Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hahaa

Anyway I suggest keeping this thread open just so I have an easy route to those BotL critiques if I ever want to check all the things not to do in a fantasy novel again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Any update on the charity scam?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Barreft posted:

Any update on the charity scam?

He has gotten away with it for months by just pretending it never happened, so he's just going to keep up with that.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The IRS might have the manpower to look into it soon. Heck, they'll probably have a tipline...

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
It's a new month... write the book, Rothfuss!

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
He doesn't even write his own blog posts now. Why would he write a book?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

MartingaleJack posted:

He doesn't even write his own blog posts now. Why would he write a book?

The prose would be too good. He's written the book, but it's beyond everything. He's working on a way to make it less lyrical, less sensuous; Rothfuss loves the art of writing so much that he realizes if he released the book in its current form, it would simply be the end of the craft. As a consummate artiste he loves the pursuit of perfection, but having attained it, he realizes the release of it would destroy the journey for so many other would-be writers; so he suffers the slings and arrows of our outrage and will not take up pen against the sea of critics and fans who just want him to fulfill his promises, quietly aware he is sacrificing for all of us, but dignified enough to need no recognition.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

He wrote an entire chapter after two of the keys broke on his keyboard and readers said it was the most beautiful, flowery prose they had ever set eyes on.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

eXXon posted:

He wrote an entire chapter after two of the keys broke on his keyboard and readers said it was the most beautiful, flowery prose they had ever set eyes on.
It was a keyboard of three parts, I guess.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
posted by u/PRothfuss:

[AITA] My Beta Readers Keep Bleeding from their Eyes and Ears due to the Beauty of my Writing

Here's the situation, I have a team of many dozens of wonderful betas who review my work before publishing. They are loyal and devoted and don't leak anything I give them. I know the team loves to volunteer their time to do this task because they always tell me how wonderful the prose is, and how enlightening the story is. I even have a few vixens who specialize in romance who swoon over the budding love I depict.

Recently however I've been unable to publish, as the team has been reporting loss of sleep as well as bleeding from their tear ducts and ears. They refuse to put down the drafts and just keep rereading them, calling them a holy experience. I appreciate the devout positive feedback but I am starting to worry that they won't get their reviews done so I can send it to my editor. I keep encouraging them because the book is so close to done, but I am a consciences employer so of course I worry for their wellbeing. I just need them to complete their reviews and tell me their good already.

My editor says I should write segments, ones that aren't blessed with divine poetry, so that my team and my audience can enjoy it. But that would mean I am denying them happiness and I don't know if I can bring myself to do that.

so /r/, Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
This rube on Rings of Power looks a bit too much like Patty Rothfuss, and I don't like it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hughmoris posted:

This rube on Rings of Power looks a bit too much like Patty Rothfuss, and I don't like it.

Despite his character arc, this still feels like a mean thing to say about Al-Pharazon.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
If you want to see a good example of "Lying Headlines", peep this:

https://winteriscoming.net/2022/08/24/new-doors-of-stone-rumor-the-book-is-in-editing-and-has-a-release-date/

The 'rumor' is that Mercedes Lackey said it was, but it turns out she was just referring to A Slow Regard. So even though there is no such rumor, well... winteriscoming is there to make poo poo up!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kchama posted:

If you want to see a good example of "Lying Headlines", peep this:

https://winteriscoming.net/2022/08/24/new-doors-of-stone-rumor-the-book-is-in-editing-and-has-a-release-date/

The 'rumor' is that Mercedes Lackey said it was, but it turns out she was just referring to A Slow Regard. So even though there is no such rumor, well... winteriscoming is there to make poo poo up!

I wish I had the ability to not feel shame like GRRM and Rothfuss. I'd probably be rich then though

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Love how he basically defrauded people to get them to donate to his charity and is going to get away with it completely.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Love how he basically defrauded people to get them to donate to his charity and is going to get away with it completely.

He's a famous author, so he gets all the perks. Let's hope they're still not extending the creepy sex perv perks as have been rumored.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The worst part about it is that it's a single chapter. One chapter, from an author that has published 3 books. The fact that he can't bring himself to release even one chapter, to honor his promise, says it all.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

The worst part about it is that it's a single chapter. One chapter, from an author that has published 3 books. The fact that he can't bring himself to release even one chapter, to honor his promise, says it all.

The fact that one of the few websites that even talks about Rothfuss these days has to seize on someone being confused and talking about his novella to claim that IT IS EDITED AND HAS A RELEASE DATE while knowing full well that it is not is really sad.

Though it would be really funny in a ROthfussian way if he released the book without giving the donators the chapter he promised.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Depending on what he said, you have to honor donor intent. If people gave money and are mad enough they can force him to pay it back, as well as probably get the IRS to investigate his "charity"; at which time they'll discover that the nonprofit is engaging in excess benefit transactions with a disqualified person.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

He's a piece of poo poo.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Depending on what he said, you have to honor donor intent. If people gave money and are mad enough they can force him to pay it back, as well as probably get the IRS to investigate his "charity"; at which time they'll discover that the nonprofit is engaging in excess benefit transactions with a disqualified person.

It was a stretch goal deal where "if you donate X amount past this limit, I'll share the first chapter I swear is finished." They did, and he did not.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Kchama posted:

It was a stretch goal deal where "if you donate X amount past this limit, I'll share the first chapter I swear is finished." They did, and he did not.

He was clearly being truthful. He said he’d share the first finished chapter. None are finished so he’s off the hook.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
It's a new month... write the book, Patrick!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Completely off-topic and no idea why it made me think of this thread, but did anyone else see the Sandman episode about the misogynist author who insist he's a feminist, became famous for writing one book years ago, claims he's almost finished the next book when he hasn't actually written a single page, and will do anything short of actually writing to maintain his superstar author status?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Yeah. Neil Gaiman is a hack.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

Come And See posted:

Yeah. Neil Gaiman is a hack.

:commissar:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Completely off-topic and no idea why it made me think of this thread, but did anyone else see the Sandman episode about the misogynist author who insist he's a feminist, became famous for writing one book years ago, claims he's almost finished the next book when he hasn't actually written a single page, and will do anything short of actually writing to maintain his superstar author status?

That whole thing actually refers to a lot more authors than just the sublime prose master of

“I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted her mouth, felt the warmth of her, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name. When I cut off her skin and wear it as a skin-suit, I will be her.”

Writing one superstar book and never writing another is an author trope. Though I think part of the problem is the publishers, they are looking to create celebrity authors because their books sell, so they like to puff up someone they think can turn into a celebrity.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

That whole thing actually refers to a lot more authors than just the sublime prose master of

“I have known her longer, my smile said. True, you have been inside the circle of her arms, tasted her mouth, felt the warmth of her, and that is something I have never had. But there is a part of her that is only for me. You cannot touch it, no matter how hard you might try. And after she has left you I will still be here, making her laugh. My light shining in her. I will still be here long after she has forgotten your name. When I cut off her skin and wear it as a skin-suit, I will be her.”

Writing one superstar book and never writing another is an author trope. Though I think part of the problem is the publishers, they are looking to create celebrity authors because their books sell, so they like to puff up someone they think can turn into a celebrity.

I think it's the feminist ally thing they are emphasizing.

"Genius" authors are a dime a dozen, but the ones who lean extremely hard into proclaiming how much of a progressive ally they are is a bit of a different problem.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Sorry man, that episode was just awful in an otherwise mediocre series - and came across just as self-congratulatory as Rothfuss and Whedon etc out to prove who the REAL feminist was.

The more Neil Gaiman I consume the more I'm convinced Coraline was thanks to everyone else on that film.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Come And See posted:

Sorry man, that episode was just awful in an otherwise mediocre series - and came across just as self-congratulatory as Rothfuss and Whedon etc out to prove who the REAL feminist was.

The more Neil Gaiman I consume the more I'm convinced Coraline was thanks to everyone else on that film.

Gaiman didn't even work on the movie beyond writing the book it was based on so I guess you get a "technically correct" sticker there.

Still just wrong about the rest, though.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.

Come And See posted:

Have you even read any of his books? The Sandman comic series?

Some of the TV stuff is below par, but proclaiming him a hack based on "consuming" nothing more than that just shows your ignorance.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Which sandman episode was this?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'm glad this thread got bumped despite zero new rothfuss information so it could immediately descend into people getting mad about completely unrelated authors

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
I'm cooled off.
But Somebody is wrong! On the internet! That cannot stand, you must see.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Come And See posted:

Compared to Rothfuss and Whedon, he is. Also, he's too good of an author to talk about in this thread.

Patware posted:

i'm glad this thread got bumped despite zero new rothfuss information so it could immediately descend into people getting mad about completely unrelated authors

There will never be new Rothfuss information.

https://huntnewsnu.com/69026/lifestyle/column-get-in-the-mood-for-autumn-with-these-media-picks/

There is this, however! Somehow, Name of the Wind is a Halloween book.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TV Zombie posted:

Which sandman episode was this?

It's the back half of S1E11, "Calliope". Adapted from the comic #17 of the same name.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Someone in some SA thread once said Neil Gaiman is such a good genre writer he's at the level of lovely real writer.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

porfiria posted:

Someone in some SA thread once said Neil Gaiman is such a good genre writer he's at the level of lovely real writer.

Meh, when you're good you're good. It doesn't really matter what subject you're writing about. Neil Gaiman's way better than Sean Penn, for example, who is a good example of a lovely 'real' writer. Bob Honey Who Just Does Things is no joke one of the worst books I've ever read. He makes Patrick Rothfuss look good.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

"His work is better than an actor's vanity novel" is not high praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Gaiman *can* write some genuinely great stuff, especially his children's books. He just tends to go for quantity over quality most of the time since he got famous. He's sort of like Zelazny in that the talent is always there but the effort isn't.