Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

(enthoo pro 2. it's loving massive)

Its beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Then do I have the case for you

(enthoo pro 2. it's loving massive)

I've been wanting to build a gaudy, ostentatious, truly vile dual system home server in this thing since it launched - easily my most lusted after case :allears:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Arrath posted:

Its beautiful.

Turns out a good friend of mine actually built a new computer recently, using this very case lol.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arrath posted:

Turns out a good friend of mine actually built a new computer recently, using this very case lol.

Ok that too me way too long to figure out wtf was going on lol

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's haunted by an RGBoo

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm considering upgrading my main case and handing it down to the secondary build I'm doing. For good airflow and decent space the thread favorite is the Meshify, isn't it? I need room for a fuckoff huge graphics card and like 5 SSDs hanging off a full ATX board.

The newest O11 variant has an option to replace the glass front with a mesh front with a fan bracket that'll fit 3x120mm or 2x140mm.

https://lian-li.com/product/o11-dynamic-evo/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 23, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It's haunted by an RGBoo

:golfclap:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gently caress it, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Corsair case. I figure I'll move the existing X570 machine in to that, and then use the Macube to build the B550 machine in. The Macube was able to handle the 3600X and 2070 Super okay, so I figure that makes more sense than building in the pretty crappy Rosewill case I am scavenging parts out of.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Im building a system for a friend where literally anything is an upgrade from the decade old box thats slowly dying, i have a microcenter just down the street and i was looking at their mobo + cpu deals, their micro atx board and cpu sold out but they still have a 5700X + MSI X570 mobo combo for 299, is that still a good deal or is there anyone floating around somewhere?

From reading the thread it seems looking for a 6600XT / 6700XT are the best price/performance for deals for GPUs right now?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Im building a system for a friend where literally anything is an upgrade from the decade old box thats slowly dying, i have a microcenter just down the street and i was looking at their mobo + cpu deals, their micro atx board and cpu sold out but they still have a 5700X + MSI X570 mobo combo for 299, is that still a good deal or is there anyone floating around somewhere?

From reading the thread it seems looking for a 6600XT / 6700XT are the best price/performance for deals for GPUs right now?

$300 is still a good deal for those parts. You're otherwise looking at a $150 - $180 CPU with a $120 - $150 motherboard, which is like 12400/5600 - 5600X territory, so yeah.

As for GPU, those are good ones for price to performance, though I think the 6650 XT is actually the 6600 XT right now, which AMD may be phasing out.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Alright so im thinking

https://www.microcenter.com/product/650543/amd-ryzen-7-5700x-oem-(heatsink-not-included),-msi-x570-a-pro-am4-atx-amd-cpu-motherboard-combo
for the CPU and mobo which is 299$

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Riing Silent 12 Red 53 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.50 @ Amazon)
Memory: PNY XLR8 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($107.24 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB GAMING X Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($89.99 @ EVGA)

Total: $655.70

Anything pop out as unneeded or too much? Total comes out to around 1k with taxes.

Mr.Fuzzywig fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 24, 2022

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Is there much of a difference between 6700 XT models? In particular, for 1080p gaming (I might go up to 1440 but never to 4k), for the next 3-5 years.

I built a new PC late last year but kept my old RX 470 because the GPU market was so screwed, and now I'm keeping an eye on deals as prices start dropping - but it's not clear how far they'll drop over the next month or two, so I'm unsure what models to put price alerts on.

I was doing some reading and it looks like the Sapphire Radeon RX 6700 XT OC Nitro+ 12GB GDDR6 is a solid bet, but it's a chunk more cash than the standard 3-fan 6700 XT models, and I'm not sure if it's worth waiting for that to drop in price or just grab another 3-fan at a more reasonable price..

Current build is:

The Sapphire Nitro+ is currently going for 530 euros (515 USD), last sale was late June at 490 euros (476 USD), but what's the difference between that and, for example, the 12GB Gigabyte Radeon RX 6700 XT EAGLE 12G ? Which is on sale today for 460 euros (450 USD). Is it worth waiting for the Sapphire Nitro+ to drop to sub-500, or wait a few weeks and grab any 3-fan model?

Based in Germany, by the way. Here's a screenshot of the different 6700 XT prices on a deal-search website -- er, actually here's just a direct link

boofhead fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 23, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
make barely matters go for the cheaper one or the manufacturer you trust. I think sapphire is a premium brand? but in terms of performance it's gently caress all it's all warranty.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
How much difference will a 3080's 10GB RAM make compared to a 3070's 8GB over the next couple years? They're both overkill for what I actually need, but I'm wondering if there's situations in gaming where the amount of GPU RAM will be a limiting factor for these cards.

e: obvs DDR6 vs DDR6X seems like a bigger deal

Cool Kids Club Soda fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Sep 23, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

How much difference will a 3080's 10GB RAM make compared to a 3070's 8GB over the next couple years? They're both overkill for what I actually need, but I'm wondering if there's situations in gaming where the amount of GPU RAM will be a limiting factor for these cards.

e: obvs DDR6 vs DDR6X seems like a bigger deal

Do you want a resolution over 1080? I run 1440p with a 2070 Super, and some games start running up against the 8GB of VRAM when I turn them to high or ultra.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Yeh, I was thinking of moving up to 1440p and felt like I had heard 8gb starts being limiting

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

6 vs 6X is actually a much smaller deal than the amount of VRAM. The difference between the 3070 and 3070 Ti is very small, while if you run out of VRAM that can start causing some big problems.

Anyway, my advice right now is to not buy a 3080 unless you're getting a screaming deal. Wait for AMD to announce RDNA3 at least so you can make a more informed decision about what high-end card you want to buy.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

AMD just did MSRP drops on their current cards.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-lowers-radeon-rx-6000-msrp/

Not sure what’s worthy at the moment.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

AMD just did MSRP drops on their current cards.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/amd-lowers-radeon-rx-6000-msrp/

Not sure what’s worthy at the moment.

I think this is a bit of misinformation going around the media, and people are suddenly misinterpreting a marketing slide AMD put out there a week ago. AMD's just doing a "look how cheap our cards are on newegg compared to nvidia's" thing and people are for some reason taking that as them announcing MSRP cuts. It even says right there in the slide that AMD just pulled those prices from newegg, yet that site lists them out as the new MSRPs. Maddening.

Anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter if it's official or not. AMD's cards are pretty cheap, and the 6650 XT is a particularly good deal for a midrange GPU right now ($295, or $275 after rebate)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This is a good drive, right? Sub $200 2TB fast gen4 nvme.

https://shop.kingston.com/products/kc3000-pcie-4-0-nvme-m-2-ssd

2TB KC3000 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD, $183

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

fantasy new build questions

quote:

What country are you in? US
What are you using the system for? 1440p ultra quality gaming
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? aiming for 1440p 144hz 144fps at “Ultra preset as fast as possible” ideally without sacrificing any CPU/having real good single-core CPU speeds (for playing lovely unoptimized cpu-bottlenecked games)
What's your budget? I'm hoping for computer + 2 monitors + stands + wired high DPI gaming mouse and decent mechanical keyboard to be <$2k but I assume that's unrealistic given GPU prices, so, whatever budget meets the above criteria since I really want to know what it would cost for everything looking swank at 1440p, coming from 1080p 60hz 60fps

if I want that 1440p 144hz 144fps at “Ultra preset as fast as possible” what GPU tier am I reasonably looking at having to purchase?

what monitors would be ideal for nvidia vs amd gpus to run at 1440p 144hz? does it matter if they're "matched" to a given a card architecture? only asking because I still have no loving idea what g-sync is other than "something for monitors running on nvidia cards"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anyway, I guess it doesn't really matter if it's official or not. AMD's cards are pretty cheap, and the 6650 XT is a particularly good deal for a midrange GPU right now ($295, or $275 after rebate)

How does the 6650 XT / 6700 non-XT stack up compared to the used 5700 XTs for ~$170 on ebay?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tempora Mutantur posted:

fantasy new build questions

if I want that 1440p 144hz 144fps at “Ultra preset as fast as possible” what GPU tier am I reasonably looking at having to purchase?

what monitors would be ideal for nvidia vs amd gpus to run at 1440p 144hz? does it matter if they're "matched" to a given a card architecture? only asking because I still have no loving idea what g-sync is other than "something for monitors running on nvidia cards"

You're probably looking at a 3080/6800 XT if you want maximum 1440p performance. Though my opinion earlier about waiting a little bit to buy a 3080 still holds here.

Traditionally, monitors refresh (update their screen) at set intervals. Meanwhile, the GPU generates frames as quickly as it can and sends those frames whenever they're ready. If a monitor refreshes every 16.67ms (60fps) but a GPU takes 17ms to send the next frame instead, then that means the monitor will hold its current frame for an entire extra refresh cycle before it updates again. This kind of behavior can result in a light stuttery feeling as frames are periodically held onto for twice as long. This is perhaps most obvious when looking at smooth camera pans. G-Sync and Freesync (AMD's version) fix this by telling the display to hold off on refreshing until it has the next frame instead of always refreshing at a set interval. So if a frame takes an extra millisecond to arrive, the monitor will wait and then update as soon as it gets that frame. This makes for a much smoother experience as your refresh intervals will fluctuate much less due to performance dips.

Anyway, basically every gaming monitor right now is compatible with both AMD Freesync and Nvidia G-sync. It's very rare to find one that isn't. The current value choice for 1440p monitors is probably the Gigabyte M27Q Pro. It has a nice, vibrant IPS panel with acceptable refresh rates. The step up would probably the Acer XV272U KV which has faster response times for crisper, slightly less blurry motion. (note: the monitor received a firmware update that enhanced its max SDR brightness, so keep that in mind when seeing reviews that say the panel is a little dim)

edit: think of g-sync/freesync as doing the opposite of vsync. instead of telling the gpu to slow down to match your monitor, your monitor slows down to dynamically pace itself to your gpu.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 23, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

How does the 6650 XT / 6700 non-XT stack up compared to the used 5700 XTs for ~$170 on ebay?

According to TechPowerUp's 6650 XT review, it's about 9% faster than the 5700 XT at 1440p, and the 6700 XT is 30% faster. But just about every 5700 XT on ebay is a former mining card, and who knows what the hell that does to the card's lifespan. The 5700 XT also has zero ray tracing acceleration. The 6000-series' RT capabilities are not great anyway, but they may prove useful if any UE5 games come out using Lumen (or if there are any other RT-only games like Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition).

I think a used 5700 XT may be an appealing option for people who want a lot of performance while paying budget-tier prices--it's a hell of a lot better than a 16-series card or used 1080, at least. If you can afford more, I'd go for at least a 6700 XT though. If anything, just to have a new-condition card that can hit 60fps at 1440p more reliably.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 23, 2022

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

CoolCab posted:

make barely matters go for the cheaper one or the manufacturer you trust. I think sapphire is a premium brand? but in terms of performance it's gently caress all it's all warranty.

Ahh ok that's good to know, thank you! I'll keep an eye on the deals over the next month and grab whatever 3 fan model hits a reasonable price. Relatively speaking

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Yeh, I was thinking of moving up to 1440p and felt like I had heard 8gb starts being limiting

My problem with 8 GB is that my 1070 had 8 gigabytes and it seemed absolutely insane to not have that number grow.

I don’t plan on buying another GPU for at least four years so I settled in the 3080 TI because it has 12 gigs.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
With Zen 4 coming out soon, I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade a few parts in my system. This is my current build:

CPU: i5-6500
Mobo: MSI B250M Pro-VDH
RAM: 2x8GB
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Couple spinning disk drives
Other: Avermedia Live Gamer HD 2 (PCIe capture card)

I'm thinking I can get a 2TB nvme SSD now-ish, add that to my system now. Then in a few months or so, get a B650 motherboard and 7600X, pending reviews and whatever Intel puts out, using that SSD as my OS drive.

With that in mind, do any of these stand out? I was thinking about the Sabrent Rocket 2TB, since I've heard they're a good brand, and with my gift card, it comes to less than $0.10CAD/GB.

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Has anyone had experience with running used GPUs? There are good deals on the 5700xts I was looking at. Less than 200 for many of these.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

Has anyone had experience with running used GPUs? There are good deals on the 5700xts I was looking at. Less than 200 for many of these.

It’s probably fine, but you have a real risk of getting a mining GPU.

Might mean shorter overall life

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It’s probably fine, but you have a real risk of getting a mining GPU.

Might mean shorter overall life

Tbh even a mining GPU is probably fine and not as big of a deal as people make it out to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T0npiqjEWQ

From the GPU thread

quote:

He says:
Avoid Radeon VII
Avoid 3090s
Avoid HBM
GDDR6X cards in general may have memory running too hot for too long. I will point out that 3080s should have adequate cooling for the GDDR6x but some research may be needed because there were early cards from multiple manufacturers that had poor contact with the ram.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

To be honest, the me of old who always built PCs on a super tight budget definitely would've jumped on one of these 5700 XTs.

I think there may be a little bit more room for them to come down in price (maybe to $150 or so ultimately) but probably not too much, and it's not really worth waiting on since we're seeing a pretty insane price drop as it is. Miners bought 5700 XTs in huge quantities due to it being one of the most efficient mining cards, but the market demand for AMD cards just isn't nearly as strong as Nvidia. Which means there's a disproportionate amount of supply relative to demand now that the miners are offloading their cards, and the price has cratered.

Just be aware of the risks. Sapphire is a good AMD brand to buy used cards of because their fans are extremely easy to service and they sell replacements, so that covers one of the most common failure points for mining cards. Try to buy from someone who is advertising a stock gaming bios, otherwise know how to manually flash the bios in case they ship it to you with a mining bios.

edit: sapphire fan replacement involves unscrewing just a single phillips screw and pulling the fan out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYR9WkYbb0A

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 24, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

edit: sapphire fan replacement involves unscrewing just a single phillips screw and pulling the fan out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYR9WkYbb0A

like there's no fuckin reason they all can't be like this and it winds me up, lol

Mr.Fuzzywig
Dec 13, 2006
I play too much Supcom
Is there a suggested case that doesnt have tempered glass on the side? not much for RGB and the case never goes where i would look into it? It seems like everything nowadays is tempered glass.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Fractal's cases are well regarded, and I think most of them have versions with metal side panels.

e:typo

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 24, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fractal Design and Be Quiet have metal side panel options for all of their cases, so you could get a Meshify 2 or Torrent, which are both very good cases.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

A while ago I changed my top 280mm AIO to be intake for dust prevention since that would be really positive. 5 filtered fans in and 1 out the back causes really hot air to just pour out the back of the computer all over from the pressure. Now that I have move to where it can be off the floor I wanted to try going back to using the top as exhaust.

Its noticeably better.

The GPU doesn't run much cooler, maybe 1-2C but the fans are working significantly less to keep it there. The back of the computer around the GPU is not hot at all (I think its intaking there now) and even the rear system fan is surprisingly cooler.

Makes me wonder why so many cases come with top filters.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

spunkshui posted:

A while ago I changed my top 280mm AIO to be intake for dust prevention since that would be really positive. 5 filtered fans in and 1 out the back causes really hot air to just pour out the back of the computer all over from the pressure. Now that I have move to where it can be off the floor I wanted to try going back to using the top as exhaust.

Its noticeably better.

The GPU doesn't run much cooler, maybe 1-2C but the fans are working significantly less to keep it there. The back of the computer around the GPU is not hot at all (I think its intaking there now) and even the rear system fan is surprisingly cooler.

Makes me wonder why so many cases come with top filters.

Because an AIO works differently than fans.

Normal fans as exhaust at the top is going to steal all the cool air from your CPU cooler. It’s extremely rare you want top case exhaust for regular fans, except for maybe the fan behind the CPU cooler, and even then that’s questionable.

But with a top mounted AIO exhaust is usually better because you’re trying to put the hot air out of the loop instead of dumping it back into the case.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 24, 2022

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Generally how is the assembly service at Microcenter? Is the build quality fine? There’s one 10 minutes from me and the prices seem in line and with two young kids just impossible to find two hours during the day to actually put a computer together

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I have an msi 2070 super ventus that's going to be replaced soon (hopefully, you know.)

I also got 16gb of ram just sitting around, and my old 3700x. Almost a computer. So my plan is, when I get the new gpu use the old parts + other stuff to make a small computer to replace an old laptop that basically exists to run the Jellyfin client, watch Netflix, some emulation, moonlight to stream games, etc that drives my projector basically.

But I guess that doesn't matter, my question is what's the smallest form factor that 2070 super and stuff would fit in? I really don't know how big anything is besides atx, and I don't wanna buy a mini-itx mobo and case and then be like "well drat no way this is fitting in anything"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Adun posted:

Generally how is the assembly service at Microcenter? Is the build quality fine? There’s one 10 minutes from me and the prices seem in line and with two young kids just impossible to find two hours during the day to actually put a computer together

Should be fine. Their prices are usually good enough to make up the extra you pay for the build too, and their warranty/return policies are very good.

BrainDance posted:

I have an msi 2070 super ventus that's going to be replaced soon (hopefully, you know.)

I also got 16gb of ram just sitting around, and my old 3700x. Almost a computer. So my plan is, when I get the new gpu use the old parts + other stuff to make a small computer to replace an old laptop that basically exists to run the Jellyfin client, watch Netflix, some emulation, moonlight to stream games, etc that drives my projector basically.

But I guess that doesn't matter, my question is what's the smallest form factor that 2070 super and stuff would fit in? I really don't know how big anything is besides atx, and I don't wanna buy a mini-itx mobo and case and then be like "well drat no way this is fitting in anything"

We would need to know the specific card you have. There’s lots of 2070 supers.