Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hubbert posted:

that would be terrible and I would be extremely triggered!

don't you dare, arf!

don't!

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Stereotype posted:

i feel like people really don't respect how little atmosphere there is. the total mass of air on earth is within an order of magnitude of the total mass of ocean. the rock of the earth itself is one million times more massive. there's an estimate i saw that the total amount of fossil fuels in the upper crust is five times more than the mass of the ocean and atmosphere combined. like, lmao, lol

Whoever created this planet was doing some sort of Saw experiment on the "intelligent" inhabitants

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I was really growing fond of the gimmick :(

One really doesn’t realize what they have until it is gone, huh.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mola Yam posted:

do you feel in charge

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

icantfindaname posted:

Whoever created this planet was doing some sort of Saw experiment on the "intelligent" inhabitants

*arf rides in on a tiny tricycle* "i want to make you cringe"

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

"we're all cringe down here"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hello, Homo sapiens. You've proven your ability to adapt to anything other species can throw at you. You're quickly rising to the top of the food chain... on an evolutionary timescale, of course. They say that evolution is the survival of the fittest, so you must really want to survive. Now I want to play a game, where we'll find out just how much you want to live, when what you need to adapt to... is coming from your own species.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Sometimes I wonder if the alien intelligence in blindsight achieved zen and that's the way out.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

i gotta say it's pretty amazing that we've had a historic biblical flood affecting like 30 million people and it barely makes a blip in the west. if i didnt read cspam i wouldnt even know it happened

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
lol Jeffery reads this thread

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Stereotype posted:

lol Jeffery reads this thread

folks? weve found the source of all the cringe

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
of all the threads in all the subforums, he had to walk into this one

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Stereotype posted:

i feel like people really don't respect how little atmosphere there is.

Notorious good boy Carl Sagan described it as a coat of varnish over a snooker ball or something along those lines whatever it's extremely thin and we shouldn't fill it up with farts & poison ah too late I see oh well

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Trabisnikof posted:

One really doesn’t realize what they have until it is gone, huh.

We really had everything, didn't we?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Oh so we're on the Spaceballs timeline.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

i feel like people really don't respect how little atmosphere there is. the total mass of air on earth is within an order of magnitude of the total mass of ocean. the rock of the earth itself is one million times more massive. there's an estimate i saw that the total amount of fossil fuels in the upper crust is five times more than the mass of the ocean and atmosphere combined. like, lmao, lol

ya air isnt very dense

like no kidding that the ocean or rocks weigh more than air, i thought this obvious?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
The mass of the ocean is at minimum several orders of magnitude greater than the mass of the atmosphere, wtf

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

is that methane bubble popping the cause for the 2025 extinction prediction, or is that something new?

how would an extinction event like that look like in 3 years? everyone just peacefully drifting off to sleep?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

toggle posted:

is that methane bubble popping the cause for the 2025 extinction prediction, or is that something new?

how would an extinction event like that look like in 3 years? everyone just peacefully drifting off to sleep?

Temps leap upwards as the atmosphere turns into a blanket, burnination of all the trees, no more food crops

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Kind of :okpos: but shouldn't we be building underground housing?

we should also be using the last of the petroleum to ship all of the remaining topsoil to places where the permafrost is melting

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Car Hater posted:

Temps leap upwards as the atmosphere turns into a blanket, burnination of all the trees, no more food crops

yeah but i bought 2,000 years worth of those macaroni buckets so if you jerks are claiming some famine is going to extinct humanity mayhaps you need to stop being so hyperbolic, huh?

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Mameluke posted:

pedojacketed

what the gently caress is this. no way i'm searching it

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

before the settlers came, the herds of arfjason posts were hundreds strong. they would blanket entire pages and the cringe was strong enough to block out the light of sun. now there are just a few survivors hanging on in zoos and cringe preserves

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tungsten posted:

before the settlers came, the herds of arfjason posts were hundreds strong. they would blanket entire pages and the cringe was strong enough to block out the light of sun. now there are just a few survivors hanging on in zoos and cringe preserves

Jubbly Christmas! :argh:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it used to be that the cringe posts would jump into the thread by the hundreds without us even having to try

now we have large dead zones with no cringe posts at all and have to work for weeks to get even a single one

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
atlantic canada is getting it's poo poo kicked in right now by fiona. worst storms they've ever experienced in living memory. weird how these things keep getting worst and more frequent vOv

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I thought Canada was supposed to be a climate change winner???

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

biceps crimes posted:

i mean compared to a lot of places sure, but 2021 really hosed us up (particularly BC where we had a lot of deaths and highways destroyed) and 2022 hasn't gone so well either. droughts, wildfires, landslides, storm surges, heat domes, etc etc

ie we're not winners we're just not losing as hard

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Xaris posted:

i gotta say it's pretty amazing that we've had a historic biblical flood affecting like 30 million people and it barely makes a blip in the west. if i didnt read cspam i wouldnt even know it happened

yeah, it's like that post in the op

quote:

The news is full of stories of weather destroying other parts of the world like Mozambique and Puerto Rico, and conflicts breaking out in areas hit by drought, famine, and disease. It's also full of stories about migrants trying to come to the developed world. It never mentions that the two things are connected, and never explores the fact that the migrants are moving because they can no longer live in their homes

and even it manages to be kinda overly optimistic about reporting and such

anyway the real 'fun' of biosphere collapse was always going to be the migration part. the developed world responds so well to that.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

biceps crimes posted:

the general rule everyone acts on in claiming poo poo like that is that being closer to the poles means you'll be cooler

so the tropical belt expanding and roasting the southern united states means that when the northern latitudes are roasted they'll be comparatively cooler and more mild

these places still exist on this planet though so Canada is now experiencing weather that in the past was restricted to warmer, lower latitudes

Canada is still hosed just in less ways than Phoenix or Florida. "Climate Proof Duluth" still has to eat food grown elsewhere. There aren't winners there are just worse stages of losers.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 16:01 on Sep 24, 2022

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Xaris posted:

I sent this article to someone and they unironically responded with "it can't be that bad or we'd be hearing about it more."

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Paradoxish posted:

I sent this article to someone and they unironically responded with "it can't be that bad or we'd be hearing about it more."
How cringe.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Paradoxish posted:

yeah duh

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Paradoxish posted:

drat media has been doing a good job burying as usual.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I am going to move to the most climate safe town in North America and I should be just fine unless 40 million people with guns from the Southwest have the same idea

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

biceps crimes posted:

Cold on a Cob posted:

i mean compared to a lot of places sure, but 2021 really hosed us up (particularly BC where we had a lot of deaths and highways destroyed) and 2022 hasn't gone so well either. droughts, wildfires, landslides, storm surges, heat domes, etc etc

ie we're not winners we're just not losing as hard

I think everyone living in BC was thinking the same thing, right up until the 2021 heat dome and atmospheric river events.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus
I can't take this anymore. I'm going to Pakistan to stop the cringe.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i feel like pakistan floods have received wide media coverage, at least on nyt and wapo. i dont watch TV though so maybe that's what they were talking about

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
also

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1573052522717220870

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

i feel like pakistan floods have received wide media coverage, at least on nyt and wapo. i dont watch TV though so maybe that's what they were talking about

Compare the coverage to something like the Russian invasion of Ukraine and I think you'll understand people's expectations better. I think a lot of people are accustomed to the idea that anything that doesn't receive 24/7 news coverage isn't a big deal.