Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Max performance on the market right now is a SK hynix P41, but that will probably change when the Samsung 990 comes out (and if you have a PCIe 5 mobo to put it in).

The 990 was officially announced as a PCIe4 drive, contrary to rumours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you're regularly doing massive write operations, then these tests from TechPowerUp will generally tell you which drive does this fastest:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/netac-nv7000-2-tb-m-2-nvme-ssd/6.html

The SN770 at least has a pretty massive SLC cache to make up for the fact that it's TLC is so slow.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Speaking of the SN770, the 1TB drive is $80 at amazon for the next day: https://www.amazon.com/WD_BLACK-SN7...9&creative=9325

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

SN850X 2TB for $205 when using the "SAVEMORE" coupon code: https://www.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-black-sn850x-nvme-ssd#WDS200T2X0E

This drive just came out last month. It seems to be the same as the SN850 but a bit faster in sustained and random read/writes, more power efficient, and it has a gimmicky "game mode" that doesn't seem to do anything, according to the Toms Hardware review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/wd-black-sn850x-ssd-review-back-in-black

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 3, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The SN850 has a game mode in the WD tool as well, I think it just keeps the pcie link active and doesn’t allow it to drop into sleep states. Really won’t make much of a difference.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

From the Tom's Hardware review: "The SN850's Gaming Mode worked by disabling lower power states, ensuring the drive would be more responsive. [The SN850X's] Game Mode 2.0 works differently with a three-pronged approach: predictive loading, adaptive thermal management, and overhead balancing."

It doesn't seem to have any tangible effect.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah nothing worth paying anything more for!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Someone was looking for sub $300 4TB SSDs

Crucial P3 4TB PCIe 3.0 3D NAND NVMe M.2 SSD, $290

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PCIe-NAND-NVMe-3500MB/dp/B0B25P44CL

e:qlc, sorry

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Apparently prices are going to be going even lower: https://www.techpowerup.com/298492/nand-market-oversupply-ssd-prices-could-drop-by-30-35-another-20-in-q4

You know, unless another "power outage" happens. :rolleyes:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 3, 2022

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It’s funny NAND flash is plummeting while you can’t buy NOR flash (SPI) for love or money

Some sellers are saying 70 week leadtimes :stare:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

From the Tom's Hardware review: "The SN850's Gaming Mode worked by disabling lower power states, ensuring the drive would be more responsive. [The SN850X's] Game Mode 2.0 works differently with a three-pronged approach: predictive loading, adaptive thermal management, and overhead balancing."

It doesn't seem to have any tangible effect.

at least those tweaks should be fairly harmless, unlike those old samsung drivers which enabled very aggressive write-caching, nuking your data if you lost power

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm getting a gaming laptop (yes yes shut up) and I'll have two SSDs, each 2TB, one for games and one for the OS/data storage. My choices are two Samsung 980 Pros, two Corsair Force MP600s, or one of each. Thoughts, other than "Why are you getting a gaming laptop"?

e: reliability > performance if relevant, I don't want to have to crack this thing open to replace anything any time soon.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 24, 2022

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i haven't messed with laptops in years, but i imagine thermals (without heatsinks) might be relevant if it's slotted into a laptop with little airflow

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
May not be the correct thread for this. But I’m switching my pc from an intel to amd. New motherboard, new cpu, new Gpu. Can I just carry all of my ssd’s over to the new system or do I need to replace them?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Splicer posted:

I'm getting a gaming laptop (yes yes shut up) and I'll have two SSDs, each 2TB, one for games and one for the OS/data storage. My choices are two Samsung 980 Pros, two Corsair Force MP600s, or one of each. Thoughts, other than "Why are you getting a gaming laptop"?

e: reliability > performance if relevant, I don't want to have to crack this thing open to replace anything any time soon.

Are you paying retail US prices or what? If so, Corsair Force MP600 are stupid overpriced, they're a Phision E16 drive so first-gen PCIe 4 performance. But Corsair is still pricing them equal to newer 2nd gen drives that max the PCIe 4 bus.

The 980 Pro is both faster and more power efficient, though the MP600 isn't terrible by PCIe4 standards (despite the fact that retail drives come with an unnecessary heatsink). Either should be equally reliable.

If you're getting these pre-installed by an OEM and the 980 pro is an extra $50, I dunno. Maybe consider getting one drive and adding the 2nd yourself?

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

May not be the correct thread for this. But I’m switching my pc from an intel to amd. New motherboard, new cpu, new Gpu. Can I just carry all of my ssd’s over to the new system or do I need to replace them?

Yes. Win10 & 11 probably don't even need to reinstall.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Splicer posted:

I wouldn't recommend PCIe 4.0 drives. The MP600 comes with a pretty beefy passive heatsink attached which should tell you something.

My advice would be to get two SKHynix 2TB P31s. They're still plenty fast (3.0) and they run cooler than most NVMe drives.

https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Internal-3500MB-Compact/dp/B099RHVB42/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The MP600 comes with a pretty beefy passive heatsink attached which should tell you something.

Yeah, it should tell you something about the power of marketing and expectations. Corsair puts a $1 chunk of aluminum on a drive and sells it for an an extra $25 because people think beefy heatsink = more powerful.

It's not particularly power-hungry. A P31 is definitely better, but slower. The 980 Pro is also marginally better while also being faster. So the MP600 is very average. But the MP600 isn't awful for a laptop, and it's actually better than some PCIe 3 drives. Increased power from PCIe generation is a trend, not an absolute.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Klyith posted:

Are you paying retail US prices or what? If so, Corsair Force MP600 are stupid overpriced, they're a Phision E16 drive so first-gen PCIe 4 performance. But Corsair is still pricing them equal to newer 2nd gen drives that max the PCIe 4 bus.

The 980 Pro is both faster and more power efficient, though the MP600 isn't terrible by PCIe4 standards (despite the fact that retail drives come with an unnecessary heatsink). Either should be equally reliable.

If you're getting these pre-installed by an OEM and the 980 pro is an extra $50, I dunno. Maybe consider getting one drive and adding the 2nd yourself?
Not in the US, the 980 is costing me about what it would cost me to buy one myself from amazon and the corsair is about 18 euro cheaper than the 980 which falls solidly in the "I don't care" cost difference. They also have the 970 evo and intel 670p.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I wouldn't recommend PCIe 4.0 drives. The MP600 comes with a pretty beefy passive heatsink attached which should tell you something.

My advice would be to get two SKHynix 2TB P31s. They're still plenty fast (3.0) and they run cooler than most NVMe drives.

https://www.amazon.com/SK-hynix-Internal-3500MB-Compact/dp/B099RHVB42/
Unless I want to do half the setup myself those are my four options.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Splicer posted:

Not in the US, the 980 is costing me about what it would cost me to buy one myself from amazon and the corsair is about 18 euro cheaper than the 980 which falls solidly in the "I don't care" cost difference. They also have the 970 evo and intel 670p.

Unless I want to do half the setup myself those are my four options.

I'd probably just do 980 pros then, unless the 970 evo is a significant discount (in which case a 970 for OS and 980 for games* would be a good mix).

*assuming you keep this PC for at least 2 years, maybe by then some games that need DirectStorage will actually take advantage of the 980's speed. but it's important to realize that right now there are zero games that really care about the difference between a mid-range drive like a 970 and a faster one like the 980.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Klyith posted:

I'd probably just do 980 pros then, unless the 970 evo is a significant discount (in which case a 970 for OS and 980 for games* would be a good mix).

*assuming you keep this PC for at least 2 years, maybe by then some games that need DirectStorage will actually take advantage of the 980's speed. but it's important to realize that right now there are zero games that really care about the difference between a mid-range drive like a 970 and a faster one like the 980.
Thanks for all the advice! Unless the evo for some reason has better durability over the pro I'll probably just grab pro for both. Especially for a laptop I would prefer to overspend for longevity, this one is coming up on its six year anniversary and I'm only giving up on it because the number of slightly broken things has hit my day to day irritation threshold.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Half crossposting from the system building thread.

Any red flags with buying [url=https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/LxXnTW/sabrent-2-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-sb-rocket-2tb]this[/url[ for my system? I don't really get how pcie lanes are allocated, or if they'd affect my gpu/capture card. I'm also not familiar with Sabrent, but I think I saw some people say they're a decent brand?

CPU: i5-6500
Mobo: MSI B250M Pro-VDH
RAM: 2x8GB
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Other: Avermedia Live Gamer HD 2 (PCIe capture card)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

unpronounceable posted:

Half crossposting from the system building thread.

Any red flags with buying [url=https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/LxXnTW/sabrent-2-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-sb-rocket-2tb]this[/url[ for my system? I don't really get how pcie lanes are allocated, or if they'd affect my gpu/capture card. I'm also not familiar with Sabrent, but I think I saw some people say they're a decent brand?

CPU: i5-6500
Mobo: MSI B250M Pro-VDH
RAM: 2x8GB
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Other: Avermedia Live Gamer HD 2 (PCIe capture card)

That’s fine! It looks like the motherboard has an m.2 slot direct to the pch (chipset) that supports gen3x4, key m.

Your CPU has a x16 gen3 interface going to the big slot for the gpu, and the x1 slots and the m.2 all come off the chipset. So it’s not as fast as a direct attach would be it’s probably not likely you’d notice any slowdowns for regular use, even video capturing etc.

I’ve used a lot of sabrent drives and never had issues with them.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

That’s fine!

Awesome! Thanks for the explanation and sanity check

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
about to open the package for my samsung 980 pro m.2 drive with a heatsink and install it into my asus motherboard, but does anyone know for sure whether there's even enough clearance with this clunky io shield?

again, this is with the pre-installed heatsink. i guess the shield runs flush with the pcie release switch which means it should be ok? i have no idea what the specs and standards are for m.2 heatshields. just an abundance of caution

kliras fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 26, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kliras posted:

about to open the package for my samsung 980 pro m.2 drive with a heatsink and install it into my asus motherboard, but does anyone know for sure whether there's even enough clearance with this clunky io shield?

again, this is with the pre-installed heatsink. i guess the shield runs flush with the pcie release switch which means it should be ok? i have no idea what the specs and standards are for m.2 heatshields. just an abundance of caution

You want to install it in the top slot if possible, since that's the one that connects directly to the CPU. Just leave the included heatspreader off. But if your GPU has a big top plate or something it may not fit. Likewise the bottom IO shield.

Clearance in either slot is something you're just gonna have to figure out. I would recommend getting the case out and having full visibility & access.

Worst case, the heatsink on the SSD is removable with care & gentle prying.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Klyith posted:

Worst case, the heatsink on the SSD is removable with care & gentle prying.

Alternatively, :10bux: will get you a simple adapter that lets you install the drive into a PCIe slot instead

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

Alternatively, :10bux: will get you a simple adapter that lets you install the drive into a PCIe slot instead
is any weird stuff gonna happen if it's a pcie 3 adapter for a pcie 4 drive on a pcie 3 motherboard?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

kliras posted:

is any weird stuff gonna happen if it's a pcie 3 adapter for a pcie 4 drive on a pcie 3 motherboard?

No. The adapters are pretty much passive circuit boards.

(Don't buy something that's a 16x card with 4 m.2 slots on it, that won't work on your mobo.)

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

How have the previous generation of 2tb drives held up? I'm RMAing my ex920 for performance degradation after ~ 2 years and I'm considering buying an upgrade so I can use my desktop during the 2-4 week shipping period. I don't have pcie 4.0 (though I may upgrade soonish) and I don't have a workload that really needs it (general computing, gaming, non-intensive programming / statistical software).

The best 2TB deal I'm seeing is an ADATA sx8200 pro for $155, and then it's $180 for a 770. Are there any issues with sx8200s that would make the 770 worth the extra $25?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stickman posted:

How have the previous generation of 2tb drives held up? I'm RMAing my ex920 for performance degradation after ~ 2 years

So uh did you try a secure erase wipe to see if that restored performance?

Performance degradation after use compared to freshly wiped is normal on all SSDs. But this isn't normally wear, it's less-than-100%-efficient allocation of data. Secure erasing the drive to do a complete drive-native wipe (unlike a normal format) will restore performance to stock almost all the time.

Stickman posted:

I'm considering buying an upgrade so I can use my desktop during the 2-4 week shipping period. I don't have pcie 4.0 (though I may upgrade soonish) and I don't have a workload that really needs it (general computing, gaming, non-intensive programming / statistical software).

The best 2TB deal I'm seeing is an ADATA sx8200 pro for $155, and then it's $180 for a 770. Are there any issues with sx8200s that would make the 770 worth the extra $25?

A 770 is a midrange PCIe 4 drive so if you move it into a new PC down the road it'll be faster.

Adata has continually done component switches to their drives which have lowered performance -- that $155 pricetag is accurately pricing it against other drives with similar performance. It's now a sub-3000 mb/s drive. About the only thing it has going for it is that it's still TLC, while other stuff at that price is QLC (with faster peak performance).

Looking at pcpartpicker current prices I don't see anything else super-attractive. I'd probably do the 770, those are priced real well.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Klyith posted:

So uh did you try a secure erase wipe to see if that restored performance?

Performance degradation after use compared to freshly wiped is normal on all SSDs. But this isn't normally wear, it's less-than-100%-efficient allocation of data. Secure erasing the drive to do a complete drive-native wipe (unlike a normal format) will restore performance to stock almost all the time.

I'll have to do some shuffling to free up another drive for a system install, but I'll give it a try (E: looks like I can do it from a bootable usb!). I've been increasing bsods and drive corruption over the past and had to do a normal format to reinstall Windows, but nothing obvious shows up in SMART so I'm not sure if a drive is the problem or something else. Random i/o was about 1/4 of fresh performance and post-format it's about 1/2.

I'm currently decided how much testing I have time to do beyond basic memory/cpu stress/software voltages, which all seem okay so far.

Klyith posted:

A 770 is a midrange PCIe 4 drive so if you move it into a new PC down the road it'll be faster.

Adata has continually done component switches to their drives which have lowered performance -- that $155 pricetag is accurately pricing it against other drives with similar performance. It's now a sub-3000 mb/s drive. About the only thing it has going for it is that it's still TLC, while other stuff at that price is QLC (with faster peak performance).

Looking at pcpartpicker current prices I don't see anything else super-attractive. I'd probably do the 770, those are priced real well.

Thanks! Very annoying that all these companies degrade the quality of existing lines rather than at least introducing new variants.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
WD at least promised to be more open about it in the future, when they got called out about the SN550.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The SX8200 is actually one of the most ridiculous examples I know of (but I'm sure there is more from eg. Kingston and actual bottom tier manufacturers), there are like half a dozen variants by now and almost every one is worse in every way than the previous model. But if you look for reputable reviews you mostly get those about the first version and possibly one testing the first and 2nd stealth revisions that weren't too bad yet.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Sep 28, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

WD at least promised to be more open about it in the future, when they got called out about the SN550.

IMO there are two simultaneous truths:

1. It's hosed up for companies to do major component swaps and they should be roasted for it. (Crucial was even worse with the P2, since they did that swap just months after launching the drive. At that point it looks planned.)

2. It is now time to admit that QLC is just fine, and most of the people who reacted like they got a turd probably wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't been told. People who say "don't use QLC for your OS drive" are wrong. The write endurance on 1TB and 2TB drives is not a problem. QLC write speed isn't as awful as it used to be, and drives with big dynamic pSLC cache handle the vast majority of what a PC enthusiast will write.

It's something to be aware of, particularly for the few with specific needs that QLC is bad for, but for most people the difference between QLC and TLC isn't a big deal.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Klyith posted:

2. It is now time to admit that QLC is just fine, and most of the people who reacted like they got a turd probably wouldn't have noticed if they hadn't been told. People who say "don't use QLC for your OS drive" are wrong. The write endurance on 1TB and 2TB drives is not a problem. QLC write speed isn't as awful as it used to be, and drives with big dynamic pSLC cache handle the vast majority of what a PC enthusiast will write.

With this in mind, what do you think of cheap QLC/DRAMless TLC for secondary drives? I'm thinking about also getting a cheap 2tb SATA to replace an older hybrid HDD that I don't trust anymore and it looks like the main options are a Teamgroup ax2 for ~$100, an SP A55 for $115 or to go all the way up to $180 for an mx500. If I'm remembering correctly, performance degradation to HDD speeds as the drive fill is mostly for writes rather than reads? It mostly just needs to be better than an HDD (or an HDD + SATA SSD L2 read cache).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 29, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stickman posted:

With this in mind, what do you think of cheap QLC/DRAMless TLC for secondary drives? I'm thinking about also getting a cheap 2tb SATA to replace an older hybrid HDD that I don't trust anymore and it looks like the main options are a Teamgroup ax2 for ~$100, an SP A55 for $115 or to go all the way up to $180 for an mx500. If I'm remembering correctly, performance degradation to HDD speeds as the drive fill is mostly for writes rather than reads? It mostly just needs to be better than an HDD (or an HDD + SATA SSD L2 read cache).

1: QLC: Yes, the speed degradation is only for writes. Read speed for QLC stays at SSD levels. (QLC is also marginally slower to read than TLC, but nothing like the difference in write speed.)

That said, my mention that the penalty isn't as bad as it used to be was kinda ignoring the bottom shelf drives -- those are still gonna be terrible. Review of the Teamgroup one says it drops to 15 Mb/s lol. But if that is a one-time thing to fill the drive with your bulk storage, a one-time PITA is pretty tolerable for $75.

2: DRAMless: this is actually one of the most ignorable things for normal desktop users / pc game enthusiasts. Dram has a huge performance impact in highly random workloads, and almost no impact in linear ones. Random IO matters for stuff generally associated with servers, like databases or running 20 VMs at once. Desktop users don't really need to care about 4k random scores for the most part.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
QLC is as terrible as it ever was, but most people won't notice. None of this is some kind of new enlightenment.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Bought a 970 evo plus 1tb. Gonna just be using it for gaming purposes. Do I need/should I get a heat sink for it?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Evrart Claire posted:

Bought a 970 evo plus 1tb. Gonna just be using it for gaming purposes. Do I need/should I get a heat sink for it?

No, heatsinks on NVMe drives are almost entirely unnecessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Klyith posted:

No, heatsinks on NVMe drives are almost entirely unnecessary.

Especially in desktops