Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/tokyocheapo/status/1573242329560977408 gently caress yeaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Oh god please no not the loving cringe karts

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Aight. Time to start planning this again.

Gonna go in late November 2023. Whoop whoop.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 23, 2022

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

On one hand the yen being low is a plus and maybe the tourist deprived areas will be super welcoming. On the other hand i dunno if i want to be part of the first wave of tourists besieging it's shores and thinking of taking a wait and see approach to see any kinks or gotchas pop-up and how the locals react.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
I'm in line for boarding a flight and two girls already are chatting about how they booked flights for Japan's reopening. Take that as you will...

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Sounds like an anecdote.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I had booked flights to/from Tokyo months ago for Feb/Mar2023 and am glad to see it opening up.

Are there suggested timelines to plan for cities? I believe we have 12 nights and I’m wondering what a typical extended first time Japanese experience should be. We can figure out what to do when there’d but we’re trying to figure out how much time to spend where/what is a day trip and what should be multiple days in one place. We’d like to not do 1 night here/2nights there kind of thing, so perhaps 4 nights Tokyo, then where to, and how long? Osaka? Kyoto?

I’m familiar with what to see in Tokyo and the surrounding areas, but beyond Mt Fuji, we’re not sure what to do outside of Tokyo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You could easily spend that entire time in a single city. At most I'd split it between Osaka and Tokyo. Kyoto is very close to Osaka and easy to go to for a day trip (or two) if you don't feel like switching hotels or nailing down your time so much. Nara and Kobe also are right next door, it's all one big metro area.

Also always support going somewhere other than the big cities. Matsumoto is a personal favorite among the mid-size towns.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 23, 2022

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Look at things to do and figure out what it is that most appeals to you.

I agree with the split Tokyo/Osaka. Osaka is a great hub as you can easily day trip out a fairly good distance and then get back to the city for dinner. You can even day trip Hiroshima from Osaka which may or may not be your interest.

Kyoto is amazing. After being to Japan more than a handful of times, I'd say that in terms of creating memories, Kyoto is the place not to miss. Tokyo kinda needs to be experienced because it is like Mahattan but the size of the Los Angeles/Orange County metro. It's not Kyoto, though.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

For gently caress sake.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Waltzing Along posted:

I agree with the split Tokyo/Osaka. Osaka is a great hub as you can easily day trip out a fairly good distance and then get back to the city for dinner. You can even day trip Hiroshima from Osaka which may or may not be your interest.

Kyoto is amazing. After being to Japan more than a handful of times, I'd say that in terms of creating memories, Kyoto is the place not to miss. Tokyo kinda needs to be experienced because it is like Mahattan but the size of the Los Angeles/Orange County metro. It's not Kyoto, though.

Would you say it's worth booking a third hotel in Kyoto just to cut down on commute time, or is the distance between Osaka and Kyoto minor enough that it won't matter? I've read Kyoto is best early in the morning before the crowds are up. I'd think just staying there would make things easier, especially if we want to explore Kyoto for more than one day, but I'd be happier with having to move hotels less often for sure.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 23, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The train from central Osaka to Kyoto is like 40 minutes. I don't think moving hotels is a huge burden, but I'm not trying to squeeze in as much either and I travel light. It is nice not having to worry about getting home before the trains stop. Though if that does happen you can take either of the Japanese solutions of staying out and drunk until they start again, or crashing in a capsule.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

You could easily spend that entire time in a single city. At most I'd split it between Osaka and Tokyo. Kyoto is very close to Osaka and easy to go to for a day trip (or two) if you don't feel like switching hotels or nailing down your time so much. Nara and Kobe also are right next door, it's all one big metro area.

Also always support going somewhere other than the big cities. Matsumoto is a personal favorite among the mid-size towns.

Waltzing Along posted:

Perfect, thank you!

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Osaka to Kyoto is only like 30 mins by train. If you're more into getting up early and hitting tourist sights over nightlife then you could just stay in Kyoto and day trip to Osaka.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I only recommend staying in Osaka since it's the center of the metro area. Also it's the best city in Japan. Seeing Kyoto while it's not ultracrowded is definitely not something I'd skip if you can do it. Nara too, though it's nowhere near as bad as Kyoto.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

Also it's the best city in Japan.
That's right

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
12 nights is probably perfect for Tokyo + Kansai + 1 other (e.g. Hakone) to get your "ooh, a ryokan" experience.

If you decide that you don't need very much time in one of those cities then you could conceivably also fit another small side trip (e.g. Koya-san).

These are the worst.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Those tours sound like they’d be nightmarish hellrides as soon as you realise you’re in a loving go-kart on city streets with traffic consisting entirely of much bigger vehicles that could crush you flat at any moment, because you’re way down low so not all that visible if you aren’t bunched up with the rest of the convoy, and if you’re from the US or any other country that drives on the wrong side of the road you’re likely a little disoriented too so it’s also possible you’ll gently caress something up and get yourself smeared that way.

You’re also at a great height to just breathe a bunch of exhaust fumes the entire time.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
This is what I'm thinking for our 14 days:

Sunday morning - Fly out from the U.S.
Monday - Arrive at Disney Hotel (my wife really wants to see Tokyo Disney and go back to Disney Sea and stay in their Toy Story hotel :shrug:)
Tuesday - Tokyo Disney (both parks)
Wednesday - Travel to Kyoto in the morning, explore in the afternoon/evening
Thursday - Kyoto
Friday - Kyoto
Saturday - Nara, travel to Osaka in the evening
Sunday - Osaka
Monday - Universal Studios
Tuesday - Osaka, travel to Tokyo in the evening
Wednesday - Tokyo
Thursday - Tokyo
Friday - Tokyo
Saturday - Tokyo in the morning, fly out in the late afternoon/evening

4 cities in two weeks, hitting the big stops. We were also thinking maybe the Friday before we leave of going to Nagano to visit an onsen and the monkeys. We're going in late November/early December, and I read it's already snowy there at that time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Do Disney after day 4 when your jetlag is resolved

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Nanigans posted:

Monday - Universal Studios

Skip Universal and go to Minoo park or the Aquarium or something.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Skip Universal and go to Minoo park or the Aquarium or something.

lol no. USJ is way better than Disney anyway.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Kyoto probably won't be snowing at that time and if it does it will only last half a day or so. You might get lucky though.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Also if you're in Kyoto for three days you might want to look at going to Arashiyama. Monkeys are there too.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
lol at the guy running the site in the QTs saying all the negative responses are from foreign residents "gatekeeping"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nanigans posted:

We were also thinking maybe the Friday before we leave of going to Nagano to visit an onsen and the monkeys. We're going in late November/early December, and I read it's already snowy there at that time.

Snow is obviously unpredictable but you're probably not going to see any. Beyond usual yearly variation, the geography is a big deal. The Sea of Japan side of the island gets a lot of snow, the Pacific side does not. Nagano seems like it should be snowy since it's in the middle of the mountains but it's a crapshoot.

It can be dramatic, I did a trip in early Feb where I was on the Sea of Japan side and it was cold, windy, and enormously snowy. Then two hours to Matsumoto and it was chilly and snow free, then two more hours to Tokyo and it was like mid-fall hoodie weather.

If you're looking to guarantee snow you probably want to go up to like Akita or Aomori.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 24, 2022

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Also if you're in Kyoto for three days you might want to look at going to Arashiyama. Monkeys are there too.

Autumn leaves in Arashiyama should be absolutely going off in late November, and it's possible at the moment it might not be absolutely gridlocked with tourists 24/7.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mister Chief posted:

lol no. USJ is way better than Disney anyway.

Except for the fact that Disney Tokyo Sea is the #1 amusement park in the world. But yeah, other than that USJ is better. Oh wait...

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

#1 at being extremely boring maybe

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, wife and I decided to skip USJ and just use the day to go to a nice onsen. I'm totally down for the authentic fully nude experience. Wife is a lot more conservative, but is getting open to the idea of public nudity since like..she'll never see any of these people ever again.

Any good onsen towns in between Osaka and Tokyo?

What's the going rate these days to have hotels forward your luggage to your next hotel?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
there's atami which is the first stop in shizuoka going west on the tokaido shinkansen, i liked it well enough when my japanese friends took me there and it's also a beach town during the summer

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Hakone is the typical onsen town between Tokyo and Osaka.

If you want to do an onsen in Nagano, you might just consider doing it straight from Osaka. Go to Tokyo and straight on to Nagano. Save you a round of pack/unpack and recharge you a bit before your Tokyo leg.

You could also return via Kanazawa if there's something up there that tickles your fancy.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Gonna keep it a buck. I've been dragged to onsen/sentos two times I'm still not sure what the appeal of bathing with a bunch of strangers is, even in natural hot springs.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

AHH F/UGH posted:

Gonna keep it a buck. I've been dragged to onsen/sentos two times I'm still not sure what the appeal of bathing with a bunch of strangers is, even in natural hot springs.

that tracks

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's bathing in natural hot springs despite the strangers, OP

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

leather fedora posted:

lol at the guy running the site in the QTs saying all the negative responses are from foreign residents "gatekeeping"

He’s right, except those kart tours are cringey as hell and dangerous because the size is so small. The gate keeping is justified in this case.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

there's atami which is the first stop in shizuoka going west on the tokaido shinkansen, i liked it well enough when my japanese friends took me there and it's also a beach town during the summer

Atami also has a lot of day-use places, which is good. Some allow you to reserve a private onsen, which might be better if you’re worried about the whole people soup thing.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
this is not between tokyo and osaka and all but i hear in echigo-yuzawa station on the joetsu shinkansen, they have an onsen where you can bathe in sake too

gotta admire the dedication to the gimmick

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Wouldn't bathing in sake dry out your skin pretty badly?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That sounds awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Wouldn't bathing in sake dry out your skin pretty badly?

Nah it's used as an ingredient in high- end skincare.
Assuming the bath isn't 100% sake.