Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

sir you can't park there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

`Nemesis posted:

sir you can't park there

Plane was just a little thirsty

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

“Accident to @BoeingFrance #737 registered EC-NLS operated by #WestAtlantic / runway excursion during landing on 24/09/22 at @mplaeroport airport / 4 investigators @BEA_Aero on site / opening of a security investigation.”

https://twitter.com/BEA_Aero/status/1573588715552866305?s=20

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I would simply stop the plane before the water’s edge

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
You can lead the 737 to water, but you can't make it drink

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
Runway excursion might just be my favorite aviation term, plane's just going on a lil adventure.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

a patagonian cavy posted:

rule of thumb is to multiply the hourly by 1000. so before, first year FOs were making high 40s and may soon be making drat near six figures
Thanks… I know normal wages is hourly x 2k for annual, but I hadn’t seen the same for airlines. That’s downright reasonable and will probably get more people to take the flight school > CFI > ATP career path if that’s widespread.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There’s a lot of variables but the new regional contracts actually look like pay for people that have close to 100k in debt

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

0toShifty posted:

You can lead the 737 to water, but you can't make it drink

Sure you can, just don't de-ice it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Florida_Flight_90

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hobbesmaster posted:

I believe most of the "nuclear war" planes still have sextant ports. Early 747s had that mounted sextant port which is now a "smoke evacuation port" in modern 744s/748s:

edit: dayton has cockpit views for SAM26000, if you look straight up you can see the mount for the periscope sextant mount: http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/cockpits/P_tour/P-16.html
E-3s might have them installed?

vv of course, its a DC-9 from 1965, most aircraft had eyebrow windows for that at the time.

The E-3 does have a sextant port. In the 2000s we had an antenna that went through it so we could use a phone connection to get laptop connectivity for tactical chat (and technically email and stuff, but the speeds were dogshit, so that stuff was unusable).

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Godholio posted:

The E-3 does have a sextant port. In the 2000s we had an antenna that went through it so we could use a phone connection to get laptop connectivity for tactical chat (and technically email and stuff, but the speeds were dogshit, so that stuff was unusable).

Don’t use the dial up to get on IRC, it’ll wake up dad

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

`Nemesis posted:

sir you can't park there

I remember reading (in this thread?) they're supposed to get all their liquids from what they eat, and only do this as a symptom of stress. So yeah, it's cute to post on socials, but it never should be so dehydrated in the first place!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
From the Miramar Air Show supposedly

https://i.imgur.com/6Oxog4q.mp4

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Boom needs a new engine 'cause Rolls-Royce doesn't want anything to do with them.

https://greensboro.com/business/local/rolls-royce-exits-contract-with-boom-supersonic/article_56625c06-7fae-55e1-b536-e64f7b2a056d.html

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm going to have a hard time when the true-crime documentaries come out in a few years and they all go "who could have seen this coming"

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm going to have a hard time when the true-crime documentaries come out in a few years and they all go "who could have seen this coming"

Funny how Boom countered RR's announcement by pretending that they are the ones who decided to part ways, and that they will announce their selected engine partner. As if this was a reality TV show.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Animal posted:

Funny how Boom countered RR's announcement by pretending that they are the ones who decided to part ways, and that they will announce their selected engine partner. As if this was a reality TV show.

Boom is the NFT of aviation. It's all marketing bullshit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Rolls-Royce disclosed its decision to aviation industry media outlets, saying that “we’ve completed our contract with Boom and delivered various engineering studies for their Overture supersonic (program).”

Animal posted:

I mean, they probably did in a way. "Delivered engineering studies" in this case can mean "we have determined this will cost $Texas" and technically Boom turned down paying them $Texas.

They probably quoted something like whatever it would've cost to build a civilian F136 (that was the second source engine option for the F-35 that the pentagon decided they didn't want). When that was cancelled GE said

quote:

After self-funding the project GE and Rolls-Royce announced on 2 December 2011, that they would not continue development of the F136 engine because it is not in their best interest.[25][26][27] By then, the six engines had logged more than 1,200 hours of testing since 2009. During the year, GE said that development of the engines was 80% complete; the remaining work would have required US$1.9-2.6 billion in funding.

Except you know ITAR so they'd have had to recreate one :v:

edit:
lol I never saw this: https://boomsupersonic.com/flyby/post/overture-takes-shape-at-farnborough-international-airshow

quote:

Overture Takes Shape at Farnborough International Airshow
Three defining milestones announced — the production Overture design reveal, a landmark alliance with Northrop Grumman, and three top-tier supplier agreements. The world’s fastest airliner — optimized for speed, safety, and sustainability, takes shape.

A production design without engines?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 28, 2022

brains
May 12, 2004

one quick trick to silent sonic booms

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just tow the sonic booms outside the environment.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

I understand why you would start a supersonic plane company to go after the VC money. I understand why an airliner would order a supersonic plane, that will never be delivered, for the PR. But I don't understand why an engine manufacturer would get involved with a plane that will never be built, will not need the engines, and get the PR hit for being unable to deliver the engine.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Saukkis posted:

But I don't understand why an engine manufacturer would get involved with a plane that will never be built, will not need the engines, and get the PR hit for being unable to deliver the engine.

My guess is that RR figured Boom would implode before an engine had been delivered (or even designed), so they thought they might as well bilk some VC morons for what's basically free R&D money, and if a miracle happened and Boom survived, they'd design the engine.

I don't think anyone with any credibility in the aviation industry took Boom seriously at all, and it sounds like RR held up their end of the deal, so any PR fallout Rolls Royce sees won't be more significant than angry tweets or something.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm sick of people trying to deliver revolution in aviation. gently caress supersonic, just make re-engines for the huge piston fleet running heinously inefficient engines on leaded gas!

I don't think they actually want to solve problems, they want to be the big, swinging' supersonic cock.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PT6A posted:

I'm sick of people trying to deliver revolution in aviation. gently caress supersonic, just make re-engines for the huge piston fleet running heinously inefficient engines on leaded gas!

I don't think they actually want to solve problems, they want to be the big, swinging' supersonic cock.

Greatly appreciating the post/username synergy here.

And yeah, Boom was never gonna be anything but vaporware. I gotta give em credit, though; naming your company after the insurmountable flaw in your business plan is a bold move!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Isn’t that a regulatory issue more than anything else?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

PT6A posted:

I though thermal efficiency of airplane pistons were average-to-good.

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn’t that a regulatory issue more than anything else?

What I learned from AVWeb at least. (In regard to leaded gas)

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I wonder why. :thunk:

hahahaha

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

MrYenko posted:

You can tell we live in a cursed timeline because instead of the flying boat C-130 Lockheed proposed in the sixties Martin P6M, we’re getting a C-130 on the most ridiculous amphibious floats ever considered by mankind. loving thing is gonna have a 150kt Vne.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

V-1710 all the things.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PT6A posted:

Yeah lemme get a 200hp ish turboprop while we're at it. I guess these are in prototype now.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PT6A posted:

The goal isn't to solve problems, it's to make enough money to boost this and next quarters' earnings. If solving problems is the only way to do that, FINE. But that's not the point.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

PT6A posted:

Didn't unleaded get approved about a month ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibIkuyBL9i8

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It was finally approved for all engines this a couple weeks ago

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2022/september/01/closer-to-an-unleaded-future

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQCYclteykE

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

It's very pretty, but the odds on 4x Allisons...

it swallowed a valve, caught fire, and then crashed.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ardeem posted:

It's very pretty, but the odds on 4x Allisons...

it swallowed a valve, caught fire, and then crashed.

You’ve gotta admit, it’s pretty on-brand.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/malkoff/status/1575147547689197571

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheAstroNick/status/1575152959767322625

Hurricane Hunters had rough flights this morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksc0ydEkK38