Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Boba Pearl posted:

I didn't know enough to argue, so I kind of just nodded and made a decision, though hearing this then I'm just going to go with google translate.

e: If someone on twitter hits up your DMs like "Did you know this is genocide," I'm not sure what the correct response is.

goatse

webcomics with a few dozen readers can't actually genocide anyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

some plague rats posted:

This seems like completely dramatic nonsense to me. If a language is being "snuffed out in a genocidal sense" I think that requires actual intent and action on behalf of the genocidal power, along with a concerted effort to stamp out other markers of the identity that go along with it. People simply ceasing to speak it because it's not useful doesn't strike me as genocidal at all?? There's no penalty for learning or speaking Scots, there's no law against it, you're not going to get made of any more than you normally would. There's just very little incentive to do so, and no grand push to save it the way there are for other minority dialects for a bunch of reasons, I guess the main one being that there isn't really a specific single language that can be thought of as "scots" it's an aggregation of a bunch of different languages, slang, a thick accent and currently extant words. The Scots that someone like Robert Burns wrote in bears sod all resemblance to anything those translators would spit out, for example.
Some plague rats, I say this with love, but you have absolutely no idea what you're very authoratitively talking about.

Emzedoh posted:

Well, this conversation took a bit of a swerve. I don't about genocide, but you could get belted for speaking Scots in school back in the 80s.
There's a thing called cultural genocide or ethnocide where an external force attempts to eliminate a culture in ways other than eliminating its members. An extreme example would be the Australian and Canadian practices of forcibly taking children from native families and placing them with white-run residential schools or white couples, but it also includes things like national school standards marginalising those who engage with traditional culture. Some people drop the "cultural" because they are unaware that they are not synonymous or because they believe they should be.

The line is further blurred because usually cultural genocide and physical genocide go hand in hand (as in my Australian and Canadian examples above), with the latter often transitioning to the former as actively murdering certain people becomes less socially acceptable. Or the former is used as a cover for the latter (if I'm already bumming you out do not google Canadian residential schools).

As Emzedoh's story shows, and this is the biggest problem with your post SPR, just because something is officially totes acceptable now does not erase the ongoing effects of the legacy of historical persecution. Women and other minorities in the US officially have all the same rights as white men now (or, well, did until earlier this year) but I'm pretty sure you'd agree there are a few ongoing issues with cultural inertia and entrenched hierarchies. England's been making GBS threads on their neighbours for millenia, that they've been so successful that all that's required to wrap things up is a few more decades of "lol the accents are funny tho" from other countries is not a point in their favour.

Ireland doesn't have Wendyses.

e: oh and boba I don't hold any of your posts against you because a) you're trying your best and listening and that's all anyone can ask, b) the history of the British Isles is complicated and c) I haven't laughed so hard in weeks jesus christ. BTW Glasgow is a city in scotland.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 11:18 on Sep 24, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pyf genocide

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

rydiafan posted:

That's why eurodance metal is the best thing

https://youtu.be/D1NdGBldg3w

this rocks :rock:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://youtu.be/L0bU8z49X6I

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Splicer posted:

Some plague rats, I say this with love, but you have absolutely no idea what you're very authoratitively talking about.

There's a thing called cultural genocide or ethnocide where an external force attempts to eliminate a culture in ways other than eliminating its members. An extreme example would be the Australian and Canadian practices of forcibly taking children from native families and placing them with white-run residential schools or white couples, but it also includes things like national school standards marginalising those who engage with traditional culture. Some people drop the "cultural" because they are unaware that they are not synonymous or because they believe they should be.

The line is further blurred because usually cultural genocide and physical genocide go hand in hand (as in my Australian and Canadian examples above), with the latter often transitioning to the former as actively murdering certain people becomes less socially acceptable. Or the former is used as a cover for the latter (if I'm already bumming you out do not google Canadian residential schools).

As Emzedoh's story shows, and this is the biggest problem with your post SPR, just because something is officially totes acceptable now does not erase the ongoing effects of the legacy of historical persecution. Women and other minorities in the US officially have all the same rights as white men now (or, well, did until earlier this year) but I'm pretty sure you'd agree there are a few ongoing issues with cultural inertia and entrenched hierarchies. England's been making GBS threads on their neighbours for millenia, that they've been so successful that all that's required to wrap things up is a few more decades of "lol the accents are funny tho" from other countries is not a point in their favour.

Ireland doesn't have Wendyses.

e: oh and boba I don't hold any of your posts against you because a) you're trying your best and listening and that's all anyone can ask and b) I haven't laughed so hard in weeks jesus christ. BTW Glasgow is a city in scotland.

Good on you, Splicer. I was thinking it, but I was too chickenshit to say it. I'm from New Zealand myself - the same kind of poo poo happened here too and may indeed still be happening.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Emzedoh posted:

Good on you, Splicer. I was thinking it, but I was too chickenshit to say it. I'm from New Zealand myself - the same kind of poo poo happened here too and may indeed still be happening.
I did mention Australia oh god stop hitting me it was a joke help

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Splicer I'm from Wales, both my parents and grandparents speak/spoke Welsh to a greater and lesser extent and have some absolutely miserable stories about how schooling treated them, I'm not a dumbassed American stumbling in to make a point about funny accents I just absolutely think that cultural genocide refers to things like the residential schools or the ongoing brutalizing of aboriginal Australians and anyone trying to equivocate that to the disinterest in the Scots language should be regarded with caution? England has committed more than it's share of actual no-poo poo genocides, cultural or otherwise, hell depending on your feelings about the clan system you could argue the highland clearances was a cultural genocide, but I just don't think this fits. The loss of the Scots language was not an external imposition, right?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Emzedoh posted:

How are the Maori doing, anyway, I heard that- oh. oh no

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

some plague rats posted:

How are the Maori doing, anyway, I heard that- oh. oh no

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/113447270/yes-we-are-the-stolen-generations

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

some plague rats posted:

Splicer I'm from Wales, both my parents and grandparents speak/spoke Welsh to a greater and lesser extent and have some absolutely miserable stories about how schooling treated them, I'm not a dumbassed American stumbling in to make a point about funny accents. I just absolutely think that cultural genocide refers to things like the residential schools or the ongoing brutalizing of aboriginal Australians and anyone trying to equivocate that to the disinterest in the Scots language should be regarded with caution? England has committed more than it's share of actual no-poo poo genocides, cultural or otherwise, hell depending on your feelings about the clan system you could argue the highland clearances was a cultural genocide, but I just don't think this fits.
I knew you weren't from the US but I couldn't remember where you were from.

There being worse examples of something does not mean that the lesser version is not an example of that thing, and something simply being a less bad version of something else can make it very hard to make it acknowledged. I believe this is referred to on the forums as the "Darfur War Orphan Fallacy". I would definitely not start a conversation about phonetic webcomic accents by accusing the author of doing a genocide though, and the person who did could be a native scots speaker using hyperbole to make a point, or a random tumblrite who got inexplicably radicalised by the discourse around the fake scots twitter fad from a while back, or anyone in between. (e: edited the previous sentence to clear up some ambiguous wording). But your original points, and this here:

some plague rats posted:

The loss of the Scots language was not an external imposition, right?
really are just too simplistic. What counts as "external imposition" is incredibly complicated; Even if the decline of scots had been entirely driven by Scottish influence it doesn't mean the drivers of the shift were the same people who spoke it, or address the historical and cultural relationships between England and Scotland that could lead to this shift being considered desirable.

There's a whole bunch more I could go into here about the effectiveness of categorising certain languages and dialects as "lower class" to supress their associated cultures but I'm genuinely not qualified enough to make a proper go of it, especially not in the post your favourite comics thread. The decline of any regional language/dialect is a lot more complex than "People simply ceasing to speak it because it's not useful", is what I am trying to get at here.

Also just to gently caress with Boba a bit more, Scots, Scots Gaelic, and (Gaeilge) Gaelic, are three distinct things.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 13:18 on Sep 24, 2022

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Splicer posted:

Also just to gently caress with Boba a bit more, Scots, Scots Gaelic, and Gaelic, are three distinct things.

Can we combine this info with that venn diagram outlining the UK/ Great Britain/ the British Isles/etc etc? I'm not confused enough yet.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm still reeling learning that the irish were colonized by scottish britons.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
Also that Scottish Constantine comic's accents are absolute shite. Powerful "oh ya I'm in third year film and television studies!?" vibes.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm still reeling learning that the irish were colonized by scottish britons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantations_of_Ireland is honestly a pretty decent primer, but the short version is that one of the most "succesful" forced displacements of native Irish (referred to as "plantations") was ~50/50 English/Scottish for political reasons and mainly took place in the north of Ireland. The Scottish settlers mainly came from the scottish lowlands (scots) rather than the highlands (scots gaelic). That's why scots is in Northern Ireland and it was a bit of a thing in the peace process (recognition of and funding for Irish as an official NI language was one of the basic demands from the republicans so the unionists were all "OK yeah well.. what about scots" and so scots gets funding too).

Splicer has a new favorite as of 14:24 on Sep 24, 2022

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/cGQTG0vXSyg

It's not often I get to share this poem, because it's not often people discuss the Scots language being erased.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Boba, if I recall correctly you changed your layout to the current model, with separated panels and speech bubbles in the gaps, to make it easier for phone reading. As somebody who reads exclusively on a phone, I prefer this old format a thousand times over. The current version fucks with immersion in a subtle way, I think, through literally breaking up the story; not only are the panels literally disconnected, causing the events to feel metaphorically disconnected, but I have to ping pong back and forth between the images and the dialogue.

Might just be me, though, kinda like people who can't handle subtitles. :shrug:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
:hmmyes:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Never expected to see this sort of discussion about Scots in the PYF Comic: I'm Coming... I'm Coming... I Don't Understand... But I'm Coming... thread.

Personally haven't really encountered any discrimination for my accent and speaking my own local dialect (Doric from the north east) beyond folk from the central belt calling me a sheep shagging bastard, which is fair enough. No official discrimination beyond teachers telling me to pronounce my Ts. I do the shift in vocabulary/pronunciation when speaking to people I assume won't understand the dialect.

I'm in Edinburgh now and the funny thing is that I will speak in a broader accent to people from Leith or Gorgie (historically poorer areas of the city) even though the dialects are different to my own - there's an unconscious code switching to match the perceived Scottishness of the listener that probably tracks with culturally ingrained perceptions of status and wealth. So I'll find myself saying 'fit like?' (North East Scottish 'what's up') to people who wouldn't say that themselves, but they usually understand me.

My weegie friends and colleagues have lots more anecdotes about being made fun of, imitated etc for how they sound, particularly when in England. I wouldn't be surprised if there's sometimes discrimination in a practical sense - being passed up for jobs, promotion etc based on how they sound. I imagine the same thing happens for Northern English accents.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I thought the last set of strips was the end of the human chair story and I think that would have made for a better ending. "Yoshiko eventually disappeared and no one knows what happens to her, but check this out *peels away chair lining to reveal her and the stalker's bodies*" is all the more horrifying if you don't explain how she came to be there.

"She ended up getting together with her stalker and they lived in chairs and also these are my grandparents and I use their naked mummies as a pick-up line, wanna lounge it up w me, babe?" is a whole different kind of creepy and I'd rather have whatever imagined horror the peeling panel inspired than the mundane horror of "creepy dude gets his way, goes on to raise creepy kids."

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

And not even getting into the webcomic Genocide Man.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I think the funniest act of cultural genocide has to be that lady who wrote the majority of content in the Scots wikipedia without knowing any Scots and just making poo poo up and writing in English with a bad Scottish "accent"

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

LAST TIME ON BACK

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

between anime and genocide, achewood is finally starting to look appealing to me

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

e: If someone on twitter hits up your DMs like "Did you know this is genocide," I'm not sure what the correct response is.

Screenshot it, get a sense of where else this person might be online, and block every single possible avenue of approach, starting with their Twitter account. They are lacking in hinge.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kaoru Mori: Anything and Something
Burrow Gentlemen's Club

Today: Mori appreciates bunny girls

For this one, I would also like to present this part from the commentary in volume 4 of Emma:

Which of course was followed by this in the next volume:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
She certainly does have a strong entirely aesthetic appreciation for the female form. I hope she finds a nice girl to be good friends and roommates with.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
why, they might be constant companions

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Avowed Sisters, even

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So what I'm getting here is that gentleman's clubs are a creepy as hell concept for a place, for a job, for people to exist at in general in Japan also. Maybe that's the other point i dunno, besides the excuse to draw sexy rabbit women instead of incredibly detailed textiles.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:14 on Sep 24, 2022

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

CJacobs posted:

So what I'm getting here is that gentleman's clubs are a creepy as hell concept for a place, for a job, for people to exist at in general in Japan also. Maybe that's the other point i dunno, besides the excuse to draw sexy rabbit women instead of incredibly detailed textiles.

No, you’re right

Also maybe bunny girls are immortal ageless beings

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Shining bar but for bunny girls and I guess I'm ok with that other than the butt palming. If you cop a feel you end up trapped inside a photograph/wire cage with ground up wood chips forever

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I tend to scroll past anything with more than like 4 panels or walls of text so I managed to miss the anime pedo stuff and genocide poo poo lol.

CJacobs posted:

How about stick figure's clubs?

E: just noticed there's no signature, it's PBF of course

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Sep 24, 2022

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sensible imo

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
forming phalli nart nips are fine but i draw the line at stick nudes. Please censor that

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

mobby_6kl posted:

I tend to scroll past anything with more than like 4 panels or walls of text so I managed to miss the anime pedo stuff and genocide poo poo lol.

How about stick figure's clubs?

It's the homies that are racing to get there that tickle me the most

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Splicer posted:

Also just to gently caress with Boba a bit more, Scots, Scots Gaelic, and (Gaeilge) Gaelic, are three distinct things.

Standard Scottish English takes it up to four :v

From the author's commentary: "Here again rather than just wizards zappin frieballs and waving wands I wanted to portray it as being something more abstract. Here the struggle over the warriors soul is depicted via the lens of two old folk songs twa corbies and three ravens.

Obvously twa corbies (two crows) is the much more sinister dour version

Also I gave Malcolm a change of hair style mid way through a magic ritual. Why?

Thats the beauty a magic mate"

Animated page: The Ale Oath
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqnoChK7JBE

Meanwhile...