Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like that no one really comments on the supernatural stuff until near the end. You're just in a subway tunnel beating deranged but still obviously human dudes to death when all of a sudden a pale spindly mutant comes crawling across the ground on all fours and the main character barely flinches and just smash its face in like everything else.

Then in the late game the cenobite ninjas start popping up all over the place and there isn't really any explanation beyond some vague bullshit about a cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
something I've learned to appreciate more over time, but could probably only work like once per game, is when you absolutely KNOW something in an allegedly safe environment is going to be a scare at some point but it makes you wait

and wait

and wait

and you know it's coming but it's not doing the thing yet

any loving day now, you keep checking it because you know it's gotta happen and you're like "jesus please just let me stop sweating about it"

but then you've been building it up in your head so long that you've about given up on it doing anything at all and suddenly, OH poo poo it's not even a big scare you're just like I loving KNEW IT, I KNEW YOU WERE GONNA DO SOMETHING YOU SICK BASTARD and it's really minor

see: Robbie the Rabbit in Eileen's room (SH4), the spooky doll in Miku's Room (Fatal Frame III) (though in that case it's more like OH NO HAS IT BEEN DOING THIS THE WHOLE TIME?!)

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Sep 23, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

Condemned really is one of my favourite games of that era. The whole apocalyptic atmosphere that's totally incidental to the actual plot of the game, the dead birds everywhere, literally every loving place in the city being abandoned, the creeping decay, it loving rules. I don't even mind the supernatural stuff that much, but maybe giving you superpowers was a bit much. I still love Condemned 2, though - the loving BEAR is an all-timer horror game sequence.

I'm not sure I could go back to it considering I'm having trouble getting into F.E.A.R at this point but drat that is a good point about the setting. Incidental post apocalypse is cool as gently caress. I never even really considered Condemned to be apocalyptic but that works from what I remember about it.

We need to more apocalypse poo poo that isn't just the usual trappings.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I like that no one really comments on the supernatural stuff until near the end. You're just in a subway tunnel beating deranged but still obviously human dudes to death when all of a sudden a pale spindly mutant comes crawling across the ground on all fours and the main character barely flinches and just smash its face in like everything else.

Then in the late game the cenobite ninjas start popping up all over the place and there isn't really any explanation beyond some vague bullshit about a cult.

Weirdly I always thought it fit the atmosphere of the game really well that the only explanation you get for them before the final level is just your 'friendly' fellow screaming 'KILL IT! GO AFTER IT AND KILL IT!' while Ethan is covered in blood, missing a finger, and wearing a dead man's coat.

Is it real? What is it? Who loving knows, time to kill it with a shovel.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Night10194 posted:

while Ethan is covered in blood, missing a finger, and wearing a dead man's coat.

I keep getting confused and thinking folks are taking about Resident Evil Village here

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I'm not sure I could go back to it considering I'm having trouble getting into F.E.A.R at this point but drat that is a good point about the setting. Incidental post apocalypse is cool as gently caress. I never even really considered Condemned to be apocalyptic but that works from what I remember about it.

Yeah, although there is ostensibly still a functioning society, the whole thing is like Escape From New York or something because you never directly interact with it or even see it - it’s such a cool sensation where it feels like you’re trapped in a place that lies between the walls of the real world, and over the course of the game people just get more and more deranged until at the end where the walls break down and actual demons start appearing. You could probably even call it cosmic horror in a non-Lovecraftian sense; about how you’re ultimately powerless against the slow decay of civilization rather than elder gods.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 23, 2022

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

veni veni veni posted:

Read Octavia Butler

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
FEAR and the Condemned games rule.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like a game that combined the story and atmosphere of Condemned 1 with the gameplay improvements of Condemned 2 would be amazing. The investigation system in particular is way more interesting in 2, but it's no good when the story you are investigating is garbage.

I also find the subtext of Condemned to be hilarious: You play as a cop who tragically does not have enough bullets to shoot ALL the poor, so you must beat most of them to death with shovels and pipes.

"I must find this serial killer before he kills again! Dammit, another group of hoboes is blocking my path." *Tears rusty iron pipe from wall.*

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 24, 2022

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To truly defeat the Hobo, Ethan had to truly become the Hobo.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Condemned was a badass series, although my first one was 2 on PS3 so I probably like it more than people who played 1 first.

The combat felt dangerous and visceral, and the atmosphere and scares were legit. I wish they’d do something with the franchise.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The house level in Condemned where you first encounter the rage demon things was to 2006 me almost unplayable for how scary it was. I don’t know if the rage demons randomly spawn or are scripted but enemies in the game are seemingly designed to never directly approach you so it’s pushing you through an unknown dark location while monsters are darting through the darkness and the patterns change in every reload.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

al-azad posted:

The house level in Condemned where you first encounter the rage demon things was to 2006 me almost unplayable for how scary it was. I don’t know if the rage demons randomly spawn or are scripted but enemies in the game are seemingly designed to never directly approach you so it’s pushing you through an unknown dark location while monsters are darting through the darkness and the patterns change in every reload.

Those unscripted ambushes are amazing, and it’s really disappointing most games 16 years later don’t even try to do something similar

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

al-azad posted:

It's kinda wild how good the enemies in FEAR 1 and Condemned are at fitting their games.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

al-azad posted:

That house was truly amazing. There are ambushes like you'll see one sneak up behind you because of a mirror.

And you have to go into the basement and an attic.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
The way they started fighting amongst themselves if they accidentally hit one another or you could pull the weapon out of their hand while they were stunned and then hit them with it was really cool as well. Always a shame when mechanics like that just fall by the wayside and you barely ever see them again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's too bad those guys just do lord of the rings stuff now. FEAR and Condemned would actually be good candidates for remakes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

al-azad posted:

The house level in Condemned where you first encounter the rage demon things was to 2006 me almost unplayable for how scary it was.

This reminds me of something I've been curious of asking the thread. Even as horror game regulars, what parts in games have really got you good or been almost unplayable due to how creepy they are?

For me the first couple of hours of RE7 in VR before it settles into being an RE game was pretty intense the first time and I'd have to take the headset off sometimes just cause it was so spooky. The part where Mia disappears and creeps back up from the basement especially. Mia in general is much spookier in VR cause the subtle changes in her face from normal to "crazy" are much more pronounced.

Also once I spotted the ghost on the second floor in PT, I just wanted to nope the gently caress out of that game.

The whole fort in Amnesia Rebirth.

Visage also had it's moments but I don't actually think that game is any good. Credit where credit it is due. Also in that egard the first couple hours of outlast before the gimmick wears thin.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The first appearance of Lisa in PT really hosed me up. The flooded room in Amnesia really put me on edge too.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The first time the monster made a sound in Amnesia: Dark Descent, because it turns out I’m quite easily sucked into and spooked by video games.

After the flooded section I put the game down and couldn’t ever bring myself to pick it up again.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
The darkness in the original fatal frame was more effective than any individually intended scare or enemy in that game. Every dark room felt like walking into an abyss. Though it's not a horror game, the final area of Everblue 2, Telospolis, had a similarly oppressive effect.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think Fatal Frame is the only series to have freaked me out so much to the point where I didn’t wanna play it. There’s just something about those games, man.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Hakkesshu posted:

I think Fatal Frame is the only series to have freaked me out so much to the point where I didn’t wanna play it. There’s just something about those games, man.

The core mechanic makes the strongest move staring directly at the ghost and letting it get right up in your face before you attack, which is a brilliant bit of design for a horror game.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

And they're always timed really well, they let you stew in your own fear without actually confronting you for long stretches, but just often enough that your guard is constantly up.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Read After Burning posted:

Ahh poo poo, I just realized I can have my partner :filez: that game now that he got a little emulator thing.

We've been playing Illbleed. :getin:

Illbleed remains one of the all time greatest

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

The core mechanic makes the strongest move staring directly at the ghost and letting it get right up in your face before you attack, which is a brilliant bit of design for a horror game.

See I'm a tremendous wuss with jumpscares and whatnot but I found it the complete opposite experience. Because there's such a gamey combat system that allows you to defeat enemies effectively with crits, damage multipliers and so on I found the combat too empowering to be that scary, I don't think I've played enough pure horror game where the ball was so much in the player's court

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I really want to like Visage but it's a tough battle. The inventory is awkward, cryptic as hell as what to do next, unskippable death animations, glitches galore with the ps5 version. But my favorite is the game's hint system. Cause its a haunted house, they use flickering lights to draw you to the next jump-scare. Thing is, flickering lights is also a sign that a murder-ghost is nearby. So you never really know what the game wants, investigate or run away?
I'm sticking with it for now, as it's more of "can I beat this without help" kind of project. If it wasn't ghosts I'd have moved on, but I love ghosts.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hector Delgado posted:

I really want to like Visage but it's a tough battle. The inventory is awkward, cryptic as hell as what to do next, unskippable death animations, glitches galore with the ps5 version. But my favorite is the game's hint system. Cause its a haunted house, they use flickering lights to draw you to the next jump-scare. Thing is, flickering lights is also a sign that a murder-ghost is nearby. So you never really know what the game wants, investigate or run away?
I'm sticking with it for now, as it's more of "can I beat this without help" kind of project. If it wasn't ghosts I'd have moved on, but I love ghosts.

I just ended up using a guide, you can pick one of 'extremely obscure progression' and 'random one shot deaths' but not both.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

veni veni veni posted:

This reminds me of something I've been curious of asking the thread. Even as horror game regulars, what parts in games have really got you good or been almost unplayable due to how creepy they are?

When the basement door opens up in Anatomy. To date the only horror game I've ever purposely waited for a sunny morning to finish.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Oh motherfucker, yeah, how could I forget Anatomy. My entire body was clenched through most of that, but especially the basement.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The first Silent Hill and Siren. I put headphones on right before those...things started chasing you around the streets in SH. They were kind of like monkeys. The sound of them running behind you was terrifying and I had to shut it off. Sirens sight-jacking is spooky as hell and although Blood Curse is worse than the original in some ways I had to put it down.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hector Delgado posted:

I have played about 2/3rds through it twice now and gotten bored. It's really drat spooky at times, but it's not a very good or fun game. It's just tedious at times and plays super clunky (which is wild cause it's a walking sim). Also the house layout is so stupid it broke ~my immersion~

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Oh motherfucker, yeah, how could I forget Anatomy. My entire body was clenched through most of that, but especially the basement.

The basement is dark.

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

anatomy has stuck to me in a way that i typically only associate with truly powerful art, undoubtedly one of the greatest titles

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Powerdrill Massacre has one of the most effective jump scares in the beginning. Shame about the rest of the game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

veni veni veni posted:

I always appreciated the wait for the tram after the alien makes its first onscreen kill in Alien: Isolation. The thing doesn’t actually show up (unless you call its bluff and hang around) but they turn up the music real tense and everything

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I remember being a kid and having to fight the fuckin blind Wolverine guy in RE4. Everything before that, all good. He was spooky. I think I've been trying to chase that high ever since.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Getting to the basement in Amnesia and seeing the footsteps in the water was a big "nah I'm good" *uninstalls* moment for me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pope Guilty posted:

Getting to the basement in Amnesia and seeing the footsteps in the water was a big "nah I'm good" *uninstalls* moment for me.

Same. Only way I got through this game was recommending to friends that we play it as part of our weekly game night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/gematsu/status/1574277795483729922

:prepop: