Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Takanago posted:

One of the best parts of classic (open)xcom is being able to use conventional high explosives to blow a hole in the side of a ufo instead of going through the front door

You could do this in the new one too, most of the terrain was destructible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah the new XCOM didn't let you free aim guns but explosives were quite capable of blowing open walls and the heavy guns could still inadvertently blow up cover as well

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

what the gently caress do you guys actually do in paradox games besides sit on max speed and click prompts?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

but cultural? As a Marxist, no way, jose

The game models nationalist non-class wars so it's a lost cause from the jump.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

KaptainKrunk posted:

what the gently caress do you guys actually do in paradox games besides sit on max speed and click prompts?

i usually pause the game and stare at the screen trying to make a decision

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

KaptainKrunk posted:

pause every three seconds to recheck something I know hasn’t fired or occurred yet

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

KaptainKrunk posted:

I write slash fiction about my generals.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

KaptainKrunk posted:

I like to set up weird scenarios and see what happens like I'm hari Seldon meddling in society with psychohistory

Also in some paradox games I pretend to be a Vampire or a wizard in the modern world

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Armadillo Tank posted:

OpenXcom. It's made by forum goers like sup-super.

The X Files mod in OpenXcom is the most mindblowing thing I've ever witnessed in my life. It is old xcom, but moreso at every possible opportunity.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

KaptainKrunk posted:

wait for a bar to fill up so you can click a button which starts another bar filling up

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

KaptainKrunk posted:

I mod it into being about a problematic property. Fallout for HoI4, 40k for Stellaris, Game of Thrones for CK3

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

KaptainKrunk posted:

It's like those clicker games where you mostly watch number go up but instead of a number you're painting the map.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just want to Call In Homeless Friend for this observation:

Homeless Friend posted:

there’s no way an alpha protocol sequel would ever live up to expectations

Because the Hitman guys making 007 is extremely exciting and I think they could pull off Alpha Protocol with Obsidian’s writing team. A sequel is possible we’ve seen games nail parts of what make Alpha Protocol great, just never in the same game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Frosted Flake posted:

I just want to Call In Homeless Friend for this observation:

Because the Hitman guys making 007 is extremely exciting and I think they could pull off Alpha Protocol with Obsidian’s writing team. A sequel is possible we’ve seen games nail parts of what make Alpha Protocol great, just never in the same game.

This is getting a bit off topic but Hitman had shockingly good writing for what it was

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

StashAugustine posted:

This is getting a bit off topic but Hitman had shockingly good writing for what it was

the overall plot was rubbish but the in-mission writing was often great. the Ark Society level with the eyes wide shut billionaire party especially

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Speaking of X com, I have both xenonauts and phoenix point but played neither so far.

Are they any good? I hear a lot of conflicting reports on the latter.

Frosted Flake posted:

Can you not do that in these ones?

I have Chimera Squad in my library because there was some promo when I bought War of the Chosen but haven’t tried it yet. The reviews all say it’s very good but very different. Anyone tried it?

It's very fun but I played a single campaign fully and then uninstalled since I effectively saw all relevant content.

Characters aren't random, you get a specific number they includes aliens, all with voice acting and unique skills.

You're basically a SWAT team responsible for security in a mega city. Combat is always built on breaking into a facility and you can choose usually multiple entry points, even splitting your team between those areas, and using an assortment of tools like flash bangs, explosives and drones to make your entry easier.

It's a game where you play a super inclusive, non racist SWAT team fighting for the good of the community. It's a very good sci fi fiction.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also one voice actor played her character in a sassy and seductive voice and the devs didn't tell her she was actually voicing the role of the big titty snake woman.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. Xenonauts is more like OG X-COM, and it's set in the 1980s. It hits its mark very well, but the production value is a little rough (it was one of the first big kickstarters and the age shows). It's worth a play if you're interested in that kind of 90s X-Com gameplay but don't want to go all the way back to OpenXcom necessarily.

2. Phoenix Point was a buggy and untuned mess on release, but has since been massively improved and is sort of an auteur take on revamping the Xcom formula (by the guy who did the original). For example, you no longer get to-hit percentages, but instead you go into a first-person aiming view like Fallout does with VATS, and there's a circle representing where your shots might land. If you're at point-blank range, then the enemy's body might fill the entire circle, in which case, you can't miss. If you're at a distance, or the enemy is in cover, then part of the circle is not covering the enemy's body, and that's your effective chance-to-miss. More accurate aiming yields a smaller circle to aim with, but costs (this is essentially the same kind of aiming that OG Xcom did, but now with the magic of full 3D gaming you can actually see it visualized in real-time).

3. Chimera Squad makes a couple of big changes to the Nu-XCOM formula:

- all of the "look for a pod to activate" movement of a typical XCOM mission is now skipped, in favor of SWAT-style "break-ins" into rooms. This eliminates all the downtime between "encounters", but it does mean that fights tend to be a little more static, and it sort of lifts the veil on how the game actually works.

- alternating initiative, instead of IGOUGO between all of XCOM and all of the aliens. This is an good change IMO and breaks up the Alpha Strike mentality. You're still encouraged to do it, but it's less devastating.

- it leans way harder into the RPG aspect of Nu-XCOM by turning each trooper into a unique individual with their own special set of abilities. Instead of a support class, you now have just one specific person playing medic.

It's a good game, and absolutely worth the pick-up on a sale, but I personally couldn't bear the Joss Whedon-style banter and the ideological bent of playing cops.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
ideological bent is fine but quorked up american white woman banter is where I draw the line

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

I found picking alien squad members tends to cut down on the whedon banter and they'll talk about other things like life before xcom won.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Between xcom 2 and chimera squad, I'm really interested in trying one of the burgers they keep talking about.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Plus the snake lady has a whole thing about how she's not an alien, she was born and raised in Antarctica.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

PerniciousKnid posted:

The game models nationalist non-class wars so it's a lost cause from the jump.

Yeah but those actually exist. The end of history doesn’t. Unless it’s the death of the last human being, which isn’t a victory (for us).

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KaptainKrunk posted:

You make up your own stories OP. That's what makes a lot of those styles of games fun.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Orange Devil posted:

Yeah but those actually exist. The end of history doesn’t. Unless it’s the death of the last human being, which isn’t a victory (for us).

The wars and propaganda exist but the victories do not. It's as imaginary as the cultural victory. If anything, the fact I can go to another country and eat McDonald's is more materially meaningful than whether they pay taxes to the same billionaires I do.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Has anyone played this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1096930/Strategic_Command_World_War_I/

Is it any good? I've not played any of the titles in the series but I've been on the lookout for a WW1 game in this style.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Has someone made a western front WW1 game in the style of Defcon. There would be only a few mechanics to set up offensives, and when you order the offensive the main feedback is seeing the total number of casualties go up.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

That's how I imagine a WWI HoI4 mod looks like.

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008

Minenfeld! posted:

Has anyone played this: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1096930/Strategic_Command_World_War_I/

Is it any good? I've not played any of the titles in the series but I've been on the lookout for a WW1 game in this style.

yeah and it is fun, though pretty abstracted. i imagine it is even more fun in mp

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mans posted:

Between xcom 2 and chimera squad, I'm really interested in trying one of the burgers they keep talking about.

The burgers are people, right?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Its chicken

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Frosted Flake posted:

The burgers are people, right?

They have burguer factories where meat comes out, but no one ever sees meat getting in.

edit: they still exist in chimera squad so i assume it's not people or known, sentient, aliens.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Used to be people, the peacetime compromise is non-sentient vatgrown human meat. Everyone's happy!

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

after the war they have a cereal that comes alive if you eat it and it detects its poisonous to the eater so you feel your food wiggle inside your mouth to let you know you have a problem.

one of your named characters in xcom 2 says he misses getting to eat advent burgers ever since he defected to xcom.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

*completely deadened emotional affect* I can't wait for terra invicta tommorow

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Mister Bates posted:

it's a shame, because if you cheated and modded the demo to skip past the Earth stuff and get to the other game, where you're building stations and outposts and trying to combat an aggressive alien force expanding through the solar system, it's actually pretty good! they should have just made that game!

Whatever, hopefully the engine is extensible enough that some aspiring dev team will Long War their game and create an econ system and all that other stuff its missing to make it fully fleshed out.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

TBH I'm really looking forward to terra invicta, I like the planet stuff and how the scope of the game changes as it goes on and the quasi-cooperative\competitive thing with some of the factions. Not gonna day 1 it though probably since the demo was just the early days

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

EA for terra Invicta is tomorrow

And the Old World Blues mod for HoI4 is a pretty fun map painter. Trying to keep the smaller dumber BoS factions alive is interesting

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just wish the Paradox games were a little less stingy with giving you free rein to actually paint the map your color. 4X games generally don't give a poo poo about casus belli, and every time I want to play a Paradox game I end up looking for a mod that gives me that same freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just wish the Paradox games were a little less stingy with giving you free rein to actually paint the map your color. 4X games generally don't give a poo poo about casus belli, and every time I want to play a Paradox game I end up looking for a mod that gives me that same freedom.

Everyone (sane) always says this, but it just doesn't really fit their design goals or aesthetics. The EU games in particular, are really, brutally easy if you remove the roadblocks to map painting. Stellaris is kind of what it looks like when there's not a lot stopping you from running over your neighbors, and tbh I think that's where some of the problems in that game really stem from.