Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Are they specifically axing Tigtone or is that just general Discovery concerns?

Because I’m a be mad if they drop my manic pixie dream ranger. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

AlternateNu posted:

Are they specifically axing Tigtone or is that just general Discovery concerns?

Because I’m a be mad if they drop my manic pixie dream ranger. :argh:

Nope, its specifically Tigtone. Although if you already own it on amazon video or something it won't go away.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Oxxidation posted:

watching Tigtone and Lazor Wolf before HBO sends them into the tall grass

LW seems like the sort of meandering anti-humor I got tired of when ATHF was still airing but Tigtone’s made me guffaw a few times and the art is at turns great and fascinatingly grotesque (also great)

If you, or for anyone who doesn't know about TigTone, haven't seen the pitch pilot from 8 years ago please watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-J3nJerAyQ

Even if Discovery axes it, hopefully we'll always have that video.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Crain posted:

If you, or for anyone who doesn't know about TigTone, haven't seen the pitch pilot from 8 years ago please watch:

This is the only bit of Tigtone I've really ever been able to make it all the way through, and I think it was perfect as-is honestly.

Lots of stuff is like that for me, the pilot is amazing but the show itself is like ... c'mon why does Courage talk now, and say the same drat thing every episode

Give me a quest, Ghost Wizard! ....Or I shall take one from you ... BY FORCE!

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

It was, if I remember right, only the episode where Helpy needs to eat someone's brains that really squicked me out. The series dropped the soley-Video-Game-inspired aspects to a more general high-fantasy-inspired theme, which I felt opened it out to more stories. Season Two went all out with a connecting story in the background.

It was pretty good. A shame we aren't seeing whatever they could do with a season three, I guess.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Part of the problem for me is that so many of these HBO max properties have absolutely terrible names. I would never in 100 years thought Tigtone was the show you’re describing from the title, it sounds like one of those weird, stilted UK kids shows about a creepy bald headed boy or a dog that talks like a pedofile. If it indicated in any way that it was a fun action/comedy parodying things I liked maybe I would have heard of it before it was cancelled and deleted forever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I had it confused with that "Tig n Seek" cartoon.

Crain posted:

Oh wow, it's like a professionally produced version of those 40k Emperor text-to-speech videos.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Data Graham posted:

This is the only bit of Tigtone I've really ever been able to make it all the way through, and I think it was perfect as-is honestly.

Lots of stuff is like that for me, the pilot is amazing but the show itself is like ... c'mon why does Courage talk now, and say the same drat thing every episode

Give me a quest, Ghost Wizard! ....Or I shall take one from you ... BY FORCE!

The pacing is so much better in the pilot, but that's something that is so difficult to replicate once you have space to work with. They had only 14 minutes to jam as much humor and plot as possible, so there is zero fat. Hell, they don't even time for dead air in the dialogue.

"Save me TigTone...This is the law of the cave, Sun or No Su--"

"NO SUN!"

"AAAAAAAUUGGHHH"

Just loving :discourse:.

Bust Rodd posted:

Part of the problem for me is that so many of these HBO max properties have absolutely terrible names....

The other problem is that they had a troubled time getting it greenlit and picked up and started. The OG people got a fair bit of momentum behind them with the small shorts leading to a Kickstarter that got the 14 minute Precursor short made. And for the time they had some big [AS] comedy talent working on the show and interested in it.

Then it took 4 years to get a pilot made.

Then it took another year to get the first season (with very little advertising behind it).

Then Covid hit and it was already on the chopping block before the Discovery thing kicked off.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished tigtone and i fear permanent damage of english language has been done of me, by tigtone

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEQN4SImirU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The last line got a lol outta me.
Good.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Using a medieval torture chair to make art is something the characters of Tigtone would actually do.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Welp here's some bad news. You can't even purchase Final Space online anywhere and the DVD is impossible to find :negative:

https://twitter.com/thecartooncrave/status/1573760414608916483

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Warner Discovery has decided that they never want to work with a cartoon creator ever again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
final space got double whammied by being canceled on a "bad guy wins, everything's doomed" cliffhanger

i never took an interest in the series but that always sucks to see

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I just wonder what the regular show close enough creator is gonna do now. I liked regular show and adventure time

Also I just saw the ending to cyber punk edge runners I gotta say...drat. They honestly wrote a story with a start middle and ending.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Oxxidation posted:

final space got double whammied by being canceled on a "bad guy wins, everything's doomed" cliffhanger

It also survived one possible merger cancellation only to die to a second.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Warner Discovery has decided that they never want to work with a cartoon creator ever again.

They decided they want Disney/Hulu and Netflix to eat their lunch in terms of animated content

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I won't pretend I liked Final Space at all -- Rick and Morty got a shot off at it this season and I laughed -- but this loving suuuuucks and is loving gross and I hate it. Really pissed off for all the people who genuinely loved it, even if it wasn't for me.

Bad time for animation. Bad time for art full stop.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Oxxidation posted:

same. i heard it was solid but it was never my thing. it sucks seeing WB basicaly shoot their family animation division in the head then burn all traces. alls so they can pump and dump for paramount or some poo poo.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Final Space felt as high stakes as Aqua Teen to me. Someone's just going to come in and magic want away the problems if it got another season.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The show really suffered from an inconsistent tone. It didn't know if it wanted to be a zany comedy or a serious drama. Pretty common these days since serialization became the norm. Still sucks that WB has decided it should be banished to the void for a tax break.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I never got to see past the middle of S2. I was really looking forward to it eventually showing up on some service I had.

I loved the whiplash vibe of S1 between zany-screamy-slapstick and whoa-actually-that's-really-cool.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

I feel like the unfortunate truth is if they decide to hire cartoon makers the cartoon makers will sign up just so they can have someone funding them

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

I feel like the unfortunate truth is if they decide to hire cartoon makers the cartoon makers will sign up just so they can have someone funding them

yep animation is just a poo poo industry.

even though if you make a hit it should be license to print money like sponge bob or adventure time.

drat invader zim was a money printer whose network hated it.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Final Space was pretty cool, but it struggled with how zany it wanted to be. If the whole zany, optimistic character getting thrown into a pretty serious plot worked for you then it worked. Absolute shame how much they got hosed with though. Even before this round, they had to struggle with being tied to the doomed TBS block in the first place.

ninjewtsu posted:

That Twitter thread about the state of the industry was brutal with the note about how if you wanted to do a 3+ season show you had to also try and guess which network wouldn't throw you into the wood chipper at the first inconvenience. And how that used to be WB following Netflix dumping a bunch of their animation. So good luck trying to divine the will of major streaming platforms for the next 2-5 years/

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I have Hulu and the live tv package which includes Cartoon Network. I thought I’d use that to watch season 2 of Tigtone before it goes away, but the Adult Swim app only has the first four episodes of season 2, and episodes 6-9 of season 1. So I guess the whole thing is only on HBOMax?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Dr Christmas posted:

I have Hulu and the live tv package which includes Cartoon Network. I thought I’d use that to watch season 2 of Tigtone before it goes away, but the Adult Swim app only has the first four episodes of season 2, and episodes 6-9 of season 1. So I guess the whole thing is only on HBOMax?

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/tigtone

No subscription needed it's just free on their website. Oh wait it's only the first 4 episodes here too. Welp. Guess it's HBOMax or buying it from Google or Amazon.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It's really interesting that pirating has become the best, and sometimes sole way to preserve art in the digital era. Interesting in a hosed up way, but interesting.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Marathoning Tigtone today because of this thread and it kicks rear end

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Das Boo posted:

It's really interesting that pirating has become the best, and sometimes sole way to preserve art in the digital era. Interesting in a hosed up way, but interesting.

It felt like this was the case in the early 2000s and I kinda was slow to move to streaming until I was basically everything I'm downloading is on Netflix (like to the point the release groups were using it and I was getting netflix logos). Do I really need mass storage again?

If this becomes a trend I'm sure abandoned show semi private trackers will become popular like abandoned games. Steam and GoG kind of put an end to that craze but if there's no legal way to consume something the internet tends to find a way to preserve it and distribute it anyway. I trust that some community will preserve these things.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In the early 2000s there were more official releases of physical media, and it was still common and not considered illegal for people to record shows onto their own private media (altho technically illegal to redistribute). Now that VHS is dead, digital home recording is pretty niche, and most shows technically don't air and only go out on streaming, we do need people to purposefully rip the video in order to be sure it's still out there despite being pulled from streaming.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

adding insult to injury

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh gently caress off

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

And they wonder why people pirate things.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

pixaal posted:

https://www.adultswim.com/videos/tigtone

No subscription needed it's just free on their website. Oh wait it's only the first 4 episodes here too. Welp. Guess it's HBOMax or buying it from Google or Amazon.

My sister's friend changed the password to the HBOMax account she was squatting on, and welp.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The 7th Guest posted:

adding insult to injury

If you buy it and it's unfairly stolen back from the people who sold it to you then re-theft of the product becomes ethical.

Invest in a VPN, piracy is the future of animation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Solar Opposites Halloween Special is up now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Some "purchase".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
why is Fred in a completely different art style

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1578100321477279744

anyway, at least this makes slightly more sense now that I know it's a Scooby-Doo show and not just an unrelated Mindy Kaling animated series pitch with an existing IP slapped onto it (I had heard somewhere that none of the other Mystery Inc. characters would appear, which obviously isn't the case). still not something that needs to exist, though