Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Triangle Strategy was released a week later than Elden Ring. Goons really are something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
elden ring and triangle strategy are both very good, is my take

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Triangle Strategy was released a week later than Elden Ring. Goons really are something

one week is as long as 52 COVID years

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I need to give triangle strat a chance, the demo was kinda eh but I’m sure I’ll like it in the end

Instead I’m replaying the hitmans

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

For a lot of people TriStrat flew under the radar so they grabbed it later in the year. Especially the people who pre-ordered Elden Ring instead I guess.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I also think a lot of people assumed Triangle Strategy was going to have similar story problems to Octopath Traveler, especially given its even more "we just stuck with the placeholder" name, but then it turned out to be really, really good.

Relax Or DIE posted:

elden ring and triangle strategy are both very good, is my take

:hmmyes:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Harrow posted:

I also think a lot of people assumed Triangle Strategy was going to have similar story problems to Octopath Traveler, especially given its even more "we just stuck with the placeholder" name, but then it turned out to be really, really good.

:hmmyes:

Triangle Strategy does still suffer from pretty boring dialogue even if it has a fantastic story/plot.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ok but Games discourse demands that you rank one above the other. Which way, games poster?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Ok but Games discourse demands that you rank one above the other. Which way, games poster?

I don't have to do that until the end of the year :colbert:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

I need to give triangle strat a chance, the demo was kinda eh but I’m sure I’ll like it in the end

Instead I’m replaying the hitmans

I liked the demo gameplay a fair bit (Normal difficulty had much more bite than I expected) but it’s definitely a “pick up on a $20 off sale” because goddamn games are good and there’s so much to play/replay.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't care a ton about srpgs but if i were to buy one made in the last couple of years i'd maybe consider TROUBLESHOOTER(tm)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'd like to see more SRPGs that aren't completely combat focused... remember Invisible Inc.

I also liked Renowned Explorers in terms of theme and strategic systems but the tactical gameplay was a bit undercooked

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i haven't played Triangle Strategy but i suspect if i did i would enjoy it more than elden ring

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Reminding everyone sub-terrania exists

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

however i DO enjoy these videos by ZullieTheWitch cracking open elden ring's files and exploring unused/hidden/changed-in-development poo poo

like, why are there two mohgs? the game sure as gently caress doesn't explain it, but zullie has a good theory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8IASgyymDQ

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntTS6MteH-U

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'd like to see more SRPGs that aren't completely combat focused... remember Invisible Inc.

I also liked Renowned Explorers in terms of theme and strategic systems but the tactical gameplay was a bit undercooked

can i interest you in an SRPG series which is 70%+ visual novel by playtime

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The music for Sub-Terrania was done by Jesper Kyd. The music is incredibly good.

I wish there were more games like Sub-Terrania. It had its fair share of faults and there are a few things I'd change if I could that I think would make it a better game (no fuel, more health, a more lenient hitbox, make landing more forgiving), but it really is a wonderful game with some absolutely top notch graphics, presentation, music, and some fun and memorable bosses and stages. The sense of progression as you continue through the various mining sites with the steady improvements to your satellite program and the more alien architecture is rad. I'm really not sure if any game has done what Sub-Terrania set out to do. If there's a game out there that's done it, I'd love to know.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

if you're talking about fire emblem, i dislike that the 30% that actually was combat was not great

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
nah fire emblem isn't a VN and it's 70% combat, not 70% words

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
utawarerumono is an actual visual novel, not just jokingly calling it one cause it has a lot of words in it, where once every two hours you do an srpg battle

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
witcher 3 is actually an adaptation of a real novel, how come nobody ever lists it in with the other VNs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It has gameplay

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

witcher 3 is actually an adaptation of a real novel, how come nobody ever lists it in with the other VNs

Because unlike VNs, Witcher did not patch out its sex scenes for console releases.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
that's a bit different, they were all with consenting adults

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When I was looking up sub-terrania gifs google showed me gifs of a bunch of unrelated games instead and I wanted to post these 2 gifs because they're good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

however i DO enjoy these videos by ZullieTheWitch cracking open elden ring's files and exploring unused/hidden/changed-in-development poo poo

like, why are there two mohgs? the game sure as gently caress doesn't explain it, but zullie has a good theory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8IASgyymDQ

bcos why not

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

huh?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

cheetah7071 posted:

Should probably warn them about the naked kids in mechs bit though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

Should probably warn them about the naked kids in mechs bit though

also not a visual novel, and not even really an srpg this time

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Doesn't sakura wars fit the description of mech srpg visual novel? Or am I thinking of a different game??

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
idk if sakura wars is a proper vn or just wordy, but rarity was referring to 13 sentinels

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I know she was referring to that, I just meant I thought you were gonna rec Sakura Wars. But I have not played Sakura Wars, so I don't know how vn-like it is

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i was recommending utawarerumono, a game (mostly) without mechs

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
People always ask "utawarerumono" but they never ask "utahowrerumono"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/1573897626151329792?s=20&t=GevfHhYvD7CqjSy9ZgFVTw

Netflix has announced an animated Onimusha movie directed by Takashi Miike

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I got it on sale a month or two ago. Elden Ring was one of two games I've bought on release in like 10 years.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Witcher, which definitely never has any sex crimes ever

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

is it time to sink another 500 hours into Morrowind again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUX3u1iD0jM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's getting harder and harder for these tech companies to make up bullshit about their new hardware without finally admitting that it's just straight up magic and they're casting spells.