Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the battery is over 3 years old at this point on an 11 pro bought at release, it's definitely in replacement territory anyway. unless you're planning to trade it in very soon or it's in terrible shape and has other problems, i'd say just pay the $70 for a battery replacement. there's a good chance it will fix the issues you're experiencing, plus give the phone another ~3 years of life if you want to hang on to it or give it away to kids/family/friends next time you upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fun wallpaper trivia: if you set a photo shuffle to a 24 hour interval, it updates based on when you make it the in use Lock Screen, not based on some set time of the day.

I would assume it rotates over night at some point so you got a cool new screen for the day, but nah it seems to rotate around 2 in the afternoon which is when I created it/activated it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If anyone wants a cheap set of AirPods Pro (1st gen) I'm unloading mine in the Mart.

edit: picked up the new Pros and they're great.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Well something fishy is going on I guess. I grabbed the iMazing macOS app and looked at the battery maintenance info for my phone.

iMazing posted:

Battery Health Excellent
Battery Design Max. Charge: 3028 mAh
Battery Effective Max. Charge: 3044 mAh (100.5%)
Battery Charge Cycles: 858

Apple posted:

A normal battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles when operating under normal conditions.

So my battery has 858 charge cycles and currently has 100.5% charge capacity left? Actually having more charge capacity than the battery is designed for after three years isn't bad, especially since Apple says you're expected to have 80% capacity after 500 charge cycles. :P Something must be wrong.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know if this will help, but this is something I remember from my computer hardware janitor days.

I might do this just to see what it does and to avoid having to go to the fruit stand until I try everything.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

In those battery settings do you see Peak Performance? The phone will throw on performance management with a single unexpected shutdown which can cause some slowdowns, but you can turn it off.

I'm still show Peak Performance has turned on. But now that you mention it I feel like I may experienced some weird reboots here and there so it feels like it should be off.

Bad Purchase posted:

the battery is over 3 years old at this point on an 11 pro bought at release, it's definitely in replacement territory anyway. unless you're planning to trade it in very soon or it's in terrible shape and has other problems, i'd say just pay the $70 for a battery replacement. there's a good chance it will fix the issues you're experiencing, plus give the phone another ~3 years of life if you want to hang on to it or give it away to kids/family/friends next time you upgrade.

Yeah, this will probably be the end result.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This is the ideal battery management panel. You might not agree with me, but this is what Peak Performance looks like.

(:v:)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Quackles posted:

This is the ideal battery management panel. You might not agree with me, but this is what Peak Performance looks like.

(:v:)

:golfclap:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

nitsuga posted:

*Scrolls right past on 11 Pro.

OP, it's your choice. I am too cheap to fork out for a 14 Pro, and I can't say I'm held back by anything currently. "Worth it" is dependent on a number of factors.

pkells posted:

Went from 6 -> 8 Plus -> 11 -> 14 Pro Max (waiting on delivery). I think one of the things I'm most excited for getting back into the saddle brown leather case club. I've tried a couple 3rd party leather cases for my 11, but none of them were great.

I wasn't planning on upgrading just yet, but when T-Mobile is offering me $800 for my 11, why not?

This is actually why I'm considering: Verizon is offering me $800 for my 11 Pro, so it'd make the upgrade to the 14 Pro cost me about $300 or 400 depending on the memory size I go with.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Violator posted:

Well something fishy is going on I guess. I grabbed the iMazing macOS app and looked at the battery maintenance info for my phone.

So my battery has 858 charge cycles and currently has 100.5% charge capacity left? Actually having more charge capacity than the battery is designed for after three years isn't bad, especially since Apple says you're expected to have 80% capacity after 500 charge cycles. :P Something must be wrong.

I might do this just to see what it does and to avoid having to go to the fruit stand until I try everything.

I'm still show Peak Performance has turned on. But now that you mention it I feel like I may experienced some weird reboots here and there so it feels like it should be off.

Yeah, this will probably be the end result.

I’d say your battery is toasted, take it to the Genius Bar and see what they say, you should have a lot lower than 91 percent battery health

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
its mind boggling that they still haven't added at least an optional shortcut to settings in the Control Center shortcuts. I probably enter Settings at least once a day.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

why swipe all over the place like a buffoon when you could just say "hey siri, open settings"

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

its mind boggling that they still haven't added at least an optional shortcut to settings in the Control Center shortcuts. I probably enter Settings at least once a day.

why

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quit janitoring your phone.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Arguing against more functionality is peak Apple Fanboy

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

you shouldn't arrange your homescreen either, that's janitoring. besides, it's easy to find your apps if you just commit to memory the order in which you downloaded them over the years.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
more options are generally a good thing but lol that settings is apparently the app you need to access constantly. like i asked, why? what you doin' in there, bud?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

POCKET CHOMP posted:

more options are generally a good thing but lol that settings is apparently the app you need to access constantly. like i asked, why? what you doin' in there, bud?

It's the only way to connect to Bluetooth devices that don't connect automatically.
It's the only way to connect to specific nearby WiFi.
I often have to switch between 5G and LTE because one or the other will slow down in congested areas.
I don't use unlimited data so I occasionally like to see how much data I've used.
It's the only way to toggle Personal Hotspot, which I don't want on all the time.
If I download a new app I gotta configure the way notifications are displayed.

and probably several other things that aren't janitoring but can only be done through Settings. So I probably do at least one of these things daily. Considering how useless some of the shortcuts they DO have for the Control Center are, it's pretty bizarre to keep so much functionality confined to an App icon only.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 25, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there is one thing i do almost every day in settings: force my airpods/beats fit pros to switch back to my iphone after using them on my macbook. the auto-switching just doesn't work reliably at all.

technically it can be done through control center by long pressing on bluetooth, then long pressing on bluetooth again, and picking them in the menu. but between muscle memory and the double long-press delay, opening / app switching to settings is just faster.

e: also, to the poster above me, some of those things can be done through long presses in control center - like wifi network hopping and the hotspot toggle, if that helps.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 25, 2022

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Violator posted:

Those two numbers do not go together, if you call Applecare they can diagnose the battery in 2 mins.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

It's the only way to connect to Bluetooth devices that don't connect automatically.
I often have to switch between 5G and LTE because one or the other will slow down in congested areas.
I don't use unlimited data so I occasionally like to see how much data I've used.
It's the only way to toggle Personal Hotspot, which I don't want on all the time.

and probably several other things that aren't janitoring but can only be done through Settings. So I probably do at least one of these things daily. Considering how useless some of the shortcuts they DO have for the Control Center are, it's pretty bizarre to keep so much functionality confined to an App icon only.

At least for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connections you can just press and hold on the icons to get to control centre.

Also if you wanna go to settings and for whatever reason don’t want an icon on your Home Screen for it (?) just press the bottom of your homescreen to bring up search, type “s” and it’ll be right there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

there is one thing i do almost every day in settings: force my airpods/beats fit pros to switch back to my iphone after using them on my macbook. the auto-switching just doesn't work reliably at all.

You can do this by tapping the icon (if nothing is connected, it's concentric circles with a triangle) in the upper right of the playback controls box in the control center. It gives a list of all available audio destinations and if the headphones are in your ears they should show up.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Pull down on the home screen, tap the first letter of the app you want (sometimes the second) and tap the app. No shouting, no managing home screens.

I do this gesture so automatically, I had to grab my phone to remember what it was.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

doingitwrong posted:

Pull down on the home screen, tap the first letter of the app you want (sometimes the second) and tap the app. No shouting, no managing home screens.

I do this gesture so automatically, I had to grab my phone to remember what it was.

I just wish the "top hits" showed up at the bottom of the screen.

Also ios 16 made this even more obvious by adding that "search" bubble. They clearly want people to be doing that more.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

SourKraut posted:

This is actually why I'm considering: Verizon is offering me $800 for my 11 Pro, so it'd make the upgrade to the 14 Pro cost me about $300 or 400 depending on the memory size I go with.

That’s a pretty good offer, more than twice what Apple is offering on an outright purchase. If that was on the table, I’d be tempted too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

SourKraut posted:

Make sure you do this this week, promo ends Sept 30th.

Don’t feel obligated, but if you need help ordering feel free to PM me , I’m off today but work the rest of the month.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

To pile onto the solutions, you can also create a shortcut in the shortcuts app and create a Home Screen button for it. I use this to switch my non Apple earbuds between devices and it works really nicely.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

xzzy posted:

You can do this by tapping the icon (if nothing is connected, it's concentric circles with a triangle) in the upper right of the playback controls box in the control center. It gives a list of all available audio destinations and if the headphones are in your ears they should show up.

this seems to only work for fullscreen playback though, which i very rarely do unless i’m watching a long video. just tried it in safari and discord with a few embedded audio and video files and there was no quick switch for the audio output while the content was inline. youtube was especially egregious because the control to go fullscreen wasn’t even available until an ad finished.

i think i’ll stick with settings, which works consistently and doesn’t require me to start playback through the phone speakers and then switch to bluetooth and rewind to hear the part i missed during the switchover gap.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Pretty annoyed at persistent glaring bugs on my expensive Tim phone

1. Pop in with the weather Lock Screen
2. Volume indicator does not show up on Lock Screen sometimes, need to unlock and swipe into app to see where volume is at, even while adjusting

Ugh! At least I can tell myself there are more bugs on the unwalled Android Ecosystem

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Works on my machine.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Duckman2008 posted:

Make sure you do this this week, promo ends Sept 30th.

Don’t feel obligated, but if you need help ordering feel free to PM me , I’m off today but work the rest of the month.

Thanks! I don't think I'll need help ordering, but if there's an option to put in a Verizon employee code or so, let me know and PM it to me and I can use it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I just realized that if you hard press while on the lock screen it gives you the option to switch between pre-set wallpapers. Not sure I totally get the use case of this. Maybe one with the work week and one for the weekend? idk

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I just realized that if you hard press while on the lock screen it gives you the option to switch between pre-set wallpapers. Not sure I totally get the use case of this. Maybe one with the work week and one for the weekend? idk

That’s how you customize lock screens though.

I just noticed if you hold an empty space on your Home Screen, it makes all your apps jiggle. That’s kinda cool.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I almost kinda don’t like it because I’ve triggered it by accident a few times now.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That’s how you customize lock screens though.

I just noticed if you hold an empty space on your Home Screen, it makes all your apps jiggle. That’s kinda cool.

Careful though, I once got an app to completely disappear with this and it never came back.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
This is a shortcut with a nice menu for swapping between Bluetooth devices:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/f9ee9d912b09427ca9b2779730b91977

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Vegetable posted:

You can tie wallpapers to focus modes so it's a quick/visual way to flip between focuses. Different wallpapers can also have different kinds of widgets on. So maybe you want a wallpaper with the cool dynamic weather background on in certain contexts.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

GhostOfTomNook posted:

There’s a bug in the iOS 16 Apple TV remote app where pasted text doesn’t get sent to the tv and it’s killing me.

The best way I know to watch out of market sports on my tv is to send a stream url from my phone to Quadstream on my Apple TV. Without the remote app I’m stuck.

On the upside, airplay works much better in the background than the last time I tried it.

Nope, I was wrong. Airplay is still dogshit that stops the video on my TV if I open the twiiter app on my phone.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

drat the cameras are so big the phone wont lie flat even with the official leather case

maybe they could add a little nub on the bottom for balance and for fiddling with

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I think I’d rather they just made the phone thicker.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I think I’d rather they just made the phone thicker.

That would be cool.

I would take a fat phone with a 3 day heavy use battery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

That would be cool.

I would take a fat phone with a 3 day heavy use battery.

you can kinda do this with battery cases if that's your preference