be able to do it again this year by turning some stuff down. Ghost speed down, no more changing rooms, fingerprints stay, event chance up. Hell yeah

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Can't wait to try out the new stuff! Can anyone confirm whether the custom difficulties let you essentially turn the ghosts off so you can just explore the map?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I'm pretty sure you can turn off hunts

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

they should let you turn ghosts off but then give a 1% chance for an aggressive demon to spawn anyway

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Professor Wayne posted:

I'm pretty sure you can turn off hunts

Sweet ty

Before all the big changes started coming through I was going through maps and recording stuff to see if I could build some kind of gaaaaaaaame theeeeeeeoryyyyy about the world and why it is the way it is (e.g. why is the high school surrounded by a dead blackened forest) and hunts kept interrupting lol

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Just did some exploration of the new maps with hunts turned off and even with that in mind the new asylum is creepy as hell though I think the more overt portions of it go a little too far into horror movie territory. There’s something much more sinister to the house maps about the juxtaposition of the mundane and the supernatural that gets lost when the map includes mutilated and decaying bodies and ultra-Satan cult nonsense.

The new campsite is just as scary but in a different way because it’s so small that every hunt is probably going to end in a murder.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I still think the most obvious oversight is an old Victorian mansion. A classic haunted house.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Update is pretty great! Sunny Meadows is very creepy, and the restricted version is a great way to keep the small map-only crowd interested. New camp seems pretty dangerous as well. Love having loadouts, though a few parts of the new loadout setup interface are confusing to me. Haven’t had time to touch custom difficulty yet.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Don't really like the new shop ui

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I still think the most obvious oversight is an old Victorian mansion. A classic haunted house.

That and a hotel really.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

needs a haunted castle imo

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Graveyard, an old lovely boat, night at the museum. Maybe a creepy lab like the end of every resident evil

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I'm pissed that my pal Spooky Steve is gone from the new office. Bring back Spooky Steve and his rafters!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Don't worry, now we get Jiggles instead. Also Jenga, and sacrificing Spooky Steve to make Jenga available is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Spooky Steve was just a contractor the company hired to expand the garage

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

This release feels really loving buggy. Constantly everyone getting unready'd when trying to select maps, and we discovered randomly (altho only a few times this happened) one of us could not hear anyone on radio but could hear the others locally. Kind of a bummer

and this isn't a bug or anything but it was funny that we found the tarot deck and literally all but 2 cards in it were fools.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 28, 2022

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

I just spent some time trying to play it with a friend in VR. It's completely busted right now. After about 10-15 min, it would crash whenever I went into the van., and I have a very beefy pc. Guess I'll see if it's fixed this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Professor Wayne posted:

Graveyard, an old lovely boat, night at the museum. Maybe a creepy lab like the end of every resident evil

A ghost ship! The carnival cruise is haunted.