Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Nebulous is a lot of fun. I think it's supposed to be naval combat but in space. The guy making it is apparently a USN guy or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
hot take: the Cultural Victory in Civilization should not exist

it first reared its head in Civilization 3, and was basically formed around this "end of history" mentality where American pop culture, consumer goods, and general world influence had reached such an apex that you could declare a "Pax Americana" and consider the game good-and-won despite not actually having conquered everyone, under the premise that the rest of the world would simply follow your lead because your national identity and cultural output was just so dang influential. If everyone in the Global South is watching MTV and wearing Levi's, that's sort of a victory, right?

except you look at Civilization 3's release date and it came out one month after 9/11. The very moment that Pax America had been shattered was the same moment that the series tried to generate a win condition out of it

despite everything that has happened since, every succeeding incarnation of Civilization has still carried forward this victory type

you can even see the game straining under the weight of trying to justify the legitimacy of it, when you have these oddball scenarios where you can win the game in the 1400s or whatever just via Culture, and sometimes even completely accidentally, because it's trying to shoehorn a sense of triumphalism that was born of a particular ideological belief that has since been disproven, but the designers just can't seem to let go of

a conquest victory is fine.

a domination victory is just a conquest victory concatenated so you don't have to do all the clean-up

a space-race victory is fine - it's formed on a materialist foundation where you need to have enough research to learn space travel, and you need to have enough production to manufacture the space parts, and sometimes you might even need enough of a military to defend your space program

a "diplomatic" victory is also mostly fine, because "winning votes at the UN" is difficult enough that it may end up requiring conquering anyone that votes against you, and let's face it, if you have a nation capable of defeating the entire UN security council, then that's just another form of Domination

even a religious victory can be acceptable, because at some point it again comes down to material conditions where you need to have enough military power to impose your religion on the few holdouts that refuse to convert

but cultural? As a Marxist, no way, jose

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

You know I never thought of it like that before

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I kinda wish that economic victories in the Amplitude 4xs was more about diverting the economic production and benefits of the rest of the players towards you instead of being about hitting an arbitrary currency limit that says "You've Won, Congratulations!"

I kinda get that they're educated in a liberal worldview and such but it would make for greater impact if capital-I Imperialism was how economic victory is explicitly attained with the implicit assumption of having enough military and industrial strength to ward off anyone trying to upset you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the Civilization series has long dabbled in the concept of "Power", in that your Factory improvements would greatly increase in effectiveness if you had "Power" in a city, which was a property of a city that was activated by having a power plant

a coal plant was the first kind of power plant that you could build in a city, and all it needed was access to Coal as a resource
ditto with oil
the downside to either of this would be that it would play into the game's global warming mechanic (such as it was)

a hydroelectric plant wouldn't contribute to global warming, but you could only build it on cities next to a river
a solar plant wouldn't contribute to global warming, but you could only build it on cities next to a desert
a nuclear plant wouldn't contribute to global warming, but it carried a small chance of a nuclear meltdown (and was quite a bit more expensive than the alternatives) and needed access to Uranium as a resource

I mention all of this because I'm thinking of "stopping climate change" as a victory condition
it would be simple: you win if there are no more coal and oil plants in the game, anywhere

you can delete the coal and oil plants in your own cities (and this by itself skips over a huge part of the issues blocking action on climate change mitigation)... but the big question would be how do you get everyone else to turn theirs off? do you even turn yours off if you know everyone else isn't?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Introduce nuclear power to any obstinate holdouts directly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

A Sim enjoying nuclear power for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTEilGNDifI

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

you can delete the coal and oil plants in your own cities (and this by itself skips over a huge part of the issues blocking action on climate change mitigation)... but the big question would be how do you get everyone else to turn theirs off? do you even turn yours off if you know everyone else isn't?

nuke their cities

also its too easy because everyone would just build the nuclear plants. the AI isn't burdened by ideology the way we are, except for the meltdown chance, which should be negligible.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 14:42 on Sep 22, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The XCOM Long War team’s upcoming game is getting great press XCOM's best modders have made a mind-boggling grand strategy game
- Defeating aliens with politics, rocket science, and space mining in Terra Invicta.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Leana Hafer tends to have at least some idea of what she's talking about so this is promising. I gave the demo a try a few months ago and it was impressive and intriguing although extremely lib-brained in its geopolitics (I've posted about it before, possibly even in this thread, I can't be bothered to check). I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
just having a model of a global geopolitics game set in Current Year that doesn't devolve into complete loving nonsense after five minutes is a daunting task, because lots and lots of games have tried and it's always garbage

but to throw in an entire alien invasion into the mix is really something else

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

John Charity Spring posted:

Leana Hafer
extremely lib-brained

That checks out

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Xcum

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I did a Long War back in my day. Even installed the Jorbs voice pack and had him paired up with all my buddies from Mass Effect. I'm 1000% going to watch someone play this and 10% actually gonna play this beyond their Gatecrasher equivelent.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Is there a goon LP of Xcom Long War? 1 or 2 doesn't matter.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I can’t tell you how many campaigns of either I’ve started just to bog the gently caress down and play something else. War of the Chosen goes a long way towards making that better, but still.

XCOM never quite goes far enough towards making me care about my guys. Their personality is whatever posture you assign them, and then it’s all what you project onto a flag, name and generic bio. Characterization of the XCOM staff and enemy got much better in XCOM 2, but not the guys on the screen you spend 80% of the game on.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 15:30 on Sep 23, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Its always fun doing a mao and building a fortified base area after you cheese using snipers. Long War 2 is really fun when you use snipers as artillery.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
everything I've heard about Long War makes me think it's more about experiencing the slow loss and thinking about what the mod does and what could happen, rather than actually winning the drat thing

Frosted Flake posted:

XCOM never quite goes far enough towards making me care about my guys. Their personality is whatever posture you assign them, and then it’s all what you project onto a flag, name and generic bio. Characterization of the XCOM staff and enemy got much better in XCOM 2, but not the guys on the screen you spend 80% of the game on.

nu-XCOM's critical flaw is that it doesn't have The Funnel anymore. in the original, you'd send a dozen dudes out on a Skyranger, half of them die horribly (on a good day), and you remember the ones that make it out alive

you might even have a long-time veteran die horribly, and you'd remember that guy for lasting as long as he did, but the key was that you could always move on

XCOM2 was good in that it let you eat a loss without killing the main geoscape momentum, and it even has a bunch of "on-death" bonuses to make you think like it's acceptable for someone to die, but the squad size is still too small

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

gradenko_2000 posted:

you might even have a long-time veteran die horribly, and you'd remember that guy for lasting as long as he did, but the key was that you could always move on

It's practically thirty years later and I still remember the poor colonel standing at the back of the Skyranger who managed to get gibbed almost the instant the doors opened. That guy had really seen some poo poo.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I played the demo and it is very much a type of game that the AI will have no clue how to play. Furthermore there is a whole lot of moving parts and granularity that doesn't really serve much purpose but will wow people and obscure that under the hood the game is a trainwreck for a good while. I expect eventually the hype will die down and people will figure out the game is just poo poo though.

Unrelatedly the games geopolitical model is hilariously liberal.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Games like the Civs, Total War, and new XCom all haven't figured out that they're not great vehicles for really in-depth anything yet keep bolting on more boring bullshit. There's nothing wrong with being a beer and pretzels strategy game done well.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

Leana Hafer tends to have at least some idea of what she's talking about so this is promising. I gave the demo a try a few months ago and it was impressive and intriguing although extremely lib-brained in its geopolitics (I've posted about it before, possibly even in this thread, I can't be bothered to check). I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

I think it was in the Grognard games thread in the Games forum where people complained about the Democracy Meter or Index a lot.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
my impression from the Terra Invicta demo was that they were trying to make two distinct games, couldn't settle on which one to make, and decided to just attempt both, with the result being a thing less than the sum of its parts.

the idea of playing essentially an Illuminati-style secret conspiracy manipulating governments from the shadows, and competing with other shadowy conspiracies to do the same, is really neat in principle and could easily be its own game. In Terra Invicta that part of the game has one function, and that's to get enough Boost to get into space and supply you with the resources to get your first shipyard and mining station built. Once you do that you can abandon Earth entirely, it no longer serves any purpose and you transition into the other game, a space 4x which doesn't interact with the Earth game much at all.

the geopolitics simulation is also extremely simple and basic when you really drill down and look at it in detail, they just try to obfuscate its lack of depth with extreme breadth. there are a shitload of numbers and stats but not really a ton going on with them, they only influence each other in very simplistic ways and the end result feels less like a simulation and more like a very obtuse board game. there's also not really any simulation of economy, logistics, or supply chain at all, which is a glaring omission in a game about modern geopolitics, and also makes attempting to build a power base in poorer countries in the Global South a pointless waste of time and effort, because controlling all of Africa combined won't net you the kind of resources you could get by taking a couple European countries or gaining partial control of the US. the big rich developed countries just magically have more money and resources than the poorer underdeveloped ones and the game treats that as an inherent quality of those specific states, that is not influenced by anything else happening outside of those states.

it's a shame, because if you cheated and modded the demo to skip past the Earth stuff and get to the other game, where you're building stations and outposts and trying to combat an aggressive alien force expanding through the solar system, it's actually pretty good! they should have just made that game!

Mister Bates has issued a correction as of 20:01 on Sep 23, 2022

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tankbuster posted:

Is there a goon LP of Xcom Long War? 1 or 2 doesn't matter.

Fairplay did Long War 1 in his lp thread Let's Play XCOM: Long War, and Discover the True Horror of Slenderman! I haven't watched it, also weird that it didn't show up on the LP Masterlist on LParchive.org had to run my own searches to find this thing. I watched DerAva being a german man doing modjam which is like Long War 2 but with EVEN more bolted on. It is a slog and never in 100 years will I attempt that albatross. I played the abandonware version as a teen and the XCOM UFO when that came out enough.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

XCOM2 was good in that it let you eat a loss without killing the main geoscape momentum, and it even has a bunch of "on-death" bonuses to make you think like it's acceptable for someone to die, but the squad size is still too small

Wait what? Seriously? I always just scummed outta there if I lost even a single troop.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Slavvy posted:

Wait what? Seriously? I always just scummed outta there if I lost even a single troop.

I've won (unmodded) XCOM2 WOTC games where I lost tons and tons of people. Pretty much anything is recoverable, and it actually gets kind of hard to lose outright in the late game no matter how many losses you take.

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 03:29 on Sep 24, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Slavvy posted:

I like new XCOM but this is probably the best description of what it's missing from the old version

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

I've won (unmodded) XCOM2 WOTC games where I lost tons and tons of people. Pretty much anything is recoverable, and it actually gets kind of hard to lose outright in the late game no matter how many losses you take.

Late game sure, at that point you're practically invincible from all the ability synergies, maybe I just really suck but I found in the mid game if I lost too many of my experienced guys I could never recover.

For me it's one of those annoying games that gets easier as you go instead of the right way around.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Minenfeld! posted:

Games like the Civs, Total War, and new XCom all haven't figured out that they're not great vehicles for really in-depth anything yet keep bolting on more boring bullshit. There's nothing wrong with being a beer and pretzels strategy game done well.

Total War figured it out. Watching Dinos fighting Vikings is better than wacky "depth" that results in death threats sent against it's staff.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
As an aside I am enjoying watching Workers and Resources. A crunchier version of other citybuilders.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Imagine having to save scum in the good xcoms to avoid casualties. Pathetic.

*disappears in smoke grenade throw by supporting units after spending my TUs pointing out you failures as a human being (spamming autofire)*

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Acting like nucom and Jake Solomon's bug chasing fetish are hard without ever having to deal lobster men giving the snip snip.

What utter trash.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Armadillo Tank posted:

*disappears in smoke grenade throw by supporting units after spending my TUs pointing out you failures as a human being (spamming autofire)*

This makes me want to play the original really badly now. An average mission being like 60% casualty rate is how god intended it. Does it even run on modern systems?

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Slavvy posted:

This makes me want to play the original really badly now. An average mission being like 60% casualty rate is how god intended it. Does it even run on modern systems?

OpenXcom. It's made by forum goers like sup-super.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:tipshat:

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Armadillo Tank posted:

*autofires from the back of the squad hitting several of my allies in the back of the head*

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I watched two or three hours of the Victoria 3 stream, and it's super fiddly.

I hope it's good though, and playable at launch, I want to redraw some borders without having to conquer the whole globe.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
One of the best parts of classic (open)xcom is being able to use conventional high explosives to blow a hole in the side of a ufo instead of going through the front door

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

I watched two or three hours of the Victoria 3 stream, and it's super fiddly.

I hope it's good though, and playable at launch, I want to redraw some borders without having to conquer the whole globe.

I played the leak and that version had the same issue in V2 where sometimes the AI wouldn't (or couldn't) develop super important industrial inputs so the only practical way to get more was to conquer territories that had those resources.

The socioeconomic tinkering was really fun to slowly grasp once I got past that pesky issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Takanago posted:

One of the best parts of classic (open)xcom is being able to use conventional high explosives to blow a hole in the side of a ufo instead of going through the front door

Can you not do that in these ones?

I have Chimera Squad in my library because there was some promo when I bought War of the Chosen but haven’t tried it yet. The reviews all say it’s very good but very different. Anyone tried it?