Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Karate can fix anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Seems like the guy was pretty attached to the furniture store. Insurance can't fix a broken heart.

Also Barnes was, in his own way, just as traumatized and abused by Silver as Daniel was. The prospect of the boogie man coming back and taking his dream away from him again would be enough to drive him to a bit of irrational bloodlust.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It was such a letdown that Barnes was knocked out for most of the climax, I wanted to see him go shithouse on those guys.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

ruddiger posted:

It was such a letdown that Barnes was knocked out for most of the climax, I wanted to see him go shithouse on those guys.

That’s his move though. Happened in III as well.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Oh, no, sir. They're saying "Boo-arnes".

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I liked the whole season up until the final episode, which seemed almost like a joke in some ways. I dozed off for a bout 5 minutes halfway through the episode (my fault for marathoning it after a long day and little sleep, it wasn't boring) and was wondering if I was dreaming the last 15 or so minutes.

It feels like they had everything planned out for another season of the show, then it got axed at the last second and they had to tie everything up in one episode. Nothing that happened in the second half of that episode made any sense based on the setup and pacing of the whole season. Of course, there will probably still be a season 6 with how popular it is, which is why I don't quite understand the sudden resolutions to seemingly many plot arcs. The show has always been a good combination of silly and serious, but I think it doubled or even tripled up on the looney ending, there.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Just finished the season. It was fun, we mostly enjoyed Silver, being his best villain self. We actually liked the Korean lady. It was like she was out of a Kill Bill movie and didn't realize she got in a Netflix karate tv show. Also, one of the Cobra-kai sensei's had an eyepatch and anime hair lol. I kept pointing him out in the background, like what the hell.

Our biggest highlight though was my son's real life karate sensei played one of the international tournament folks. He was the the thin Japanese guy with white hair that the Russian guy tried to speak Japanese too. He also had some reply in Japanese, but they cut it out, so he had no lines. I hope he is in next season when they have they have the tournament, and gets to demonstrate some karate. They gotta have the tournament now in Season 6, right?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Terry and Kim's squad of 80s mid-card villain backup dancer senseis was the best. It's something that's incredibly stupid, but by the time they all start punching and kicking, you're just into it and down for whatever madness they want to whip out next.

I saw someone describe Cobra Kai as basically a Power Rangers show without any super powers, and now I just can't unsee it. It's factually correct.

E: https://old.reddit.com/r/cobrakai/comments/usuay8/characters_as_power_rangers/

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 25, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

AgentHaiTo posted:

We actually liked the Korean lady. It was like she was out of a Kill Bill movie and didn't realize she got in a Netflix karate tv show.

Yeah, I kinda do not get the hate for the Korean lady. I dunno if she was a good actor or not, but she was channeling similar terrible villains from the 80s movies that the show is based on. She was silly and evil but didn't seem out of place.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I kinda do not get the hate for the Korean lady. I dunno if she was a good actor or not, but she was channeling similar terrible villains from the 80s movies that the show is based on. She was silly and evil but didn't seem out of place.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

nine-gear crow posted:

Terry and Kim's squad of 80s mid-card villain backup dancer senseis was the best. It's something that's incredibly stupid, but by the time they all start punching and kicking, you're just into it and down for whatever madness they want to whip out next.

I saw someone describe Cobra Kai as basically a Power Rangers show without any super powers, and now I just can't unsee it. It's factually correct.

E: https://old.reddit.com/r/cobrakai/comments/usuay8/characters_as_power_rangers/

Oh Cobra Kai is fully Tokusatsu. They pulled Robbie straight out of the Jason David Frank clone pile, and there's tons of Kamen Rider style homoerotic tension

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

nine-gear crow posted:

The first time I ever saw Robbie on this show I thought “oh wow if they ever need a new Green Ranger…”

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Thought that was a fantastic season. Probably one of the best since the first, given we didn't get yet another miscommunication / circumstance that rehashes the Daniel / Johnny antagonism.

Though like others mentioned, I was surprised at how abruptly and neatly everything wrapped up.

When the final showdown amounts to 'let's all get drunk and assault this guy at his house' / 'lets break into Cobra Kai HQ and steal their stuff' - these all seem like extraordinary bad ideas, the type the moral message of the show probably would usually push back on - but it pays off for them! Somehow Silver is immediately arrested, despite being home / business invaded, and it seems like everyone else gets off scott free.

I also thought it was a bit silly that the Cobra Kai members would immediately throw off their Ghis and denounce the dojo when they see Silver paying off the judge. I feel they were brainwashed enough with the spirit of strike first / no mercy that they could internalise it.

They never seemed to care about honour - and if they really did, current All Valley champion Tori could have, y'know, at any time told them the match was rigged.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Cobra Kai under Terry Silver was a straight up karate cult, and more than a few real life cults have absolutely imploded after the cult leader is revealed to be a fraud. Tori running around and going "Terry bribed the refs" would get her curbstomped by everyone else in Cobra Kai. Video footage of Silver in his own words saying "Hell yeah I bribed the refs" is far more instantly damaging evidence. It wasn't about honor, it was about strength, and buying a win wasn't a show of strength, it was an act of weakness and according to the very thing Terry taught them all, if your leader is weak he is not worth following.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
It's also pretty central to his pathos as a villain - he's dangerous because he has more power, resources and reach than his mentors, and he's quite a bit cleverer, but he doesn't have the actual ideological commitment that Kreese has.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
If it hadn't been for the ending with Kreese, I would have said the show reached it's logical conclusion with this season.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Soonmot posted:

If it hadn't been for the ending with Kreese, I would have said the show reached it's logical conclusion with this season.

And even then, Kreese faking his death and escaping from prison into the night presumably never to be seen again would have been the perfect note to end the show if they'd followed through and given Kreese a proper redemption in prison. Because they've been teasing for so long that Kreese was a redeemable figure, so why not just let him have his due and call it a day?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Because Martin Kove rules and you shouldn't have him sitting in prison for half the season.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hakkesshu posted:

Because Martin Kove rules and you shouldn't have him sitting in prison for half the season.
It felt like the actor might have made a request to the showrunners to have a lighter role due to health/age. The fact that all he really did was sit in prison for a few eps and swap out to a younger actor for the fight made me think it was his decision.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Frankly I kinda wish they did finish the Kreese arc with his prison death. Martin Kove is 76 and probably isn't to have any great climatic battle at this point. Would have been fine with the final season being the world tournament and Johnny either completely burying Cobra Kai or taking it back and turning it into a positive dojo. Kreese dying could've served as a big impetus for Johnny's final maturation.

Anyway, it's fairly open ended now so tbd about where they go with Kreese.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Was it ever established if Kreese’s captain was lying or not about his high school crush dying? I kinda feel like that’s a swerve still being set up.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It was like 60 years ago now, it's probably long past mattering.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I mean, highschool was 20-30 years ago for Johnny and Daniel but it still defines them.

But I think it's pretty clear he wasn't lying. Before they go on the mission he gets the letter and he says they shouldn't give kreese the news because that'll distract him etc.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I think in the Karate Kid universe your teenage years define you for the rest of your life and never leave you alone.

Hell, even Amanda this season ran into a bunch of catty women from her high school, straight out of *insert movie here*, which is rather hilarious given than canonically these women should be in what, their 50s?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

iamsosmrt posted:

Frankly I kinda wish they did finish the Kreese arc with his prison death. Martin Kove is 76 and probably isn't to have any great climatic battle at this point. Would have been fine with the final season being the world tournament and Johnny either completely burying Cobra Kai or taking it back and turning it into a positive dojo. Kreese dying could've served as a big impetus for Johnny's final maturation.

Anyway, it's fairly open ended now so tbd about where they go with Kreese.

Same.

Having Kreese die would give the show some much needed raising of the stakes, I think, and also it seemed like by and large that Kreese's arc was pretty complete. If you kill him off maybe you could somehow have it where Johnny unearths some old letters/photos or something that gives him some catharsis and character growth, like you said. Only thing I can imagine now is Kreese somehow teaming up with Miyagi Do or some poo poo but we've kind of already seen that.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I'm curious as to where the next season can really go. With the exception of Kreese it feels like they finished up what they could have in LA with the existing characters. Presumably it will be about the international tournament, which seems like a good excuse to change up the setting by moving the cast to Japan or wherever, but that would probably need a new antagonist, or perhaps Kim and her homeland students / a bunch of kids we haven't seen before representing Cobra Kai?

Somehow Kreese will need to be involved, suspending disbelief as a fugitive on the plane or however they're going to shoe him in.

As long as the 'don't have to name the Dojo yet' comment about the tournament doesn't get Larusso and Lawrence at each other's throats again...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Seems like it would be more likely that Silver would come back instead of Kreese. Kreese just escaped jail, only way he'd come back is if he's somehow ended up at the tournament in Japan.

Silver on the other hand is going to have big money lawyers and likely able to buy his way out of jail, really what crimes did he actually commit, buying off a Karate judge and injuring a Karate student as his Dojo and I guess framing Kreese, but Kreese is AWOL and not an usable witness? A fight at his house, not too hard to argue self defense.

There really is only the tournament in Japan for them to do if there even is a 6th season, and even then seems like they'd drop Miyagi Do at the same time as dropping Cobra Kai from the event.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Seems like it would be more likely that Silver would come back instead of Kreese. Kreese just escaped jail, only way he'd come back is if he's somehow ended up at the tournament in Japan.

Silver on the other hand is going to have big money lawyers and likely able to buy his way out of jail, really what crimes did he actually commit, buying off a Karate judge and injuring a Karate student as his Dojo and I guess framing Kreese, but Kreese is AWOL and not an usable witness? A fight at his house, not too hard to argue self defense.

There really is only the tournament in Japan for them to do if there even is a 6th season, and even then seems like they'd drop Miyagi Do at the same time as dropping Cobra Kai from the event.

they have him on video beating the crap out of stingray in a not- remotely like a lesson way. Wonder what that does for kreese considering he busted out of jail right when it comes out he didn't do it

wait no they don't have the assault on video, never mind

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished the latest season last night after stalling on the final 4 episodes for like close to a month.

Highlights:

-Chozen bringing sais to a nightclub.

-The NO MERCY MOTHERFUCKER bait and switch LaRusso did to Kreese in prison with the lawyer phone number. :perfect:

-Tyron Woodley getting his hand sliced by the missed swing by Silver Goon #4 and then kicked in the face and knocked out cold by Dad Power Johnny :discourse:

-Penis Breath swapping sides because he was tired of getting called Penis Breath and then immediately being called Penis Breath. That's what you get, Penis Breath.

-LaRusso using the Quicksilver Method against Silver and then finishing him with the crane kick. It was pretty much everything I was hoping for in their climactic fight all season.

This show from S1 to now has no right being this good. The way it's woven characters and events from all 3 Karate Kid movies into this series is masterful and I can't believe I just typed that.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 27, 2022

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The last season will be about the entire Cobra Kai gang going to Europe, to bail Mike out after he tried to sell a stolen Rembrandt to the vory v zakone.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m halfway through the season, having fun.

Chozen beating up Barnes’ employees as a gag was a little over-the-top even for this goofy-rear end show.

I thought the swelling dramatic music during a pepper eating competition was a little silly, and then I got to the dramatic water slide race.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m halfway through the season, having fun.

Chozen beating up Barnes’ employees as a gag was a little over-the-top even for this goofy-rear end show.

I thought the swelling dramatic music during a pepper eating competition was a little silly, and then I got to the dramatic water slide race.

Funny if it turned out Barnes store was burned down by disgruntled employees who weren't expecting to get assaulted by a Japanese karate master and their boss not filing charges or providing proper medical coverage.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

iamsosmrt posted:

Funny if it turned out Barnes store was burned down by disgruntled employees who weren't expecting to get assaulted by a Japanese karate master and their boss not filing charges or providing proper medical coverage.

Or if that teacher he was talking to on the phone who got pissed that Barnes failed to deliver on his promise of new tables for the school and instead spent all day talking with Daniel and Chozen about Terry Silver and selling Chozen a couch.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

AndyElusive posted:

This show from S1 to now has no right being this good. The way it's woven characters and events from all 3 Karate Kid movies into this series is masterful and I can't believe I just typed that.

This is a common sentiment and I feel the same way too.

I've wracked my brain trying to come up with an apt comparison and keep drawing a blank. There's a lot of "so bad they're great" movies and tons of really cheesy shows and poo poo that somehow wind up being lovable but CK feels like its own thing to the point that I think it will soon spawn imitators. It's almost its own loving genre at this stage.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

The closest I can think of is Riverdale. They're both absolutely sincere attempts at something inherently silly.

The next closest is high drama soaps, but I'm not familiar enough with soaps to say if any have as silly of a premise.

Maybe old goons just aren't familiar with all these teen soaps. Maybe it's exactly like pretty little liars.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I was skeptical about bringing back Chozen but he really did liven up the season. I do wonder what would have happened if Daniel hadn't "struck first" this season and just let Silver be.

And I know that's a common refrain, but I feel like outside of some jackassery Terry would have been satisfied lording his superiority over Daniel without going full (literal) scorched earth

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Riverdale has aliens, serial killers, parallel universes and bizarre continuity. It isn’t half as contained within the original as cobra. The main gimmick of cobra is “you can solve many of life‘s problems with karate.”

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Series is going to end with LaRusso sitting on the throne of Cobra Kai in a sort of necromonger chronicals of riddick way, king of the karate world after winning the world championship.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Goffer posted:

Series is going to end with LaRusso sitting on the throne of Cobra Kai in a sort of necromonger chronicals of riddick way, king of the karate world after winning the world championship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Goffer posted:

We've already referred to Daniel as a New Jersey Shang Tsung in this thread, so that works.