Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I AM HERE!

to sarcastically chide other posters about posting and cast aspersions on their mental health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Thoren posted:

Is it possible we're just not the main audience for these shonen battle manga?

Maybe Japanese teens think this is all the coolest poo poo.

All of these series seem to end in the same lovely way.

most of the time when I look at japanese fan reactions their opinions are usually fairly close to overseas fan reactions

I haven't been keeping up with this manga so I haven't been spending a lot of time reading japanese reactions to the latest chapters but there's at least a fair few Japanese fans who think the manga jumped the shark. idk if you can figure out how many though cause no one's doing a census on this stuff.

Some example comments from here https://syatikugamer.com/archives/15430990.html:

quote:

It's been totally swallowed up by Demon Slayer and Jujutsu

quote:

For better or for worse it's way too orthodox. It's not interesting if you know who's going to win as soon as the battle starts

quote:

The plot is developing in such a lame way that you don't get the satisfaction you normally get from an orthodox shonen.

quote:

It's funny how all the people who whine about Hero Academia being sooo boring always know whats going on in the latest chapter lol. You're still reading it!

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 24, 2022

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Boy howdy does this thread loving suck

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

:frogout:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Boy howdy does this thread loving suck

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
You think Deku's dad is gonna show up soon?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Maybe Deku's final Quirk is summoning his father.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Endorph posted:

people dogpiled them for calling people 'crying babies'. shockingly if you insult people they dont tend to agree with you.

Why would you put something in quotes that they didn't say?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

cool kids inc. posted:

As for 'Cry some more', the only folks crying here are the ones who can't stop whining about how awful everything is and present it as if it's an objective fact.

The millisecond someone comes in and goes 'but maybe not?' it turns into a bunch of completely unaware angry babies trying to out poo poo themselves with how long they think it's been awful and why

It wasn't the exact words, but the intent was clear just from this, even if it was in response to "cry more" lol

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Oh my bad, I didn't see "babies" on my first read through. Still, the immediate dogpile response to their first post was unwarranted , especially when they didn't directly call anyone out.

I guess some people feel too insecure about their posting to just ignore it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Scholtz posted:

Oh my bad, I didn't see "babies" on my first read through. Still, the immediate dogpile response to their first post was unwarranted , especially when they didn't directly call anyone out.

I guess some people feel too insecure about their posting to just ignore it.

Dude you literally questioned the mental state of one of those people you don't get to act like they're just thin skinned you freak.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Dude you literally questioned the mental state of one of those people you don't get to act like they're just thin skinned you freak.

Zen it's really difficult to take any criticism from you to heart when in other threads you've trawled through my post history to call me mad. I understand if you don't like me, the feeling is absolutely mutual, but you absolutely have no room to call other people freaks.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Oh my god shut the fuuuck upppppp

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

Oh my god shut the fuuuck upppppp

It'd be amazing if someone just said this to one of the villains. I like how the heroes can't win for poo poo in the eyes of the bad guys because they're always moving goalposts.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I discovered Toonami Aftermath earlier this week and I've been watching Justice League Unlimited, so I went back and watched all of Justice League and Justice League Unlimited

This manga was so good in the first third when it was just freshmen learning how to be heroes, this manga should've lasted so much longer, Class 1-A went from barely know how to use their powers to as strong or better than the top 10 ranked heroes without even making it to their sophomore year.

For a manga that was a love story to american super hero comic books they really didn't explore the genre that much.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It'd be amazing if someone just said this to one of the villains. I like how the heroes can't win for poo poo in the eyes of the bad guys because they're always moving goalposts.

“You don’t have any friends!” is the closest we’ll get to that sadly

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

For a manga that was a love story to american super hero comic books they really didn't explore the genre that much.

People keep saying this but aside from everyone being superheroes and not in a Tokusatsu or magical girl or Sonic the Hedgehog style I'm not really seeing it.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

RareAcumen posted:

People keep saying this but aside from everyone being superheroes and not in a Tokusatsu or magical girl or Sonic the Hedgehog style I'm not really seeing it.
I think it's the part where there are a lot of superheroes that have similar powers to existing Marvel and DC characters.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tampa Bae posted:

I think it's the part where there are a lot of superheroes that have similar powers to existing Marvel and DC characters.

i don't think that counts for much by itself. most of these superpowers are basically archetypes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of the core story plays into a lot of "teen heroes and adult heroes" comic stories. Some of that is just natural crossover between the concepts but it clearly comes from enough of a place that stuff like X-Men or Teen Titans is informing the story. (As well as Spider-Man.) A lot of the adult heroes have both visual and personality callbacks to American superheroes through a Shonen Manga lens (with All-Might being the most bluntly obvious of course.)

A lot of the plot arcs are plenty shonen but also plenty American Comic because the two aren't actually that different. The stuff that people are complaining about not getting enough focus like the bias against non-human quirks is basically just exactly an X-Men Plot and the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants and the League of Villains are (in some versions) not particularly different. The morality of killing is obviously something present in shonen but it's also a big part of superhero comics and the "I am going to find a way that ISN'T killing to stop this supervillain" is just as home there. Stuff like the Dark Deku arc isn't inspired by any one thing but is a super blunt homage to the classic "the heroes goes GRIM and DARK" plots which every loving hero goes through at some point or another. The school stuff ends up feeling a lot like X-Men focused school stuff right down to the students ending up in life and death battles which only adults should be part of. Even the core concept of "One incredibly great hero was the one who kept crime away and his absence will cause disasters" is another comic trope where like even Batman leaving Gotham City is a doomsday thing.

It doesn't stand out as any one particular thing because it isn't. It isn't "an American comic but made in Japan" but a very obviously inspired by American Comics setting and plot beats mixed with the usual shonen stuff. You can say "a lot of that stuff is just in shonen comics too' but that's kind of the point. Aside from obvious aesthetic differences and the quirks(lol) of the different comics (like MHA having an actual timeline instead of an Eternal Now) the two genres are honestly pretty similar.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 25, 2022

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

plenty of shoutouts small and large but i always thought the most unexpected was deku's powerset. fully spiderman'd that guy up with his added quirks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It doesn't stand out as any one particular thing because it isn't. It isn't "an American comic but made in Japan" but a very obviously inspired by American Comics setting and plot beats mixed with the usual shonen stuff. You can say "a lot of that stuff is just in shonen comics too' but that's kind of the point. Aside from obvious aesthetic differences and the quirks(lol) of the different comics (like MHA having an actual timeline instead of an Eternal Now) the two genres are honestly pretty similar.

This is the part I was missing. I never really got the American comics part because most of my experience with them was the animated TV shows so I was more seeing it as like an anime with ranks and the higher up the more reliable/stronger people think you. Like Naruto or Demon Slayer or One Piece, Black Clover, One Punch Man, etc. Probably just that I didn't grow up with the comics so I'm not seeing it as strongly as it is.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I grew up with Spiderman comics in the 90s and they weren't even remotely similar to this (or any other shounen), but it's possible that either that time period or specific series was an exception to the norm.

I mostly remember a lot of kinda angsty stuff involving the Scarlet Spider and various other Spiderman clones, and that I thought it was Super Adult at the time (I was like 10).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a lot like x-men evolution, the x-men cartoon with high school drama. only that had more high school than this.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There's also a good bit of Batman Beyond in MHA.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-367/chapter/25468?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014124

A chapter called "Deku vs. All For One" featuring almost no versusing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Deku arrived and then got a recap episode. That's it. That's the chapter.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
One thing I have to admit. That hand/finger mask thing that Shigaraki is sporting over his mouth and eye is a really cool look.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

its a lot like x-men evolution, the x-men cartoon with high school drama. only that had more high school than this.

SKULL.GIF posted:

There's also a good bit of Batman Beyond in MHA.

Yeah, even Young Justice has more High School than this.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

After thinking about it some, here's my fundamental problem with the manga currently: the entire setup for this final battle--from Dark Deku™ to Deku's arrival last chapter--robbed this battle of the initial tension. It is hard to become invested in a bunch of battles when the reader knows from the start there will be multiple parts--because the story already told them (AFO will always have some sort of Hail Mary, ShikiAFO ostensibly doesn't have access to his quirks). There was a lot of setup for stuff that ultimately doesn't matter, and when a bunch of popular characters are killed or maimed during battles that are already bereft of tension but set up to appear as though their moments are meaningful, it kinda manifests as the myriad complaints found in this thread the past few months.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lol'd at the dark rage deku

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not really sure what the point of using Black Whip like a scarf is, but it looks cool.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Rhonne posted:

I'm not really sure what the point of using Black Whip like a scarf is, but it looks cool.

to look like Eraserhead.

Deku cannot create he can only mimic.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

to look like Eraserhead.

Deku cannot create he can only mimic.

He hosed up his arms before Iida even began to cross the hand crusher.

A trend setter.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Prowler posted:

After thinking about it some, here's my fundamental problem with the manga currently: the entire setup for this final battle--from Dark Deku™ to Deku's arrival last chapter--robbed this battle of the initial tension. It is hard to become invested in a bunch of battles when the reader knows from the start there will be multiple parts--because the story already told them (AFO will always have some sort of Hail Mary, ShikiAFO ostensibly doesn't have access to his quirks). There was a lot of setup for stuff that ultimately doesn't matter, and when a bunch of popular characters are killed or maimed during battles that are already bereft of tension but set up to appear as though their moments are meaningful, it kinda manifests as the myriad complaints found in this thread the past few months.

I agree, especially with Shiggy still being quirk locked, especially especially that one of his quirks is hyper regeneration. Anything Deku does fighting-wise is immediately reset once AFO shows up. I hope Deku uses this time to try and stir up Shiggy's conscience so he rebels against AFO during the actual final fight.

I think the story/characters of AFO, OFA and Shiggy is really good and I'm still looking forward to the finale. My biggest problem with this final arc tho is the lack of setting. Teleporting all the cast to fight their 1v1s in their personal DBZ-esque wastelands felt really lazy. Like come on, shouldn't the self proclaimed demon lord who took over all of Japan atleast have a castle for the good guys to assault? The previous arc did this so well with the doktor's secret lab and the paranormal army's base.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Plus Overhaul's place and the assault on Kamino Ward. Heroes love a good raid.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You turn on YouTube and go to Mt. Lady's channel and watch her shill Raid: Shadow Legends in between her stream.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Midnights stream got banned after a week.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Too bad society broke before MHA could incorporate VTubing. This is why you never destroy society in your manga, otherwise you can't tie in the Next Hot Thing.

Viral media doesn't really seem to play a part in MHA, despite so much of heroes being (at least in the beginning) marketing themselves. At most we had Gentle with his failed YouTube channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ytlaya posted:

I grew up with Spiderman comics in the 90s and they weren't even remotely similar to this (or any other shounen), but it's possible that either that time period or specific series was an exception to the norm.

I mostly remember a lot of kinda angsty stuff involving the Scarlet Spider and various other Spiderman clones, and that I thought it was Super Adult at the time (I was like 10).

Overly angsty, meandering plotlines that go nowhere, villain identity reveals that make no sense and were clearly intended to be something else entirely, poo poo introduced years later solely to connect misplaced dots introduced into the story hodge-podge to try and keep waning readership up as plot threads floundered and failed all while no one had the decency to just end it years after it should have ended. I dunno, I'd say shonen manga is a lot like the clone saga!