Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Back Hack posted:

Oh man, thought we final got the ability to color our suits.

They've alluded to player customization options possibly being added in the future, though only in the "ehh maybe" sort of way that they answer basically everything in dev streams. Would be a nice addition even if you can't really see your character the majority of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just a rundown of the new stuff for those like me who didnt look at experimental

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuQeyw35sAU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can't believe they removed players jumping when attacked by another player :mad:

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Tried to make it to the end before Update 6 moved from Experimental to the main branch but didn't quite make it. Here's my Employee of the Planet achievement post! I hope you like looking at concrete foundations and steel beams, because that's as much of an aesthetic as you're going to find here.

First very large factory for the Assembly Director System. About 350 machines not including any of the initial raw resource extraction. My first foray in to some real vertical builds. There were a LOT of mistakes during this one but it eventaully cranked out a whopping 4 ADS per second. Choosing to do ADS first was, in hindsight, a pretty bad choice. These things are complicated. Also I think I relied on the wiki too much which really discouraged a lot of alternate recipes that would simplify things quite a bit at the expense of 'rarer' materials. But I wasn't trying to hit any potential max or whatever for this world so using a little extra caterium could have made my life easier. I'm thinking specifically of loving cable. Jesus was the loving cable tower a pain to build for this production line.

A long distance shot of the Heavy Modular Frame factory. This was a part that was required towards the end of the chain on 3 of the 4 final parts so I built a dedicated factory for it. It also had the benefit of only needing Iron and Coal to run so was able to be tucked away and then use Drones to fly the final parts out.

For the last 3 parts I said gently caress it and built a hive city off the coast. This isn't quite the last shot (most of the framed out parts had extra levels added by the end) but having essentially unlimited space made things much easier to work with. In the top right you can see the 8 or 9 train depots that brought resources in. Drones import Heavy Modular Frames and Modular Engines - both factories off-site and repurposed from earlier milestones (but heavily juiced up).

A semi-early shot of the Oil Coast, there were a couple more layers added to both towers. This is where most of the plastic and rubber came from. I built this pretty early and both had very large storage caches, so even though by the end I was burning way more of each than I was producing I had enough stockpiled to push through.

The final 3 parts loaded on to a train so I could carry them back to hand them in. On the left is the Nuclear Power setup I had to build to power the particle accelerators just to the left of the train in this shot. This actually must not have everything because I was up to 10 Particle Accelerators to finish off. Nuclear was pretty fun to set up.

We did it. drat this is a nice rear end mug.

My final map. I started along in the Grass Fields and then expanded northwest for most of the game until I landed in the NW in the Rocky Desert biome and made that my final location for the big builds. I only ever went Hard Drive hunting in the Dune Desert and Swamp.

Some final numbers from this playthrough:
154.5 hours. I'd say probably 3/4 of that is active playtime and the other 1/4 was looking at maps / planning production lines / waiting for something to finish building.
31,839 foundations
1,583 production buildings
120km of conveyor belts
26km of pipes
33km of train tracks

Some final thoughts:
Figuring out Trains was the big thing that helped me get over the final hump. I posted here a couple months ago with my struggles, took a ~6 week break to play PoE and then came back and something clicked. I spent some time loving around with the 3x3 grid for making 90 degree turns and finally figured it out. After that setting up depots was easy, and laying long tracks felt less daunting when I knew I'd be able to finish them off easily.

My loving kingdom for a priority merger. I missed Factorio's splitting/merging mechanics literally every time I played. I figured out some ok stuff with Smart Splitters that let me mimic some of what I'd usually do in factorio but it all felt bad and suboptimal.

I don't think I'll play this again without mods. I know there's one that adds recipes that do something like 10x input for 10x output to just reduce the total number of machines you need. That feels kind of game-breaky to me, though, as I understand the the machine size and space the builds demand is supposed to be part of the fun/balance. But building 150 constructors to make Cable was not fun - I found a sort of peace with it, just zen out and build a shitload of machines but the amount of clicking and fiddling got really annoying. Designing a factory is fun, repeating the same build 20 times because you need 60 machines is not. Give me some blueprints for fucks sake.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
OH GOD THE SPIDERS CAN JUMP :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I loaded my world today to see what chaos the Satisfactory gods created.
And while my rails/conveyors do spend quite a few meters inside hills/rock spires now, overall my stuff still works and I duped/moved my factory for nothing.
But while hovering around the map I did discover the same thing and kept getting chased by large spiders on top of my rails where they've never been before.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

MerrMan posted:

I don't think I'll play this again without mods. I know there's one that adds recipes that do something like 10x input for 10x output to just reduce the total number of machines you need. That feels kind of game-breaky to me, though, as I understand the the machine size and space the builds demand is supposed to be part of the fun/balance. But building 150 constructors to make Cable was not fun - I found a sort of peace with it, just zen out and build a shitload of machines but the amount of clicking and fiddling got really annoying. Designing a factory is fun, repeating the same build 20 times because you need 60 machines is not. Give me some blueprints for fucks sake.

I wouldn't have been able to finish the game without the SMART mod. Laying out the 450-ish machines in my metal factory alone, not to mention manually attaching splitters/mergers/conveyors, would have killed me. If I had to make it look nice it would be deemed an impossible task and shelved. The balancing effect of space and planning is completely negated by hovering platforms/rail lines which are required due to the sheer volume of machinery involved. I suppose there's a case for extremely crazy rail schedules and modular design that has a dozen factories for every component nicely slotted into tiny places but that's way too much for my brain.

I guess in the end if I can't automate the building of something I'll take "machine that does the thing, but 20x faster than old machine" as a consolation prize. Then I can focus on smaller, spiffy-looking factories that might actually be physically possible instead of floating behemoths connected by floating rail lines.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I was running along one of those stone arch things that was high enough up that a fall would kill me. I hear some noise behind me and I turn around and see the spider on the far end and think whatever, it probably can't path to me. And if it can, I'm already this far away. Then it loving screeches and leaps like 30 feet into the air straight towards me. I turn around and run and I can see its loving shadow as it makes another leap :gonk:

I'm not going back until I get a rifle.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Leal posted:

I was running along one of those stone arch things that was high enough up that a fall would kill me. I hear some noise behind me and I turn around and see the spider on the far end and think whatever, it probably can't path to me. And if it can, I'm already this far away. Then it loving screeches and leaps like 30 feet into the air straight towards me. I turn around and run and I can see its loving shadow as it makes another leap :gonk:

I'm not going back until I get a rifle.

If you have the speedy boots, they come with a passive that lets you survive any fall regardless of distance so long as you have full HP, so in an emergency you can yeet yourself off the side and heal up after.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Are there recommendations for non-cheaty and QoL mods to progress through the early game a bit faster?
Took a break from the game since Update 4 (I think?), and just bought it again as it was on Steam-sale (so I can finally be free of the Epic store shackles), and in every single previous playthrough since 2019, the tedius nature of slogging through the early game combined with the tediousness of mass-planning/building (without blueprints) was what burned me out and I'd like to make it to the endgame this time.

From some thread-browsing, I gather that SMART is a staple mod, and I've been eyeballing MK++, Daisy chain power cables and such.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I like the small storage containers for tapping off a bit of resources before you have smart splitters.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 25, 2022

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

I use
Destructible Gas Pillars https://ficsit.app/mod/DestructibleGasPillars
Container Screens https://ficsit.app/mod/ContainerScreen
and Auto Loot https://ficsit.app/mod/AutoGetLoot
That last one can be rather cheaty because it has a wide range and can grab stuff around hard drives surrounded by gas/rads.
I usually have to turn it off after awhile because it fills up my inventory with edibles.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 25, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Duzzy Funlop posted:

From some thread-browsing, I gather that SMART is a staple mod, and I've been eyeballing MK++, Daisy chain power cables and such.

Smart is good if large scale builds & repeated action is what is getting you down. The current tricks it can do with auto-belting make basic layouts very easy if that's your bag. Only downside is Smart auto-belting isn't exactly compact. And smart has zero impact on saves.

Daisy chain mod is IMO not great, because it makes a whole second set of machines and your save now 100% depends on having the mod. And honestly I just don't see how the power lines save that much time, with the improvements to power line placement. Slapping down power lines is easily the fastest part of building.

MK++ seems like it wouldn't help the early game very much, all the ++ stuff is research unlocks up the tree isn't it?

If the early game slog is not fun and you've done it before, throw your save into the save editor and unlock everything up to coal power or whatever, and give yourself a couple alt recipes that you want the most.

Collateral Damage posted:

I like the small storage containers for tapping off a bit of resources for before you have smart splitters.

I liked those too, but then had to run around removing them all before an update. That was when I decided to stick to vanilla buildings and only use mods that are zero impact if removed. (Smart, micromanage)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

wasn't there some improvements to recipe copy/paste? did i imagine that being talked about during the experimental phase?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ninjewtsu posted:

wasn't there some improvements to recipe copy/paste? did i imagine that being talked about during the experimental phase?

yes. you can ctrl-v while pointing at a machine in interaction range, it pastes the recipe without needing to open the control panel.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I have a mouse profile with CTRL+C and CTRL+V mapped to the back/forward buttons.

makes life easier in big plants.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah the biggest QoL change your can do for yourself is rebind the Paste Settings to something you can hit without taking your hand off WASD.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wanted to test the personal teleporter mod, but half of the mod's description is the author begging for crypto donations. :negative:

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Klyith posted:

Daisy chain mod is IMO not great, because it makes a whole second set of machines and your save now 100% depends on having the mod. And honestly I just don't see how the power lines save that much time, with the improvements to power line placement. Slapping down power lines is easily the fastest part of building.

There is a newer version of that mod that doesn't create a new set of machines or a forever dependency: https://ficsit.app/mod/76f3z8xSJoAazj. Removing the mod is harmless. Your machines with more than one connection remain as is until deconstructed.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I started a new game in Update 6, and was bebopping around when I came across something weird. Note that I was working on unlocking T5/6.

When did hogs get this upgrade?!

It also dropped exactly what you'd expect!

So now I have a jetpack before I even unlocked the milestone to unlock fuel!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's either a rare spawn or in a specific location but yes. Jet-Hog exists and is hilarious.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97W6kSOD7bQ

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
Just unlocked the jetpack on my new U6 save, and being able to use it and the blade runners simultaneously is such a gamechanger. Slide jump into jetpack all day erryday.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Jetpack is just fantastic, especially when you like to build vertically.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Today I realized I was running out of power for the next big build I wanted to make so I spent a few hours making 40 fuel burners

Then I realized with some alternate recipes I could make three times as many in the factory I was planning for but for that I needed 18 plastic a minute so I built this which if I did the math right should warm up to give me 800 plastic per minute.

Now I'm finally ready for the new factory I was planning to buld, heavy modular frames which I needed for... *checks notes* - fuel power generators. I love this game

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I saw the changes made to radio towers would also show hard drives in the tower's radius, but that doesn't seem to be the case in game? Am I missing something with that?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Leal posted:

I saw the changes made to radio towers would also show hard drives in the tower's radius, but that doesn't seem to be the case in game? Am I missing something with that?

You gotta get the object scanner upgrade to pick up hard drives for it. After that, the radar tower will tell you how many drives are in its radius. It won't tell you where they are, but it does at least give an idea/help you narrow down where to look.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Dammit :negative:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Holy poo poo scanners no longer pick up crash sites you already opened?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Leal posted:

What!?! This is fantastic!

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Does the scanner tell you what it takes to open the crash site?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Leal posted:

Yo that's what I like to hear, I'm not into radio towers, and this was pretty much my main beef with hard drives. No more having to import my save to the online map to figure out what hard drives I've forgotten.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

boxen posted:

Does the scanner tell you what it takes to open the crash site?

You still need to go up to them to see what they need, but now that radar towers will show you how many drives are in it's radius (and also doesn't count ones you already opened) you can waltz around its radius with the scanner and never worry about going to a crash site you already opened.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Goos lord, I have started playing this game on Thursday night and have now played 25 hours, 12 of which were literally every free minute yesterday. Woke up this morning thinking about whether I should explore more with my new buggy or rebuild my spaghetti base completely finally as I'm running into a lot of inefficient bottle becks. Then there's the entire plastic and oil production that is still rudimentary...

Factorio didn't quite work for me, Dyson sphere program I spent a good 100 hours in, but this, this is like digital crack for me. Funniest thing is playing for dozens of hours and only then unlocking simple stuff like the blade runners, or discovering the snap on splitters only 15 hours in. Before stopping for the night I looked at a video explaining that there is alignment options when building, i really could have used this information many hours ago.

Anyway, time to get a coffee and to get building.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
yeah, i find im more of a lawful evil builder, myself

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 2, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

the aesthetics of belt spaghetti in this game are fantastic, i often make things harder on myself just for the dysfunctional dystopian cyberpunk vibe

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I will pave the world and soon everything will be snapped to the grid. EVERYTHING!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Going on my 4th playthrough and I finally started using hypertube cannons and holy poo poo why haven't I used these before.

Cannon at my hub

Cannon set up where some bauxite is at for return trips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Son of Rodney posted:

Goos lord, I have started playing this game on Thursday night and have now played 25 hours, 12 of which were literally every free minute yesterday. Woke up this morning thinking about whether I should explore more with my new buggy or rebuild my spaghetti base completely finally as I'm running into a lot of inefficient bottle becks. Then there's the entire plastic and oil production that is still rudimentary...

Time spent tearing down and rebuilding a factory is time that could have been spent building another one. Early game factories are generally going to be suboptimal but if you need more of something it's better to make a new production line with faster belts and miners. The map is huge and you'll run out of FPS before you run out of resource nodes, no need to worry about trying to maximize the output from whatever iron/copper nodes you've already tapped.